Ford Maverick discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 75 comments
Smaller than the Ridgeline, yet has a bigger bed than the Santa Cruz...seems like a good combo!

The only thing that worries me is that based on all of the spy pics I've seen so far, this would like a fugly thing.

To combat the Ridgeline and Santa Fe?
*Santa Cruz. Perhaps. The Escape and Tucson are in the same category so the Santa Cruz is probably direct competition for the Maverick, but the Ridgeline is quite a bit bigger, at least one category above either of these. I think it'll be a better truck than the Santa Cruz and might end up selling really well because genuinely small trucks have been dead for a decade or more now. The current Ranger isn't small by any means.

Last edited:

I haven't watched DeMuro's video yet, but everything I've seen and read so far points to this thing being a pretty sick package. 40MPG with lots of utility, but still manageable enough to not be a pain in a tight city (which would be great with downtown St. Pete's PITA parallel parking spots).

The Maverick seems to be made for people like me who hate modern full-size pickups and don't necessarily need a mid-size for daily activities. I can see myself looking at picking up one of these in the next few years. The $20k starting point, while insanely competitive, makes me wonder what the "catch" is, though.

Between the Lightning and this, Ford seems to be on a mission to greatly disturb the truck market for everyone else. :lol:

Last edited:
40mpg city is very impressive. 500 mile range is impressive. Are there any other non-diesel trucks that can even hit 30mpg city or highway? The Santa Cruz does 27 highway and the Ridgeline does 24 highway. I'm guessing that the Maverick's highway economy numbers are more down to earth (maybe 25-27?) but this thing should be a compelling alternative to something like a Honda Civic for people living in medium to high density areas that like to "get away" on the weekends. I can see this being a very popular vehicle in coastal CA and Portland and Austin etc - basically anywhere you have city-dwelling active lifestylers.

I mean, it's not great looking...but considering the constraints they were working around, it's really not bad. The interior actually looks rather nice too...Ford has been on a roll with interiors lately, both Broncos and this look great. And $19k...that's seriously impressive. You can't even get a base Honda Civic for $19k.

edit: To clarify about the interiors...I like that Ford has opted with this car and with the Broncos to use a more utilitarian-like palette of materials on the interiors, there isn't some premium-aspirational design language which seems to be so popular at the moment. I really like the more matte textures, vibrant colors, and chunky design elements, there is some real creativity going on - it's reminiscent to me of concept stuff from the early 2000s, and a lot less serious-sleek that you get in something like the Santa Cruz, which to me is starting to feel a little claustrophobic. I think this is especially apparent in the Doug video.

Last edited:
I'm also digging the interior design and material choices. The front end not so much - it looks like some sort of cyclops creature, especially from the side view. I wish it had a more hard-edged face like the bigger trucks.

I think this is properly utilitarian without being crappy and will see decent sales. I expect it to do better than the Santa Cruz which is a bit too stylish and soft. I doubt you'll see many Santa Cruzes with a rooftop tent on the bad and dirt and mud all over the sides but the AWD Maverick should be capable enough for exactly that, and look the part while doing it.

Sport mode on a pickup truck. That's .......... funny.

I had to stop watching DeMuro's video. I was getting irritated because he apparently can't stay rather still when talking. He must be exhausted after making a video.

Last edited:
...and a CVT.

A CVT is actually a pretty good fit for a hybrid, and the ones in Fords seem...ok? In any case, the biggest problem I have with a CVT is the rubberband motive force, but the electric motor should fill that in decently I would think.

Getting "$60k C8" vibes from the projected pricing.
These car companies know basically nobody actually buys the base model lol. I don't doubt the hybrid drivetrain sells but they're basically all going to be XLTs and higher.

These car companies know basically nobody actually buys the base model lol. I don't doubt the hybrid drivetrain sells but they're basically all going to be XLTs and higher.

