Genuine question re updates

• Thread starter Oi Oi JC
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Why is it that when all other ps games update we can play them as soon as the update has been downloaded & installed but with GT we have to wait until PD finish a 'server update'?
I've downloaded & installed the latest update but I'm unable to play until the games is back online.

If the game requires online servers, the servers may need updates just as the client (console) does.
How these updates are applied is all up to the company running them.

I'm not really sure. RuneScape, an MMO with a mandatory connection, generally goes down for about a minute or two for updates. They've done this since at least the mid 2000s, not sure how fast the updates were back in 2001 though.

So why does a singleplayer game need 2+ hours before it's playable again? Who knows.

Always-online nonsense. Tying single player to the online portion is a scummy thing to do, but that's how GT7 works, I guess.

I'm not really sure. RuneScape, an MMO with a mandatory connection, generally goes down for about a minute or two for updates. They've done this since at least the mid 2000s, not sure how fast the updates were back in 2001 though.

So why does a singleplayer game need 2+ hours before it's playable again? Who knows.
If you have more capacity than required to meet all players online, you can certainly update servers in advance.
Just a possible solution to the "how do others" question.
This is something even New World was struggeling with (Amazon should have had enough money to prevent any server shortage, but what do we know).

If you have more capacity than required to meet all players online, you can certainly update servers in advance.
Just a possible solution to the "how do others" question.
This is something even New World was struggeling with (Amazon should have had enough money to prevent any server shortage, but what do we know).
RuneScape isn't exactly known for its advanced servers (just ask any player). They just go down, then reopen a couple minutes later after the update.

I understand needing more time than a RuneScape update, sure. But 2 hours seems like a lot, especially for singleplayer.

Careful, the fanboys throw poo at you around here for such blasphemous questions…
You really didn't understand ANYTHING... it's not about fanboy or anything like that... it's about the way AND that there are such stupid questions and heaps of the same comments over and over again every patch day.

And just if it calms you down... yeah it's kind of nonsensical, but PD chose this path...UNFORTUNATELY...but we knew it would be like this because it was known long before! And that's what some, including me, just get on my nerves... when someone keeps coming and complaining about how unfair and bad it all is, as if it were completely new.
It is what it is.... and as a former WoW player, I know such days.. and we had to endure a lot more "sorrow" than these short server down times here.

and as a former WoW player, I know such days.. and we had to endure a lot more "sorrow" than these short server down times here.
You mean like "server notification: please log out now, after your next login all changes will be applied" leading to "place in queue 10.000, estimated time 5 hours".

You mean like "server notification: please log out now, after your next login all changes will be applied" leading to "place in queue 10.000, estimated time 5 hours".
I don't know how it's been going for the past few years, but in my day (I've been there from the start)... there wasn't even a queue.

You really didn't understand ANYTHING... it's not about fanboy or anything like that... it's about the way AND that there are such stupid questions and heaps of the same comments over and over again every patch day.

And just if it calms you down... yeah it's kind of nonsensical, but PD chose this path...UNFORTUNATELY...but we knew it would be like this because it was known long before! And that's what some, including me, just get on my nerves... when someone keeps coming and complaining about how unfair and bad it all is, as if it were completely new.
It is what it is.... and as a former WoW player, I know such days.. and we had to endure a lot more "sorrow" than these short server down times here.
Fair enough, and I’m sorry I’m not aware of all that history. When 5+ people start in at me, I think defense is a natural response.

I tried to throw in a joke or two, but that didn’t work.

I am a paying customer. You are a paying customer. We all have a vested interest in what we paid for. Sometimes, those interests may not align.

I’m choosing to ignore everything that was said during the time it took me to compose myself and my words in a way that was respectful and tolerant of a different point of view.

Happy racing folks.

Well it wasn't even worth the wait was it? ☹️
1 new track, 1 new car & 3 crappy menu books that were already completed for me.
I dont expect any change to this schedule happening. GT7 has hit the wall head on in my opinion, as much as I liked it before, my low motivation has left me not starting it for quite some time now.

Latest Posts

Back