Gran Turismo 5 Full Game Footage/Images

• Thread starter Sam48
  • 8,194 comments
This is off topic, but it's been mentioned that Standard cars are modelled as a single piece and premiums have each panel modelled individually. This is why you can't change rims, as they would probably have to create a different car per rim. The standards come from GTPSP and GT3 mainly.

Highly doubt it's from GT3 and more likely GT4.

Something tells me Super Sport will be in DLC. Sure GT6 is now being worked on, but DLC will come. In Prologue alone we had 2 Major DLCs, Spec II and Spec III. I doubt PD wont even release ONE major DLC.

By the way, that Buggatti is a Sandard car. Looks amazing!

Lol you have Sumerian clay plate depicting Annunaki as your profile picture :dopey:

This is off topic, but it's been mentioned that Standard cars are modelled as a single piece and premiums have each panel modelled individually. This is why you can't change rims, as they would probably have to create a different car per rim. The standards come from GTPSP and GT3 mainly.

The "single piece" thing was for car bodies, not wheels.
Standard cars come mainly from GT4; most of those from GTPSP were from GT4 too, but had slightly downsampled textures due to performance limitations.

But we could change rims in previous GTs, when every car was standard - modeled as a single piece, as you say. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Let's compare some pictures of real cars to their counterparts in GT5. :D I'll start:

Real-life picture of Mercedes SLS AMG:

Mercedes-Benz_SLS_AMG_angle.jpg

In-game picture of Mercedes SLS AMG:

Mercedes_SLS_AMG_GT5.jpg

Real-life picture of Audi R8:

2008GrayAudi1.jpg

In-game picture of Audi R8:

gran_turismo_5_chrome_audi_r8.jpg

But we could change rims in previous GTs, when every car was standard - modeled as a single piece, as you say. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Look at the rims on the standard cars though. They've been reworked and aren't completely flat and look at least presentable in a next-gen game. Allowing standard cars to change rims would mean PD will have to remodel all of the rims available in previous GT games.

2s82wit.jpg

23jsbj7.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's simple; only drive Premium cars. There were under 200 cars (I think) in GT3 and you probably got by just fine. Unless you haven't played any other game in the GT series..
The way I see it, the Premiums are the only car which I'll be driving in Career/GT Life; the Standards will be used to get that 100% completion.

No you're absolutely right. In GT4, I don't think I even had 200 cars in my garage. In any case, it's disappointing any way you put it. The way PD/Sony advertises the game, they make it seem like you can customize ALL 1000+ cars in the game. I think I have to start getting used to all these failed promises that Kaz makes. I'm kinda just scratching my head now cuz the way Kaz described the process in making this game, he said that it's equivalent to the Apollo Mission. That's quite a VERY bold statement to make, and this is probably partly the reason why people are so disappointed. For him to make such a statement, fans would only assume that the game's features are out of this world. Now we find out the truth...so I ask, what took so long!?!? I'm no game developer so I don't know how long the life-cycle is for an average game. So from what we've seen, did it have to take 5-6 years!?

Well, I agree with PD on taking them out of Photo Mode, because they would cause "inconsistence", like if it was 2 games in one, and also give a worse impression of the game. Even if Standards look good, the difference between the 2 types is noticeable.

But hey, you can take photos from them on the replays ;).

Yeah you are right. Now I kinda see why they did that. But why not wheel options? Maybe again, the wheels in GT5 are super HD and it wont look good on standard cars?

Lol you have Sumerian clay plate depicting Annunaki as your profile picture :dopey:

So?

Read bold. This information is on the official site. The standard car issue has been known for a while, except the wheels and other things.

Yes, since june 18th of 2010, 5 years into the DEV cycle. But let's not forget GTHD had a 2 tier car system already. Remember that were were supposed to have the game in March(japan) so they told us this stuff 3 months after the game was supposed to be out. They never mentioned anything that the current set of videos are showing us. They were keeping it quiet so we would find out after they had our money.

