Drifting front-wheel drive cars

• Thread starter rimp
  • 32 comments
United States
colorado
R-I-M-P
Ok, first off let me start this thread with the definition of drifting as defined by the drift king himself (the guy who basically pioneered drifting as a sport)

Drifting: the act of creating over-steer in a car and maintaining control through the duration of the corner.

Now, why did I have to define what is already obvious to most people in this forum? Because there is a lot of nay-sayers that don't think anything but rear-wheel drive cars can drift. This is in fact, WRONG. Anything with four wheels and the ability to create over-steer in a controlled manor can and is a drift.

Now that we cleared that up, lets get on with how to actually go about this in a front-wheeled drive car. First, lets talk theory (my favorite) then I'll explain set up later on in this post.

There are two basic ways of initiating over-steer in a FF:
1. The let-off over-steer
2. The e-brake slide

1. The let-off over-steer
This technique is pretty self-explanatory but I'll continue to explain how to do it right. First, come into the corner while still accelerating and at the last second lift completely off the gas at the same time as you flick the steering-wheel into the corner. What this does is as you let off the gas, the weight of the car is transferred to the front creating less traction in the rear. Jerking the wheel into the corner unsettles the cars balance and takes advantage of the fact that the rear has little traction and send the car into a slide.
This technique is best suited for long sweepers with wide angles. Practicing where to be in relation to the corner is the key to getting this one right. there is no real right place to be but most of the time you want to be on the inside of the turn when it starts as it takes a second to take effect but once it does, you'd be surprised how much over-steer it really creates.

2. The e-brake slide
Again, pretty self-explanatory but I'll still cover it. As your coming up to the corner, feint your car to put the weight to the outside then hit that e-brake and hold it till about the half-way point in the turn. Basically the same for any drive type.

Best suited for tighter corners the trick to this one is learning when and how much e-brake to use.

So now on to how to hold a slide.
Most people say that FF can't hold slides very long and i beg to differ. I have held a FF car in a slide through sweepers like that found on EIGER MT. short track before the tunnel. Now the most confusing part is that it is opposite of drifting rwd and awd/4wd cars as in accelerating creates under-steer instead of over-steer. So throttle is used to pull your car out of a drift. In order to maintain the over-steer we need the e-brake is heavily relied upon. After initiating the slide, watch for the car trying to straighten out, once it starts to, start tapping or holding the e-brake depending on how hard it's trying to go straight, how long the corner is, and how much over-steer you need. Counter-steer is hardly ever necessary and should rarely be used while on throttle since it will flick the car in the other direction so hard that most the time control is lost. So in order to decrease over-steer, simply let go of the e-brake. A good time to use counter-steer on throttle is when one needs to transition from one corner to another in a chicane. Usually you will be steering into a corner or leaving the wheels straight while on the gas to counteract the drastic over-steer created by using the e-brake. Staying on the gas through most the corner is also necessary in order to keep speed up enough to keep the car sliding. For long corners it is usually necessary to keep holding the e-brake and giving it full gas to drag the sliding rear end through the rest of the corner( hence the nickname assdragging). This is also a situation in witch counter-steer on throttle is sometimes necessary in order to pull the car in the right direction but the key here is not to let go of the e-brake or control will be lost.

So now that we know how to drift a FF car, lets set it up to favor letting the rear slip out in a controlled manor.

Car Choice:
Most cars will do but the best are cars those that can still move forward from a dead stop while e-brake is being applied. This will allow for those long corners o be pulled of while still sliding. Hatchbacks are a really good choice as the extra body in the back will help to create a slide.

Tire Choice:
I found that the best tires in the rear are always going to be comfort hard in any case because the rear needs as little traction as possible in order to maintain a slide.

Now front tires depend on how powerful your car is and how much speed is needed for the corners. Most tire selections will be between comfort soft and sport soft. Comfort soft will provide the most under-steer, good for getting out of hairpins. Sport soft will give the care more front pull, good for pulling a car through long corners and for high-powered FF's.

Gearing
:
In most cases can be left alone. But, if a car is still under-steering to much, the gear ratio can be lengthened and vise-verse. This kind over resembles the effect of traction control but the the problem with TCS is that if you use it while trying to drift, it brings the car to a stop like any other car no matter the drive.

