Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,261 comments
Have you guys tried the 3D Audio recently implemented on PS5?
Yes, The 6 and 8 channel Dolby Digital acoustic positional accuracy is phenomenal! Proper speaker and room calibration is critical, but not surprisingly Sony knows how to exceed audio and video cinematic fidelity, and it looks like the combination of the forza sound super talent that they enticed years ago ( https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-hires-previous-forza-audio-lead-for-gran-turismo/ ) coupled with their studio sound engineering excellence has put GT7 so far ahead of the pack in every aspect from recording, reproduction, and accuracy in fidelity of experience.

Significant technical excellence, but most importantly with true understanding of what makes Audio truly special. a masterclass in art and science. The GDC session if you can get it from Masao Kimura is peek inspiration in quality. - https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/gran-turismo-7-sound-design-of-the-real-driving-simulator/898986

And as an interesting recent update, Mike is so exceptional he was recently lured back to T10 to try to help recover or salvage anything from fm: https://forums.forza.net/t/welcome-back-mike/729168

Last edited:
What’s the minimum length a game needs to have to deserve the score Astro got? (undeservingly according to you)
Astro bot takes 16,5hrs to fully complete. Collect everything. Just finishing the game, which is what most players will do, takes only 10hrs.
You are paying full price for 10hrs of content (and only some will stay for the full 16,5hrs). Specially in a world where gaming is getting more expensive every year. I would have been ok with 94 if the game had been twice as long (20hrs finish, 30hrs completionist). My score for it would have been 85 max.

Keep digging. Or actually stop. It’s really annoying.

You talked some nonsense. We called you out for it - you talk some more nonsense. Time to let it go.

If Astro isn’t a win for Sony nothing is.

We? Now you think you can speak for everyone? Who gave you that power?

Where did I bury myself or talked nonsense?
I think I defended my points well, even if many dont agree (people are free to do so). Unlike you who has done nothing other than move goalposts and put words in my mouth I didnt say.

We’re done here.
You brought this on yourself. But I agree. This is a gt7 thread and we have stired away from it for too long. People dont have to deal with your bs or mine. You shall get no more replies from me

Astro bot takes 16,5hrs to fully complete. Collect everything. Just finishing the game, which is what most players will do, takes only 10hrs.
You are paying full price for 10hrs of content (and only some will stay for the full 16,5hrs). Specially in a world where gaming is getting more expensive every year. I would have been ok with 94 if the game had been twice as long (20hrs finish, 30hrs completionist). My score for it would have been 85 max.

We? Now you think you can speak for everyone? Who gave you that power?

Where did I bury myself or talked nonsense?
I think I defended my points well, even if many dont agree (people are free to do so). Unlike you who has done nothing other than move goalposts and put words in my mouth I didnt say.

You brought this on yourself. But I agree. This is a gt7 thread and we have stired away from it for too long. People dont have to deal with your bs or mine. You shall get no more replies from me
How long a game takes isn’t really a good point to make when it comes to a games quality (or score following your argumentation).
A good gaming journalist shouldn’t score a game lower just because it’s not as long as other games. If the game has quality and if you can feel there’s passion in it, and if you can see that the game is as it should be, as the developers envisioned and wasn’t shortened, lengthened or rushed in any kind, then it deserves the score it deserves and shouldn’t be artificially lowered because some people demand more and more nowadays. This often results in more content over quality, so I for myself find it refreshing to see this focus on quality and prefer something like this over packed games like Assassins creed etc.. For a lot of people the shorter campaign is a plus not a minus. A longer TLOU for example (which also has around the same length) wouldn’t make the Game better, it would probably be worse, I actually think games like these became the masterpieces they are because of their focus, because they told what they wanted to tell and didn’t distract the gamer with unnecessary stuff, keep the momentum going. In the case of AstroBot I guess it’s the fun itself and feeling it delivers, wrapping it up before it gets old.
A longer movie doesn’t make it automatically better also.
I’m a big fan of Christopher Nolan for example, but Oppenheimer for me was too long, the whole hearing at the end was just too long imo and this afterwards also downgraded the parts that came before for me.
And while we are in a forum where it’s mostly about cars, a car (in most cases) doesn’t have fans and gets celebrated because of how long their engine lasts, how many miles it can get on its odometer.

