Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,475 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 623 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,050 51.5%

• Total voters
To say suffering is bad is a subjective opinion
When society as a collective group would agree on the opinion that suffering is bad, it pretty much becomes borderline fact.

suffering is just a part of life and is inescapable
Which most people acknowledge.

and should just be accepted as part of the design of the universe.
And this is where the unhinged take starts. No, if suffering can be addressed, it should not "just be accepted".

To argue that suffering shouldn't exist is to literally argue against how the universe works and I'd say that the universe as it is works fine
Again, the unhinged take comes rearing back b/c this stance is once again is basically arguing that human suffering should not be addressed at all b/c the universe made it that way.

Except last I checked, the universe also works in a way that humans continue to develop advancements to end human suffering as much as possible.

without the opinion of a human saying what should and shouldn't exist
Ironically enough, this is literally a backbone of your entire time in this read; telling the rest of us what we should & shouldn't be doing under the basis of nothing more than the opinion of another human.

So the basic gist I'm getting from here is that suffering is bad and thus God can't be all powerful and loving and that it serves no purpose.
Suffering would be evil for someone (a God) to intentionally inflict. It arises in humans from natural selection rather than being intentionally inflicted upon the species.

To say suffering is bad is a subjective opinion, suffering is just a part of life and is inescapable and should just be accepted as part of the design of the universe.
What do you mean "accepted"? Your house and clothes are preventing you from suffering right now. You shouldn't have them, it's not the universe's design for you to have such things.
To argue that suffering shouldn't exist is to literally argue against how the universe works and I'd say that the universe as it is works fine without the opinion of a human saying what should and shouldn't exist (trying to play God as if you as a human are some kind of authority on how the universe should or shouldn't be).
Suffering exists because of natural selection. Natural selection does a lot of weird things, things which cause problems in the modern world. If your head hurts, taking some medicine to dull the pain is not causing a problem. The universe doesn't care if you stop your headache. If you don't like your suffering, or you don't like the suffering of others, the universe doesn't mind if you mitigate it.
To say suffering serves no purpose has to be put into a context, how does suffering serve no purpose?
Suffering exists because it keeps you alive long enough to procreate. That's its purpose. That's its only purpose. It's not a purpose we need to take seriously, because our purpose doesn't have to be natural selection's purpose.
it must exist for a reason
It exists because of natural selection, as I have explained.
nothing really serves a greater purpose and everything is ultimately pointless
Uh... no idea what you're talking about here. I think you just said if you're not religious you don't care about God. Which... yea.

Last edited:
When society as a collective group would agree on the opinion that suffering is bad, it pretty much becomes borderline fact.
That's called a collective opinion or rather group think, the Nazi regime was a collective opinion, do you agree with the stances that they took?

That's called a collective opinion or rather group think, the Nazi regime was a collective opinion, do you agree with the stances that they took?
LOL, there's a major gap where the vast majority of human society as a whole (8.1 billion) people find common ground on a stance (human suffering being bad) vs. a Nazi regime that had 8.5 million (10% of the German population alone) at its peak. Collective opinion actually decided Nazism was so bad, we literally fought a global war to eradicate it.

Your attempt at a gotcha is pretty funny though. "Oh yeah, so you think Nazis had a good stance" coming from the guy whose literally been arguing human suffering must be accepted b/c the universe says so.

Last edited:
This is the thread where if you don't align with the collective group think here you're basically disturbing the status quo and close mindedness of the individuals that commonly participate in it.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Mirrors must weep as you walk by them.

LOL, there's a major gap where the vast majority of human society as a whole (8.1 billion) people find common ground on a stance (human suffering being bad)
So because 8 billion people have a opinion and agree on something that automatically makes it a fact of reality? Guess what, 8 billion opinions don't hold a candle to reality itself and the truths of reality as they stand.

So because 8 billion people have a opinion and agree on something that automatically makes it a fact of reality? Guess what, 8 billion opinions don't hold a candle to reality itself and the truths of reality as they stand.
LOL, immediately flipped the goal post back to, "Oh yeah, well my reality says".

Shame I already cut your retort off beforehand.
"it pretty much becomes borderline fact."

8 billion opinions ARE reality. They don't need to hold a candle to it because they are part of it.

Why do you seem to think humans are not part of reality or are not part of nature?

