DIY 8020 Rig - DIY vs ordering ready to assemble

• Thread starter Keluna
  • 4 comments
United States
Washington State
Keluna
Just started looking at the 80/20 Inc PDF catalog - looks like everything except pedal mounting plates and seat can be purchased for a DIY rig.

Have not designed or priced out cost of this versus ordering a kit ready to assemble. Wondering if anyone else has considered doing this?

80/20 Catalog

Did some speculative pricing, 2 60" lengths of this for the main rails priced out to $326 plus shipping.

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 10.40.35 AM.png

Last edited:
I had a look at it when building my rig earlier this year and by the time I added up postage and parts from the various places i was going to need for a full rig it wasn't much cheaper than the Track Racer rig i purchased. I decided it wasn't worth the extra effort for me.

I'm in Australia though so if it's not a direct comparison, if it was significant saving I would absolutely go down the design/order your own parts though.

Thanks for the reply Shaun - Iʻm still researching, determining the material and profile that is strong enough for the main rails.

Amazon US has better pricing for 2080, black anodized, 1500mm (59") in length, $145 plus $26 shipping for 2 lengths.

T-slot 2080 1500mm black

This short read taught me a few things about aluminum extrusions.

Makeuseof.com

Last edited:
Edit 1-11-23 Cancelled order for square steel frame GTR Simulator - really want aluminum frame this time.

I put the DIY project on hold after ordering what I considered a deal from Amazon, $350 after $100 gift card Amazon gave me for signing up for a Prime Card, plus 12 months to pay interest free. It was the white power coating and blue chair that sold me...

Build on this looks similar to the Next Level Racing wheel stand I have now, used with a separate gaming chair. That setup is going to be repurposed to the garage for flight sims. I use a wall mounted 32" TV, but may look at a DIY aluminum monitor stand. Next purchase is the Fanatec DD Pro wheel to replace my Thrustmaster Ferrari Alcantara. Delivery expected January 19, will review then.

GTR Simulator GTA Model White Frame with Adjustable Blue White Leatherette Racing Seat

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 10.57.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Back