Astro bot takes 16,5hrs to fully complete. Collect everything.
Apropos of that... have you tried it?

I'm on my first playthrough and I'm missing three bots, having only assessed the difficulty of the levels in which you'll find them and not repeating any levels beyond the necessity of getting any bots/pieces/exits I missed first time. My PS5 says I'm at 23hr, and it's not like I'm inept.

If you spend a lot of time making a most efficient path through and are insanely lucky/good with some of the trickier areas, I reckon you could get it down to 15. But that's after dozens of hours practicing and refining your technique.

Guys, the dude is trying to tell Astrobot that the game is a flop, gets told it sells really well, then tries to argue the game is not good, gets told the ratings are of the chart and now tries to argue the game is too short. I think we know where this is going lol

Astrobot is a succes both in ratings and in revenue, calling it a flop is just reaching.

Last edited:
A longer TLOU for example (which also has around the same length) wouldn’t make the Game better, it would probably be worse, I actually think games like these became the masterpieces they are because of their focus, because they told what they wanted to tell and didn’t distract the gamer with unnecessary stuff, keep the momentum going.
You’re right that the lenght of game doesn’t determine how good it is, but the writers have to make sure they utilize the lenght wisely. I cannot comment on Astro Bot, but both GT7 and The Last of Us fail at this.

The GT7 campaign only lasted a few days, and so much obvious content was ignored by PD. They failed to make a short game that was well-rounded. I think the same is somewhat true for TLOU with the final part feeling rushed.

If we should rate how good games are after how long it takes to complete them (for example getting all trophies or cough cough collect all cars) GT7 would be rated at 214/100.
There’s a difference between completing the “story” mode and going for 100%. Let’s not lose sight of the actual topic.

You’re right that the lenght of game doesn’t determine how good it is, but the writers have to make sure they utilize the lenght wisely. I cannot comment on Astro Bot, but both GT7 and The Last of Us fail at this.

The GT7 campaign only lasted a few days, and so much obvious content was ignored by PD. They failed to make a short game that was well-rounded. I think the same is somewhat true for TLOU with the final part feeling rushed.

There’s a difference between completing the “story” mode and going for 100%. Let’s not lose sight of the actual topic.
When it comes to the campaign of GT7, I agree to some degree (but in that case I would call them designers not writers). But GT7 isn’t comparable to these other games (and I personally took a lot longer to complete the campaign btw), there’s a lot more to factor in, which is really difficult in the case of GT7 imo, because it has such outstanding parts that no other racing game can compete with, but also lacks so much in other departments which I don’t understand why.

About TLOU I don’t agree, I never felt that anything was rushed there, I always felt that these games (and Uncharted too, especially Uncharted 4) are almost perfect when it comes to pacing and good timing, it feels really natural the way the story unfolds, paired with the right amount of good engaging gameplay and freedom.
Which Part do you mean, Part 1 or 2?

I had my own thoughts on GT7's trophies, like how I think they could've used different criteria for the two scapes trophies rather than featuring the exact same cars and locations as the scapes trophies from GT Sport did. Or how I would've totally been down for something like beating a real-world lap time - I think GT5 did something similar with the '07 R35 GT-R at the Nurburgring.

Personally, I think trophies should ideally function as providing players with a solid but reasonable challenge (unlike GT Sport's trophies for poles/wins in Sport Mode) while also giving the devs metadata that allows them to potentially track certain player trends and behaviors. I imagine a developer ideally examining how many players have acquired a certain trophy, and then using that data to inform the devs of how much players are utilizing a certain gameplay element that the trophy requires one to use, such as photomode or installing a widebody.

Of course, there is the further challenge of designing a trophy list based on the launch version of a game when there are post-launch updates, as seen with every GT game since 5.