Yeah you are right. Now I kinda see why they did that. But why not wheel options? Maybe again, the wheels in GT5 are super HD and it wont look good on standard cars?
Look at the rims on the standard cars though. They've been reworked and aren't completely flat and look at least presentable in a next-gen game. Allowing standard cars to change rims would mean PD will have to remodel all of the rims available in previous GT games.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2s82wit.jpg[img]
[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/23jsbj7.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I see your point. You're assuming "premium wheels" won't "look right" on Standard cars. I hadn't thought about that.

I see your point. You're assuming "premium wheels" won't "look right" on Standard cars. I hadn't thought about that.

Yes, PD could HD up the previous GT4 rims for standard cars in GT5 if they still have licence for them. But thats just extra work, may take less time then doing Premium rims for Premium cars, but that still takes work, and that work can be used in different departments like Weather system and Day night effects.

By end of the day PD wants to make Premium cars the Stars of the game, and Standard cars to be extras and for the Hardcore GT Fans that will still enjoy new physics engine in them no matter how they look.

I would love more customization for Standard cars, but its 700+ cars, it will take so much time to do that so no thanks, I want GT5 in 9 days !

No you're absolutely right. In GT4, I don't think I even had 200 cars in my garage. In any case, it's disappointing any way you put it. The way PD/Sony advertises the game, they make it seem like you can customize ALL 1000+ cars in the game. I think I have to start getting used to all these failed promises that Kaz makes. I'm kinda just scratching my head now cuz the way Kaz described the process in making this game, he said that it's equivalent to the Apollo Mission. That's quite a VERY bold statement to make, and this is probably partly the reason why people are so disappointed. For him to make such a statement, fans would only assume that the game's features are out of this world. Now we find out the truth...so I ask, what took so long!?!? I'm no game developer so I don't know how long the life-cycle is for an average game. So from what we've seen, did it have to take 5-6 years!?

EXACTLY! that is a perfect description all though I'm done speculating until i play it for myself. I am going to go in as if I haven't seen these shortcomings... Perhaps they are just setting us up making us think that its that crappy only to release a badass version to us all. At-least that is my dream I hope I wake up to.

Where is that from? I thought the Veyron was a Standard car that looks like a Premium. Maybe its a Premium exterior with no interior?

It's standard. They probably rendered a high poly exterior model before down-scaling it for the psp version.

Yes, PD could HD up the previous GT4 rims for standard cars in GT5 if they still have licence for them. But thats just extra work, may take less time then doing Premium rims for Premium cars, but that still takes work, and that work can be used in different departments like Weather system and Day night effects.

By end of the day PD wants to make Premium cars the Stars of the game, and Standard cars to be extras and for the Hardcore GT Fans that will still enjoy new physics engine in them no matter how they look.

I would love more customization for Standard cars, but its 700+ cars, it will take so much time to do that so no thanks, I want GT5 in 9 days !

This is whats it's about! Nice post man everybody crying about the standards, majority of us knew the deal with them. The premiums are the real deal just playing with them is going to give us a really fun experience.

Where is that from? I thought the Veyron was a Standard car that looks like a Premium. Maybe its a Premium exterior with no interior?

It's listed as standard on the car list. I don't know if it's a typo or not but I sure hope it is. A car as awesome as this doesn't deserve to be standard!! :(

Last edited:
It's listed as standard on the car list. I don't know if it's a typo or not but I sure hope it is. A car as awesome as this doesn't deserve to be standard!! :(

Well look at the Ferrari F40, it was listed as standard when it was a premium in GT5P so who knows.

I hated the idea of standard cars before i knew how they worked in the game, RDK said "standard cars are used cars" or something like that. So we can only get standard cars from the used car lot. In my opinion, this adds a whole new aspect of reality to the gameplay.

Does the photomode have a free camera like Forza 3 or is it like Gt4 where you have certain camera positions to cycle through?

Is there a video of GT5 photo in action. The OP has no photomode video and the thread is too big to check, thanks.

If we look closely, the tires' texture are standard-ish as well. I believe all the custom wheels have premium tire texture. However I do not understand why standard cars cannot fit premium rims, while they can fit a wing on them. However I am amazed standard cars can be now painted, consider how much effort PD had to convert them from GT4. I am sure we will see many pearlescent coloured standard cars in the future :)

Back