Don't Like the Piano Black Finish on the PS3... check these out!

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
OK, so as I have said in other threads, I've never been a fan of the glossy piano black finish on the PS3, as glossy black shows dust and scratches easily! I had always hoped Sony would released the brushed silver finish PS3 model they kept showing off at electronic shows and in print media prior to the PS3's official release:

PS3_02.jpg

They even showed off a white one as well, but that's not my cup of tea as well:

PS3_01_640.jpg

OK... so it's been nearly a year, and still no indication that Sony will be releasing the silver model any time soon... and didn't Sony wait at least a couple years before they released different colored PS2?

Any way, I saw a link to a site regarding some news I was interested in and they had another story about a promotion from PSX Extreme for a chance to win a "Limited PSX Extreme Edition PS3":

ferrari_ps3.jpg

The first thing I thought about was how great that would look with one of these:

20070519102143afa12.jpg

20070519_640.jpg

Upon closer examination, I saw that this "Candy Red" PS3 is from a company called ColorWare... and HERE is what they have listed for the PS3.

PlayStation_3_main.jpg

And HERE are all the different color combinations you can come up with for your console and different controllers. :eek:

I have to say, they look like they do an amazingly professional job painting the PS3 and controllers! 👍

They don't have a brushed silver, at least none that I can see, but there are some pretty interesting choices to be had.

$100 for the console and one controller is pretty good for what looks like a really high quality paint job, and they also apply their proprietary scratch and fade resistant coating called X2.

I may have to consider this. I especially like the idea of selecting different colors for the controllers. 👍

I think some of the different colors might be vinyl stick-ons and not the real thing.

Others might be cheap rattle can jobs.

I still love the brushed silver and I think that what I'm going to get, from Sony of course

If you read up on their process you'll see they don't use any vinyl or cheap rattle can add-ons.

They claim their process starts with taking all the body parts off the console and controllers, prepping them, cleaning them of any and all blemishes, painting them using some proprietary hybrid painting method taken from the electronic manufacturing industry and the automotive industry, and then finish them with the final protective coating.

If true, that doesn't sound like, nor do the pictures look like vinyl stick-ons or cheap rattle can jobs to me.

That is awesome!! And, they must do a very good job, you can also color mac computers, notebooks, all kinds of stuff. The best part is that you can send it in to have it done, so you dont actually have to buy the whole system from them. I will really really think about this.

Very nice find! How much is that "Ferrari" racing set up with the PS3 attached to the back of it and where can I buy one? I would never leave the house if I have one of those with Forza 2 and the final version of GT5. lol

I wish they would come out with a glossy white PS3 because I would pick up a second one in a heart beat! I love things in white, especially pearl white for cars like the one I have now.:lol: My Nintendo DS is white, Wii is white, Xbox360 is white so all I need now is a white PS3.

I think that it would probably void the warranty if you did it yourself but buying it from companies im sure they will offer thier own warranty. The faceplate (or rather the top bit) of the PS3 was always designed to be removable / replaceable, there is only one locking screw and it slides off, Sony may eventually introduce different colour faceplates although it may look odd with the rest of the console black.

I remember the guy who made the worlds first white PS3, professionally done with proper car paint... I would love Sony to have used paint instead of cheap plastic but oh well.....

http://www.ps3center.net/story-147.html

Personally I still love the original black, yes its a dust magnet and yes it scratches easily but it just looks so cool!

Still holding out for an all aluminium milled, polished and black anodised PS3, that would be the business! :crazy:

Robin

Apparently the 40GB PS3 in Japan and Hong Kong will come in white, possibly in Europe and the US as well.

I noticed though that ColorWare's "Smoke White" actually looks like a bright gloss white finish as well.

As far as skins, I believe there are lots of 3rd party front and back skins for the PS3. I know GameStop is selling an exclusive Assassin's Creed PS3 Skin for just $20:

AssasinsCreed_skin0.jpg

AssasinsCreed_skin1.jpg

AssasinsCreed_skin2.jpg

I think that it would probably void the warranty if you did it yourself but buying it from companies im sure they will offer thier own warranty. The faceplate (or rather the top bit) of the PS3 was always designed to be removable / replaceable, there is only one locking screw and it slides off, Sony may eventually introduce different colour faceplates although it may look odd with the rest of the console black.

Robin

I'm not a lawyer but the following snippets from the warranty section would make me a little nervous about losing Sony's mfr warranty:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=3
"Note that the coloring process may also void any non-ColorWare Inc. outstanding warranties the customer may have. If you discover a defect, ColorWare Inc. will, at its option, repair or replace the product as long as the defect is found to be at the fault of ColorWare Inc."

&

"This warranty applies only to hardware products manufactured by or for ColorWare Inc. that can be identified by the ColorWare Inc. trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to them."

So who's shipping off their PS3? Would love to hear some first hand impressions.

Im thinking about it, but i dont want to have to do without my ps3 for two weeks, although, it will definitely help me pass the time untill call of duty four and other great games come in november. there arent really any that im looking forward to in october.

Wow! :eek: What a great find Digital-Nitrate. 👍 I like it if they had sold the PS3 in different colors other than white. But they don't sell silver PS3s in the U.S.? Well i hope they do release those colors soon.....As for the red colored PS3, maybe this should go great with the GT5:P or GT5 special edition pack. I would totally go and but it if it was already out. :D

I like my Piano black, if I were given a choice of all these colours when I purchased my PS3 it still would have been piano black.

OK... I just saw a custom PS3 case that REALLY 'grabbed' my attention...

ps3_alien_casemod_01.jpg

In this case, no one can hear you scream.

The Alien Assimilation Playstation 3 casemod is definitely going to give me nightmares tonight. I’m not really sure what’s going on in there, but it couldn’t possibly be good.

ps3_alien_casemod_03.jpg

Tattoo artist / casemodder GivinTats, created this creepy looking case by hand-sculpting layers of epoxy putty - the same stuff use to mend dented car fenders. Once dried the shell turned out about as hard as metal. Followed up with an ample coating of the appropriately named Chaos Black paint - et voilà - bony Alien swimming in primordial black soup.

ps3_alien_casemod_02.jpg

Now I can’t make out all of the details of the Alien creature(s?) from these photos, but if I saw this thing sitting in my entertainment center one day, I think I’d have to get out the flamethrower so I could try to kill it before it laid its eggs in my stomach; or bled acid out of the Blu-ray slot.

H.R. Giger would be so proud.

:eek:

Now that's taking the term Alien Ware to a whole new level! :D

I have the Piano Black, Like it, but thinking about getting this plate..
ps3_chrome_face_plate.jpg

What you guys think? Too bad it does not cover the front tip too :(

I also have this console..
mgs4ps31.jpg
(Collectible, so I can't open it)
But I also wish I had this console.
ps3-mod-1_OFy7d_48.jpg

I'd love a white one - I have a white PSP which I often use with remote-play so it'd look better.

Anyone ever tried painting their PS3 and controllers themselves?

I was thinking about doing this just for fun. Krylon has a new paint that supposedly works wonders on plastic. It's called Fusion for Plastic:

[YOUTUBEHD]cb9qmWlexQQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

Back