DIY Wheel stand - 99% complete

• Thread starter stg
  • 0 comments

stg

Poland
Poland
ahojekk
After ordering Driving Force GT, I had to make me a wheel stand. Didnt have problems with wood, as my father runs a woodworker workshop. Not thinking long I started making the stand.

First of all I had to choose the wood, I found some exotic wood. One Merbau plank (a very solid, thick wood), and some scraps of some other exotic wood, dont really know whats that, but used it for the base.

Started with preparing the base, so I made such parts to fit each other, decided to to glue the base togheter instead on screwing it (if gluing wouldnt be enough I could still screw the base without a problem)

4INxm.jpg

BmTw8.jpg

After about 10 minutes, when it got a little hard I cleaned the glue that got to the surface.

LFbAl.jpg

Then I did let the base dry for 24 hours. And concentrated on the legs and the shelf where the wheel will sit. Did some cutting, and used a router to soften the edges of all parts.

After 24 hours when the base got dry I screwed four pieces of wood where the legs will be bolted. Bought all the bolts I needed for this for about 3,6$ (12 PLN). I've put everything together and here it is:

aSp2b.jpg

8GJnZ.jpg

I'm really happy with the final effect, still not 100% ready as I would like to paint the base black, but I really wanted to play on it so will do this when I'll have some longer BSpec racing in GT5.

I'm really surprised how stable is the stand, I didnt use a cross element to strengthen the legs and its still reaaaly stable propably thanks to exotic wood and its thickness. I used butterfly bolts on the legs, and the shelf so I can adjust it as I like most, and normal bolts on legs to base connection. Well I didnt make anything for the pedals as they really hold great to the carpet with those spikes attached to them.

So a total cost of this stand was 3.6$ as I had free wood, and everything else, it took about 4 to 5 hours to make it. This is with the planning phase, which took some time to get those dimentions right.

I think thats all, if someone would like to make a similiar stand let me know I'll post all dimensions here 👍.

Back