Evolution of NASCAR's Traditional Stock cars

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 6 comments

RACECAR

Keeper of the Undocumented Changes Threads.
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
In this thread, we'll debate/discuss the rapidly changed world of Stock cars that have raced under the NASCAR name. From where the cars started:

0308au.jpg

to now:

20080229dg1193tr8.jpg

To start, One thing I've found interesting is the aerodynamic Evolution of the cars from 1997 to now.

earnhardt_wheaties_car.jpg

When you look at the Monte Carlo, its seems more aero efficient on the front end in comparison to the Ford Thunderbird
771681568_436ecbfed2.jpg

However, it falls short in terms of slippery profile to its GM sibling, the Pontiac Grand Prix:

297016.jpg

The 1998 version sports a slightly better aero package:

ERTL,%20KELLOGG'S%20MONTE%20CARLO%20f.jpg

Its not as fluid in comparison however in comparison to Ford's new Taurus

90.gif

or Pontiac's Grand Prix:
Jbenson.jpg

I'll continue when I find the time to. Post away.

If I recall, T-Birds never did quite well at NASCAR; now there is a possible reason. Only when the Ford Taurus came (which is very aerodynamic as a stock car) did the company have real success, with drivers such as Dale Jarrett, Jeff Burton, Geoff Bodine and company.

If I recall, T-Birds never did quite well at NASCAR; now there is a possible reason. Only when the Ford Taurus came (which is very aerodynamic as a stock car) did the company have real success, with drivers such as Dale Jarrett, Jeff Burton, Geoff Bodine and company.
It had little success, but definately not as much as the Taurus.

in 1999, none of the cars had any real noticeable changes

KenGingerMan06_L.jpg

1999_Ford_TaurusNASCAR_exfrdrvr34.jpg

stewart.jpg

In 2000 however, the was some very notable change, beginning with the Monte Carlo having a usually shaped Spoiler and reshaped front end.

2000.jpg

Ford also had done a major rework with its taurus and it came out with quite possibly the most sleekest machine that year.

28coke600.jpg

Pontiac makes some small changes, keeping the Grand Prix's aerodynamic capabilities on par with the Monte Carlo
18monster.jpg

Then 2001, The Monte Carlo undergoes yet another very notible change in its body, namely with a wider flare to the front fender

532096.jpg

Ford's Taurus remains little changed
p92572_large+UPS_Ford_Taurus_Race_Car+Overhead_Front_Drivers_Side_View.jpg

Yet again, no big changes from Pontiac
stewart_tony01.jpg

Then came Dodge who for the first time since 1985, competes and does so with the new Intrepid, complete with a very aerodynamic body
elliott.384.jpg

2002 remains the same for both the Monte carlo and the Taurus
0304134_7z+Miller_Lite_Ford_Taurus_Race_Car_And_Dupont_Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo_Race_Car+Front_Drivers_Side_View_Side_By_Side.jpg

Same for the Dodge Intrepid
22cat-front.jpg

And the Pontiac Grand Prix
20apex-bristol.jpg

2003 was interesting however as Chevy made significant improvement on the Monte Carlo, in particular on the Front Valence and Fender
24dupont-lfront.jpg

Ford sticks to its current shape of the Taurus.
2608735.jpg

Dodge makes a subtle change to the grille on the intrepid, but keeps the body near identical
2174935.jpg

For its last year in Nascar, Pontiac brings out its significantly improved Grand Am
10valvoline-lfront.jpg

Now comes the new era, the Nextel Cup, and with it new things from the manufacterers. Chevy again shapes the Monte Carlo's Valence and fenders and does away with the wavy Spoiler in favor of a more rounded one
198655529EydDcS_ph.jpg

Ford does some minor changes with the taurus, most notable on the Grille itself
97sharpies-front.jpg

With Dodge's Intrepid in its last year, it remains unchanged
43cheerios-front.jpg

2005 Sees Chevrolet doing just a little more aero changes as the nose now sits even lower
56027942.jpg

Ford's Taurus enters its last year in competition an unchanged machine
16natguard-front2.jpg

Dodge enters its new Charger, which runs into plenty of Aero problems leaving some teams to switch back & forth between it and the intrepid
9dodge-r1.jpg

2006 Sees cars that would stay in competition all the way to now, beginning with quite possibly the most aerodynamic incarnation from Chevrolet, the Monte Carlo SS
1376254624_67dcf83c84.jpg

Ford Debuts the Fusion, similarly shaped like last year's Taurus
Ford_Fusion_Daytona_ES.jpg

Dodge Solves the Aeros issues with the nose of the Charger
57596170.jpg

And in 2007, A well known Japanese manufacterer shows up and becoming the first foreign manufacterer to compete in nascar since MG and Jaguar, Toyota and their now venerable Camry
11-03-07-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hasn't NASCAR always tried to equalize the cars when one body had an advantage over another by lowering or raising the front valence?

Are the current noses on the COT cars identical?

Anyways, here is some of my favorite cars from 1997. Looking back at it, my favorite cars were probably from the 1997 season. In 1998 the Taurus was unveiled and it lost some of the literal stockiness of a stock car by being a bit too aero efficient for my tastes but still a good looking car, especially Dale Jarret's 1999 winning car.

So here are some cars from

Ernie Irvan's Ford when he led alot of laps at the 1997 Coke 600

28white10.jpg

Mark Martin's Ford Thunderbird. This car was before the flames era (when Jeff Gordon's team was known as the rainbow warriors now just his car is known as flames because of the new flames paint) and the paint stripes flowing backwards made it look very fast and sophisticated, like the modern Peugeot 908s

72545930.jpg

1997-nascar-results-1.jpg

A couple of 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlos of Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon

1997-nascar-4.jpg

Jeff Gordon as Rainbow Warriors not flames (1997)

1094061892wa.jpg

I think you meant
to now:
t1_gordon.cot.jpg

I wasn't counting the COTs, I was talking about the Traditional cars as the Nationwide series still runs them.

@ Earth: They indeed have. If I recall, thier was actually a time where Ford Complained that the Monte carlos had an unfair aero advantage. As far as the COTS go, they are too identical if you ask me. If you were to remove the manufacterer specific Decals, everyone has the same car.

Something very interesting I've been looking at for quite a while. Out of all the current traditional Stock cars racing today, the Toyota Camry and the Chevy Monte Carlo SS have the most similar aerodynamic bodies. The Fusion and the Charger have their distinctive differences while the Camry and Monte Carlo have very similar bodies. For a accurate comparison, I'll use the Joe Gibbs Racing's #18 cars from Last year and this year:

Pay particular attention to the Front
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Its interesting how similar these are. WIth the exception of the manufacterer shaped grilles, They would basically look almost alike without their headlight decals.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back