G27 reducing noise and dead zone mod

• Thread starter Igano
  • 19 comments
Greece
Patra, Greece
I came across this on the interwebs and I can say that I am very intrigued. Has any one tried this and can post results? My G27 does this weird noise when hitting curbs on AC and any dead zone I can eliminate is allways welcome. I don't care about warranty much since it's expired already and I would love to see how much it can improve things up.

https://plus.google.com/photos/113839068734380231178/albums/5691461502139407841

Last edited:
Yea, I have done this mod 4-5 months ago and my G27 feels much better and the ffb is stronger too! I also oiled the gears with an oil of good quality and this helped too!

Excellent! Can you write the steps or point to a detailed analysis on how to do this? I will use the pictures too but the more help, the better!

Thanks for this. From my understanding according to this picture, I need to add 2 bolts in the red arrows?

G27_13.jpg

At least that is what I could make of the first link and the second. But I would like some info if that is correct and what type of bolts I need?

I'd also like to know what kind/size of bolts are put there.

Someone from RD also performed this but he said he just put nuts. I'll have to ask him what kind.

I got plenty of bolts but I am not planning to seal the box in the same day. I want to study it first because there are some parameters I need to look at.

Last edited:
I see. I, OTOH, want to be prepared as I wouldn't want to be drive-less for a number of days :)

Will wait for your update. Good luck!

Hey @Igano, FWIW, I just wanted to share some information I got after reading the comments in Pietro's 2 youtube videos. One, he used a bolt screw in place of the original spring to block & eliminate the axial movement of the motor shaft, thus reducing noise. There were some comments though (from those who claim having experience w/ motors) and say that this shaft movement is normal and should be allowed, OR ELSE the motor will work too hard (and cause more heat), thereby increasing the risks of the motor break sooner.

Other users OTOH just put a nut below the springs, w/c just lessens (not totally eliminate) the shaft's movement and the noise as well. Perhaps this might be a compromise solution (probably w/ lesser harm), as you still retain the spring to still allow some shaft axial movement.

Yes that was my concern. The person I found who has done it chose method b. I am afraid Pietro's method might put increased strain in the motor.There is supposed to be some "play" in the spring in order to absorb. If you remove it completely this will return to the motor I guess? That was one of the things I needed to think of before going for it.

If you go w/ option B, can you advise the size/width/height of the nut? Want to open it up only with the right nut on hand. Pls share your comments as well on how much noise is reduced, to see if it's worth doing it.

A note on removing end play from a brushed DC electric motor: be careful! These are low cost motors and often have very different static and dynamic magnetic fields. You have to consider the difference between the static and dynamic fields and allow axial movement to compensate, or else the intended improvement (by taking up the axial play) will end up being absorbed in increased thrust friction by the necessary axial movement by the dynamic magnetic field.

As a test: with the gears off the motor, run a 5-6 volts through it. If you see the shaft move axially as you apply and remove the voltage, this is the amount of movement you need to leave in the system, or increased friction will be the result.

So ideally, this amount would dictate the maximum amount of compression on the spring (and hence the appropriate nut height that shouldn't allow compression to exceed this amount). Wonder if someone has measured this amount. Mostly I guess were purely by estimate, just to slightly compress the spring.

The author who used the bolt though totally removed the spring and just used a fixed bolt. But I believe he already sold his G27 too.

What are the chances of this botching up the g27?

And varied results for everybody?

It seems like everyone is doing their own thing/using their own bolt sizes.

One guy I know has not had a problem with method b and the wheel has been running for months. But the mod only reduced a big chunk of noise.

Back