Forza Horizon 4 Reaches End of the Road: Will Be Delisted December 15, 2024

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 15 comments
This isn't the end for us fans. I will probably keep playing FH4 alongside FH5 until FH6 turns up... 2 Forza Horizons to dabble in every now and then is fun.

Seems a new fade to delist games now?
Another kinda scummy way to make you buy new games perhaps? Or a license thing too maybe.

I wish they notify us better, like for grid or f1 2020 etc.
I missed getting f1 2020.

Seems a new fade to delist games now?
Another kinda scummy way to make you buy new games perhaps? Or a license thing too maybe.

I wish they notify us better, like for grid or f1 2020 etc.
I missed getting f1 2020.
In every communication they stated that they have to delist it on digital stores due to licenses. As do other racing games (e.g. GT Sport was delisted not too long ago, older Forzas all delisted x years after release for the same reason).

In every communication they stated that they have to delist it on digital stores due to licenses. As do other racing games (e.g. GT Sport was delisted not too long ago, older Forzas all delisted x years after release for the same reason).
I see, maybe i hadn't noticed before much, or it's a new thing, maybe ips now are by year cost more, or publishers are dealing to pay less for non permanent license. I dont know.

Never did notice f1 2020 being delisted though.

FH4 is 80% of atm in the Microsoft Store. 14€ for the standard edition, 20€ for the ultimate edition. I have some questions:

- As i never played much FH (tried 3 and a month of 5 in the 1-month gamepass) i have no real clue what i will get for my money. Is there a lot to do even if there are no weekly/temporary events any more and will this sustain after the deslisting?

- what are in your eyes the bad things in comparison to FH5 (playing on PC with a Dualsense if possible, if not i have an old XBox Controller somewhere). I guess that the UK-map is somthing fresh for me as a plus.

- do i really need the ultimate edition if i don't like unrealistic DLCs? I guess even the VIP-Pass isn't that important if i don't chase a big car collection...?

Thank you!

I see, maybe i hadn't noticed before much, or it's a new thing, maybe ips now are by year cost more, or publishers are dealing to pay less for non permanent license. I dont know.

Never did notice f1 2020 being delisted though.
It's not a new thing, licensing deals have always been per-game and for a short term, usually for as long as the game is expected to be sold as new on store shelves I reckon. Game studios aren't likely to ever have a permanent license for content like this, because carmakers obviously want to retain control over where and how their products are represented. It's just not really been an issue for the consumer in the past because games being released on physical media meant you didn't have to worry about every copy suddenly becoming unavailable after a certain date.

Licensing deals probably do cost a fair amount more than they used to, but that's likely due to digital distribution meaning games are available for many years longer as "new", since you can't really buy a pre-owned download.

FH4 is 80% of atm in the Microsoft Store. 14€ for the standard edition, 20€ for the ultimate edition. I have some questions:

- As i never played much FH (tried 3 and a month of 5 in the 1-month gamepass) i have no real clue what i will get for my money. Is there a lot to do even if there are no weekly/temporary events any more and will this sustain after the deslisting?

- what are in your eyes the bad things in comparison to FH5 (playing on PC with a Dualsense if possible, if not i have an old XBox Controller somewhere). I guess that the UK-map is somthing fresh for me as a plus.

- do i really need the ultimate edition if i don't like unrealistic DLCs? I guess even the VIP-Pass isn't that important if i don't chase a big car collection...?

Thank you!

There's a whole game's worth of content in there, all of the races and other events, with progression trees for each major event type. The seasonal events were generally just minor objectives and little 3-race series consisting of existing events but with a specific restriction on the type of car used (that's why so many people burn out on them - there's fundamentally nothing new in them). I believe those seasonals will still keep going in some form, but they'll be somewhat randomised or recycled rather than manually curated. The delisting won't include shutting down the online services either, so the multiplayer will still work too, along with the race creator and all of the player-made events built with it.

Compared to FH5, for me at least the map in FH4 is a lot better, with twistier roads and more scenery. The driving physics are a bit different, with older cars having more body roll in FH5 and ultra-high-performance cars being a bit less twitchy in FH5. Some of the engine sounds are better, some are worse (like the infamous FH4 Viper sound), and the menus in FH4 are not quite as smooth to navigate, but that's about it, they're very similar games.

In terms of the editions, I'd probably recommend at least Deluxe with the Car Pass included, as it adds 42 cars with a lot of interesting and UK-appropriate choices like the Hillman Imp and Triumph TR6. If the Ultimate edition is only a few Euros more then I'd most likely choose that one, as it's now the only place to get the James Bond pack which includes cars like the Lotus Esprit S1, and the expansions have some fun car choices too like a Funco sandrail. Fortune Island isn't particularly unrealistic outside of the idea of someone taking the time to maintain such nice roads on a tiny island off the coast of Scotland, but the Lego expansion is a lot less serious. Even then though, most of the expansion still lets you freely choose your car rather than forcing Lego cars, so if you can put up with the trees being made of plastic it's another few hours of extra race events.

