Getting a new PS3, need help with save file transfer.

Ok, so long story short, blu-ray drive died on the fat ps3 a few weeks ago, my thread can be found here. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141950

So upon review of the save file, I would like to keep my 320gb drive in my other PS3, now.... note, the original PS3's save file doesn't have the update to make it movable yet (since it my blu-ray drive died before the new update to unlock the protection on the save files), so when you do a complete system backup and transfer it from one PS3 to the next, can it do that with GT5s save file not having the update? and if so, is there a way to get it back on my new PS3? and have the old hard drive put back in ? if at all possible I was hoping to spend the least and get the lower model slim for 299.99, do a system backup and transfer all the files via ethernet cable to the new PS3, install GT5, update it, with the new save file, put it on a flash drive, put the old hard drive back into the PS3 (the 320gb) formatted, re install the game, and put my save file back on. Will that work? please, any guru on this would be great, I'm going to pick it up in about 8 hours or so, will check this thread when I get up, thanks in advance!

guess posting that so early in the morning doesn't help, leaving in about an hour to go get it, anyone else able to chime somethin in for me?

Yeah that should work. PS3 to PS3 data transfer via ethernet cable includes protected saves so you're safe there. Update the game on the new HDD, put your save file somewhere secure, swap the HDDs and you're done.

In fact doing the backup to swap HDDs also includes protected data if it's the same PS3, so you don't really need to store your save file separately, but better safe than sorry. Just make sure you're using the same PSN ID which I'm sure you were planning to anyway.

Latest Posts

Back