Last edited:
How long a game takes isn’t really a good point to make when it comes to a games quality (or score following your argumentation).
A good gaming journalist shouldn’t score a game lower just because it’s not as long as other games. If the game has quality and if you can feel there’s passion in it, and if you can see that the game is as it should be, as the developers envisioned and wasn’t shortened, lengthened or rushed in any kind, then it deserves the score it deserves and shouldn’t be artificially lowered because some people demand more and more nowadays. This often results in more content over quality, so I for myself find it refreshing to see this focus on quality and prefer something like this over packed games like Assassins creed etc.. For a lot of people the shorter campaign is a plus not a minus. A longer TLOU for example (which also has around the same length) wouldn’t make the Game better, it would probably be worse, I actually think games like these became the masterpieces they are because of their focus, because they told what they wanted to tell and didn’t distract the gamer with unnecessary stuff, keep the momentum going. In the case of AstroBot I guess it’s the fun itself and feeling it delivers, wrapping it up before it gets old.
A longer movie doesn’t make it automatically better also.
I’m a big fan of Christopher Nolan for example, but Oppenheimer for me was too long, the whole hearing at the end was just too long imo and this afterwards also downgraded the parts that came before for me.
And while we are in a forum where it’s mostly about cars, a car (in most cases) doesn’t have fans and gets celebrated because of how long their engine lasts, how many miles it can get on its odometer.
Quality over quantity! More cars or tracks are NOT going to make a game much better if at all. Especially when the cars are merely tiny fractions different because it's a 2023 GT3 car versus a 2019. smh.

Features that you use every single time you start the program, and before and after every single race, and how quickly you can get things adjusted so you can race more, that's the quality that matters. Seeing, while racing, incredible tread details through the rain spray as you feel every tiny itsy bit of grip in the FFB wheel and dance with the throttle and wheel as you position yourself inches from your opponent for the overtake, and still marvel at the curbing and track and axle shafts, that's the quality that matters, in game, while absorbed in the moment. While Playing.

Put someone in front of a screen and immedietely start the countdown 3... 2... 1.. GO! and after the second corner ask them is this 2160p/4K? or 8K? or 1440p. THEY WILL NOT KNOW. Ask them if it is 30fps, 60fps, or 120fps. They WILL ABSOLUTELY KNOW!

And I will say the most enjoyable and surprising unexpected long remembered joys are the ones you would never have conceived. Racing a Old 1932 Ford Roadster, I truly had a pit in my stomach thinking irrationally and without basis it would be dull, lame, a waste of my precious fun time, but... It was FUN AF. By the end of it I was like they should include this in the daily races. Polyphony is mostly paying attention to what matters and delivering it more than most realize, likely because of ignorance and unwillingness to try. It's always good to be reminded of our foolishness and learn and grow past it.

The one's that are off the beaten path are the precious surprises. I love Music rally, I wish they would add more. They really are FUN. The Missions are a breath of fresh air. Game Types matter. I can't create a livery to save my life, but I would likely not have bought a PS5 this year and a PS5 Pro yesterday had the helmet, suit, and livery easily shared masterpiece creation capability not been there.

QUALITY of life seems to get diminished by the naive and inexperienced who are indoctrinated to only be able to count and see increasing quantity as valuable or worthwhile. Some cases where quantity is the offshoot of quality by way of combination is not quantity in itself, but much much more. AKA There should be at a minimum 6 Daily races, not for the sake of MORE nonsense, but for a variety of quality.

Sometimes you just want to hoonigan around and not ruin your driver rating. Having silly cars with giant soccer balls and such are the variety and quality and passion that gear heads love. We love to create, we love to share, we love to try new things and be surprised. Driving a new track is marginally different than any other track, and once you are in the heat of the moment having fun, the track or the car you are in doesn't matter. The fairness of the race does, SIGNIFICANTLY. Proper penalties and banning bad behavior matter. a rotten apple spoiling it for the bunch is not worth allowing to to fester because it might not be perfect. Perfect is the enemy of quality and community. And it's not real. No two people can agree on what perfect is. It's a nonsensical ego trip. No matter how many cars or tracks, that issue effects nearly every race.

