Gr3 Tire Wear Findings

• Thread starter scuudz
  • 0 comments
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it after a search so posting here to share some info and also maybe encourage a discussion on this topic.

We are planning on running a Gr3 championship in the near future and were doing some testing to figure out the best tire wear rates and fuel consumption rates for a race that will last 30-35 minutes.

The Problem - We found that after using multiple cars with different drivers on different tracks that we weren't really finding a middle ground in terms of wear rates where multiple strategies would be viable in a race i.e. RS on Mix 1 vs RH on Mix 6 vs going with something in between.

We also found that with anything more than 6x tire wear RS basically became unusable after 5-6 laps so using them in a race was unviable. Taking one compound out of the equation kills the strategy aspect of approaching a race which was something we wanted to avoid.

The Solution (maybe) - Lower tire wear (4x) and a longer race made the RS more viable in a race while RH stayed usable for the entire duration of the race (~35 minutes).

The part that I'm unsure of is that the tire change during a pit stop takes a negligible amount of time compared to refueling so are there situations that people have encountered where people have gone into the pits JUST for fuel, and it has actually made a difference? Any insight that people may have to share on this would be appreciated.

Back