DIY PVC Racing Rig

England
London, UK
TAM-Spencer
Ive just cleared the spare room out, ahem i mean the "man cave" with a view to puting a DIY racing rig in, I was looking around at some other efforts and saw that there are quite a few PVC pipe racing rigs, I have use PVC solvent and PVC piping to fit drainage for sinks/baths in the past but it just seems to me that even once its part of a solid structure PVC pipes wouldnt have much strength, i could see it moving around a lot.

I was wondering if anyone here has built a homemade rig of PVC pipe and could maybe give me some advice.

EDIT - Think i found the answer to my own question
http://www.ixi-devices.com/index.ph...Material-Resources-and-Kits/View-all-products

Last edited:
I'd recommend checking these guys out:

Link: http://projectsimulation.webs.com/gt1-cockpit

This one looks like a great GT style option, and there is an F1 seating position as well but it is not PVC.

If you are worried about movement, use larger gauge pipe and you can brace it with plywood or particle board in areas that are particularly unstable. Most people who build them right don't need to, but I can understand someone like myself who is ocd about my cockpit having no movement, so I built mine out of 1" galvanized pipe! lol

Thx for the info guys, and nasty yh id be interested in what you built, send me a few pics/measurements on psn maybe

This one looks like a great GT style option, and there is an F1 seating position as well but it is not PVC.

If you are worried about movement, use larger gauge pipe and you can brace it with plywood or particle board in areas that are particularly unstable. Most people who build them right don't need to, but I can understand someone like myself who is ocd about my cockpit having no movement, so I built mine out of 1" galvanized pipe! lol

Im 6ft 2" and about 215 pounds lol, so whatever i build i also want zero movement !

edit :-

I just watched both video for this rig, and although id make a few changes i was surprised at just how solid it actually was.

Last edited:
You could always dump in some sand in the bottom pieces of the PVC rig to help add a little weight.

Thats a not bad idea, Ive downloaded the plans for that rig from inside sim racing, im going to change it a little but on the whole it looks like a really neat way to build it, for added stiffness im going to add some ply pieces in between some of the sections.

Thx for the info guys, and nasty yh id be interested in what you built, send me a few pics/measurements on psn maybe

This is what I built:

20130812_002216_zps1bfb9342.jpg

It does not move at ALL since I have it built it on a large piece of plywood that the seat it on as well.

Do you want measurements for the wood?

This is what I built:

It does not move at ALL since I have it built it on a large piece of plywood that the seat it on as well.

Do you want measurements for the wood?

Looks solid Nasty, yh id be interested in the dimensions you used, also where did the playseat come from? dont they usually come as part of a full rig on their own?

Ive just cleared the spare room out, ahem i mean the "man cave" with a view to puting a DIY racing rig in, I was looking around at some other efforts and saw that there are quite a few PVC pipe racing rigs, I have use PVC solvent and PVC piping to fit drainage for sinks/baths in the past but it just seems to me that even once its part of a solid structure PVC pipes wouldnt have much strength, i could see it moving around a lot.

I was wondering if anyone here has built a homemade rig of PVC pipe and could maybe give me some advice.

EDIT - Think i found the answer to my own question
http://www.ixi-devices.com/index.ph...Material-Resources-and-Kits/View-all-products

Use the 2" ips sched 40 pipe and triangulate the rig. It will be extremely sturdy.

Back