Go to reverse: What is best: Gear shifter or button?

• Thread starter Trk-el-son
  • 15 comments
Denmark
Denmark
So, I have just set up my new wheel/pedals set. I will use this transition from controller to wheel to learn MT (have only done it ocationally on controller).
And the question arises: How do most people go to reverse? I assume, using the downshift lever, but perhaps there could be an advantage of using a mapped button? So, best practice?

Thanks!

If you're in first gear, you're probably better off just using the downshift paddle. Even if you're in 2nd, two quick clicks does the job. Any higher gear though, and as mentioned here it's handy to have a button mapped for instant reverse.

I'd advise setting reverse into a button. It should be Triangle by default.

The reason I say this is because if your shifter paddles are wheel–mounted, the paddles can get swapped around if you go into a spin and your wheel turns a full 180 degrees. There's no quick way to know which paddle is which, and the Triangle button is much more intuitive.

The reason I say this is because if your shifter paddles are wheel–mounted, the paddles can get swapped around if you go into a spin and your wheel turns a full 180 degrees. There's no quick way to know which paddle is which, and the Triangle button is much more intuitive.
Excellent point mate. :cheers:

I'd advise setting reverse into a button. It should be Triangle by default.

After one day of wheel driving (and learning MT), I would say that clearly the thing I am worst at, is accident recovery, in particular if I have to reverse. But maybe the trick is never let go of the wheel? If I have let go of the wheel, I do find myself struggling a lot to re-assume my correct driving grip. I will see if I can manage never letting go. (I keep FF on the light side, so it should be doable.)

I think my brain might find it simpler to know that EVERY gear shift is in the paddles, but on the other hand it also makes sense to use a button that always only need one push for reverse.

Excellent point mate. :cheers:
If only I didn't form those points from painful personal experiences :lol:
After one day of wheel driving (and learning MT), I would say that clearly the thing I am worst at, is accident recovery, in particular if I have to reverse. But maybe the trick is never let go of the wheel? If I have let go of the wheel, I do find myself struggling a lot to re-assume my correct driving grip. I will see if I can manage never letting go. (I keep FF on the light side, so it should be doable.)

I think my brain might find it simpler to know that EVERY gear shift is in the paddles, but on the other hand it also makes sense to use a button that always only need one push for reverse.
Ultimately, there's no "correct" answer. Whatever feels most comfortable to you is best.

That said, if you ever do venture out of driving FF cars, you'll most likely end up needing to let go of the wheel for big counter steer manoeuvres. Hard to keep the same grip on the wheel when you need to turn the wheel more than 180 degrees. It's also really useful for IRL driving when it comes time to park. Overall, I'd say getting used to letting go of the wheel is a skill worth learning; going into reverse takes less priority than that IMO.

You might also want to consider getting used to driving with a wheel first, then going to MT. As I see it right now, you're trying to make two big transitions in one step, which is often inadvisable.

I choose not to map any buttons for reverse as I can access it easily by shifting down past 1st gear. My reasoning is that I have a limited number of buttons to map functions to, and that in the event that I end up needing to reverse then that would mean I am now in a situation where the time lost from shifting down into reverse is negligible in comparison to whatever caused me to face the wrong way.

You still have to know where in space the button is compared to either hand, and it's a smaller target to hit.

Personally, since my TH8A is generally in H pattern, I find it's most reliable just to pull that into R whilst the wheel is spinning and self centering, knock it back to N on the way back to gripping the wheel. To be fair it helps that my shifter is mounted a short distance from the wheel.

You still have to know where in space the button is compared to either hand, and it's a smaller target to hit.

Personally, since my TH8A is generally in H pattern, I find it's most reliable just to pull that into R whilst the wheel is spinning and self centering, knock it back to N on the way back to gripping the wheel. To be fair it helps that my shifter is mounted a short distance from the wheel.
Yes, but because the face buttons and the D Pad aren't symmetrical to one another, it's easier to tell when my wheel is upside down. The paddles feel the exact same whatever wheel orientation. I'll often click in a few upshifts by mistake in a spin before I look down at my wheel. It's the same reason why I hate touchscreens in a car—it's way faster and less distracting to be able to feel out controls without having to look at them.

Also, I don't have a H–Pattern Shifter hooked up to my T300. As OP hasn't mentioned it either, I'm assuming they don't have that luxury as well.

Does the H–Pattern shifter work to put a car into reverse even if they don't have a H–Pattern IRL, like Gr.3 racecars and EVs?

Thanks for all the input! (And yes, H-pattern shifter is not on the horizon. Pretty sure I will never want anything but paddles.)
I tend to think now, that it is simpler for my brain to only rely on my paddle shifters, so I will go that route.
Regarding learning wheel, pedals AND manual transmission at the same time: Yeah it, is a mouthfull, but it already feels really good. Many years of IRL car driving probably helps in feeling comfortable with wheel and pedals, and I love using the paddle shifters (on Logi G Pro wheel, btw).

Bonus question: In real GT cars with paddles and sequential gearbox, is there a separate reverse button, or do they just shift down?

Bonus question: In real GT cars with paddles and sequential gearbox, is there a separate reverse button, or do they just shift down?
I think most modern race cars do a have button , like the Porsche 911 GT3 has a RVS button which basically works like in GT7 ha

Last edited:
Although I have T8 shifter I dod mapped button for reverse for „sequential” cars but always forget using it after crash. Somehow using paddles is my habit.

Latest Posts

Back