Don’t make it to the GT Academy? Don’t worry

• Thread starter kart.no.38
  • 88 comments
South Africa
South Africa
david_perel
Hey everyone, I’ve been holding off on posting this for years but thought now would be a good time with the GT Academy qualifying rounds wrapping up soon.

Like many of you here, when I was a young boy all I wanted to do was become a racing driver. My dad raced Formula Fords in his early 20’s and I would stare at those photos all day long and wear his motorbike helmet whenever I could.

Around the time I was 12 years old I got a Playstation and an old clanky steering wheel & pedal setup to play an F1 game. I couldn’t put that game down and quickly realised that even though I wasn’t at a real race track, I was able to simulate real life driving with a video game.

Halfway through my 14th year, a series of events lead me to a local karting track and for the first time ever I got the smell of petrol and rubber. Soon after I managed to convince my dad to get me a kart and from then on I aggressively pursued my dream of becoming a racing driver.

We lived far from the track though and I couldn’t practice often, so to replace that gap I’d use Gran Turismo to put in the laps.

By the time I was 23 I was a National Champion, podium finisher at the World Championships and about to get myself into a single seater. By the second race I was challenging for podiums but by the time race four came around I’d run out of money and was forced to stop.

Throughout my teens and early 20’s I was an avid GTPlanet member and competed in as many WSR’s as I could, often finishing in the top three and sometimes winning. I truly considered myself a gamer that went racing in real life as opposed to a racing driver who ‘could play GT’.

As crazy as it seems today, my approach of using videos games to practice for real life was never taken seriously. I’d often get laughed at by teams and competitors for even mentioning Gran Turismo and Real Life in the same sentence.

About a year after I stopped racing the GT Academy became a Worldwide event. America, Asia and all of Europe were invited to compete. Unfortunately South Africa wasn’t eligible, so technically I couldn’t qualify but I registered a UK account anyway and got stuck in.

I ended up 3rd quickest overall in the online events but because of my nationality and my racing license I didn't qualify. Even though I knew the rules, I was upset that someone with top 20 potential couldn’t make it through.

Not one to let myself get down I decided that the only way I’d make it back into racing was if it was on my own terms and more money. From then on I turned to my business (which I started with my brother) and worked day and night for years with the aim of saving enough money to give racing another shot.

My hard work paid off and just last week I competed in the Italian GT Championships for Lamborghini Bergamo in the GT Cup class. I ended up winning race one and placing second in heat two, despite a 15 second handicap as a result of our victory in race one.

It took me close to 6 years to get back into a racing car and to this day I still look at the GT Academy drivers and wonder ‘what if…’ but I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t qualify today, don’t worry there are other opportunities.

If you truly believe in yourself and your abilities then don’t give up, back yourself 100% and do whatever you can to prove everyone wrong. Just don’t forget to keep using Gran Turismo for practice and simulation.

It worked for me.

great read and good luck in your career mate. has anyone who lost at the GT academy international finals every recieved a racing contract? or atleast if you're looking for one does it help?

has anyone who lost at the GT academy international finals every recieved a racing contract? or atleast if you're looking for one does it help?

I'm not sure if anyone else from the GTA has found a drive post-loss. When I set about searching for one it wasn't necessarily a deal breaker but it didn't harm me either. Teams are now much more aware of Gran Turismo since Nissan starting employing gamers as full time drivers.

where can one follow your progress by the way, do you have a social media page or anything? love to see some GTPers applying the trade ;)

I want to become a racing driver so desperately. Its my greatest passion. Im ranked 530 in GT Academy right now but I just have a realistic idea that I won't make it. I am still trying my best and always drive with that little spark of hope saying "what if I do make it???". I hope I can follow your path but I am 18 and never raced. I know I have potential I just can't prove it.

I want to become a racing driver so desperately. Its my greatest passion. Im ranked 530 in GT Academy right now but I just have a realistic idea that I won't make it. I am still trying my best and always drive with that little spark of hope saying "what if I do make it???". I hope I can follow your path but I am 18 and never raced. I know I have potential I just can't prove it.