Shame I already cut your retort off beforehand.
"it pretty much becomes borderline fact."
You're saying that because 8 billion people have an opinion automatically somehow makes it a fact, that's your reasoning and you're basically patting yourself and telling yourself you're right based off of your own opinion (human trying to play the authority of God). Guess what, 8 billion people can have the opinion that suffering is bad but the fact of reality is that suffering is a part of reality and the human experience. 8 billion opinions vs reality, reality will win 100% of the time.

If an extinction level asteroid were to come into orbit of the Earth I'm sure most people would see it as being a bad thing. But guess what, the actual fact of reality would be that said asteroid would be on course to wipe out all life on Earth and reality wouldn't deem anything as being wrong or try to prevent such an event all because humans would view it is being bad. Opinion is opinion, reality is reality, you need to learn the difference.

You're saying that because 8 billion people have an opinion automatically somehow makes it a fact.
Lol, why do you think I used the term, "borderline"?

I acknowledge it's not a proven fact, however, collective society as a whole would agree that human suffering is bad to the point it is accepted as much as a factual statement would be.

But hey, if you were addressing a group of people with some of the statements you've made in this thread regarding child suffering not being wrong b/c reality makes it so, good luck with the consequences of reality of pissing off people as well.

human trying to play the authority of God
Says the guy trying to tell everyone how to think and accept life, & justifying it as if he's speaking for God? You're such a hilarious contradiction.

you need to learn the difference
Says the guy who can't differentiate that the two are not some sort of mutually exclusive terms to the point he believes his "reality" should not be challenged at all.

Last edited:
You're saying that because 8 billion people have an opinion automatically somehow makes it a fact, that's your reasoning and you're basically patting yourself and telling yourself you're right based off of your own opinion (human trying to play the authority of God). Guess what, 8 billion people can have the opinion that suffering is bad but the fact of reality is that suffering is a part of reality and the human experience. 8 billion opinions vs reality, reality will win 100% of the time.

If an extinction level asteroid were to come into orbit of the Earth I'm sure most people would see it as being a bad thing. But guess what, the actual fact of reality would be that said asteroid would be on course to wipe out all life on Earth and reality wouldn't deem anything as being wrong or try to prevent such an event all because humans would view it is being bad. Opinion is opinion, reality is reality, you need to learn the difference.
Again, those 8 billion people are part of reality. They don't change the universe's opinion because it doesn't have one. They have an opinion, and that opinion is part of reality. There is no conflict. There are 8 billion people who think suffering and asteroid destruction is bad, and then there's the universe which doesn't confirm or deny it. That's reality, opinion included.

Opinion is not outside of reality.

Again trying to play God, suffering is a part of reality and you're basically saying that it shouldn't be which is just arguing with reality which is the most futile endeavor possible.
Wait, what? No one is saying that suffering "shouldn't be part of reality". Reality is reality. There is nothing that should or shouldn't be part of reality.

What people are saying is that suffering is not a desirable part of reality. We're questioning why an alleged omnipotent being that allegedly loved its alleged creations would then choose to make them suffer.

You say we "can't accept reality", but non-believers are the poster children for accepting reality. We accept that the universe is only what can be physically observed, and we accept that we don't yet have the tools to understand everything about it and so our understanding is incomplete. We recognize that incompleteness and accept it, while always trying to expand our knowledge by observing the universe in ever-increasing detail.

If you think we are not accepting reality, then have your god demonstrate the "real" reality by physically manifesting and proving they exist.

1719593752171.jpeg

Last edited:
So the basic gist I'm getting from here is that suffering is bad and thus God can't be all powerful and loving and that it serves no purpose. To say suffering is bad is a subjective opinion, suffering is just a part of life and is inescapable and should just be accepted as part of the design of the universe. To argue that suffering shouldn't exist is to literally argue against how the universe works and I'd say that the universe as it is works fine without the opinion of a human saying what should and shouldn't exist (trying to play God as if you as a human are some kind of authority on how the universe should or shouldn't be).
Nope. Some suffering "is just a part of life". When a comet falls from the sky and destroys your house, that will cause suffering and that's just what it is.

But what people do afterwards can have a significant effect on how you suffer too. One could imagine a town where the people loot what remains of your stuff, and you're stuck living in a tent or under a bridge because now you have no place to stay. You lose your job because you can't get enough sleep and stay clean and tidy, and you're not able to deal with the stress of what has happened to you. You get assaulted a couple of times because you're living on the street, and you start doing drugs just to try and cope with the nightmare your life has turned into.

