Good surround set for ps2 with gt4

• Thread starter Gt4racerS
  • 12 comments
Does anyone has a good suggestion for a good affordable 5.1 surround set that is compatible with the ps2. I'm looking in the price range from 100-200$.

I bought an Altec Lansing 5.1 set on ebay for around $100 (maybe a little less...but can't remember exactly). It's a decent set. My cockpit is a small enclosed space beneath my basement stairs so almost anything would probably sound good in that little hole. They are way better than the washed out sounding TV speakers.

Well, I look at it this way:
If you're gonna spend cash on a surround sound system, then just turn your tv all the way up, and pay for the electric bill & maybe some eardrum surgery-for they will be blown away by the uber-astronomical number of decibles eminating from your tv set.

I got a Onkyo system that works GREAT...however it would be pushing your limit near the upper echelon of the $200 budget...considering I got my system last year so it would be a used item for sell in most of todays retail outlets. (?)

So, I'd suggest you head down to your local electronics store and see what they have to offer in the way of systems in your price range...just make sure that if you find one that you like and is reasonably price, that it has an 'optical out'..as not all systems have that! (I had originally purchased a Sony system that was similiar to the system I have now and it did NOT have this!)

Good luck!

SimRaceDriver:

i live in holland, amsterdam, so i won't be able to order things at american sites, but i have searched a little bit for myself and I think I am going to buy the logitech z-5500 so i can also connect my dvd player and mp3 player. Does anyone has experience with this set?

I bought a sony 600 watt system over a year ago and its more than enough for a small to medium size room. It was $200 a year ago so im sure its only around $100-$150 now. You can get a really good system for less than $200.00. 👍
I run the optical cord to reduce any extra wires and it sounds a lot better.

Well i bought the logitech z-5500 and the sound is simply awesome and overwhelming, when you turn the volume halfway up the sound is so loud and nice :).
Even though the system set me back for about 330 Euros ( optical , coaxial cables etc. not included) it's worth every euro, this is a purchase i won't regret, 5.1 sound just adds so much to the overall race feel. And i can strongly advice everyone to invest in a 5.1 sound system if you are looking to give gt4 a new dimension.

by the way, my apologies for my broken english.

Well, i've got some creative p5800s (i think), and they're ok, ish. They're really meant for computer soundcards, so i had to modify them a bit. They're ok, but i wouldn't buy again if i had the chance.

i have a set of the logitech 5500. 5.1 500watt blah blah blah.... i read over a dozen reviews prior to purchasing this set for 230.. and its f'n horrible.. the sateliites suck.. teh center channels rated at like 160+ watts and its obviuosly teh weakest link of the bunch.. the sub is very monotone, and i still cannot get a true dolby logic 2 signal output from my spdif toslink cable in gt4... these speakers suck for music, they are just "ok" definetly not worth 200+ dollars and they are ashamed to bear the THX logo on them... i dunno what people have been smoking when they wrote their reviews... personally i only bought them w/o ever hearing them and i totaly regret it.. if i heard them first, this dilema would not be happening,, but i was stoopid enough to trust over 20+ different reviews on how outrageoulsy good this system is.. and they jsut plain suck.!!!!!

imo any good surround sound system is going to be at the very least 300. for your price range you are better off getting a htib and calling it a day. those computer 5.1 sets suck.

Latest Posts

Back