Fox bites off baby's finger

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 31 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
Fox bites off baby's finger

A fox left a one-month-old baby boy with a serious hand injury after creeping into his bedroom and dragging him from his cot.

Police said they were investigating the incident in Bromley, south east London, in which the animal tore the infant's finger off.

The child's screams alerted his mother, who rushed to his room to see his hand lodged "halfway down the animal's throat", according to the Mail on Sunday. She is said to have kicked the fox until it let go.

Surgeons managed to reattach the finger in an "extremely difficult" three-hour operation, the newspaper reported. The child, who also suffered puncture wounds to his face, was said to be recovering well.

The attack happened after the fox entered the house through an open back door, which was apparently awaiting repair by the council.

A Metropolitan police spokesman said: "We were called at 16.38 on Wednesday 6 February by staff at St Thomas's hospital to reports a baby boy who had been admitted to hospital after being attacked by a fox.

"Police attended to find a four-week-old baby with a hand injury. The baby was admitted to hospital after the attack at its home address in Bromley."

An RSPCA spokeswoman said the only reason a fox would attack is due to fear. She added: "It's extremely unusual for foxes to attack young children or anyone.

"It's not typical fox behaviour at all. Foxes will come closer to a house if there are food sources. Then they can become quite bold, but they usually do back off and run away when there's people around."

Fox bites off baby's finger | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Nope, Vulpes Vulpes

Besides I have my suspensions on the whole the fox did it.

For starters how did this fox open the door?
Did it do it like the raptors in Jurassic park?

Who has the responsibility to keep their house secured.
A thief could have easily entered and kidnapped the kid.

I think it may have been the family dog.

And here I was expecting it to be a story about Fox News. Too bad. Could've sued for millions.

Kill all foxes, they are a huge danger for our CHILDREN! Someone must protect the CHILDREN from the evil world!

Surprising if true.

What I don't like is the way it sounds as if someone's trying to shift the blame to the council for not fixing the door.

I was trying to comprehend how this could even happen and I gave up. I cant stand if a fly gets into my house. But a fox? Then for it to drag the child out of the house? Go home drunk parents you are drunk?? *scratches head in confusion and leaves thread*.

All that fuzz about a hungry fox. The only fox I've ever seen in my life was the roadkill version of a fox.

The only fair justice is too seek out that fox and have the child bite off it's paw.

Of course this may take a few years until the child has strong enough teeth to do it.

Just picture it:

Bill O'Reilly with a bloody child's finger hanging from his mouth.

How did a fox get into their house in the first place?

You can't explain that. :P

All that fuzz about a hungry fox. The only fox I've ever seen in my life was the roadkill version of a fox.

Maybe where you live, over here they're ubiqitous. I see at least one a week. A live one, that is.

Cat flap.

Of course, this wouldn't happen if we were still allowed to hunt foxes.

But we have to protect the poor, innocent sweet little creatures. It must be the family dogs fault, the parents fault, everyone but a foxes fault! I expect the parents chewed off the finger themselves!

Last edited:
I figured that NewCorp would be angry about losing the Dodgers to Time Warner Cable, but come on... not the kids...

Of course, this wouldn't happen if we were still allowed to hunt foxes.

Would hunting foxes cut down on urban fox incidents though?

I mean, hunting urban ones probably would, but then that'd probably require simply a guy with a gun or something, which takes away the whole "fun for pricks in red coats with dogs" aspect, which is the real reason people hunt and very little to do with keeping populations down.

But we have to protect the poor, innocent sweet little creatures. It must be the family dogs fault, the parents fault, everyone but a foxes fault! I expect the parents chewed off the finger themselves!

Actually, mostly it is. Well over 6,000 per year. Yet nobody bats an eyelid unless it's a chav's bull terrier biting a baby's face off.

I'm not going to jump on the whole cuddly-fox band-wagon but foxes are a drop in the ocean compared to dog bites. And just as with dogs, we're dealing with animals not conscious of the results of the action. So just like dogs, this instance was probably the responsibility of the parents to make sure their freaking back door wasn't open, council repair or not, allowing wild animals to get into the house.

Not so much fox hunt as witch hunt, the fuss over this incident.

Would hunting foxes cut down on urban fox incidents though?

I mean, hunting urban ones probably would, but then that'd probably require simply a guy with a gun or something
We're not allowed those either... :D

We're not allowed those either... :D

:lol: I actually don't know how city pests are dealt with. Assumed it was a BB gun sniper for things like pigeons and rats. Presume foxes are simply caught and put down, though I don't even know if they bother catching city foxes.

Latest Posts

Back