different kind of driving interface

• Thread starter Aggdaddy
  • 27 comments
Advertising are we?

Acceptable Use Policy
You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, all of which are inappropriate and prohibited in the Forums. This includes any solicitations to buy or sell a product or service of any kind.

Anyway, I don't like this idea. I don't see anything wrong with the DS2 (even though I use the DFP now) and think your suggestion looks clumsy.

Its not meant to be an advertisement. I am looking for opinions. I think if I was advertising, there would be a link to an online store or something like that.

So what kind of controller do you use?

Aggdaddy
Its not meant to be an advertisement. I am looking for opinions. I think if I was advertising, there would be a link to an online store or something like that.

Well, judging by the text on the image (i.e. "Mail Order & Catalogue Shopping, Internet Sites, TV Infomercials, Exporters") it would appear to me that you're either attempting to sell this now, or will be in the future (I'd imagine it'd be in the future, since you also say a prototype is available. This looks like advertising to me...is the product your design or do you have anything to do with the product (bearing in mind the starting post of this thread is your first post on this forum, even though you registered in April last year)

Aggdaddy
So what kind of controller do you use?

I've already answered this...I use the DFP (Logitech Driving Force Pro) now, but before that I used the DS2.

Wow you guys are critical. Hey man, I'm just looking for ideas and opinions. If you don't like it that's cool. Move along.

DS2? I'm guessing that is the dual shock controller for the PS2? Well I always had trouble putting down some decent times with the regular gamepad. I have tried a few wheel and pedal combos, but its no good unless you spend some time setting up your wheel on a platform and keep your pedals from moving.

Its ok if you have some room to leave that wheel and pedal combo up, but I don't have that much room to leave that setup in my apartment.

The picture came from another site, where I just selected part of the picture to paste here. I thought it was a good idea for an easy driving setup.

There's definitely a fine line between advertising for personal gain, or advertising because to think an idea is cool, or beneficial. I see no, "Buy It Now" button so carry on.

It's an interesting idea, I would think that a lot of us have had some kind of exposure to "Magnum" style controllers at some point in our lives, thinking it was strange at first, but found it to be comfortable and easy to use. It might be the same scenario for game play as well. Please share your experience should you get your hands on a product like this....be sure to include your lap time comparisons. :-)

:cheers:

Finally someone else that agrees with me. I drive rc cars and I think that this same style of controller could be useful in games.

Certainly not to replace the wheel and pedal combo, but perhaps a nice alternative to those of us who doesn't have the big budget for the driving force pro wheel and pedals and table or "cockpit" to take advantage of the wheel properly.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, anyone else?

There's already a chinese controller with the rc steering wheel, but not with the classic RC pistol grip style controller.

Not right now... I've only seen it in stores.

Basically, it looks like a chubby dual-shock, with the left stick replaced by a steering wheel slightly smaller than that on a standard RC controller (maybe 3/4 size) and the X and square buttons (since GT, these have pretty much become standard gas-brake buttons) about half an inch high, for better throttle/brake modulation. Been thinking of getting it, but since it's selling for only 5-7$ (not sure), I'm afraid it might be a piece of ****.

oh ok. I think I know what you are talking about. I'll copy a link of it tomorrow.

This one seems like it could be more comfortable though. I purchased a used controller at Gamestop that was similar to the gun type controller, but mechanically it didn't work. Its called the Ultra Racer and has a steering wheel similar to this gun type contoller I posted a picture of.

atteiros
There is one for the PS1, but I don't know if there's one for the PS2. Although it might work for some games. My cousin had one, but we never got to try it on the PS2. http://www.gamecritics.com/review/hhracwheel_hw/main

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have not seen that controller and I thought I have seen all of the controllers that were similar in design.

Doesn't seem like its available anywhere though.

Have you used a controller like that?

Aggdaddy
Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have not seen that controller and I thought I have seen all of the controllers that were similar in design.

Doesn't seem like its available anywhere though.

Have you used a controller like that?

Yeah, but that was years ago. Too bad Mad Catz neve came out with one for the PS2. One cool idea for a controller: I remember using the Ridge Racer Negcon controller. It looks different, but handles the same way as an RC controller. Good thing about it was that you still have buttons available for the right hand. Wasn't too popular though, as it wasn't that ergonomic. About an hour on that thing can cause cramps. But it was innovative. If you're looking for ideas for a controller, you might want to check it out...

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/193/joypadnegcon5ub.jpg

I have seen that controller, but I never knew what it was for. Didn't look like it was for driving.

