Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,622 comments
Just imagine if they added a Touring Car, Race and Track Pack:

Would you all pay for something like this?
I mean...if they added such stuff, it would already be a thing.

Sadly, producing cars and tracks takes time. We all get the same stuff.

p77a.jpg

p48a.jpg

p47a.jpg

I wonder if the first rendition of the tunnel in GTHD prerelease footage and screenshots will be the same width as the new pitlane...

Nearly all my road cars in the game (there are some extremely expensive exceptions) have been widened to take advantage of the wider tyres, more rubber on the road equals more grip, and none of them have rubbing issues. Then again none of them are built for looks but to be fast.
Where in the game could i have seen that qidebody automatically means wider tires?

So for speed you go for widebody, no (even wider) tire,no offset?

Where in the game could i have seen that qidebody automatically means wider tires?

So for speed you go for widebody, no (even wider) tire,no offset?
Take a car and go into GT Auto and play around with some wheel options, then go widebody it and look at the same options. Almost all cars then support wheels that are much wider than the factory body width options.

For some, it makes all the difference in how they look.

I still do not know if the width makes a difference in grip characteristics.

Last edited:
You're literally chastising me for not "thinking things through" while quoting the part where I excluded disability from my comment.

So strange.

I don't find what you're saying to be true in my experience. It's rare for me to use any car that is un-catchable with no assists. This goes for high-horse RWD cars, GR1/2/3, mid-engine etc..

I do think there are some instances where anomalies make cars completely uncontrollable (curbs mostly), and have witnessed some of the fastest drivers in the world become unable to recover a car that they probably should have.

There are also a few cars in game that are just awful to drive, especially when modified, but they'd probably be handfuls in real life as well with a bunch of added power.

This is not to say that GT is extremely accurate in this regard, because real world cars often have a MUCH wider area of transition between slip and grip. Drifting cars in game should not be as mind-numbingly difficult as it is, but GT physics, whether it be weight transfer, grip physics, or a combination of both are extremely harsh when compared to these things in reality.

It does train us to be hyper-vigilant in these areas though, so for those of us that also play other "sim" titles it's good practice!
What I’m reading here is “I can catch a car… you can’t” and then you go on to say it’s real cars have a much wider area of transition between slip and grip. That’s kind of what I’m saying, sure some people have reflexes like a cat so they can do it, but that transition is exactly what I’m referring to. Grip grip grip, done!

I can slide cars through corners, it’s not the fastest way around but it’s fun and if I induce the slippage, I can control it. If I drive on the absolute limit and it goes I can’t personally catch it because by the time I feel it it’s about 1 Mississippi too late.

I’m glad you agree and disagree with me. Haha. All jokes aside, I think if you’re using a controller the game does a bit behind the scenes or it’s just simply the fact you can go full lock the other way in a split second. On a wheel to go full lock the other way you just can’t.

I have an e type jag tune, it’s a bit of a struggle with the wheel and if I’m not very careful I’ll spin out. If I run a lap with the controller, same car, it’s very difficult to make it spin out unless I do it on purpose.

Not trying to start a controller vs wheel debate, maybe they can somehow give some more info between that grip to slip. I put countersteering on as I find that actually helps bridge the gap. I’d rather run with it off, but driving something like the 917k around some fast corners like the last left at spa can be an absolute nightmare with countersteering off.

Anyway, just my opinion, I think they have some work to do to improve the feel on that area. And maybe it’s only for wheel users.

I'd also say I don't agree with the 'hard to catch oversteer' theme either, it seems very well communicated both in terms of visual cues, audio cues, and FFB. There are certainly a few uncatchable instances that revolve around MR cars but that's pretty realistic, if you get an MR past a certain point of rotation you're fighting against a lot of momentum that makes it very hard to catch without scrubbing off a lot of speed.

Other than the slightly annoying understeer 'wobble' / vibration feedback, my only real gripe is the way wheelspin is handled, especially obvious in powerful rear wheel drive cars the rear wheels act like enormous flywheels which I can imagine contributes to this 'uncatchable' oversteer feeling.

