Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 1,066 comments
Got my first disconnection with 455 yesterday. First race of the day, 10 minutes in I lost FFB and buttons (including paddle shifters) on the wheel. I could still steer, accelerate and brake and use both H shifter and sequential shifters. Had to restart the base. Will update to 457 now and try the 1.1.0.3 wqr firmware.

Yep, 457 with the test 1.1.0.3 wqr firmware is no good. 1 hour and 20 minutes in I had the freeze for a couple of seconds.
Just for clarity. You pm’d maurice regarding the post he made at 904am edt today. He sent you the .zip and you’ve installed, and it failed out in 80min?

“Marcel Pfister Member, Administrator 9:04AM
CS DD disconnection issue

I've got a new quick release test firmware for the CS DD which has a potential fix for the disconnection issue. Please write me a PM if you have the issue regularly and would be interested to test if it solves the issue for you.

Thanks for the continues help with these complicated issues. Meanwhile we've received some affected bases but unfortunately it was still not easy to reproduce the issue and work on a fix, hopefully we are now a significant step closer to get rid of the issue.”

Just for clarity. You pm’d maurice regarding the post he made at 904am edt today. He sent you the .zip and you’ve installed, and it failed out in 80min?

“Marcel Pfister Member, Administrator 9:04AM
CS DD disconnection issue

I've got a new quick release test firmware for the CS DD which has a potential fix for the disconnection issue. Please write me a PM if you have the issue regularly and would be interested to test if it solves the issue for you.

Thanks for the continues help with these complicated issues. Meanwhile we've received some affected bases but unfortunately it was still not easy to reproduce the issue and work on a fix, hopefully we are now a significant step closer to get rid of the issue.”

I didn’t have to ask Marcel, he sent me the file via PM around the same time he made the forum post. We’ve already been exchanging messages about the disconnections (he reached out and offered to replace my base so their engineering team could study the issue) and he has also sent me 1.1.0.2 before to test which was also no good.

I updated the base to the 457 firmware, then manually updated the wqr to 1.1.0.3. Did 30 minute Sarthe, two Super Formula Road Atlanta (around 17-18 minutes each). Started another Super Formula Road Atlanta Race and that’s when it froze

Last edited:
I didn’t have to ask Maurice, he sent me the file via PM around the same time he made the forum post. We’ve already been exchanging messages about the disconnections (he reached out and offered to replace my base so their engineering team could study the issue) and he has also sent me 1.1.0.2 before to test which was also no good.

I updated the base to the 457 firmware, then manually updated the wqr to 1.1.0.3. Did 30 minute Sarthe, two Super Formula Road Atlanta (around 17-18 minutes each). Started another Super Formula Road Atlanta Race and that’s when it froze
Ahhh cool. You were so fast with it…and brave lol..! Glad their letting you help a bit. Bummer its been a double face plant but ruling things out is just as important as ruling them in, so…ya know..its not the progress we hope for but its progress nonetheless!

Same I got the file without going to forum. This is what I have now (pic)

It doesn’t surprise me that they can’t reproduce this freezing issue. I play for dozens of hours, days or weeks.. and it’s fine, I think it’s cured, and then it randomly happens again.

IMG_5217.jpeg

Edit- Connected USB to PS5, did not turn on PS5, turned on wheel to change the modes before I turned on PS5, and then it never went through it's normal boot up routine.

Now it is in a frozen state where nothing responds at all. Was working fine on PC. Interesting.Won't even shut off.
Now I'm afraid if I unplug power, wheel will be bricked. Arhgg...

crazy mad meme face ALPHA PNG with color.png

Edit 2
Unplugged it from powered off PS5 and it finished boot routine! What the actual ....?
Guess I chose the right option. There were several. OMG

Edit 3
Just did the new time trial and everything seems fine. That was weird, but seems ok now.

Last edited:
Just as little info about shifters.. Info might be a good guide how to connect shifters to wheel. I didn't even realize you could use two at the same time, I never even thought about it though. From my email with Marcel:

----------------
"Theoretically the shifter should not have an impact on the disconnection issue but because of your feedback we are looking into this possibility and are also asking other customers with the issue if they are using a shifter to find out if this could play a roll.

If you are connecting the h-pattern shifter (ClubSport Shifter to the shifter port 1 and a potential second sequential shifter (CSR sequential) to port 2 you are doing everything right. Two shifters can be connected, just the h-pattern one should be in port 1 and there should not be a second h-pattern one connected. It’s also adviced to use shifter port 1 in case only 1 shifter is used."
------------------

Yep, 457 with the test 1.1.0.3 wqr firmware is no good. 1 hour and 20 minutes in I had the freeze for a couple of seconds.
So, you had the "soft disconnect" issue with the sequential shifter also connected, correct? It seems Marcel is specifically wanting to know if people have the sequential shifter connected or not according to his PM along with serial numbers to all the gear you own, which may or may not be an issue that causes issues. I don't use an attached sequential shifter, so I'm going to try the "HOT-FIX" Marcel sent over. The firmware on PC Driver 455 was stable for me on PS5. 457 was just as stable for the first 5 weeks until now. I get the "soft disconnect" exactly 10 minutes into any driving game I try. That in itself is odd. I'm going back to 455 on all gear if the "Hot Fix" is a bust.

