Fanatec acquired by Corsair

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 304 comments
Honestly for sim racing hydraulic pedals do not affect the braking performance in the sim as the applied pressures still have to be turned into an electronic signal for the game to be able to process it.

In my opinion I cannot see where a hydraulic system has any advantage over a properly set up pedal using rubber and elastomers that is set up to operate at the racers preferred amount of pressure and free play in the pedal sensor.
I'm looking for something that gives a more realistic feeling, which is what hydraulic ones do, so I didn't talk about performance.

If we talk about performance, the hydraulic one should still be better, because it offers continuity in its performance, unlike elastomers, which with the passage of time and use, lose their initial properties, becoming softer.

No matter what, changes coming from the take over will take time.
Given the reports that Chinese suppliers went on strike and only sent out goods if they were paid in full beforehand, the first priority will most likely be to get the regular supplies working again.
Unless they already started to manufacture new products, my guess would be that new products will take some time to appear on the market.
Not to mention that Corsairs plan to make the goods available outside of the Fanatec shop will also mean they need to have more of the existing products available than before, so that will come first too.

I'm looking for something that gives a more realistic feeling, which is what hydraulic ones do, so I didn't talk about performance.

If we talk about performance, the hydraulic one should still be better, because it offers continuity in its performance, unlike elastomers, which with the passage of time and use, lose their initial properties, becoming softer.
What do you mean realistic? When you press the brake it forces you forward? Your seat tilts?

I think things are getting detached from reality as what a pedal does. If I get in my track car and press the brake pedal compared to my pedal in my rig, the only difference is that when I start my car my pedal is softer than when it's off and there is no booster vacuum. Do you need a brake booster vaccum to get this realism?

And with Hydraulics over time the seals will wear/deteriorate and leak whatever fluid is being used all over your rig and floor.
I have yet to have used a set of elastomer bushings to a point they changed the feeling or operation and needed to be replaced.

But then I sim race in my stocking feet and set the brake pedal up to where I do not need to stand on it with all my weight to get full activation of the brakes either.
Same goes for my steering I fully embrace the concept of power steering so I do not need my steering set up where it takes excessive effort to get the car to turn into and through a corner.

You talk about being realistic?
Do people not notice that most race drivers are slim, more slightly built fellows and do not look through the upper chest/arms and legs like gym rats that are applying tons of force to the steering and braking inputs for multiple hours/laps during a race?

Again in a sim setting a hydraulic pedal set still relies on conversion to a digital signal and the means of whether by dampers or fluid compression of how the pressure is distributed upon the pressure sensor which it and software settings are actually doing all the work is irrelevant except for complexity and most of all cost.

And with Hydraulics over time the seals will wear/deteriorate and leak whatever fluid is being used all over your rig and floor.
I have yet to have used a set of elastomer bushings to a point they changed the feeling or operation and needed to be replaced.

But then I sim race in my stocking feet and set the brake pedal up to where I do not need to stand on it with all my weight to get full activation of the brakes either.
Same goes for my steering I fully embrace the concept of power steering so I do not need my steering set up where it takes excessive effort to get the car to turn into and through a corner.

You talk about being realistic?
Do people not notice that most race drivers are slim, more slightly built fellows and do not look through the upper chest/arms and legs like gym rats that are applying tons of force to the steering and braking inputs for multiple hours/laps during a race?

Again in a sim setting a hydraulic pedal set still relies on conversion to a digital signal and the means of whether by dampers or fluid compression of how the pressure is distributed upon the pressure sensor which it and software settings are actually doing all the work is irrelevant except for complexity and most of all cost.
We are all different and have different needs and wants. Some players find a hydraulic pedal more immersive and easier to control. Others do not. That's just how things are.

Back