If you get enough wheelspeed that's disproportionate to your actual speed, the rear wheels become unstoppable, even if you're completely off the throttle, which is ridiculous.
Seems to be another case of I don’t agree with it, BUT this isn’t right. There it is, enough wheel spin and you can’t stop the rear wheels which is ridiculous.

Rear wheels spinning and spinning, is going to send you off the track. This is pretty much what I described. High horsepower car, grip grip grip suddenly it breaks lose and no matter what amount of letting off, braking and countersteering you do, there’s nothing to get you out of it and your car almost slow motion turns itself and fires off the track. lol

What I’m reading here is “I can catch a car… you can’t” ...
That's not what I said at all. You're implying that. I'm simply relaying my own personal experience as that is all I have to draw from.

Your post also reads like you think I'm a controller player when I'm exclusively on a wheel.

All I said was that I (and MANY others) don't have trouble catching cars, but that GT7 is ALSO unrealistically harsh when it comes to traction loss. That's all.

Just imagine if they added a Touring Car, Race and Track Pack:

BTCC
DTM
JTCC
Swedish TC
European TC
Etc.

Motegi
Ascari
Hockenheim
Etc.

Touring Car Championships
TC. Group Cup
Etc.

Would you all pay for something like this? how much? $10, $20, $30??? I would pay anything for good content. No VGT ******** and Volvo V40 type of crap.
Based on the prices other sims charge for cars and tracks, that as DLC would almost certainly cost more than the game itself does even if it's only one year of cars for each series.

No thanks even if it was cheaper though. I like my online playerbases not divided by content purchases, and (without getting into the VGT debate) my car roster unique and road car-inclusive.

That's not what I said at all. You're implying that. I'm simply relaying my own personal experience as that is all I have to draw from.

Your post also reads like you think I'm a controller player when I'm exclusively on a wheel.

All I said was that I (and MANY others) don't have trouble catching cars, but that GT7 is ALSO unrealistically harsh when it comes to traction loss. That's all.
Fair enough, but I still read that as, some of us don’t have that problem so it’s not a problem but the game still isn’t entirely realistic in traction loss.

Sorry I just can’t read into that any other way. Don’t mean anything by it, it just reads sort of contradictory to me.

Last edited:
What I’m reading here is “I can catch a car… you can’t” and then you go on to say it’s real cars have a much wider area of transition between slip and grip. That’s kind of what I’m saying, sure some people have reflexes like a cat so they can do it, but that transition is exactly what I’m referring to. Grip grip grip, done!

I can slide cars through corners, it’s not the fastest way around but it’s fun and if I induce the slippage, I can control it. If I drive on the absolute limit and it goes I can’t personally catch it because by the time I feel it it’s about 1 Mississippi too late.

I’m glad you agree and disagree with me. Haha. All jokes aside, I think if you’re using a controller the game does a bit behind the scenes or it’s just simply the fact you can go full lock the other way in a split second. On a wheel to go full lock the other way you just can’t.

I have an e type jag tune, it’s a bit of a struggle with the wheel and if I’m not very careful I’ll spin out. If I run a lap with the controller, same car, it’s very difficult to make it spin out unless I do it on purpose.

Not trying to start a controller vs wheel debate, maybe they can somehow give some more info between that grip to slip. I put countersteering on as I find that actually helps bridge the gap. I’d rather run with it off, but driving something like the 917k around some fast corners like the last left at spa can be an absolute nightmare with countersteering off.

Anyway, just my opinion, I think they have some work to do to improve the feel on that area. And maybe it’s only for wheel users.

Seems to be another case of I don’t agree with it, BUT this isn’t right. There it is, enough wheel spin and you can’t stop the rear wheels which is ridiculous.

Rear wheels spinning and spinning, is going to send you off the track. This is pretty much what I described. High horsepower car, grip grip grip suddenly it breaks lose and no matter what amount of letting off, braking and countersteering you do, there’s nothing to get you out of it and your car almost slow motion turns itself and fires off the track. lol
In the interest of trying to contribute something helpful, and apologies if I'm telling you plenty you already know, but the suspension setup vs tyre can make a big difference and may be related to the snappy oversteer that you're experiencing?

Obviously we're all aware that slicks have a much narrower window of slip before they loose grip sharply, but you can end up with some really nasty snappy handling characteristics (that are manageable with a controller but awful with a wheel) if the suspension setup isn't changed to match the tyres.