I think the bottom end of the price segment is a little different. This is, by 2021 standards, a genuinely cheap car and apparently Ford is not expecting to take a loss on the base price car (like I'm certain GM is doing with the C8) so there isn't a strong reason to limit how many of those go to dealerships. At this price level, Ford will be stealing sales from used car dealerships, which is kind of nuts to think about. To put it another way, if you are actively searching for the cheapest new car you can get (or one of them) - especially one that offers a lot of utility, your mindset is going to be a lot different from somebody looking to put down $60k or more on what it is almost definitely a 2nd or 3rd car that will be driven primarily on weekends. I can see a lot of base or lightly optioned Mavericks going out the door - especially when you think about how many small time contractors will be buying these things.

VXR
So is this essentially this era's Explorer Sport Trac?
If you're focussed exclusively on the bodystyle, yes.

Taking into account everything else, no.

This is this eras Ford Focus. Price, Economy etc. It's not *just* some funky sport utility truck, it's a legitimate alternative to a compact car.

Frankly, the FWD Hybrid version is the most exciting part of this vehicle. The Turbo and Turbo AWD vehicles lose some of the appeal since they'll be similar in spec to the Santa Cruz and most Crossovers.

But the Hybrid part of this vehicle and the price it's sold at means you can replace your Corolla, Civic, etc and not sacrifice anything, while gaining a more versatile vehicle in the process.

The Subaru Baja, the Ridgeline, the Santa Cruz can't do that. They never could. They were always alternative takes on trucks or SUV's with a bed, based on price and economy. But this thing doesn't sacrifice on price or EPA, which makes it incredible imo.

Last edited:
If you're focussed exclusively on the bodystyle, yes.

Taking into account everything else, no.

This is this eras Ford Focus. Price, Economy etc. It's not *just* some funky sport utility truck, it's a legitimate alternative to a compact car.

Frankly, the FWD Hybrid version is the most exciting part of this vehicle. The Turbo and Turbo AWD vehicles lose some of the appeal since they'll be similar in spec to the Santa Cruz and most Crossovers.

But the Hybrid part of this vehicle and the price it's sold at means you can replace your Corolla, Civic, etc and not sacrifice anything, while gaining a more versatile vehicle in the process.

The Subaru Baja, the Ridgeline, the Santa Cruz can't do that. They never could. They were always alternative takes on trucks or SUV's with a bed, based on price and economy. But this thing doesn't sacrifice on price or EPA, which makes it incredible imo.

You hit it. If you think about it, Maverick is actually a totally rational name for this car even if the form of the vehicle is totally different.

I haven't seen it posted here, so here's your base Maverick resplendent with stamped steel wheels.

vehicle.jpg

In some ways, I prefer this to the higher trim levels. It just looks so purposeful with the fat sidewalls and simple wheels. I really hope Ford went the distance on making these things durable and reliable....they could become as ubiquitous as the Transit Connect. I think I'm leaning towards preferring this concept over the Santa Cruz which is a lot more consumer grade. The little Maverick is way more charming - in fact I think it's one of the most charming new vehicles in years - like a yellow lab or a Timex weekender watch. I have room for a second vehicle now, and I'm struggling to think of a better compliment to my Boxster than this. 40mpg. $19k. Bike & Home Depot hauling. Camping. Gah, this thing just seems like a slam dunk. Please don't screw this up Ford.

I agree with this guy, The base model looks like a TRUCK.

Ford really did a number on that Hundai Santa Cruz. Which they deserve. If you put out concept photos 2-3yrs in advance then expect to get pants'ed by companies who are more... dynamic.

I do have a few reservations about the FOrd though.

1. I do get the idea behind a base hybrid but I still dont trust that stuff. I would prefer if they have a base base base model with a 6 spd automatic torque converter FWD w/ say an honest 2.5 litre n/a four cyl. I dont believe in any hybrid stuff for long term except for Toyota Prius.

2. I do get that the ecoboost 4wd model is only turbo 4 and not hybrid. I get it. People dont need 4wd. But I get that some people who live in cold snow etc. might want it and baulk at the price.