Differential:
I find that a really loose diff. is best as it lets the outside tire maintain traction enough to keep over-steering. I usually run Initial torque at 5, and accel. and deccel at 20 to keep it even and balanced. This can also be used to combat under-steer by decreasing accel. torque in order to keep that outside wheel pulling in on the front during a slide and vise-verse.

Suspension:
Similar to how you would set up a RWD drifter but backwards.
Ride Height: more personal preference but i like it as low as it can go with the rear being about 2mm to 5mm higher in the rear to control how much weight is thrown forward during a let-off over-steer

Spring rate: edit Most often twice as stiff as stock setup and usually stiffer in the front in order to break the rear tires lose and send the weight to the back wich keeps the suspenion compresed in order to hold a slide. If the car wont pull out of a drift easy or having a hard time transitioning then stiffer springs are needed and vise-verse.
I found that if the rear is softer you don't need touse a much brake wich means speed is retained more.

Dampeners: Have kinda the same effect as springs. I'm not to good at tuning this but I find keeping them even all the way round allows for a well balanced car. I usually run 6 for all 4 settings

Anti-roll Bars: Stiffer in the front than the rear allows for favored body roll in the rear that not only helps start a slide but as helps hold it too. Experiment with this setting to help start your drift

Camber: twice as much in the front as in the rear helps the car slide well. If your having a hard time sliding, increase rear, while if your spinning out too much or having to correct too much than decrease it

Toe: Again not one of my strong points but i found that decreasing rear toe decreases both initiation and the straightening out while increasing both increases initiation and the cars tendency to straighten out.

Everything else is more personal preference so I wont get into that but I will say that, like drifting anything else, the low end turbo charger is most preferred.

Hope this was helpful and encourages everyone to at least try FF drifting before they start bashing on it. It really is its own art form and a nice change of pace from RWD drifting. These tips can also be applied to FF cars in less intensity to increase its speed through a corner.

Please feel free to leave me any comments on what you think and if I got something wrong. But if your only going to post a comment on how lame FF drifting is or whether or not it is really drifting you can take that comment and shove it where the sun don't shine because your not changing my opinion and only wasting your time being an arrogant a**hole:grumpy:.

I hope to get a lot more people interested in FF drifting and if you see a FF drifting room most likely I created it since everybody else seems to be afraid to otherwise, so feel free to join and ask as many questions as you want and maybe we could even try to tandem FF.

Last edited:
. . . as much as I hate to admit it, yeah, you kinda can drift with FWD - not that the fact alone is anywhere in the ball park of "exciting" nor will anybody be flocking to try FWD.

I kinda skimmed the tuning but I once tried to drift a FWD on the same premise that "anything with four wheels can drift" (including my skateboard)

The major difference though, in FR's and FWD+skateboards is steering with the gas pedal through the corner.
You can't steer with the gas pedal which is the most satisfying aspect that most drifters get their thrills from while thrashing through corners.

When I tried, I tuned my car "retardedly" - I didn't really fine tune anything, I just figured since the whole pursuit was retarded it didn't really matter anyway,

I cranked the rear anti roll, springs, damper, and camber to the max,
Then I tuned the front like a normal track car.
Next, I hit the tarmac and started to steer WAY too sharp way too late, just to see what would happen - Can you guess ?

Yeah, it set itself at an angle, sliding in, to attack the corner . . . THEN! unlike driving an FR where you apply throttle and increase countersteer as your angle increases,
I was forced instead to pull some of the sucky-est moves in the history of driving:
I floored it, steered my darndest towards the exit and yanked the ebrake like 50 million times to maintain the angle.

All in all, anything with 4 wheels (be it My FC, a skateboard, or some Herra Frush Civic) CAN slide at a corner, but the difference is how it exits.

If you have online, I suggest joining a drift room and testing out how well you can tandem with anyone in there, I can 99.9% garantee you that you will be WAY slower through corners.

MyFC, If you would take the time to read the setup thoroughly you might find where you went wrong. True i shouldn't have said anything can drift, and yes I do admit that it is slower. But, I like how you said that you can't use the throttle to steer but yet said that you used the throttle to counter steer out of the corner. You do use the throttle to steer its kinda opposite of how you use it in a RWD car though. (Since the drive wheels are opposite, hey imagine that) The whole point of this is that FF cars can drift and through most corners can drift faster than trying to grip it. Like I said in earlier FF drifting relies heavily on the e-brake especially when trying to maintain the right angle. I've also had some drifts in an FF so clean that it looked like a RWD car.