That's a lot of extra suffering that didn't need to exist if the people around you had been kind and helpful. Maybe they helped you gather your stuff and offered to store it for you while you sort things out. Someone offers you a couch or spare room to stay in. Your boss cuts you some slack and work and only needs you part time while you sort things out. The medical system offers free mental health care for people who have gone through traumatic experiences. And all this lets you process what happened and work to get your life back on track with no more suffering than was necessary.

Pretty different, right? There was some aspects of "suffering" that were unavoidable, but they were direct consequences of natural events or significantly unlucky things that were not obviously intentional or negligent on the part of other humans.

That's not the case with something like child rape. Someone chose to rape a child and make their life worse in a way that did not need to happen. The world would be a better place if the rapist had not made the decisions that they did.

If you think that's subjectively wrong, you're a monster.
If you think that stuff just happens and people shouldn't have an opinion on it, you're a monster.
If you think that's an example of the universe working fine, you're a ****ing monster.
...but the fact is that it exists and it must exist for a reason...
Must it? Why? Why must everything exist for a reason?

You accuse others of not being open minded and then come out with this stunner.
You're just baffling on about how you don't like suffering and are trying to use your human logic to reason why something that exists in reality shouldn't exist purely because you don't like it.
Not liking it is in the definition of suffering. If people enjoyed it, it wouldn't be suffering.

Of course, there is a certain type of person who takes joy in seeing others suffer. We have plenty of words for those people and none of them are considered positive character traits.
This is the thread where if you don't align with the collective group think here you're basically disturbing the status quo and close mindedness of the individuals that commonly participate in it.
Mate, when the collective group think you're referring to is "raping children is bad" you might wanna take a step back for a moment and look at yourself in the mirror.

Is that the person you want to be? Is that the hill you want to die on? Or maybe if your belief system is leading you to the point that you're defending children being raped as inevitable and necessary there's something wrong here and you might want to examine whether this is really what you want.

That said, that's the kind view. You've been stoutly and explicitly defending this so long that I can only assume that it in fact IS the person you want to be. You are totally fine with children being raped, after all it is inevitable and necessary so why get upset about it?

One might even assume that in the right time and place you might contribute a little suffering of your own, given that it's inevitable and necessary. It wasn't your choice to do those things, it was God in his unquestionable wisdom that needed that child raped.
People are reality.

That you think that they're not is probably how you're able to handwave children getting raped without any empathy.
Opinion would determine whether you did anything to try and alter the future course of affairs, or whether you just sat around with your thumb up your butt saying "this is good".

Humans have agency. We can do things. We can change things that we don't like. We can even choose NOT to do things that would cause suffering for others. We get to choose the amount of suffering that we personally add to the universe, and how much we act to mitigate suffering in others.

It's actually something that all the big religions tend to generally agree on in principle, even though their implementations in practice tend to be a bit inconsistent.

I know this is a lot of new information for you, but do your best to try and absorb it.

Lol, why do you think I used the term, "borderline"?

I acknowledge it's not a proven fact, however, collective society as a whole would agree that human suffering is bad to the point it is accepted as much as a factual statement would be.

But hey, if you were addressing a group of people with some of the statements you've made in this thread regarding child suffering not being wrong b/c reality makes it so, good luck with the consequences of reality of pissing off people as well.
That just shows that even though something isn't a fact that if enough people agree on a certain opinion they automatically fall into the delusion of treating it as if it were a fact, the dangers of group think and a lack of independent thinking on full display.

I piss people off with my mere existence, it's something I'm very much accustomed to and fully accept and embrace.

treating it as if it were a fact,
I have a strong feeling you dont know what a fact is defined as.
Fact can be true or false, either of both will always apply. If it can not be true or false, it is not a fact.
For example, this statement is a fact, it is not my personal view, my opinion, a guess, a rumor, or a lie.

I piss people off with my mere existence,
No, its just your absolute ignorance and naivety that tends to piss of people who are trying to communicate with you over matters that once you dont grasp them or dont want to have any say on call "gods will".
Your existence doesnt matter to me I think.
I dont know how much involvement anything you do (except for being on this forum) has anything in common with things I do;
do I use any software you have invisioned, designed, programmed or distributed?
do I use any hardware you have had any role in?
do I use any tools that were made with anything that you were involved in?
could any of the "yes" above just as well be a "no" for the reason that you were on the low end of the chain involved and just happened to be, like as a truckdriver?