The best way to prove it is with hard work Alex. There cannot be a single day where you don't do laps. Even when I wasn't racing for Lamborghini I was practicing every single day on GT5/6 and running at least 5km. It's not just about talent but also the hard work you put into it.

Even though you're 530th in this years challenge that doesn't mean you should stop. Try you best to get 529th, then 520th, then 499th. Small steps at a time :)

The best way to prove it is with hard work Alex. There cannot be a single day where you don't do laps. Even when I wasn't racing for Lamborghini I was practicing every single day on GT5/6 and running at least 5km. It's not just about talent but also the hard work you put into it.

Even though you're 530th in this years challenge that doesn't mean you should stop. Try you best to get 529th, then 520th, then 499th. Small steps at a time :)
Thats my mindset! I know all I ever have to do is go .001 seconds faster and Ill beat someones time. Im actually a runner for my high school. My 5k time is 17:42 and my best mile is 4:48. I just want it so bad. Its the only thing in life that I am always 100% sure I would do no matter the cost. But those top guys are so fast.

Should I try to get a karting test or just get on track if I get to a certain point in the competition? A kid I used to know who raced for many years and has stopped, his dad is down the street from me. WOrth talking to about what I could do to get into racing?

Thats my mindset! I know all I ever have to do is go .001 seconds faster and Ill beat someones time. Im actually a runner for my high school. My 5k time is 17:42 and my best mile is 4:48. I just want it so bad. Its the only thing in life that I am always 100% sure I would do no matter the cost. But those top guys are so fast.

Should I try to get a karting test or just get on track if I get to a certain point in the competition? A kid I used to know who raced for many years and has stopped, his dad is down the street from me. WOrth talking to about what I could do to get into racing?

To go faster I'd suggest analysing the quickest laps, if possible download their ghosts and watch those replays all the time. Also make sure you know your markers (like where you brake, accelerate etc.) and then choose one marker per lap to push. This will help you find areas where you can improve.

If you can go karting then DEFINITELY go karting! Don't sit around and wait, you need to make it happen :)

Just a word of warning, racing is not cheap... It's why I couldn't progress the first time but don't let that get you down. As I've discovered there's always a way.

What a story:bowdown:

I'm very much the same.. Dreamed of racing since I was little boy..

Gt academy was my golden ticket.. Got myself to national finals pace.. And they change the rules from 14 qualifiers to 4 :lol:

Ah well.. I'll give my all, that's all I can do:gtpflag:
Where do you sit at the min growling?

5th eligible (as far as I know) UK, 7th UK overall

Edit: boxer4ever just got in front of me by 3 hundredths..

Wish we had an eligible list

To go faster I'd suggest analysing the quickest laps, if possible download their ghosts and watch those replays all the time. Also make sure you know your markers (like where you brake, accelerate etc.) and then choose one marker per lap to push. This will help you find areas where you can improve.

If you can go karting then DEFINITELY go karting! Don't sit around and wait, you need to make it happen :)

Just a word of warning, racing is not cheap... It's why I couldn't progress the first time but don't let that get you down. As I've discovered there's always a way.
Yes that is what I did for Silverstone. I watched the lead lap about 30 times straight and I dropped a whole second just from it. I haven't yet watched the lap here but If I drop a whole second Ill be top 75
world. Money is why I can't either

Are you eligible? I think 8th will be enough

Nah it's only 4 from online this year.. I think more top ineligible guys will turn up for the final round.

Yeah I'm eligible, only been playing gt 9 months, and got no racing licences

The only problem though is my wallet, or I would have been racing in real life by now, but it just seems that only people with an unreasonable amount of money are able to get into auto racing which is highly disappointing.

Hey everyone, I’ve been holding off on posting this for years but thought now would be a good time with the GT Academy qualifying rounds wrapping up soon.

Like many of you here, when I was a young boy all I wanted to do was become a racing driver. My dad raced Formula Fords in his early 20’s and I would stare at those photos all day long and wear his motorbike helmet whenever I could.

Around the time I was 12 years old I got a Playstation and an old clanky steering wheel & pedal setup to play an F1 game. I couldn’t put that game down and quickly realised that even though I wasn’t at a real race track, I was able to simulate real life driving with a video game.