Last edited:
FMW
So, you had the "soft disconnect" issue with the sequential shifter also connected, correct? It seems Marcel is specifically wanting to know if people have the sequential shifter connected or not according to his PM along with serial numbers to all the gear you own, which may or may not be an issue that causes issues. I don't use an attached sequential shifter, so I'm going to try the "HOT-FIX" Marcel sent over. The firmware on PC Driver 455 was stable for me on PS5. 457 was just as stable for the first 5 weeks until now. I get the "soft disconnect" exactly 10 minutes into any driving game I try. That in itself is odd. I'm going back to 455 on all gear if the "Hot Fix" is a bust.

I don’t think the sequential shifter is the cause because:

1. I only got the sequential shifter on May 25. Which means I had the freezing without it with 1.1.0.1 and 1.1.0.2

2. I wired up the sequential shifter myself. It’s an aliexpress shifter that I connected directly to a 6c6p RJ12 cable. It’s just three wires going to the base from the two microswitches. Ground, upshift and downshift. The base has no way of knowing there is a shifter attached.

I don’t think the sequential shifter is the cause because:

1. I only got the sequential shifter on May 25. Which means I had the freezing without it with 1.1.0.1 and 1.1.0.2

2. I wired up the sequential shifter myself. It’s an aliexpress shifter that I connected directly to a 6c6p RJ12 cable. It’s just three wires going to the base from the two microswitches. Ground, upshift and downshift. The base has no way of knowing there is a shifter attached.
I see. Will you be taking him up on his offer to send in the base for inspection?

FMW
I see. Will you be taking him up on his offer to send in the base for inspection?

Unfortunately it wouldn’t be practical for me to send my base since I live in a country that Fanatec doesn’t ship to. I had to use a forwarder to ship the Fanatec gear to me.

Just had another freeze with 457 and 1.1.0.3. After the freeze yesterday I played for an hour and had no issues. Today 30 minutes in, I got the freeze. GT7, PS5, McLaren wheel.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it wouldn’t be practical for me to send my base since I live in a country that Fanatec doesn’t ship to. I had to use a forwarder to ship the Fanatec gear to me.

Just had another freeze with 457 and 1.1.0.3. After the freeze yesterday I played for an hour and had no issues. Today 30 minutes in, I got the freeze. GT7, PS5, McLaren wheel.
I tried the "TEST WQR" 1.1.0.3 hot fix, yesterday. On GT7 I got the "soft disconnect" within 10 minutes of playing a single player quick race. After 2 seconds it automatically reconnected and I was able to continue playing for about an hour before it did it again. For the sake of a proper test, I continued to play GT7 as I was practicing for a league race with friends later in the evening. No disconnects for the next 3 hours of practice. I was going to tempt fate. I intended to use the base for the league race, but decided against it. LOL I slapped my trusty DDPro for the race. Suffice it to say, it took me 5 laps to get used to the DD Pro base being half the power. Anyway, going to try it again today in ACC and F1, just to make sure it's happening in all games.

I have had the soft disconnect twice, and both times was when I had left my unit on for a long time, over a few hours idle.
The shifters, FFB and buttons stop working. Power off and back on and it is fine. But has definetly been idle time while powered on for me.

The "Hot Fix" has appeared to solve a lot of the affected bases, which is good to hear! For a few, not so much. For the sake of thoroughness, I continued to test the hot fix throughout the weekend. With F1 2023, I had it "soft disconnect" while playing a single player race. It happened within the first 10 minutes. In this instance, the steering went numb, and the car went full speed with throttle stuck wide open into a wall. After 2-3 seconds, everything came back to life. Same thing happened with ACC. No steering for 2-3 seconds. In GT7, it happens about every hour or so. Sometimes, I can get two hours in before I get the “soft disconnect”. In ACC and GT7, I use my BMW GT wheel and in F1, I used my F1 wheel. For a hot second, I thought one of my wheels was not playing nice, but it happens regardless of wheel rim used.

Anyway, in my case, I reported this all back to Fanatec along with other information they requested including the serial number to the base. As it turns out, they want the base back for internal inspection and analysis, which I agreed to.

I suspect there is a small batch of bad bases which they are trying to narrow down.

I’ve had a couple of freezes now with 2.1.0.3 and 1.1.0.3. I’ll go ahead and try 1.1.0.3 with 2.1.0.4, hopefully it will be better for me too

Okay so I flashed the base to 2.1.0.4 with the wqr at 1.1.0.3. Started a race in GT7, had a freeze 2 minutes in.

My 2.1.0.4 is the "hotfix" version. "CS_DD_v2.1.0.4_hotfix_disconnection_issue_test_release.eff"
Not sure if it's different from the other one that came with 455. I'm thinking it's the same but not sure. 🤷‍♂️

It's so weird why some FW combos work with one identical wheel and not the other. Boggles my mind.