And even then, as I dont know you, your existence is just that: an unknown to me, so you simply cant piss me off by merely existing, and I dont see what makes you think you would.

That just shows that even though something isn't a fact that if enough people agree on a certain opinion they automatically fall into the delusion of treating it as if it were a fact, the dangers of group think and a lack of independent thinking on full display.
Hey everyone, collectively believing child suffering is bad is just delusion.

Fail Fran Healy GIF by Travis

I have a strong feeling you dont know what a fact is defined as.
Fact can be true or false, either of both will always apply. If it can not be true or false, it is not a fact.
It is a fact that opinion will never be an actual fact of reality, it doesn't matter how many collective opinions accumulate together, it's still just a collective opinion that has no bearing on reality itself.

It is a fact that opinion will never be an actual fact of reality, it doesn't matter how many collective opinions accumulate together, it's still just a collective opinion that has no bearing on reality itself.
Opinions are part of reality as are you and me.
Opinions wont shape a fact, as an opinion is never right or wrong, they either cover a topic or dont fit in well.
But opinions are shaping reality, because based on opinion instead of facts, many people are considering which action to take, like voting Trump.

Adultery is a very specific thing. The bible even defines it. I don't object to the prohibition of adultery by the bible provided anybody who understands that the bible is fiction is not subject to enforcement of it. I'm fine with these prohibitions as self-governance, though. It's basically a personal moral code, and while I recognize that the bible is fiction, I am personally not given to commit adultery. That's not due to the bible prohibiting it but to the love and respect that I have for my spouse.

Laws which enforce prohibition on adultery violate rights without preserving rights, and as such are bad. Adultery violates no rights. Adultery violates trust. Committing adultery and contracting a communicable disease which may be passed to a partner whose trust was violated without their knowledge may be a violation of rights, but prohibiting adultery is an overbroad means of preserving such rights.

The bible's definition of adultery does not include the violation of sexual consent, the victim's age notwithstanding. I don't understand why you, one who purports to be guided by the bible, are so wont to disregard its text. I mean this is consistent with Christians, but it's not consistent with how you've communicated your faith.

The bible actually prohibits a lot of things and defines them. Where the bible prohibits homosexuality, it should be seen as odd that it doesn't prohibit the violation of sexual consent of children. A rational interpretation of this is that its author was offended by homosexuality but not by child rape. That's...bizarre. On one hand you have mutual consent to sexual activity by members of the same sex, and on the other hand you have CHILD RAPE.
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But, to an extent, I am.

The level of need for details that is required for "proof" by you (and many others here) is amazing.

God gives us general statements (not generalizations), then expects us to head in that direction (or not) following His guidance in our lives.

But I am wasting my time explaining this. You will twist what I say into something that will make me look bad, and you look good. You are incredibly good at that.

The basic premise, though, is that God cannot give us every single detail in writing. Can you imagine the thousands of libraries needed for that information? And then how many people would go there just to find out how to do bad things?

We have enough problems already....

The 10 commandments, in their most basic form, boil down to 5 statements of how to treat each other well. The other 5 are how God asks us to follow Him. Rather simple, would you say? Basically the Golden Rule spelled out a bit.

Is pornography bad?

Check this out: https://brainheartworld.org/register/

This is a scientifically based documentary (yes, you have to create a login for it, sorry) that is free to watch and details all of the ways that pornography alters and destroys the mind.

It was created by the people who have been building the Fight The New Drug (FTND.org) movement.

Yes, it IS a horrible thing.

Children who die before the age of accountability are received into God's presence. They are free from the sins of others. Having a child die, however, can be a condemnation of a person who could have caused their death.
This is an interesting poll.

Last edited:
The level of need for details that is required for "proof" by you (and many others here) is amazing.
Generally it's "any".
The basic premise, though, is that God cannot give us every single detail in writing.
Why not? What is the cause of this limitation on his abilities?
Can you imagine the thousands of libraries needed for that information?
Yep. Shouldn't be so hard for an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent deity to solve.
And then how many people would go there just to find out how to do bad things?
God can't prevent loopholes? Why not?
Children who die before the age of accountability are received into God's presence.
What is the numerical value of that age? Why is it that age? Where do people who are cognitively underdeveloped and only have the faculties of someone below that age while being physically older than that age fit into this scheme?

