• Thread starter McLaren
  • 20 comments

McLaren

Premium
United States
Texas
WOW!
What a freaking joke.

It seemed it was the same d*mn game in almost every category.
It was always either God Of War, Halo 2, GTA:SA.

The Game Of the Year....:rolleyes:
Boy, I thought, "Well, its game channel, so maybe it'll be better than MTV's Rap Fest called MTV Video Game Awards."

Wrong! It was only worth watching them talking to the celebrities.
But G4Phoria...what a d*mn joke. Last time I watch a Channel host a Game Awards Show.

This is G4's third time with GPhoria and it is still horrible. Gamespot posted the winners about two weeks ago and the results were not impressive.

I'm not sure why G4 keeps doing it, the ratings of the past two were not stellar.

Yeah it did. The Best Boss was friggin' stupid.

Halo 2 beat God of War?
Halo 2's Scarab isn't even a boss! Its just a bunch of the enemies.
Hell, the leader in Scarab was harder than the machine WHICH never really attacks you.

But yeah, this was the stupidest d*mn thing I'd seen.

Shaft! Being the racing game fan, I felt shafted that Gran Turismo 4 lost to (fanfare) Burnout 3: Takedown. I lost respect for the Burnout series since I had very little reason to say why a game like this is the most fun anyone will have. The big surprise in all this? I was surprised that "Forza Motorsport" didn't nominated. I thought this was the game that completely blew away Gran Turismo 4 in almost every respect, but it didn't get nominated?

In terms of video game performances, I played only one game I knew I had a favorite male performance to- C.J. of GTA: San Andreas. I loved CJ. He was a character I could actually get into no matter what anyone else daresay. For what I know, San Andreas got only ONE award for "Best Licensed Soundtrack." HALO 2 won awards like it was Scuderia Ferrari.

Now I have a confession I'd like to make on something I've been thinking of in recent times. I didn't want to get into the G-Phoria deal because I felt like I wasn't really 1% of the general American gaming public. For categories like "Best Male/Female Performance," there are usually a bunch of platforms and different games. All I have is a PS2, a GameCube, and a horrible computer. Sometimes, I wish I could have played each game in category, just to make a fair comparison and pick an outright winner. The other part of such an awards ceremony is that you have a favorite on some console, but the question is more of "will my choice for this specific console and game will overcome the whole of America who voted for their favorite game?"

Henceforth, a lot of good games were going to get shafted anyways. Because a game is your favorite doesn't mean it's America's favorite. I am a gamer, but I am not a committed gamer to the point of owning an entire library of games and consoles and portable systems. I think G4 is more like the COMMITTED gamers' channel, not so much the casual gamers. Committed means stuff like enjoying online gaming, rigging out your computer to playing the biggest games, being indulged into the game and fault find at will. I don't think I'm THAT committed, so I let America pick on favorites. The big shocker, again, was that "Best Racing Game" wasn't Gran Turismo 4 vs. Forza. Damn you, Burnout 3!

God of War definitely beats Halo 2. It was highly innovative and unique. I haven't enjoyed a game like I did God of War for a very long time. As for Halo 2, let's just say I'm waiting for the PC port...

There were some big title omissions. MGS3 and GT4 to only name a few.

JohnBM01
I think G4 is more like the COMMITTED gamers' channel, not so much the casual gamers.

No, I think it's the other away around. Only casual gamers would elect Burnout 3 over Gran Turismo or Forza. Not to say you're only casual, John. You just have better taste in games than those who nominated these games.

Well thanks for the kind words, Viper Zero. For Gran Turismo fans, you have to be proud that Gran Turismo 4 was nominated over Forza. But if you ask me, I give Forza the benefit of the doubt. GT4 vs. Forza is this year's racing battle. Maybe this proves my usual generalizations about Forza, in saying that everyone things Forza completely outclasses GT4 in almost every respect, but in terms of G-Phoria voting, Forza doesn't make it. Then too, I was IM'ing someone about the "Best Racing Game" deal. In the GT5 forums, I made a Sound Off! about "How to Silence the Critics." One of the main questions among many I asked was "are racing games getting boring?" Are they so boring that Burnout 3 really provides something new to racing games? I had respect for the series, but once people chose this over GT4 (and even Forza Motorsport), I was like... even if all of us GT fans voted for G-Phoria we'd STILL lose to Burnout 3. I never thought that racing games lacked fun, damage, and competitive action, so why does something like Burnout 3 win it all in terms of Best Racing Game?

So for these reasons, I didn't really vote because I would be like "I'd vote GT4, but it wouldn't matter since us GT fans don't really compare to Burnout 3." Then my question would be, if people love Burnout 3, how come their community isn't as big as the GT community? No pun intended, but the amount of GT fans are basically a whole GT Planet. Anyone else feel a certain game or category got SHAFTED in this year's awards?

