Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,624 comments
Punctures incoming?

(Guy Barbara post re the Nations race on Saturday)

changes-in-future-new-physics-1-49-possible-according-to-v0-6qvb9iqf8hbd1.jpg

Honestly I don't like the sound of this, the physics might be going a bit too sim for me.

Last edited:
Trailing throttle oversteer is real, and not as pronounced as it is in real life. Imprezas and Evos tend to be very loose at entry, particularly in stock form.

The issue with race tyres is that most cars are severly undersprung and underdamped to handle race tyres, even when you crank the rates. When I was running a GC chassis Impreza on 275/35/15 Hoosiers, natural frequencies were around 3.5hz. The settings for most cars don't go up that high. Meanwhile, in stock form on more realistic tyres, most cars are way overdamped and very stable in the game.

Punctures incoming?

(Guy Barbara post re the Nations race on Saturday)

View attachment 1371091

Honestly I don't like the sound of this, the physics might be going a bit too sim for me.
Barbara's tyres were super dead on the lap he spun (the telemetry just showed a warning symbol for him instead of a percentage).

I take that to mean there's now a big performance cliff at 90%+ wear, possibly exacerbated if you stress them at that level of wear like he would have done by spinning. Should make pitting more viable a strategy in some of those Daily Cs where right now the optimal strategy is to do nothing at the mandatory pit.

I see your point, but there are differences: the main "sponsor" of this car is Gazoo Racing and there are many smaller sponsors, thus having wheels and tires from companies differing from the many listed brands is not as unusual. Also, the tire stickers are unicolor. The Michelin tire stickers we will get are much larger and have the Michelin colors, thus they are visually much more dominant.

I find the Michelin-only off-putting for many liveries in terms of colors and sponsor logic, but maybe that's just me. I do welcome that we can get tire stickers on road cars now.
I want white lettering for ALL the muscle cars.

The more I think about the tire thing, the less sense it makes.

Surely all the classic American muscle cars wouldn't come equipped with completely incongruous tires?

What about all the vintage racers with old-fashioned cross ply tires?
I want white lettering for ALL the muscle cars.

Wait . . . how many miles do you have on your Polyglas tires?

The cringe is palpable; this ad did not age well.
I sincerely hope PD don't compromise on the accuracy of their car models for the sake of corporate $$$...
There are limits; they don't have a deal with every tire company out there.
Curious what the physics change will be. The game still has issues letting us know when the car is about to suddenly kick out and send us flying towards the wall. I think off track grip could be reduced greatly.
I'll admit (with your encouragement I may add) I don't have nearly as much of an issue with slip as before. The Buttkicker Gamer Plus along with a BST-2 I recently added to my setup has made quite a difference. However, I'm curious to see if the new physics create a change in feedback.

Also, I have a couple of custom races that I normally get either 1st or 2nd - and it's always a fight - at either Spa or Sainte Croix C. With the new update I may have to adjust those after I re-tune my favorite cars for those: a '71 Pantera with the GT5 widebody kit & a Coyote engine . . . and a '76 512 BB Koenig "Replica."

All in all, I love this update! Eiger returns (I have a Subaru I'll have to re-create), new physics, new tires (I suspect all the comfort/sport tires will magically change to Michelins), SOPHY AT NURBURGRING 24 & Banky Boi OMGWTFBBQ!!! Oh, and six cars I get to try/reacquaint myself with. Also, new wheels to add to the collection.

All of this is glorious V.R.

Looking forward to July 25th; I've already informed my family I will be "gone" for about 96 hours.

Last edited:
Barbara's tyres were super dead on the lap he spun (the telemetry just showed a warning symbol for him instead of a percentage).

