Does my TV support HDR/4K content?

Portugal
Chesterfield
DEKOWOLF
Hi guys!
I come to you crying desperately for help because my TV is driving me absolutely insane.

Long story short, TV claims to have 4K capabilities, however, I am yet to see a single pixel producing anything above standard HD.

Short story long...
My previous TV to this one was a 32" Sony Bravia. Watched countless HD content and played numerous hours of PS3 games on it. Never skipped a beat, Gran Turismo 5 and Deus Ex Human Revolution were probably the best looking games to ever be displayed on that TV.

Fast forward to 2015, got myself a PS4 and shortly after that got this [43" LG ULTRA HD 4K TV] (model number 42UB820V-ZH). Plugged the PS4 using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4. Besides the screen size, I didn't noticed any difference whatsoever in image quality from the Bravia to the LG. But I ignored it because I already knew the PS4 wasn't outputting 4K resolutions anyway.

However, once I got the HDR update on the PS4 I am still to see any differences. But again, ignored because maybe I don't have HDR content.
And this brings me to my final string of events. Got Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I can not enable the HDR function. Despise the fact that the PS4 settings have HDR set to Automatic. Both the PS4 and Deus Ex help tips/FAQ point out that my TV does not support HDR. This is where I get conflicted.

I plugged the PS4 using it's original cable (claims to be a high speed cable. I say claims to because that's what's written on it.)

The TV has three HDMI ports. Two on the back, one on the side. Here are the written specs:

HDMI (4K @60Hz)/DVI IN
HDMI 1: (hdcp 2.2) | HDMI 2: (ARC) | HDMI 3: (MHL)

Tried all three HDMI ports. Nothing changes. I've changed several image settings and all I get is the feeling that I'm messing around with an Instagram filter.
It doesn't help the fact that the menus have broken English (honestly, it's absolutely terrible).

Do I need to change the settings configuration on the PS4? Perhaps a better HDMI cable? Is my TV even capable of HDR/4K?
I would be so glad to put this issue to rest. I'm fine not having HDR, but I just don't want to miss out on it when I have the option to experience it. Thank you ever so much!

By looking into the specs of your TV, it does have HDR, and is using the HDR10 Standard which is what the PS4 is using. My only guess would be the HDMI cable. I'm not sure what HDMI standard comes in the box, but it may be HDMI 1.4, where for HDR I believe you need to have HDMI 2.0a standard to work.

By looking into the specs of your TV, it does have HDR, and is using the HDR10 Standard which is what the PS4 is using. My only guess would be the HDMI cable. I'm not sure what HDMI standard comes in the box, but it may be HDMI 1.4, where for HDR I believe you need to have HDMI 2.0a standard to work.

Many thanks for the reply!

Rookie mistake, never thought the HDMI could be the source of the problem. I just trusted the writing.
Indeed, the PS4 default HDMI cable is 1.4. PS4 pro however already comes pack with a 2.0.

I believe even the cheapest HDMI cables are capable of HDR/4K as long as it's 2.0, correct? If so, would this be sufficient?

According to it's user's manual a 42UB820V is only capable of 4K@8 bit. Switching to the PS4 Pro you should see an increase in resolution, but are probably stuck in REC 709/SDR I'm afraid.

LG_GRAB.jpg

Also check if you need to enabled 10 bit colour on the TV (or some similar description)... on my Samsung, I have to enable on each HDMI with a HDR input to display content.

No support for either HDR or Wide Colour Range.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Also check if you need to enabled 10 bit colour on the TV (or some similar description)... on my Samsung, I have to enable on each HDMI with a HDR input to display content.

I've read about that in previous help guides and forums. Some TV manufacturers have a separate HDR option. For what I've gathered, mine is automatic and is called "Dynamic Range", and I can only adjust it in certain picture modes (cinema, sports, etc...) and it offers low, medium or high values. That's pretty much it.
It does affect the image, but only ever so slightly.

I believe I should be able to tell the difference once I get a 2.0 HDMI cable. Until then, not much else left for me to do.
You've been a great help guys! Please feel free to post further information if you wish to do so, my brain cells will forever be grateful! :cheers:

You will see the difference when you get true HDR.

1080p -> 4k isn't really that noticeable, but HDR is like SD -> 1080p.

:confused: Are we talking about the same display here? @Deko Wolf-GTPT link to LG's site is seemingly referring to a different model with different specs to the one he actually owns...

You're right! I must have copy/pasted the wrong link. But the model number is correct (and so is your link). Both TV have similar specs though.

Also, I've got an update! PlayMemories! Sony's cloud service for backing up photos can display images in 4K, and I'm convinced it does because when I start the application on the PS4 the TV flickers several times and I DO NOTICE a difference in image quality.
so perhaps the cable is not the source of the problem, however, I'm still investing in one.

