DKW-VEMAG Malzoni II 1963

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 7 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents the DKW-VEMAG Malzoni II ‘prototype’ from 1963.
This car gave birth to the legendary Brazilian car make, Puma.
Actually Brazil’s two-stroke Ferrari chaser!

This suggestion comes from my friend JogoAsobi who grew up in Brasil..

687atj.jpg

Here is the perfect question for car experts who think they know everything: What makes an excited ring-ding-ding but looks like a shrunken Ferrari? Which car wears Pininfarina-style couture, from the Plexiglass covers on its headlights to its cheekily terminated tail, yet also trails gentle puffs of blue two-stroke clouds? Hardly anybody in Europe will know.

Yes, it is was a DKW-VEMAG Malzoni II ‘prototype’.

To celebrate the anniversary of 50 years of creation of the most famous sports brand, Puma in Brazil.
This car is the single copy of a car with an incalculable historical value for Brazil, the DKW-VEMAG Malzoni II ‘prototype’.

At one time Brazil had 100% Brazilian auto plants. Among the most successful brands was Puma, which produced 22,000 cars and exported to 50 countries. Puma created models that were dreams consumption of young Brazilians.

Italian-style chic, German technology and Brazilian inspiration made this tiny coupe a motor sport sensation - and ensured it lived up to its maker's Das Kleine Wunder epithet.
In 1961, the idea was born to make a DKW racing car who could compete with Willys Interlagos, Simca’s and Alfa Romeos.

The Malzoni II ‘prototype’ had a full steel body, later production cars were made of fibre.

The prototype was also well known by his charming black stripe. The car had an two-stroke engine (1000cc) which produces between the 85 and 88hp. It’s weight was only 790 kg and so extremely light for that time.

The Malzoni II competed in four races and won the 12 hours of Interlagos race.

Now everyone wants to know why the called the Malzoni II and not I, because the Mazlzoni I was a street car and not a racing car, the street car was also 150 kg heavier.

VEMAG was the name of the Brazilian racing team where the Malzoni II was used.

It was also VEMAG who ordered new chassis for the season 1965, the Malzoni III was the expected car made of fibre instead of steel. But it was a disaster for the team, the car was simple to heavy.

Then the Malzoni IV appears and it was such an amazing racing car and won 26% of the races he competed in Brazil. The GT Malzoni was born (see my other thread).

I wish I could afford a replica of this car ... only 85hp? Who cares I love this car.

izlwg3.jpg

1192c74.jpg

1zfsxec.jpg

The good old days.

Sorry, only in Brazilian language

2dc6a78.jpg

HERE IS THE OTHER DKW:

RELATED CAR:

Last edited:
Specs...

• Engine: 981cc in-line, 3-cylinder, two-stroke, two Weber 45DCOE 9 carburettors
  • Power: 59 BHP at 4500rpm (road) / 95-114 BHP at 6000rpm (race)
  • Transmission: 4-speed manual, front-wheel drive
  • Steering Rack and pinion
  • Suspension Front: upper wishbones, lower transverse leaf spring, telescopic dampers
  • Suspension Rear: beam axle, trailing arms, transverse leaf spring, telescopic dampers
  • Brakes: Drums front and rear
  • Weight: 750kg (680kg in race trim)
  • Performance: Top speed 91-119mph

forum_old.gif

Although it's an inline-3 cylinder, it sounded beautifully like an inline-6, as it is a two-stroke. Other DKW models of the time came with a special badge where you could read "3=6", referring to the "advantage" of the two-stroke.

If it makes it to the game, though, I think it would be hard to PD to model the path of blue smoke it makes as it goes...

Latest Posts

Back