I take that to mean there's now a big performance cliff at 90%+ wear, possibly exacerbated if you stress them at that level of wear like he would have done by spinning. Should make pitting more viable a strategy in some of those Daily Cs where right now the optimal strategy is to do nothing at the mandatory pit.
I really hope the red tyres actually mean zero grip like it was before - nothing like driving on red tyres

Lucas Ordoñez in the Spanish comments of the Montreal event ... I suppose that the GtPlanet team will be preparing an article about it.
page front GIF

Any clues would be great. I heard them talking about Barbara and Heck needing new tyres, and wanting to see the Barbara off again but there wasn't a clip available, but otherwise... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I enjoyed that Polyglass advert.

Sony should do an advert like that for GT7.
"When a woman plays GT7..." :scared:

I know a woman that plays GT7 though, and it just happens to be my own mother. She's actually pretty good at it and beat me more than a few times even though she doesn't play racing games much.

Last edited:
Wait . . . how many miles do you have on your Polyglas tires?

The cringe is palpable; this ad did not age well.

There are limits; they don't have a deal with every tire company out there.

I'll admit (with your encouragement I may add) I don't have nearly as much of an issue with slip as before. The Buttkicker Gamer Plus along with a BST-2 I recently added to my setup has made quite a difference. However, I'm curious to see if the new physics create a change in feedback.

Also, I have a couple of custom races that I normally get either 1st or 2nd - and it's always a fight - at either Spa or Sainte Croix C. With the new update I may have to adjust those after I re-tune my favorite cars for those: a '71 Pantera with the GT5 widebody kit & a Coyote engine . . . and a '76 512 BB Koenig "Replica."

All in all, I love this update! Eiger returns (I have a Subaru I'll have to re-create), new physics, new tires (I suspect all the comfort/sport tires will magically change to Michelins), SOPHY AT NURBURGRING 24 & Banky Boi OMGWTFBBQ!!! Oh, and six cars I get to try/reacquaint myself with. Also, new wheels to add to the collection.

All of this is glorious V.R.

Looking forward to July 25th; I've already informed my family I will be "gone" for about 96 hours.

I was half speaking for myself, some friends have mentioned the game doesn’t really let you know before it’s too late. I have tactile feedback and a Logitech Pro wheel, I don’t get crazy out of control too often as I can find my limit a little more easily now. That wasn’t the case with my G923. Sometimes I’d be accelerating out of a corner and all seemed well until it’d just shoot right off the track.

I welcomed that one physics update where the wheel would get light when you lost traction on the front tires. I remember a lot we’re not happy about that. My first impression of the game was “why when I lose traction heading into a corner does my wheel get heavier?!?” So the physics have been getting better at least.

I’d welcome tire punctures from jumping curbs and less traction off track. I try to stay on the pavement but have noticed if I start falling behind I just start cutting corners (no penalties) and make the time up. Cutting enough that it hardly feels like I’m on the track anymore. So yeah I’d like to see that change along with the option to turn on mechanical damage from over revving or insane ring a ding ding ding downshifting. Not sure if that falls into new physics though. People tend to refer to physics as tires/handling only.

As for custom races, I haven’t spent too much time trying to dial in the perfect race because it’s quite time consuming to do so. Trying to figure out what tires, how to tune your car compared to theirs. The perfect amount of laps etc. it becomes too rehearsed. Why can’t I load up a grid of closely matched muscle cars and then tweak a difficulty slider versus all the other shenanigans you have to figure out in order to get a decent race? Haha

PMK
My heart is longing for these tracks, add Mid Field to this aswell!
The one track from an older game I'd love to see is Complex String.

I would love to take the RGT 4.2 on that track for hours.