I was only referring to what HDR looks like... no idea if the TV is actually capable of HDR... would have thought @Deko Wolf-GTPT would know if his set could display HDR :)

That's why I've started this thread. Although the TV claims to be Ultra HD 4K, I don't see any difference whatsoever from a regular HD TV. I've only became fully aware of this issue when I couldn't turn on the HDR option in Deus Ex Mankind Divided. That has lead me into this infinite spiral of confusion. Right now the only lead I got is upgrading my HDMI cable. :indiff:

Do you have any other sources capable of 4K output? 1080P to 2160P(native) should bring a noticeable difference even without HDR/WCG.

Do you have any other sources capable of 4K output? 1080P to 2160P(native) should bring a noticeable difference even without HDR/WCG.

Could I download a 4K sample video, plug my laptop to the TV and run said video? Or even play said video from a USB stick plugged straight to the TV?

Ultra HD (UHD) = 4K, does't mean it can do HDR!

This reminds me back when HD was new and tvs had HD, True HD, True HD 1080p...makes me feel kinda dumb. :dunce:

Could I download a 4K sample video, plug my laptop to the TV and run said video? Or even play said video from a USB stick plugged straight to the TV?

It's unclear what decoding capabilities are possible via the usb slots of the TV. You could always give it a try; but if your laptop handles 2160P output it would make a good candidate indeed.

No need to feel dumb... manufacturers haven't been very clear on HDR standards.

HD = 1080p
UHD = 4k (2160p)
HDR (UHD Premium) = 4K + the panel has to capable of displaying 10 bit colour & a peak brightness >1,000 nits (540 nits for OLED)

Netflix has some 4k content, as does Youtube... you should be able to view the Youtube stuff via your smart TV ap.

Or you could download some 4k content off the net and push it to your TV via a USB.

But as I said, don't get too excited. 4k on its own isn't a big step up from HD... I've got Sky 4k, and Netflix 4k and although the quality is better than 1080i (Sky's previous transmission quality), it's only about the same quality as a true 1080p Blueray as it has to be heavily compressed to make it streamable.

Somewhat depends on what the original content was shot in... so films can be a bit underwhelming as most aren't shot in 4K yet, but football can look very good as it's shot with 4K cameras.

HDR can be amazing. I've got some documentaries that are mind blowing in the detail, clarity and depth of colour. I've also got some movies that look pretty rubbish as the quality of the original print is poor... meaning that when it's been transferred to 4k/HDR, it shows up a massive amount of graining.

:confused: Are we talking about the same display here? @Deko Wolf-GTPT link to LG's site is seemingly referring to a different model with different specs to the one he actually owns...

Your correct, I just clicked the link in the original post where it states HDR in the tech specs, hence my conclusion that it was the HDMI cable at fault. If that link is the correct one then the TV doesn't support HDR as you have pointed out.

I've ran some tests, here are the results:

• First test
Tried a video from YouTube on my laptop, plugged it to the TV using the same port and cable as the PS4 (so that would be a HDMI 1.4 cable, plugged to what the TV claims to be a 4K@60 port).

Checked the screen resolution options on the laptop (still plugged to the TV) and I can't go any higher than 1920 x 1280. I enabled the 4K option on the video and left it buffer before playing it. The video did not play well. The image kept freezing and stuttering.

• Second test
Connected the TV to the internet via ethernet cable. Updated the firmware. Launched the YouTube app on the TV itself and tried to watch the same video. Even after letting the video buffer, the little icon by the video title never changes from HD.

I've enabled the option on the app that shows information about the video itself and the connection status.
This little information window tells me the video dimensions are 1280 x 720, the resolution 1280 x 720@30 (it also tells me the connection speed, buffer health and other stuff that isn't relevant to this situation, but I digress).

• Third test
As I mentioned before, I used the PlayMemories app on the PS4. This app behaves completely different from anything I have ever plugged to this TV. In the settings menu there's an option that enables 4K output when a 4K TV is connected. When i start the app, the screen goes blank, and I don't mean just nothing on the screen, it is as if the TV is switched off. No backlight at all. It flickers momentarily, and the app starts.
Scrolling trough the menus is super smooth, the photos are incredible and this is the only time I "feel" the 4K.

• Conclusion
About the YouTube app, it's either my TV is not displaying 4K images, or, the YouTube app on the TV is pretty much the same as the consoles app, as it won't display 4K videos at a 4K quality. Actually, the app on the PS4 seems to perform better, even 4K videos that keep that little HD icon look a lot better.

The TV resolution is 3840 x 2160, and yet, when plugging my laptop I can't go any higher than 1920 x 1280. I'm assuming this must be my graphic adapter being old and not capable of going higher, correct?

