GGG: Round 16 - Mini Cooper

• Thread starter buickgnx88
  • 22 comments

Which is your favorite generation of the Mini Cooper?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buickgnx88

That Guy Over There
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
The Mini Cooper was a model that fell under a few different marques over the years, with the most recent the brand being MINI and built under BMW. The have been seven acknowledged generations to date, 4 of the original car and 3 of the current iteration. Which generation of this mini compact is your favorite?

Mark I
1964-morris-mini-cooper-0.jpg

Mark II
Mini_Mark_II_Cars_f8501855-160f-4940-b30e-9f0773c8309e.JPG

Mark III
4879747380_a76f786c92_b.jpg

Mark IV
13976453798_7421c6b297_b.jpg

R50/53
R50.jpg

R56
MINI~Cooper~(14).jpg

F56
DSC_0386.jpg

Went with the MkIV as well. It's the best-looking iteration of the original concept while still adhereing to it.

The BMW Maxis on the other hand just plain suck, I can't stand them. They'd be a decent car if they weren't attached to that nameplate.

I love the classics of course, but the R56 holds a special place in my heart since I really liked mine and do miss it. Shame BMW contracted such crap transmissions for them.

Okay, I'm a bit of an arsehole for saying this, but the picture of the Mk3 Mini is actually a Mk1 Mini, and the Mk4 picture is in fact a Mk6. Not to mention that there was no Mk4 Cooper and the cars were just called Minis during that time.

Anyway, the obvious choice for me is the Mk1, there's just that much history behind it. Besides, it has the best looking grille.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm a bit a arsehole for saying this, but the picture of the Mk3 Mini is actually a Mk1 Mini, and the Mk4 picture is in fact a Mk6. Not to mention that there was no Mk4 Cooper and the cars were just called Minis during that time.

Anyway, the obvious choice for me is the Mk1, there's just that much history behind it. Besides, it has the best looking grille.

I went with the mk iv based on pics and so forth, if I was to really think hard about it I would say easily that whatever one was 1963 or 1964 in rally trim is the one, I guess that is a ii or iii? Doesn't really matter that much but I'm glad you brought it up.

1024px-Mini_Cooper_S_1963.jpg

The mk4 has the full Halfords treatment :lol:

Mk1... so simple, so pretty. With a 1071, please.

The Monte Carlo winning cars were all Mk1s. The Mk2 came out after their last win in 1967. That said, they did attend the rally with Mk2s in 1968, but the best Mini that time around was only 3rd.

You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between a MkI and a MkII. The others up to the R50 are also almost identical apart from a few slight detail changes.

Door hinges are a great way to tell the 60s cars from the later models. On Mk1 and Mk2 you can see them from the outside, the later models have them hidden in the body.

Don't care much for any of the standard Minis, old or new. But the Mk1 is something I can acknowledge as being BMC's original automotive wonder. Also spawned the most desirable S to date.

Lucky enough to have driven a 1964 Mk1 Cooper, albeit briefly. Went with that, for the purest driving experience. Driven a couple of other original Minis and they've always brought a smile to my face.

First of the BMW Minis is also the purest driving experience (and the only one of the later cars that's been styled properly).

If you want to buy me any Mini, I'll have a red Mk.3 Cooper S.
Internal door hinges, wind down/up windows & clean grille design.

If I had to choose one of the BMW variants, R56 for me thanks.
Turbo instead of Supercharger & not a bloated mess like the current model. IMO, the 4-door is the work of the devil :yuck:

Can't pick between the original minis, although the original Clubman should really be making an appearance here too (after all it was supposed to replace the classic shape).

280px-Mini_Clubman_1980.JPG

BMW Minis are the antithesis of the original, huge on the outside yet very cramped inside. The R50 is the best of those, the newest model looks like the chinese knockoff that Top Gear said about a few years back.

Latest Posts

Back