These are all questions you could (and should) be asking yourself of your own statements, and of whomever is giving you this information.

What is the numerical value of that age?
He wont be able to find any such value from the bible, but lot of suggestions so as to everyone can believe their child is still "within that treshold".

But the suggestion of those people of faith most often comes down to "everyone who is not capable of faith has an automatic saving grace", which includes children just as well as mentally ill. And this would be because God is loving, holy, merciful, just, and gracious.

So it creates a contradiction to the god that imposes suffering as an experiment, or a god that allows suffering as part of life.

Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But, to an extent, I am.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

God gives us general statements (not generalizations), then expects us to head in that direction (or not) following His guidance in our lives.
Except for the specific statements.

And the Lord said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes and be ready by the third day, because on that day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, ‘Be careful that you do not approach the mountain or touch the foot of it. Whoever touches the mountain is to be put to death. They are to be stoned or shot with arrows; not a hand is to be laid on them. No person or animal shall be permitted to live.’ Only when the ram’s horn sounds a long blast may they approach the mountain.”

Wow. Okay. Stay away from Mount Sinai under threat of death. Seems kind of excessive. Also very specific, right down to method of death.

But I am wasting my time explaining this. You will twist what I say into something that will make me look bad, and you look good. You are incredibly good at that.
Christian victimhood? I'm shocked.
The basic premise, though, is that God cannot give us every single detail in writing. Can you imagine the thousands of libraries needed for that information?
I'm not asking for every single detail. I'm saying that the scriptural condemnation of homosexuality, which itself violates no rights, is starkly contrasted by the absence of a scriptural condemnation of child rape, which violates the most fundamental right, that of individual sovereignty--no indivdual has a natural claim to any part of another's body without consent.
And then how many people would go there just to find out how to do bad things?
Your contention is that "God" listing things "He" doesn't want done would serve as temptation rather than deterrent?

Did...did you fall on your head?

We have enough problems already....
Yeah?
The 10 commandments, in their most basic form, boil down to 5 statements of how to treat each other well.
That's fine.
The other 5 are how God asks us to follow Him.
Kind of weird, but I don't have a problem with it provided it constrains or compels only those given to specific delusion.
Rather simple, would you say?

Sure?

Basically the Golden Rule spelled out a bit.
Not really though.
Is pornography bad?
What is "bad"?
Check this out: https://brainheartworld.org/register/

This is a scientifically based documentary (yes, you have to create a login for it, sorry) that is free to watch and details all of the ways that pornography alters and destroys the mind.

It was created by the people who have been building the Fight The New Drug (FTND.org) movement.
If it's worth me watching, it's worth you explaining. More than that, you can provide specific explanation regarding what you assert and I don't have to guess what you mean during or subsequent to my watching.
Yes, it IS a horrible thing.
Why?
Children who die before the age of accountability are received into God's presence.
This is delusion.
They are free from the sins of others.
I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Setting aside that "sin" is colloquially null--which is to say that it has no uniform interpretation and as such is meaningless--as far as I can tell, it could mean that they can no longer be sinned against by others, which...duh...or it could mean that they don't bear responsibility for the sins of others, but then most don't even prior to death. I may have overlooked other meanings.
Having a child die, however, can be a condemnation of a person who could have caused their death.
What?

I piss people off with my mere existence, it's something I'm very much accustomed to and fully accept and embrace.
Nobody here is pissed off at your mere existence. If you merely existed, we wouldn't know. You didn't just merely exist, you merely existed over to your computer and started typing that God wants babies to suffer. It's that last bit that gets some people upset.

Embracing making people angry is something you should investigate personally. It's not how Jesus is portrayed in the bible. The "I piss people off" badge of honor is not a great flex. It's easy to piss people off, all you have to do is say abhorrent things. But if generally your species is finding you difficult to be around, that is a reflection on you personally, on your personal choices (not your existence), and is cause for introspection.

Also, the "god wants babies to suffer" line is really inconsistent with omnipotence, omnipresence, and benevolence. That also should be causing you to take pause.