Mad Catz makes a lot of controllers, but their reliability wasn't too good. I've yet to use a controller from Mad Catz that has lasted longer than a few months.

So I am guessing not many people have tried to drive Gran Tursimo 4 with a rc type controller? Everyone likes to use a wheel and pedal combo everytime you want to drive your favorite race car game?

Cool,

Do you think you would choose to use an rc style controller with the same quality of feel as a Futaba over a a regular ps2 controller for driving games?

Well, playing racing video games with that kind of pistol controler is an interesting idea.

But RC cars and real cars do have very different handlings. I don't think you could drive a RC car with a "steering wheel + pedals" controler, or you could control a real car with a pistol controler. Commands would not fit to the vehicules (in particular for the weight and inertness, so for gear box control).

And most of driving games are about "real" cars simulation.

So pistol controler might be a got idea to fit RC video games, but I don't think it would be adapted to racing simulations.

But I never tried that, may be I'm wrong!

(sorry for my ugly English...)

Your english was just fine. :)

I haven't tried that DFP yet, but I have used a steering wheel and pedals with many racing games. I think the best driving interface I have used besides a real car would be that Ferrari 355 Challenge simulator. You can shift and use the clutch. But none of them can simulate g-forces, which would really give you a good feel for the car.

I know that the DFP has the force feedback and I think that Ferrari sim had it too, but for me, it doesn't really help me get around the race track any better. They are just controls that we are accustomed to, and most of us would prefer something we are accustomed to and probably use everyday (drive to work everyday society) :)

But I think any decent controller that has good tactile feedback can be used to win races.

for the most part your correct. if anyone's followed my posted (which i highly doubt) i've went from HATING ffb to sort of relying on it. to me though i'm so accusume to RC pisols (can't deal with sticks) that i identify with both.

i've driven RC for most of my life. raced nitro competitively, for the last 5 years so it's a tough 'habit' to break.

Good idea if it was for an RC game based on RC cars and the like but not for serious gaming. It reminds me of the good old Negcon now that was an inovative way to play.

Speaking of RC controllers... In GT4, you can set-up the DS2 like an RC stick controller, but does any one know how to switch the throttle to the right stick instead of the left? :confused: :confused:

Well anyway... there are other weird racing game controllers out there. I even remember a PS1 controller with a small free spinning circle with the d-pad in the middle. It had a notch at the center to turn it left or right. Another controller I recently saw (PS2) had a Rubber wheel in place of the left analog stick. I'm still looking for the pics I took of itn so I can post it here. Anyone seen those?

Yes, I remember that PS1 controller, it was sold with Ridge Racer 4. The feedback I read about this device wasn't very good, the handling was not natural and the Dual Shock had more accuracy.

I don't catch your problem with the DS2 in GT4. I think you have the Throttle/Brake controls on the right stick as default setup...
If you meant "set the throttle on the left stick", I don't think it's possible in GT4 (you could do that in GT2).

I used to have a grey PS1 controller that had a pistol-like throttle and an RC-like steering wheel. Don't have a picture of it anymore, though... but the thing was kinda good. It was even usable for both left- and righthanded lads. After a couple of weeks I got really used to it and stuck to it (for all GT use) until the PS2 came out. I also had a negcon, but I really hated that thing. :yuck:

Back in my RC-Racing-Days I used to have a stick controller, so I've had thoughts about mounting sticks onto a DS2 controller for increased accuracy. Never really tried that though...

Plus, ever since steering wheels are actually kind of working (GTConcept, GTPrologue and GT4) my DS2 skills are slowly fading to extinction. It's kinda hard to believe that there are people who got fierce laptimes and excellent drift control... and are still using the d-pad! Hats off to them! :D

Barry Burton
Yes, I remember that PS1 controller, it was sold with Ridge Racer 4. The feedback I read about this device wasn't very good, the handling was not natural and the Dual Shock had more accuracy.

I don't catch your problem with the DS2 in GT4. I think you have the Throttle/Brake controls on the right stick as default setup...
If you meant "set the throttle on the left stick", I don't think it's possible in GT4 (you could do that in GT2).

Yeah that was what I meant... I was originally typing "...does any one know how to switch the throttle and the steering so that the steering is on the right stick instead of the left?" :banghead:

Too bad it's not possible on GT4... oh well...

atteiros
Yeah that was what I meant... I was originally typing "...does any one know how to switch the throttle and the steering so that the steering is on the right stick instead of the left?" :banghead:

Too bad it's not possible on GT4... oh well...

💡 May be you could try and handle your DS2 upside-down, while watching your monitor in a mirror.
...sorry. :D

Latest Posts

Back