I think MGS3 got shafted a bit.
G4's lucky it was "Best Boss" and not hardest because MGS3's nomination of the old man would have took that home given the award or not.

The old man takes hours and hours to find then beat!

It's wrong for Burnout 3 and GT4 to be in the same category they are two SEPERATE games. A simulator and an arcade game. GT4 should go under Simulator instead of racing game.

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I think that the entire show was pretty straight forward and rushed in my opinion. They should have gotten more creative when announcing the winner for each category like how they did with Kratos from God of War. :embarrassed: It was so cool when this Kratos look alike comes and acts totally happy and stabs the wannabe Oprah!!!! :embarrassed::lol: The Master Cheif one at the end was okay, but I prefer him to actually come to the stage in a full suit and talking!!! :mad: There just should have been more creative in bringing the characters and such to come in and accept their award.

One of the last thing toward the show that I was also dissapointed with is the performance from Black Eyes Peas. To me, it reminds me of how Ashley Simpson sounds horrible in concert. Ugh.....:mad: I feel so dissapointed with every other performances too....

I think they need a much bigger budget next time! :embarrassed: I wish this show would be like the Grammy awards! 👍

Ashlee Simpson? My fondest memory of her was getting booed right out of this year's Orange Bowl. She got booed right out of Miami. Classic.

I had one award winner I can respect- Madden NFL 2005 for Best Traditional Sports game. I may have NCAA Football 2005, but I respect Madden. If you ask me, the battle was going to be between ESPN NFL 2005 and Madden '05. Madden '05 won, maybe with Madden 2006 to win next year.

Going back to my last post. When I was talking about committed gamers vs. casual gamers, let me clarify a bit more. I related COMMITTED gamers as those who have every current console and portable. They also have PCs good enough to play the latest PC games. All the big games, they got them. I don't know how you guys and girls felt about best multiplayer and online games, but the committed types will like a game solo, love it even more online or against others. The casual ones, though, are the ones who don't have every system, don't have every game, and may or may not do the online gaming thing. You know that I am not the online gaming type. Like I've stated. When you talk about what games should win the big awards, whatever vote you cast is going to be your decision vs. if America agrees. You holla' back to G4 about your vote for a certain game in category, all it comes down to is if America agrees with you.

With "McLaren'sAngel"'s post, we were chatting the other night about Burnout 3 winning over GT4, WipeOut Pure, Rallisport Challenge 2, and some other game. Like I said, I'm not a Forza fanatic, but it seemed pretty unfair that Forza wasn't in the running for Best Racing Game. If you ask me, GT4 vs. Forza is still the racing battle of this year even if an arcade racing crashfest is better than both GT4 and FM. And what makes Burnout 3 better than GT4 and even Forza? I may be a sim game racer, but there were some big names that got shafted. As far as most awards go, all I know is that HALO 2 got more than Half-Life 2.

So on the topic of Best Racing Game, (1) did "Burnout 3: Takedown" DESERVE Best Racing Game compared to its competition? (2) Forza didn't get nominated for Best Racing Game. Was this a black eye for the competition? (3) What would you change about G-Phoria, if you could?

I love G4.. but Gphoria was a complete waste of time. I watched it at first for the games, but the best thing was when the bravery performed.. Video Game Award shows on TV have always been stupid though, so no suprise.

I really don't mind the other awards given to this and that game but the best racing game award still kinda ticked me off a bit. :mad:

To us, we will vote for Gran Turismo 4 as the winner for sure, but what we just have to understand is probably that people nowadays prefer quick fun over long term fun. I guess most people these days like to do things they can't do like driving like a maniac and do it without risk. Meanwhile we got people like us who are devoted to track racing and driving real life cars. :embarrassed: 👍

I personally think that race gamers today aren't caring much for simulation games as much anymore because they don't like using up time to learn how to drift or get fast laps in Gran Turismo. They simply want something that is easy to play and brag about. Look at the craze over Need for Speed: Underground 1 and 2....

So easy to do laps and so easy to do drifting. That is all they want. EASY EASY EASY EASY! :mad:

I don't know.. Burnout 3 was uber fun... But they are two totally different games, so.... they're both good.... but I think Burnout 3 was really really really fun so if I voted, i would have voted for it.

Silverzone
I don't know.. Burnout 3 was uber fun... But they are two totally different games, so.... they're both good.... but I think Burnout 3 was really really really fun so if I voted, i would have voted for it.

The problem is that GPhoria put Burnout 3 and Gran Turismo 4 in the same category. 👎 I can see Burnout 3 winning for arcade racing game and Gran Turismo 4 possibly the winner of simulation racing. Forza would have to be GT4 competition. :embarrassed:

No doubt that Burnout 3 was the best racing game, but they left out the Driving Simulation category, which GT4, Forza, and Enthusia fall into.

Back