In simplistic terms, you can't ask as much from the less grippy tyres, and so you need to go softer with the suspension, else as soon as you begin to load the tyre up, it falls off a cliff as you're asking too much of it.

The comfort tyres need more 'road' style suspension settings, as a rough guide 1.5 - 1.8Hz on the springs, 4 or 5 on the roll bars, and a max camber of about 2 degrees or so.
The sports tyres can take a bit more spring rate (around 2Hz) and maybe half a degree or so more camber.
Slicks you can then push on up to say 4 degrees of camber, springs rate 2.5 - 2.8 (harder if you have a lot of downforce), 8 or 9 on the roll bars.

I thought it worth mentioning because you can have a really nice handling road car on comfort softs, you can fit the street or sports suspension and it sharpens it up nicely but stays pleasant to drive, and then you fit the fully customisable suspension and it defaults to loads of camber, excessive spring rate etc., and suddenly you have a snappy mess on the same tyres...

I didn't really think the suspension settings in GT7 were that significant until recently, a friend and I were playing and as he is a chassis engineer for a major car manufacturer and has been a race engineer in the past, he actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to suspension. He watched me do half a lap in something, tweaked a few settings and totally transformed the car into something wonderful to drive. It blew my mind :lol:

I've since applied what I've learnt from him in tuning my cars and even with my basic grasp it makes a really noticeable difference to how the car drives and also how it lets go at the limit.

Naturally it makes no difference to that ridiculous infinite wheel spin behaviour, but you really need to be a gear higher than necessary and still have enough power to blow the tyres loose for that to take effect, it really seems to be a wheel speed vs vehicle speed issue, once there's too much of a difference between the two, it's like it just detaches the wheels from the drivetrain!

In the interest of trying to contribute something helpful, and apologies if I'm telling you plenty you already know, but the suspension setup vs tyre can make a big difference and may be related to the snappy oversteer that you're experiencing?

Obviously we're all aware that slicks have a much narrower window of slip before they loose grip sharply, but you can end up with some really nasty snappy handling characteristics (that are manageable with a controller but awful with a wheel) if the suspension setup isn't changed to match the tyres.

In simplistic terms, you can't ask as much from the less grippy tyres, and so you need to go softer with the suspension, else as soon as you begin to load the tyre up, it falls off a cliff as you're asking too much of it.

The comfort tyres need more 'road' style suspension settings, as a rough guide 1.5 - 1.8Hz on the springs, 4 or 5 on the roll bars, and a max camber of about 2 degrees or so.
The sports tyres can take a bit more spring rate (around 2Hz) and maybe half a degree or so more camber.
Slicks you can then push on up to say 4 degrees of camber, springs rate 2.5 - 2.8 (harder if you have a lot of downforce), 8 or 9 on the roll bars.

I thought it worth mentioning because you can have a really nice handling road car on comfort softs, you can fit the street or sports suspension and it sharpens it up nicely but stays pleasant to drive, and then you fit the fully customisable suspension and it defaults to loads of camber, excessive spring rate etc., and suddenly you have a snappy mess on the same tyres...

I didn't really think the suspension settings in GT7 were that significant until recently, a friend and I were playing and as he is a chassis engineer for a major car manufacturer and has been a race engineer in the past, he actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to suspension. He watched me do half a lap in something, tweaked a few settings and totally transformed the car into something wonderful to drive. It blew my mind :lol:

I've since applied what I've learnt from him in tuning my cars and even with my basic grasp it makes a really noticeable difference to how the car drives and also how it lets go at the limit.

Naturally it makes no difference to that ridiculous infinite wheel spin behaviour, but you really need to be a gear higher than necessary and still have enough power to blow the tyres loose for that to take effect, it really seems to be a wheel speed vs vehicle speed issue, once there's too much of a difference between the two, it's like it just detaches the wheels from the drivetrain!
Thanks, yeah I’ve tuned it out of cars. I think it’s just some cars are worse than others even when tuned.

Funny I did a race last night, slight curve, there it goes, unsaveable, right into the wall. Watch replay, AI ever so gently touched the corner of my rear bumper. So I think that’s the endless wheel you talk about.