I was half speaking for myself, some friends have mentioned the game doesn’t really let you know before it’s too late. I have tactile feedback and a Logitech Pro wheel, I don’t get crazy out of control too often as I can find my limit a little more easily now. That wasn’t the case with my G923. Sometimes I’d be accelerating out of a corner and all seemed well until it’d just shoot right off the track.
Big fan of the G923 here . . . but the haptic feedback from my rig is so great for tracking rear wheel stuff. I'm afraid I rely on it too much now.
I welcomed that one physics update where the wheel would get light when you lost traction on the front tires. I remember a lot we’re not happy about that. My first impression of the game was “why when I lose traction heading into a corner does my wheel get heavier?!?” So the physics have been getting better at least.
Such a huge improvement . . ! If my wheels are off the ground, or my tires no longer have grip, the steering should feel lighter. Hopefully this new physics model will continue to do that.
I’d welcome tire punctures from jumping curbs and less traction off track. I try to stay on the pavement but have noticed if I start falling behind I just start cutting corners (no penalties) and make the time up. Cutting enough that it hardly feels like I’m on the track anymore. So yeah I’d like to see that change along with the option to turn on mechanical damage from over revving or insane ring a ding ding ding downshifting. Not sure if that falls into new physics though. People tend to refer to physics as tires/handling only.
I second the first bolded thing above. And I provide a hearty "AMEN" to the second. However, as you pointed out, the engine thing wouldn't be part of a physics update.
As for custom races, I haven’t spent too much time trying to dial in the perfect race because it’s quite time consuming to do so. Trying to figure out what tires, how to tune your car compared to theirs. The perfect amount of laps etc. it becomes too rehearsed. Why can’t I load up a grid of closely matched muscle cars and then tweak a difficulty slider versus all the other shenanigans you have to figure out in order to get a decent race? Haha
Some of the initial setup can take time but once you get the hang of it, you can be good to go.

After the physics update, see how your car handles. After you have it dialed in, then start to assemble your custom race. I have a couple cars that right now are at 592 & 594 PP (SH tires each) and I race against 620-660PP cars. Tire wear and especially fuel are where the race is won/lost.

And then there's Sophy.

Perhaps when the update hits, we can get 1, 2 or 3 lap races against Sophy (fingers crossed!)

Last edited:
page front GIF

Any clues would be great. I heard them talking about Barbara and Heck needing new tyres, and wanting to see the Barbara off again but there wasn't a clip available, but otherwise... 🤷‍♂️
Barbara did post a whole Video on Facebook talking a little bit about it, he mentioned that break balance make a huge difference now and the way you handle the tires is very important but that he was not able to go into more details but the change is kinda big.

Someone else also mentioned that maybe more arcade players won’t enjoy that much so I guess we maybe getting into more sim territory now

Barbara did post a whole Video on Facebook talking a little bit about it, he mentioned that break balance make a huge difference now and the way you handle the tires is very important but that he was not able to go into more details but the change is kinda big.
I can't see that; has he taken it down?

That aside, I'd still like to know what Lucas was saying because he's one step closer to PD.

I can't see that; has he taken it down?

That aside, I'd still like to know what Lucas was saying because he's one step closer to PD.
Yeah seems that he did took it down, maybe he provide too much info lol, he posted on the Gran Turismo 7 group.

I didn’t see the video from Lucas if someone has it I can watched and translate here lol

The one track from an older game I'd love to see is Complex String.

I would love to take the RGT 4.2 on that track for hours.

Big fan of the G923 here . . . but the haptic feedback from my rig is so great for tracking rear wheel stuff. I'm afraid I rely on it too much now.

Such a huge improvement . . ! If my wheels are off the ground, or my tires no longer have grip, the steering should feel lighter. Hopefully this new physics model will continue to do that.

I second the first bolded thing above. And I provide a hearty "AMEN" to the second. However, as you pointed out, the engine thing wouldn't be part of a physics update.

Some of the initial setup can take time but once you get the hang of it, you can be good to go.

After the physics update, see how your car handles. After you have it dialed in, then start to assemble your custom race. I have a couple cars that right now are at 592 & 594 PP (SH tires each) and I race against 620-660PP cars. Tire wear and especially fuel are where the race is won/lost.

And then there's Sophy.

Perhaps when the update hits, we can get 1, 2 or 3 lap races against Sophy (fingers crossed!)
Sorry I don’t know how to do the multiple quote thing.