Had my first disconnect issues. Two disconnects in the same session last Tuesday and it sounds like what BWX had experienced: steering and FFB cut out for a few seconds and then pops back in like nothing happened. I've put in about 5 hours since then with no further issues.

I upgraded from 455 for 457 when it came out, that's been the only change and I've already put in a good amount of time with 457 before anything happened.
Just wanted to say, been about two weeks since this happened and I played a LOT during that period thanks to pushing to get a 7:39 on the Nordschleife TT and I haven't had any disconnects or other issues since then. So far it has only been that one evening.

Okay so I flashed the base to 2.1.0.4 with the wqr at 1.1.0.3. Started a race in GT7, had a freeze 2 minutes in.

I’ve now done over 12 hours of driving time since I had this initial feeze after flashing the base to 2.1.0.4 with the WQR at 1.1.0.3. In those 12 hours (some of which were 1 hour Spa races), not a single freeze or disconnect. It’s very stable now compared to how it was with 2.1.0.3 and 1.1.0.3. My only issue is sometimes when starting a race or after a pit stop, the steering or FFB will be off - either the FFB torque is too strong (heavy steering) or the turning radius becomes larger which requires more wheel rotation to turn in. Pausing the game then resuming fixes both of these issues. Not sure if it's a problem with the wheel or with GT7.

Last edited:
So mine has been working fine with a few weird bugs..
Here's what I posted on Fanatec Forum:
-------
My GT DD X has been working fine and stable but that issue where I have it hooked up to powered off PS5 USB (no USB adapters or extensions or hubs), is repeatable.

If I power on the wheel while PS5 is powered off, the wheel will not go through its boot cycle. Wheel is in PS mode.

As soon as I unplug USB from PS5, it completes boot cycle. Otherwise it has been stable and no problems except hand brake output is jumpy.

GT DD Extreme, Metal QR2, PS5, CSL Elite V2 Pedals (hooked up to wheel

Clubsport handbrake v1.5 (hooked up to wheel),

Driver 457 on PC.

Wheelbase FW 2.1.0.4 "CS_DD_v2.1.0.4_hotfix_disconnection_issue_test_release.eff" manually installed after installing all 457 drivers.

Wheel FW 1.0.7.0 (457)

Wireless QR FW 1.1.0.3 (test FW June 7th)

Base S/N:GR01401xxxx

GT DD X Wheel s/n GQ47302xxxx

video:

Also here's the jumpy handbrake, I've seen others report this.

@BWX

Does your base complete the boot cycle when you power on the PS5? Mine doesn’t boot also when powered on with the console off (led stays red). As soon as the PS5 is turned on, it boots up and the led switches to the blue PS5 mode.

I haven’t compared your handbrake movement to mine but it looks normal to me?

The handbrake is supposed to be smoother than that I think, when I hold it still it's jumping all over. Probably need to hook it directly to PC to see if it still does it. But yeah my wheel is fine when PS5 is already on, just when it's powered off, the wheel won't boot. Actually never tried just powering on PS5 from that state, it would probably boot up fine after that actually. Seems like it should boot up anyways though. But Marcel did say it was weird and to report it. I never tried to duplicate it till yesterday.

I’ve now done over 12 hours of driving time since I had this initial feeze after flashing the base to 2.1.0.4 with the WQR at 1.1.0.3. In those 12 hours (some of which were 1 hour Spa races), not a single freeze or disconnect. It’s very stable now compared to how it was with 2.1.0.3 and 1.1.0.3. My only issue is sometimes when starting a race or after a pit stop, the steering or FFB will be off - either the FFB torque is too strong (heavy steering) or the turning radius becomes larger which requires more wheel rotation to turn in. Pausing the game then resuming fixes both of these issues. Not sure if it's a problem with the wheel or with GT7.
The issue you describe regarding what happens to your wheel when you exit the pits when playing GT7 is called "the steering rotation bug". It's been a known issue long before the "Soft Disconnect" and "Hard Disconnect" issues. It affects all FANATEC bases, from the DD Pro to the Podium DD PS, and of course the DD+. The issue only happens when you exit the pits and it does not happen all the time. It's mostly rare, but it is annoying. The only way to fix it is to do what you did. Pause, sometimes fixes, while most of the time people have to reboot the base. As far as I'm aware, it only happens in GT7. My best bud uses a Podium DD PS and my other bud uses the DD Pro. They have it happen once in a blue moon.

Well my GT DD X wheel base was shipped out yesterday, going back to Germany. Getting replacement soon. I had it running good with no disconnects or even soft disconnects or "freezing" with latest test FW combinations finally, but Fanatec wanted to check it out anyways because I had all of those problems since launch except the really bad disconnects that happened constantly for some people. I never had that problem, it was always intermittent. It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in the new base though as far as feel or performance or anything like that. ✌

IMG_5501.JPEG

Mine is also going to be sent back to Germany. I have to say, they really went out of their way because I am in a country in Southeast Asia that they don’t sell to, but they still sent me a return shipping label and the replacement base already arrived in my country and is pending customs clearance. I guess they really want to find out what is causing all the freezes and disconnections. With all these bases they had sent back, hopefully they can finally fix the problem

Back