Funny Pic Thread VII - No swearing. No sex. No complaining. (READ FIRST POST)

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 49,586 comments
corpo.png

Electrical cords aren't rated to be run through sofas. You'd need to investigate how to get that up to fire code to avoid liability. Likely some kind of conduit.
Interesting, yes. Perhaps run it through some PVC pipe? I still think its a cool idea though!

Jerome

Interesting, yes. Perhaps run it through some PVC pipe? I still think its a cool idea though!

Jerome

I think some PVC electrical conduit is rated for use behind drywall, but I was thinking of something beefier. Not sure what would be needed for a couch.

Types-of-ElectricalConduit.png

Looking at that pic again, the box is an issue. They put a normal coverplate on what is likely exposed wire in a hole that is too shallow for a standard electrical box. You'd definitely need a proper electrical box (not sure what sizes they come in).

Last edited:
Electrical cords aren't rated to be run through sofas. You'd need to investigate how to get that up to fire code to avoid liability. Likely some kind of conduit.
It seems super unnecessary anyway, the way phone batteries last. Only on rare high use days do I feel like I need to plug mine in. I've forgotten to plug in the night before a meeting day and still managed to use it as needed before plugging in when I got home.

Also how deep is that sofa? A 6 foot charging cable from the wall seems pretty easy.

Electrical cords aren't rated to be run through sofas.
You can certainly get it as electric recliners are a thing, but as I recall they're stepped down to 12/24V through an external transformer before entry. A USB should only need 5V, I think, so if you could do that you'd probably be good.

Although it may depend on European furniture fire safety regulations vs US ones. You can barely get a sofa to go up if you stick it on a bonfire here.

It seems super unnecessary anyway, the way phone batteries last. Only on rare high use days do I feel like I need to plug mine in. I've forgotten to plug in the night before a meeting day and still managed to use it as needed before plugging in when I got home.

Also how deep is that sofa? A 6 foot charging cable from the wall seems pretty easy.

Low voltage USB wiring would be safer and easier all around. If you don't need an actual outlet, usb jacks would be the way to go.

Edit: Somewhat tree'd by famine.

Last edited:
Back