Spectating others having fun when you might be multitasking, thanks to US tax enslavement filing, matters. I can't focus the amount required for playing, but I can enjoy my friends play watching them while I worry that I missed carrying a decimal point and will go to prison.

Speaking of, CAN"T WAIT FOR THE TOKYO NATIONS CUP TOMORROW before the break of dawn. WOOT!

Here's to complaining and criticizing FOR things everyone benefits from, not accepting bad decisions and learning to enjoy and try things and use that to keep making things better.

Last edited by a moderator:
More cars or tracks are NOT going to make a game much better if at all
Different people value different things. They play the game for different reasons and they place value on the things that make their experience better. More cars and more tracks is, and has always been, the only thing I've consistently wanted since the first game, which makes me think this...
the naive and inexperienced who are indoctrinated to only be able to count and see increasing quantity as valuable or worthwhile
... is just ignorant, self important horse crap.

When it comes to the campaign of GT7, I agree to some degree (but in that case I would call them designers not writers).
Designers / writers. GT7 is the first GT title which combines game progression with storytelling, albeit a very shallow story.
But GT7 isn’t comparable to these other games (and I personally took a lot longer to complete the campaign btw), there’s a lot more to factor in, which is really difficult in the case of GT7 imo, because it has such outstanding parts that no other racing game can compete with, but also lacks so much in other departments which I don’t understand why.
Astro Bot, TLOU and GT are indeed in different genres, but all games having a main campaign can be compared in terms of pacing vs. game lenght. At the end of the day it’s merely a question about the degree to which a game succeeds in achieving a fulfilling experience throughout.
About TLOU I don’t agree, I never felt that anything was rushed there, I always felt that these games (and Uncharted too, especially Uncharted 4) are almost perfect when it comes to pacing and good timing, it feels really natural the way the story unfolds, paired with the right amount of good engaging gameplay and freedom.
I agree on everything you said regarding Uncharted 4. TLOU not so much. It has some very elaborate parts and others that feel cut short. Overall I like the game, but I don’t think it’s a masterpiece.
Which Part do you mean, Part 1 or 2?
TLOU? I’m talking about the 2013 game. I never played the PS5 version called Part I, and I don’t know whether it’s any different to the original.

If we're going to get in depth at all about story/career pacing of other games, could I please request people be mindful of spoilers?

I'm playing through the Uncharteds for the first time at the minute (didn't really play games in the PS3 gen, the Astro Bot level made me curious), and I'd prefer not to have this conversation spoil me on them if that's okay.

If we're going to get in depth at all about story/career pacing of other games, could I please request people be mindful of spoilers?

I'm playing through the Uncharteds for the first time at the minute (didn't really play games in the PS3 gen, the Astro Bot level made me curious), and I'd prefer not to have this conversation spoil me on them if that's okay.
I was mindful about that from the get go. Otherwise I’d use spoiler tags.

Designers / writers. GT7 is the first GT title which combines game progression with storytelling, albeit a very shallow story.

Astro Bot, TLOU and GT are indeed in different genres, but all games having a main campaign can be compared in terms of pacing vs. game lenght. At the end of the day it’s merely a question about the degree to which a game succeeds in achieving a fulfilling experience throughout.

I agree on everything you said regarding Uncharted 4. TLOU not so much. It has some very elaborate parts and others that feel cut short. Overall I like the game, but I don’t think it’s a masterpiece.

TLOU? I’m talking about the 2013 game. I never played the PS5 version called Part I, and I don’t know whether it’s any different to the original.

I thought tlou1 was spot on, lengthwise.

Tlou2 was far too long imo. Felt like I was dragging myself through the last 10 hours or so, willing it to end (nothing to do with characters involved either).

FF7 rebirth is a great example of more not being good, had they cut out 75% of the mandatory mini-game crap, we could have had a proper final chapter with engrossing story to match the original game's first disc ending.

Back