It appears though my TV is simply 4K and nothing else. The reason why I'm not able to get the 4K experience it's because I haven't seen any 4K content through it, do you guys agree?

Small note:
There are other "features" on this TV that I don't understand. This is due to the fact that the menus are in broken English, and some of the in-house names given to their technology leaves me clueless. Plus, the jargon here is goes beyond me.
Therefore I've decided to update the thread title and information to match my criteria, and hopefully, more friendly people such as you guys can come in and help me make sense out of this mess.

Your laptop is seemingly trying to fight above it's weight with UHD content indeed. As for browsing Youtube via it's SmartTV app it could be a browser specific restriction.

Anyway good news:); digging into your display user guide (second download down this page and available in about 30 languages) it appears your TV should be able to playback 4k/UHD content via it's USB ports and its SmartShare control app. There are some codecs and transfer rates restrictions so you may need some more trial and error however.

LG_UHD_USB.jpg

If your looking for some downloadable eye candy 4K files you can check here; just make sure you stay within the decoding capabilities of your display.

Test complete @Soundtrack

Downloaded the file into a USB stick, plugged it, and it played perfectly! Although the video was a timelapse, I couldn't tell if movement was smoother or not, however, the colors, sense of depth, details and resolution was far better than anything I have ever seen on this TV.

This confirms that my TV is 4K capable. But why not HDR? Although it doesn't clarify on the specs, the description reads

"the LG Super UHD TV is the best TV by far for displaying HDR contents mastered in Dolby Vision. See how entertainment comes alive with lifelike colour, dramatic contrast and exceptional resolution."

Is this just marketing jargon? Does it have to be specific HRD content? Is this why I can't use HDR in Deus Ex? :confused: :crazy:

Anyway, now that it's been confirm, does this means I'm PS4 Pro ready? I don't need any further investments in order to enjoy 4K?

Glad you could work it out with satisfying results!

As already pointed by Stotty UDH and HDR are two different things. Are you sure that marketing quote has effectively been tied to your particular TV because it would be particularly misleading?! Your specific display does not handle HDR.

HDR has only been recently agreed upon by the major players of the industry in the form of an open standard called HDR10 (with Dolby trying hard to shoehorn it's priority 12 bit solution). The format in itself is quite ambitious, with specs that can be considered relatively future proof. As it stands, there is not a single display that can handle the format to its full (theoretical) potential. With the headroom in both luminance range and colour gamut, it will probably take years to come close.

Upgrading to the PS4 Pro is entirely up to you, you may witness an upgrade in resolution with some games, but that specific HDR checkbox will remain greyed out with your display.

Personally I'd wait a bit for the dust to settle and see how things turn out because initial reports about the upgrade are mitigated.

This confirms that my TV is 4K capable. But why not HDR? Although it doesn't clarify on the specs, the description reads

"the LG Super UHD TV is the best TV by far for displaying HDR contents mastered in Dolby Vision. See how entertainment comes alive with lifelike colour, dramatic contrast and exceptional resolution."

Is this just marketing jargon?

Yes, it's marketing jargon. they do not say the TV is HDR-capable, they merely say it's "the best TV by far for displaying HDR...". Saying something is "the best" is acceptable (well, legal anyway) in just about all cases. Note they did not claim specifically it's HDR-capable.

Are you sure that marketing quote has effectively been tied to your particular TV because it would be particularly misleading?! Your specific display does not handle HDR.
Of course it's misleading. That's the nature of what marketing does.

Of course it's misleading. That's the nature of what marketing does.

I imagine LG’s marketing department will avoid Deceptive Trade Practice at all cost.

“LG Super UHD TV” is a label for the TVs that offer HDR support within their range. As the name suggests it offers enhancements over their “LG Ultra HD TV” sets.

Should Deko Wolf’s display have been erroneously labelled as HDR capable he should be entitled for a refund as this would probably fall under Consumer Fraud.

Upgrading to the PS4 Pro is entirely up to you, you may witness an upgrade in resolution with some games, but that specific HDR checkbox will remain greyed out with your display.

Personally I'd wait a bit for the dust to settle and see how things turn out because initial reports about the upgrade are mitigated.

Oh I'm not in a rush. But it relaxes me knowing that I can get the Pro at any time and get the full experience out of it. :)

Note they did not claim specifically it's HDR-capable.

Should Deko Wolf’s display have been erroneously labelled as HDR capable he should be entitled for a refund as this would probably fall under Consumer Fraud.

On the entire page that's the only time HDR is mentioned. The specs never even remotely mention HDR.
I believe what it's trying to say is that it can display HDR images. Keyword being display, not process AND display.

I'm not mad about it (well, not anymore) because at least now I'm aware of my TV image capabilities.

I'd like to thank everyone for the patience and help provided. Now if only I could change the language from Broken English to Actual English that would be great! :D

Back