Got a 3.5mm male to female 3 meter extender

• Thread starter oohhh yeah
  • 8 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
oohhh8yeah
Hi guys,

So I got a 3.5mm male to female extension cable that is 3m long. I got it from china on ebay for a buck.

Fired up GT6, I don't know if I'm tricking myself but it seems the sound quality is a tiny bit worse....it's hard to tell though as it is so subtle, or I may just be imagining it. It sounds slightly quieter with the extension in, but I asked my mom and she says she can't hear a difference.

So will a 3.5mm extension cable cause sound quality loss? Does my one dollar cable from china have anything to do with it?

I am plugging the 3.5mm extension into the a 1/4 inch adapter that goes into the headphone jack on my Onkyo receiver.

So....would that type of signal be just a "work or not work" or the type of signal that material quality really matters?

What about using audio from RCA ps3? What type of signal also?

And is that the same thing as using the 3.5mm extension for to connect your headphones to your phone/laptop?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
If the cable is shielded it should not cause any problems. Not in quality nor volume loss. If it is shielded badly , a humming noise could appear or it could pick up interference from external devices etc...

On any analog cable the material quality can indeed affect the quality of the throughput.
Not so for digital transfers however; for those, it either works or it doesn't.

The above is not quite true digital to suffers if its long & poor quality cable.
3.5m though any old cable should do.
High quality short digital cables are a scam

Hi guys,

So I got a 3.5mm male to female extension cable that is 3m long. I got it from china on ebay for a buck.

Fired up GT6, I don't know if I'm tricking myself but it seems the sound quality is a tiny bit worse....it's hard to tell though as it is so subtle, or I may just be imagining it. It sounds slightly quieter with the extension in, but I asked my mom and she says she can't hear a difference.

So will a 3.5mm extension cable cause sound quality loss? Does my one dollar cable from china have anything to do with it?

Thanks guys
I just happen to have a 3m extension cable but there is no sound quality loss but mine cost I think around 30 dollars but if you buy a cheap one you will notice a different quality in sound but it would not be much.

The above is not quite true digital to suffers if its long & poor quality cable.
3.5m though any old cable should do.
High quality short digital cables are a scam

If the cable is shielded it should not cause any problems. Not in quality nor volume loss. If it is shielded badly , a humming noise could appear or it could pick up interference from external devices etc...

I just happen to have a 3m extension cable but there is no sound quality loss but mine cost I think around 30 dollars but if you buy a cheap one you will notice a different quality in sound but it would not be much.
On any analog cable the material quality can indeed affect the quality of the throughput.
Not so for digital transfers however; for those, it either works or it doesn't.
Ok I see.

I am plugging the 3.5mm extension into the a 1/4 inch adapter that goes into my Onkyo receiver.

So....would that type of signal be just a "work or not work" or the type of signal that material quality really matters?

What about using audio from RCA ps3? What type of signal also?

Not according to most tests, lengths up to 10' or 3.5m do not need expensive cable, only lengths over that do.

Not really sure why we are discussing it post said its hard to tell & most likely imagined so simple thing is live with it or spend the money to make yourself feel good & think its better.

Adding any length to audio/video cables generally will cause a loss of quality. Although for what your talking about you literally have to train your ear to notice such things. My pops is really into home audio. He has some crazy expensive cables. I'm talking like $2500 bucks for a meter of audio cable. It's insane. Power cable that have booster thingies in them. All sorts of crazy stuff. Anyway what are you running your audio out of? I was desperate one time and I got an adapter to plug in a set of headphones right into the red and white RCA outputs. I had no volume control and it didn't go nearly as loud as I wanted it. I since bought an Astro Mixamp and its stellar for first person shooters and even GT6. I can hear cars all around me it's great. With a wheel that has a clutch and a shifter you can put the shifter in any gear, press the clutch and hold the brakes and it will shut the engine off. If you do this at nurb it's really cool to listen to all the exhaust notes coming from around the track. You can hear all of it. Pretty awesome. Sorry for the rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back