Halfway through my 14th year, a series of events lead me to a local karting track and for the first time ever I got the smell of petrol and rubber. Soon after I managed to convince my dad to get me a kart and from then on I aggressively pursued my dream of becoming a racing driver.

We lived far from the track though and I couldn’t practice often, so to replace that gap I’d use Gran Turismo to put in the laps.

By the time I was 23 I was a National Champion, podium finisher at the World Championships and about to get myself into a single seater. By the second race I was challenging for podiums but by the time race four came around I’d run out of money and was forced to stop.

Throughout my teens and early 20’s I was an avid GTPlanet member and competed in as many WSR’s as I could, often finishing in the top three and sometimes winning. I truly considered myself a gamer that went racing in real life as opposed to a racing driver who ‘could play GT’.

As crazy as it seems today, my approach of using videos games to practice for real life was never taken seriously. I’d often get laughed at by teams and competitors for even mentioning Gran Turismo and Real Life in the same sentence.

About a year after I stopped racing the GT Academy became a Worldwide event. America, Asia and all of Europe were invited to compete. Unfortunately South Africa wasn’t eligible, so technically I couldn’t qualify but I registered a UK account anyway and got stuck in.

I ended up 3rd quickest overall in the online events but because of my nationality and my racing license I didn't qualify. Even though I knew the rules, I was upset that someone with top 20 potential couldn’t make it through.

Not one to let myself get down I decided that the only way I’d make it back into racing was if it was on my own terms and more money. From then on I turned to my business (which I started with my brother) and worked day and night for years with the aim of saving enough money to give racing another shot.

My hard work paid off and just last week I competed in the Italian GT Championships for Lamborghini Bergamo in the GT Cup class. I ended up winning race one and placing second in heat two, despite a 15 second handicap as a result of our victory in race one.

It took me close to 6 years to get back into a racing car and to this day I still look at the GT Academy drivers and wonder ‘what if…’ but I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t qualify today, don’t worry there are other opportunities.

If you truly believe in yourself and your abilities then don’t give up, back yourself 100% and do whatever you can to prove everyone wrong. Just don’t forget to keep using Gran Turismo for practice and simulation.

It worked for me.
wow! Well done on making it a reality. You must have one hell of a good company. Just to hit an open track day here in Edmonton Alberta cost three hundred bucks. Winter dosent help much either. Good thing ice racing is cheap. :D

Nah it's only 4 from online this year.. I think more top ineligible guys will turn up for the final round.

What a story:bowdown:

I'm very much the same.. Dreamed of racing since I was little boy..

Gt academy was my golden ticket.. Got myself to national finals pace.. And they change the rules from 14 qualifiers to 4 :lol:

Ah well.. I'll give my all, that's all I can do:gtpflag:
Is that 4 qualifiers from your country/region that they are taking for the live rounds or the tv show? I am new to this GTA. Thanks

They're taking 4 from the online qualifiers, and 4 from live events. These 8 go straight to Abu Dhabi for race camp (the tv show starts in Abu dhabi most likely)

It worked for me.

A truly inspirational story. Determination and self belief can fuel your progress to the greatest of heights, and to think that a videogame played a part in it. From a fellow South African, thank you for making us proud.

Yeah that's right. But each country varies.. Spain for instance only gets 4 overall spots, but USA gets 20. Go to the gt academy section of the gran turismo website and read the terms and conditions, it's all in there 👍

wow! Well done on making it a reality. You must have one hell of a good company. Just to hit an open track day here in Edmonton Alberta cost three hundred bucks. Winter dosent help much either. Good thing ice racing is cheap. :D

I saved pretty much everything I had for 6 years. That got me one race with Lamborghini in one of their satellite teams. It cost everything I had but it turned out to be a bet worth taking.

What I mean by this is 8th place will be enough taking into account the ineligible people that are competing

I finally improved but only by .1 seconds. I tried engine braking a little more so I was still getting used to that. I think today Ill have the hang of it and ill try to break 23.

Latest Posts

Back