Yeah nothing wrong with the G923, didn’t mean to cut it down, I still use its pedals. I did have it earlier on so maybe they were still sorting out physics yet. Actually I have two of them haha long story.

My custom races are like that too, 600pp cars, I’m at 565pp with comfort soft. Takes me about 7 laps to get past them all (clean racing) but my AI Boss Mustang for some reason just gets out front and is gone! They’re all on sports soft but I think it defaults. It takes me time to pass because there just isn’t even room to get by haha. Even if they sorted out the tires for custom races it would be an improvement, drive on what I give you! Also the AI’s biggest problem is they’re slow in the corners if they fixed that it would solve a lot.

I’m getting more and more pumped for this update and I hope there’s more tracks on the way. For me personally, a new track extends the life of the game. I can get used of not quite right physics etc but after awhile it gets old. New tracks have lasting power. It’s new and fresh for longer. Gotta get used of the track first, then you have to wear it out at all different performance points levels. A new track keeps my interest for months. New car excitement wears off in about a month I find.

When it comes to Michelin tire branding on which cars, I think it's going to be more of a common sense thing, e.g. all modern roadcars and racecars without default tire branding. The Impreza in the trailer still has generic "Racing" tire branding. So I think any cars with tire branding as part of their default livery, old racecars, and some older road cars (e.g. cars with whitewall tires by default) won't have the Michelin branding automatically.
Screenshot_20240709-115153.png

I didn’t see the video from Lucas if someone has it I can watched and translate here lol
No idea. @Freeman_Cruz said it was in the comments on the stream, so I guess something he said out loud at some point?

Sorry I don’t know how to do the multiple quote thing.
Different lines of one post? Highlight the text you want to quote and click "Reply" to put it into the Reply box (which you can do as often as you want before posting your reply) or "+Quote" to queue up that section into a multiquote (which you can do as often as you want before selecting "Insert Quotes" to insert them all) as fully formatted replies in each case:

1720540539825.png

Different posts? Do the same thing but with the same buttons in the bottom-right corner of each post:

1720540615630.png

And you can do both at the same time for multiple sections of multiple posts.

Last edited:
I will check and report back haha
No idea. @Freeman_Cruz said it was in the comments on the stream, so I guess something he said out loud at some point?

Different lines of one post? Highlight the text you want to quote and click "Reply" to put it into the Reply box (which you can do as often as you want before posting your reply) or "+Quote" to queue up that section into a multiquote (which you can do as often as you want before selecting "Insert Quotes" to insert them all) as fully formatted replies in each case:

View attachment 1371146

Different posts? Do the same thing but with the same buttons in the bottom-right corner of each post:

View attachment 1371148

View attachment 1371146

View attachment 1371148

I don't see how online racing on Eiger Nordwand will work out. It's too narrow and pretty sure it will be carnage on the hairpins.... Either way, a new track is always welcome. Looking forward to the M3, the Ruf and the Scuderia!

Well he just said that, suspension physics are more realistic and sim like, the tires are way different and the way you drive will affect massively, an overheated tire won’t work at all, but as the same of the drivers he didn’t reveal anything extra that we already heard.

Tbh will love all that but what about gave us more information about tires temp in game, but let see on July 25

Last edited:
I don't see how online racing on Eiger Nordwand will work out. It's too narrow and pretty sure it will be carnage on the hairpins.... Either way, a new track is always welcome. Looking forward to the M3, the Ruf and the Scuderia!

We race already at Tsukuba and Horse Thief Mile - can’t be much worse.
Yup! And it's also an incentive to try cars that are below 600PP . . . or 500PP . . . or even (gasp) under 400PP!

Horse Thief is an issue for a bunch of Porsche Caymans but try it in a grid full of Honda S600s sometime. You may find it quite a blast. Eiger might be a similar track experience with a bunch of 240z/Gen 1 Skylines flying about the place.

Last edited:
Back