Driving Force GT weird problems!

• Thread starter Dave49
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
My DFGT has recently started to chronically misbehave! I only use it to play Euro Truck Simulator.(Win 10) It began by deciding to only steer straight when it was about 45 degrees to the right, which was a pain. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, and several other software related possible fixes, but nothing worked so I did some research and from what I read it appeared that the problem could be related to the optical encoder. So I opened up the wheel to investigate, expecting to find a split or otherwise damaged encoder wheel, but on inspection it appeared to be in perfect condition, a nice firm fit on the shaft and no apparent damage even when inspected with a magnifying glass, although the shaft does have some lateral movement, whether that is normal I've no idea. Everything inside, the gears, motor etc also seem to be in excellent shape, so it went back together. However, when I plugged it back in my pc wouldn't recognise it at all! I did eventually manage to get it recognised tho. And now comes the weird parts. Going into Control panel and Hardware and then into the test bit, where the wheel and all the buttons can be tested, the wheel orientation at top left flicks 90 degrees to the right as soon as I so much as touch the wheel and doesn't move no matter how far I turn the wheel. I should've said the wheel goes through it's calibration routine as normal. All the buttons check out ok, but the needles showing the brake and accelerator start at 12 o'clock and only move to the right, and the red sliders go to zero when the brake and accelerator are pressed.
If I go into the calibrate screens there is no little '+' appearing in the large square at all and the brake and accelerator blue sliders don't move at all.
I dual boot with windows 7 and went into that to see what would happen, and what does happen is that when in game, as soon as i touch the wheel it starts to try and shake itself to pieces! And when back in Windows 10, it just slams itself to full lefthand lock and thats it!
I've tested the power supply and it's giving a full 24 volts, but....Some time ago the power plug into the wheel got very loose and the wheel kept cutting out, so to fix that I rolled a piece of baking foil and inserted it into the plug to make it a nice firm fit, and that has been fine ever since.
I don't know what other information to add at this point that may help to diagnose the problem. Please feel free to ask though.
Thanks
Dave

Hey, I've used a DFGT in the recent past, I've had weird issues with it, all issues which were solved with driver and software updates. Even then, there were some weird compatibility issues I had to rig around, but after some tweaking, it worked just fine. Honestly, this wheel is old enough to drive (if a human in the U.S), I'm unsure of what this issue could be, but it sounds complex.

I'm a little confused though... So, you say the wheel works fine now after you put a piece of baking foil into the plug?

I may have mislead you over the baking foil bit. That happened a few years ago, and was a seperate incident and not related to my current problems whatsoever. On reflection I shouldn't have mentioned it at all. Sorry.
However, I still have my problems unresolved, so any and every helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Back