3. The price is beaten by Thai built real full frame diesel trucks where available.

But congrats to Ford for building what is a mini Ranger and making other faux pickups look decidely old hat.

I haven't seen it posted here, so here's your base Maverick resplendent with stamped steel wheels.

vehicle.jpg

In some ways, I prefer this to the higher trim levels. It just looks so purposeful with the fat sidewalls and simple wheels. I really hope Ford went the distance on making these things durable and reliable....they could become as ubiquitous as the Transit Connect. I think I'm leaning towards preferring this concept over the Santa Cruz which is a lot more consumer grade. The little Maverick is way more charming - in fact I think it's one of the most charming new vehicles in years - like a yellow lab or a Timex weekender watch. I have room for a second vehicle now, and I'm struggling to think of a better compliment to my Boxster than this. 40mpg. $19k. Bike & Home Depot hauling. Camping. Gah, this thing just seems like a slam dunk. Please don't screw this up Ford.

If the Maverick follows along with Ranger and F-150 (and given it's use of the truck trim nomenclature I expect it to) the XL should eventually get some kind of appearance option package to spruce it up while keeping it on a budget. The Ranger and F-150 both get Sport and Chrome packages. I could see the Maverick easily getting the Sport package at least.

But they'll likely hold off for a model year or two so while initial interest fuels sales.

The XLT starting at $23k isn't bad at all though.

I'd personally want a power seat if I get one, as it's the one thing I'm missing in my Tacoma that I really want.

My only gripe with the Maverick is the CVT. I don't think these trucks are powerful enough to strain it, but that's my major concern. The 2.5 I4 and Hybrid system will likely be bullet proof, hopefully.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion Ford will do an obvious thing and turn it into an SUV like the Ford Ranger/Ford Everest thing.

I also think they will dumb it down with a cheap completely non hybrid FWD gasoline model... especially for 'emergering markets'.

I to do not like CVTs however they are cheap and strong enough compared to conventional autos.

In another ad, I noticed that Ford is estimating the highway economy of the Hybrid to be 33mpg and the combined to be 37. That's actually better than I expected...this thing must be fairly aerodynamic for a pickup.

In another ad, I noticed that Ford is estimating the highway economy of the Hybrid to be 33mpg and the combined to be 37. That's actually better than I expected...this thing must be fairly aerodynamic for a pickup.
It wouldn't be much less aerodynamic than the Escape. The frontal areas are basically the same and the trailing edges of the greenhouse and the bed spoiler are designed to mimic a coupe's aero profile. All pickups do that these days, but increasing frontal areas and under-designed underbodies prevent any meaningful mpg gains.

I didnt read the spec clearly enough. If you're not convinced of the hybrid power you can opt for a 2.0 ecoboost four w/ conventional auto trans in FWD only.

This sounds ok if you're concerned about longevity but Ford autos are a concern too. Also given lower takeup I guess good luck trying to get one.

Some pictures of a base model Maverick out in the wild.

I have to say, this little trucklet looks great on the standard steel wheels - even the base interior looks great. Fingers crossed Ford did their homework on this car, I think it could be a real hit. I'm strongly considering one myself.

It still blows my mind how they've gotten it so cheap. I can imagine a few things, firstly that they've planned for massive sales volume (kind of hard to imagine a trucklet selling at Accord/Civic numbers), or that they're betting basically nobody will buy the base model so they can "offer" it super cheap (but even the Lariat starts at under $27k), or that the interior and materials choices in general are really crappy, like economy car crappy. I mean hell, I'm shopping for a 3-year old Hyundai that is $16k-$18k and this thing brand new is only $21k? Get outta here.

That said, I just configured a Lariat FX4 with the best options up to $38k and it wasn't maxed out yet. That's where they get ya - they probably know that a ton of people are going to want AWD which instantly forces the Ecoboost engine and takes the XL's base price up to nearly $25k.

Last edited:
I really wish Ford would offer a Raptor-esque offroad package in North America on a truck that doesn't cost 70k+...

Back