"If you have online, I suggest joining a drift room and testing out how well you can tandem with anyone in there, I can 99.9% garantee you that you will be WAY slower through corners."
Honestly I never get the chance since everybody always seems to kick me before i even get the chance to try. That's why I make my own rooms that only FF and AWD( since nobody seems to agree that they can drift too) can join and drift in.

Jesus, personal opinion but maybe you just don't see the fun in how challenging it can be to make it look nice.

I said that FWD and skateboards cannot steer with the gas pedal.

FR's can maintain speed and angle in a corner with throttle alone. That is what I meant by "steer with the gas pedal"

FWD cannot do this.

I did not say I used throttle or countersteer to clear a corner in a FWD.
I turned all the way inwards (perhaps I did not make it clear which direction) to counter the severe understeer caused by my acceleration which itself was a counter to the speed loss of HOLDING THE BRAKE. lol

Okay, so you agree it's slow, and you believe there is a challenge in making it "look nice"

Know that the same challenge exists with FR's, the difference being the added challenge of keeping up ( NOT being slow)
and maybe if the people around you are halfway consistent, the challenge of adapting to eachothers style, respecting eachothers space, and getting some tandem happening.

How much RWD drifting have you done online ?

What is your motivation to drive FWD ?

Just wondering . . .

If you've been unable to see how your FWD drift compares to RWD in pub rooms, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it myself if you open your room to RWD So I could come and try tandem behind you -

I wont just come in and race away from you and say " HA LOSER FWD BLOWS " yada yada yada

OK, I'm on now come join my my screen name is R-I-M-P the room should be easy to find being the only room for ff drifting. As for my motives, everyone talks crap about it so I'm out to prove them wrong as well as I just like to be different.

So yeah, I went and joined his room and we drove together for a little bit.
Gotta say, I prefer driving with other FR, By far, but
He IS KINDA right, I mean, he was going fast enough n ****, had the angle . . .

My only criticism or whatever would be that it's (FWD drift) kinda really erratic due to the fact it's ALLL ebrake.
My whole thing, I was trying to tandem him from behind, and yeah, we totally made it happen, except it wasn't as easy as tandem with another FR

What it's like ?
: His angles happen at funny times at funny increments, he has the most angle 2/3 the way through the corner when he's practically perpendicular, it's crazy
and his entry aren't as smooth as power over or braking drift or feint drift, it's like full speed ebrake drift, which was kind of difficult to match, such angle so early
the speeds are all different too, give or take 10-20kmph but it makes the difference when you're trying to drive close,
it threw my rythm off at first, but I just started using more ebrake than I normally would so our cars would kinda match better,

Really, to make a tandem I just had to match his entry, then go my own way and just stay as tight as I could and hope we don't crash, and then if he didn't spin out and die, and if I didn't catch some grass and go die, and we didn't crash together and die, well then I would consider us to have cleared the corner in tandem.

All in all, it was fun, little bit crazy . . . I also hated the track ( it was suzuka, the caterpillar-shaped-half )

OH and I learned a VERY INTERESTING THING!

If you want to have a "private" drift room, like for a competition or whatever...

Just name it "FF DRIFT" or like "FF DRIFT hyundai OR KICK"
NO ONE will join for hours!

first when I saw the title, i thought, driving a civic in reverse and you transformed your FF car to an FR, tadaa you can drift. But I think FF drifting would be hard. :scared:

Rotary Junkie
I can send a FWD sideways on-throttle with no e-brake.

Just putting that out there.

Ya but can you actually drift following the line and continue to drift the while track?

So far I am only hearing people say it can drift but just sliding one corner at a time with no real control since its ebrake or just super fast entry doesn't really count. I'm sure you can slide it around with enough power and low grip anything will slide, but can you actually control the drift? People choose FR cars because they are the best at being able to control since back is power and front is steering. Also I am getting so confused front wheeled cars with front engines are referred to as FF while cars with all four wheels spinning are FWD or 4WD.

Ya but can you actually drift following the line and continue to drift the while track?

So far I am only hearing people say it can drift but just sliding one corner at a time with no real control since its ebrake or just super fast entry doesn't really count. I'm sure you can slide it around with enough power and low grip anything will slide, but can you actually control the drift? People choose FR cars because they are the best at being able to control since back is power and front is steering. Also I am getting so confused front wheeled cars with front engines are referred to as FF while cars with all four wheels spinning are FWD or 4WD.