I did find I like no camber on the rear for old muscle cars, somebody in here pointed that out that they’d never have camber. I’ve got a high horsepower 69 Camaro on comfort soft setup that way. It’s loose but most of the time it doesn’t get away on me.

I’m sure it’s just a here and there type of thing. It’s hilarious when you see it happen to people because it literally looks like they just cranked it right off track and kept their foot in it. lol

It’s probably the two things you guys are mentioning but combined. Endless wheel spin even if you brake and grip to slip much narrower than real life. Because it’s always the back that turns you. Maybe the fronts are a tad too grippy. PC2 the front end would lock up and slide, I don’t run into that much on GT7 so that could also be it. Rear tires get going and instead of pushing you, the front tires don’t give at all so it just spins you out.

From all the tracks they could have chosen...

Well, at least the cars selection is very good.
The track is a good track especially for mid powered road cars with the switch backs.

That said I would have preferred an actual track.

We have had 2 road tracks now, a rally cross section a snow track and one race track

The track is a good track especially for mid powered road cars with the switch backs.

That said I would have preferred an actual track.

We have had 2 road tracks now, a rally cross section a snow track and one race track
We got two racetracks, Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen. A rallycross track, two fictional 'road' tracks (includes Eiger), and five layouts one which was the rallycross section you mention, the Nürburgring short course, those other two at Catalunya, and one which was nothing more than a pitlane change (Spa 24h).

They seemed to have changed their minds when it came to new layouts. I wonder if perhaps they found adding new layouts in-between track updates took too much development time?

Last edited:
I've never seen this track, so it will be new to me. What I have seen is SCUD Race's checkered flag from the seat of the F1. The car serves me well there and I look forward to running it again. Perhaps the familiar blue and orange livery will give me the confidence boost needed to win some difficult races.
The physics changes may help too.

Last edited:
I wonder if this iteration of Eiger will come with rain. I don't recall PD having added rain to any of the new tracks as of yet so this would be the first one if it does come with rain.

Honestly, I'll be a bit disappointed if it doesn't come with rain. My first memories of driving this track were in the rain and in the rain is how I learned to drive this track. There was nothing more satisfying to me than mastering those hairpins and not hitting the barriers while the road surface was 100% wet.

Last edited:
I wonder if this iteration of Eiger will come with rain. I don't recall PD having added rain to any of the new tracks as of yet so this would be the first one if it does come with rain.

Honestly, I'll be a bit disappointed if it doesn't come with rain. My first memories of driving this track were in the rain and in the rain is how I learned to drive this track. There was nothing more satisfying to me than mastering those hairpins and not hitting the barriers while the road surface was 100% wet.
This sort of road track should have a night version as well.

For nostalgia and respect, Should be...

It’s like a hillclimb, but looped. Should be good for modified cars such as these: NA MX-5, Hakosuka, S2000, R5 Turbo, E30, 240Z, Classic Porsches from 356-964, BAC Mono, 2&4. For starters anyway. :lol:

One more week, but I just need that E36. Statim.

One extra thing I'm holding out hope for if the physics changes are indeed suspension-related as has been rumoured: I really hope it makes the kart more pleasant to drive and less on a total knife-edge the moment you ask it for a change of direction.
Yeah I’m agree I rarely drive the karts. Used to love them in GT5 with Kart Space. So much fun.
From all the tracks they could have chosen...

Well, at least the cars selection is very good.
I was thinking the exact opposite of this haha. I’m all for tracks and lots of them. Autumn Ring/Mini (mini was awesome for karts, I miss that track big time), Apricot Hill (didn’t like it at first but it grew on me), Ascari (if that’s the one I’m thinking of, almost like it was in someone’s back 10 acres haha. Lots of real tracks too. They can NEVER go wrong with giving us tracks in my opinion. The more the better.

The trailer ends with mountain covered with grey rain-like clouds shot. Maybe this indicates it will have a rain? We won’t know for sure untill the update drops.
I hope PD will start using rain more. It is such a nice feature in GT7 and it is painfull that it is not used on all tracks, or at least more tracks (can understand no rain on laguna seca or willow spring, but no rain on Brands Hatch? In england? XD )

Back