If you wait till later today, it will be clearer what the game is going to look like after the final playlist ends at 15:30 UK time.

I don't know if you can use a Dualsense with the MS Store version. I use a PS5 controller, but via Steam's translation layer.

For my tastes, almost everything about FH4 is better than FH5. An exception is that the graphics in FH5 are noticeably better, with better anti-aliasing. Plus FH5 now has a lot of cars that aren't in FH4, and is still getting new cars, which will presumably continue till FH6 arrives. But I regard the map, track designs, and seasonal variations in FH4 as far superior to FH5. It's a shame, because they could have continued the two games in parallel, like Age of Empires 2 and 4, and given FH4 the better anti-aliasing plus DLSS etc, and added every new car to FH4 as well as FH5, but they didn't do that.

I would personally pay the extra for the ultimate edition. The Lego DLC is actually really good with some excellent track design. Yes it's a Lego environment, but it's like a 9/10 for me vs maybe 3/10 for FH5's Hot Wheels. Fortune Island is also excellent, at least as good as Rally Adventure in FH5, maybe better, like 9/10 vs 7.5/10. And you get a lot of cars to help you get started, as you'll get all the car pass cars, and you'll get 2 free super wheelspins per week and more credits. I personally made the decision a long time ago to never buy a Forza game unless I'm willing to buy the ultimate edition, as my experience is it's just really annoying to not have it.

If you wait till later today, it will be clearer what the game is going to look like after the final playlist ends at 15:30 UK time.

I don't know if you can use a Dualsense with the MS Store version. I use a PS5 controller, but via Steam's translation layer.

For my tastes, almost everything about FH4 is better than FH5. An exception is that the graphics in FH5 are noticeably better, with better anti-aliasing. Plus FH5 now has a lot of cars that aren't in FH4, and is still getting new cars, which will presumably continue till FH6 arrives. But I regard the map, track designs, and seasonal variations in FH4 as far superior to FH5. It's a shame, because they could have continued the two games in parallel, like Age of Empires 2 and 4, and given FH4 the better anti-aliasing plus DLSS etc, and added every new car to FH4 as well as FH5, but they didn't do that.

I would personally pay the extra for the ultimate edition. The Lego DLC is actually really good with some excellent track design. Yes it's a Lego environment, but it's like a 9/10 for me vs maybe 3/10 for FH5's Hot Wheels. Fortune Island is also excellent, at least as good as Rally Adventure in FH5, maybe better, like 9/10 vs 7.5/10. And you get a lot of cars to help you get started, as you'll get all the car pass cars, and you'll get 2 free super wheelspins per week and more credits. I personally made the decision a long time ago to never buy a Forza game unless I'm willing to buy the ultimate edition, as my experience is it's just really annoying to not have it.
Now that the final playlist has finished, I will add to this that:
1) There is now a "Summer" monthly rivals race, which suggests these might change every week (could just be one a month though). Plus all circuits and races in the game have "Rival" time trial leaderboards.
2) There is a weekly Forzathon, which will provide something varied to do each week (see screenshot below). This gets you Forzathon points which you can spend in the shop. The shop now includes the ability to buy one "Backstage Pass" each week.
3) The player created "Blueprint Events" are still available - lots of variety in these.
3) Aside from a few cars linked to specific game modes (2 are exclusive to the Eliminator mode for example), all cars added via previous weekly playlists are now available to purchase via Backstage Pass. There are 148 cars in the Backstage Pass list (I just counted them) which means a new player needs (148/52) just under 3 years as a minimum to acquire them all...

20240822_204343.jpg
20240822_201903.jpg
20240822_204605.jpg

20240822_204005.jpg

20240822_204208.jpg

Last edited:
There are 148 cars in the Backstage Pass list (I just counted them) which means a new player needs (148/52) just under 3 years as a minimum to acquire them all...
I think there may well still be exclusive cars available as rewards for individual seasonal events, but the UI now makes it really hard to see when something good is available that way. For a new player who doesn't have free fast travel, the new UI is absolutely terrible.

Having reviewed the entire list, it looks like I'll end up 2 cars short of completion:
  • The 911 GT3 RS Preorder car is a reward for winning eliminator so I won't get that
  • The Ford Capri Forza Edition is a reward for completing all Star Cards, so I will never get that either
Ah well, not bad. I can live with that.

Having reviewed the entire list, it looks like I'll end up 2 cars short of completion:
  • The 911 GT3 RS Preorder car is a reward for winning eliminator so I won't get that
  • The Ford Capri Forza Edition is a reward for completing all Star Cards, so I will never get that either
Ah well, not bad. I can live with that.
The 911 Preorder Car is also obtainable as a levelling up reward on the Eliminator, along with the Mercury Cougar. These are the 2 cars I will not obtain. 750/752 is pretty good though 👍

I found the Mercury Cougar on the AH at one point, so I thankfully already have that. But like you I'll end up with 750/752 (also with 2 barn find duplicates from the stories which I can't delete).

Back