FF and FWD are interchangeable. AWD/4WD are somewhat interchangeable though technically have different meanings. FWD is NEVER used to refer to all-wheel drive.

As for being able to "hold the line"; not the same one a RWD car would take, no, and not necessarily every corner, but I can send certain front drivers so far sideways it's not funny.

Also I am getting so confused front wheeled cars with front engines are referred to as FF while cars with all four wheels spinning are FWD or 4WD.
FF and FWD are interchangeable. AWD/4WD are somewhat interchangeable though technically have different meanings. FWD is NEVER used to refer to all-wheel drive.
Small correction; FF and FWD are not interchangeable. A front wheel drive car dous not have to be FF (front engine/front wheel drive). MF (mid enigne/FWD) and RF (rear engine/FWD) are also possible. MF cars: Citroen Traction, DS, SM, Saab Sonett, Renault 4.

Ok, somebody asked what the best FF car to drift are and here is my opinion from what I've tried
Mini cooper s
Suzuki swift
Honda civics(hatchback version)
Like I originaly said hatchbacks seem to work really well.
As for holding a slide from one corner to another, the distance between the coeners becomes that defining factor of weither or not you can. The tricky part is that the angle needed in order to stay sliding makes the car want to turn really tight. So this is what I do. Exit the corner a wide as you can then hold the e-brake while giving it full gas. While me and My_FC were trying to tandem on suzuka, I was able to hold a drift from one corner to the next.
I really don't care what people frown upon I think its neat trying to do something everyone one else is afraid to do because its "frowned upon".

you can 95% 'Pull it Off' at suzuka, and I was quite surprised at actually how well you DID pull it off, though,
I was unsurprised you had chosen suzuka

a core element to drifting FR's is "drawing circles"
a lot of youtube "drifting for beginners tutorials" will have the student first do small circles around a cone using all steering or all gas, then they will do large circles using a mixture of both.

when you are on a track you notice that all corners are just parts of circles.
Different wheel speeds, engine speeds, and car speeds all draw different sized circles.

you did very well with your FF at suzuka but I wonder how well FF would do on . . . grand valley? cape ring ?

Small correction; FF and FWD are not interchangeable. A front wheel drive car dous not have to be FF (front engine/front wheel drive). MF (mid enigne/FWD) and RF (rear engine/FWD) are also possible. MF cars: Citroen Traction, DS, SM, Saab Sonett, Renault 4.

True in that they are possible but not terribly common, not to mention that all of the above are rather like the Nissan Z cars; technically "mid engine" but the engine is still at the front of the car, just happens to be behind the front axle centerline.

You wouldn't call a Caterham mid-engine would you?

True in that they are possible but not terribly common, not to mention that all of the above are rather like the Nissan Z cars; technically "mid engine" but the engine is still at the front of the car, just happens to be behind the front axle centerline.

You wouldn't call a Caterham mid-engine would you?
Well, technically you should. Between the axle's = in the middle. I can't help it that the terms aren't used consistently, nor do I mind it. I was just trying to explain how a FWD car dousn't have to be a FF car. Maybe I should've used RWD and FR/MR/RR as a better example, since the vast majority of FWD's are indeed FF.

is this considered front wheel drifting
picture.php

:lol:

it was a wierd lag problem with one of the drifters joining the room, it also had the power of a vette zr1 so it hauled ass lol. and we do have a video of it still if slick still has it?

mopar-440
it was a wierd lag problem with one of the drifters joining the room, it also had the power of a vette zr1 so it hauled ass lol. and we do have a video of it still if slick still has it?

Yeah I took a video haha

It's possible to drift a FF and as good as a FR with a great tune. I did it once in GT4, I have yet to attempt it on GT5 though.

the actual definition of drifting is: Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver intentionally over steers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle prior to the corner apex, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa), and the driver is controlling these factors.

the actual definition of drifting is: Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver intentionally over steers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle prior to the corner apex, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa), and the driver is controlling these factors.

Good to know you can copy-pasta from Wikipedia dude 👍

There's guys in japan use some lil car (forget which, might be suz alto) and can keep it sideways for an entire lap. It is possible (have a go in the snow) but I wouldn't call it drifting, in the same way I wouldn't call an awd drifting.

Back