Faked ABS

• Thread starter John G
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I am playing with ABS on full and whilst it does work in that it prevents locking, it does not seem to do it in a conventional or realistic way.

In a real car you press the pedal and get corresponding pressure to the brakes. If a wheel speed sensor detects locking then the ABS partially releases pressure to allow the wheel to regain grip.

However, in the game, IF we go by the braking indicator, then it would appear to work by bleeding off 20% of your braking force. At all times! You'll see most of the brake indicator bar is white. This white bit is normally an indication of the threshold (I.e. how much you apply to maximise braking without locking up) and the red bit on top is how much you are over. But if you back off the brakes, instead of reducing the red bit (indicating how much the ABS is doing) it reduces the white bit too and keeps some red on top!?

It's even as stupid as when you are stopped and with brakes on, you'll still get a red bit on top. How is ABS needed or triggered at standstill??

Then there is the added confusion that in a replay the whole braking indicator bar is red!

It seems to do TC ok - you get the red flicker only when it applies TC due to wheel spin. So why not ABS? And why no adjustable variable level of ABS intervention like we have on TC - apart from on / weak / off which is a global setting?

There are much bigger problems that need tackling than this right now, the ABS works and still makes you significantly faster in most cases than someone not using it, I don't see the big deal.

As far as we know it could just be a UI error.

There are much bigger problems that need tackling than this right now, the ABS works and still makes you significantly faster in most cases than someone not using it, I don't see the big deal.

As far as we know it could just be a UI error.
If you use ABS on full compared to the lowest setting, does it stop you faster?

If you use ABS on full compared to the lowest setting, does it stop you faster?

Its not a simple as if it stops you faster, its if it consistently stops you faster over the course of a lap.. or even a race. The answer to the latter is definitely yes.

Its not a simple as if it stops you faster, its if it consistently stops you faster over the course of a lap.. or even a race. The answer to the latter is definitely yes.
Really dam, I use it on halfway Ill max it out from now. be good to know if anyone has done a comparison on this, I feel like a you tuber needs to do a Split screen test on this.

Really dam, I use it on halfway Ill max it out from now. be good to know if anyone has done a comparison on this, I feel like a you tuber needs to do a Split screen test on this.

You don't get those micro-lockups that shred your tyres on Default which really helps, much smoother too.

You can definitely feel the fronts lock if you try to brake and turn with ABS off. You don’t get quite the same kind of understeer with ABS on you can still steer a bit. I usually have it on weak or off in classic cars. Helps to have a stiff brake pedal if you turn it off.

Back