There are three big, glaring, issues that you're facing with your "I like to piss people off" position.
  • it's not consistent with Christianity, which is your purported belief
  • it's guaranteed to be a source of suffering in your own life
  • it comes from a fallacy that breaks your religious views

This is a big chance for you to make a change, re-evaluate. Even to be a better Christian if that's what you choose. Definitely to try to love and be good to your fellow man. WWJD

If you want facts, here are some. People have brains and within these brains they hold opinions. People also have the ability to shape the world around them to a degree. Combine those two things and it's clear that what people think will influence reality. I already gave you examples before. Going more than a couple of feet off the surface directly beneath someone was not possible until people developed ways to do this because they wanted to. If you want an example closer to suffering, that's basically all of medicine.

You have to accept the fact that people are the greatest source of agency in reality.
The basic premise, though, is that God cannot give us every single detail in writing. Can you imagine the thousands of libraries needed for that information? And then how many people would go there just to find out how to do bad things?
It works for human knowledge. Compare the Bible to the entire body of even one scientific library. If you want to say there is some practical limit on the size of a document, the Bible is not even close to hitting it. And people going to find out how to do bad things? Where does that come from? Why doesn't it apply to the Bible as is?

Children who die before the age of accountability are received into God's presence. They are free from the sins of others. Having a child die, however, can be a condemnation of a person who could have caused their death.
This is, even if unintentionally, suggesting that the killing of children will lead to their happiness.

That's nice. It doesn't actually have to do with what I said. Want to try again without the sophistry?
There's a scene in a film where a character recounts her experience as a sex worker, and how the client's requests rattled her (specifically he asks for her to pretend he's his daughter while he jerks off).

Now, he's a paying client, and she is a consenting adult so no rights are violated but....the experience has a profound impact on her.

This made me remember that Twitter thread, which highlights the downstream effects of pornography consumption.

Now, this could all be the result of the industry completely separate from pornography as a general whole, but what if some of the latter feeds some of the "bad" side?

• it's not consistent with Christianity, which is your purported belief
@Ghost Lap, out of interest, what is your opinion on the Gospel of Thomas

Last edited:
There's a scene in a film where a character recounts her experience as a sex worker, and how the client's requests rattled her (specifically he asks for her to pretend he's his daughter while he jerks off).

Now, he's a paying client, and she is a consenting adult so no rights are violated but....the experience has a profound impact on her.

This made me remember that Twitter thread, which highlights the downstream effects of pornography consumption.

Now, this could all be the result of the industry completely separate from pornography as a general whole, but what if some of the latter feeds some of the "bad" side?
Well, see, the point you're making starts to come into question because you're referencing a film. If I make a film reversing the order of your concern, does that not disprove your point? (No, because it's really still just a scene in a film.)

The industry has several concerning issues in its under belly, much of it coming from certain studios/people involved & it does churn through women quite easily. However, that's hard to pinpoint an issue because women leave for a multitude of reasons; regret, financially secure, tired of it, work drying up, etc. There are also women who have stayed in it for a number of years & continue to do so. OnlyFans has been hugely beneficial (for better & worse) b/c it allows women in the industry to control their content & manage themselves easier.

Your reference seems to be pointing more towards the industry & its affects on its participants where as the statement of porn consumption pushes more towards addiction on its consumer base.

Last edited:
statement of porn consumption pushes more towards addiction on its consumer base.
That's interesting.

Could the same be said of other things that can lead to addiction, e.g. gambling? Is the problem solely addiction, or do other factors need to be taken into account when we say there's nothing at all "bad" about something?

EDIT: BTW, the film I'm referencing is talking about an escort rather than a porn actress, but led me to think about the effects porn can have on participants and consumers and reminded me of said tweet.

Last edited:
That's interesting.

Could the same be said of other things that can lead to addiction, e.g. gambling? Is the problem solely addiction, or do other factors need to be taken into account when we say there's nothing at all "bad" about something?
I mean, that's a conversation more for yourself to decide I suppose. Addiction in my eyes, is clearly bad because of the issues it causes.

But, my response was more in that your reference seemed to deal more with the inner workings of the porn industry than the outer workings.
EDIT: BTW, the film I'm referencing is talking about an escort rather than a porn actress, but led me to think about the effects porn can have on participants and consumers and reminded me of said tweet.
There is a difference to be noted given escorts work with the public where as most porn actresses don't partake in that for other reasons, mainly safety & staying medically clean since the industry tends to self-regulate itself when it comes to STDs for the most part (which does highlight 1 of the issues within' the industry).

But, I can see how you got to the thoughts you've brought up. I think I got more caught up in looking to clarify a distinction in your post than addressing your question.

Back