Gran Turismo World Series 2024: Four Live Events, Including Montreal & Prague, and Rejigged Nations Cup

• Thread starter Famine
  • 49 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
1712238735458.png

Looks like the World Finals location has been leaked.

Last edited:
No country cap is quite hilarious. Oceania has a hell of a lot of fast people in it and it's funny that literally only one of them can make it to the finals (in the whole region) whilst five people from Spain could clean sweep EMEA if they wanted to.
Yeah, I thought that was odd too.

Montreal: Gilles Villeneuve
Praga: Brno o Apricot hill based on Czech republic
Tokio: Twin Ring Motegi.

Make it happen Kaz 🤣🤣🤣
Abu Dabi: Yas Marina

The choice of Abu Dhabi is curious because within the UAE it is Dubai that is used as a representative place for international tourism.
Abu Dhabi has grown thinking more about the enjoyment of the local inhabitants (and a few privileged ones such as former kings with legal problems for tax evasion).

But among the things that Abu Dhabi has that Dubai does not have, in this case, an F1 circuit stands out, which may have been an important factor in the decision.

Last edited:
Do all competitors use wheel and pedals for these events or can it be done with just a controller? Thanks
The live events are wheel-only, using the official Fanatec Gran Turismo DD. You can qualify with whatever you wish.

No country cap is quite hilarious. Oceania has a hell of a lot of fast people in it and it's funny that literally only one of them can make it to the finals (in the whole region) whilst five people from Spain could clean sweep EMEA if they wanted to.
Asia will be definitely an all-Japan show.

I prefer this way, we will get top 5 fastest from Europe and thats the purpose of qualification

snc
I prefer this way, we will get top 5 fastest from Europe and thats the purpose of qualification
Sure but what about all the countries or entire regions with one or two slots for their whole playerbase?

The imbalance doesn't make sense.

Sure but what about all the countries or entire regions with one or two slots for their whole playerbase?

The imbalance doesn't make sense.
it does make sense, Europe by far has largest number of world tour level players, top5 in EU is very hard and many top level drivers wont qualify

For what's it worth, I simulated which Nations Cup drivers from previous seasons would go to the live events using 2024 rules:

Using 2023/2024 Exhibition Season 3 results:
Asia: 黒猫 (takuma_202), Ryun (Ryun_Hy_)
Oceania: A. Lee
EMEA: OCT el de TDG (Twitch_Josete16), E.Cartman (Szmokiki420), Antonio Santos (ERM_AntonioSK), V. Gallo, P. Urra
North America: R. Heck, C. Roach
Central/South Americas: M. Estevez, NySoRi

Using 2023 Nations Cup results:
Asia: R. Kobayashi, T. Sasaki
Oceania: M. McEwen
EMEA: J. Serrano, K. Drumont, C. Lopez, P. Urra, V. Gallo
North America: C. Roach, K. Pounder
Central/South Americas: A. Carrazza, L. Bonelli

Note that, by using 2023 Nations Cup results, all entrants consisted of drivers from the same region outside EMEA, and how Spain dominated EMEA apart from Drumont and Gallo.

EDIT: Worth noting this does not account for returning previous season drivers, as they are given the star player status and would automatically qualify.

Last edited:
Could Sony's recent cost-cutting measures have anything to do with this? If so... welp. =/
At the same time cost changes will be negligible in change given there's four live events instead of just two (but with less hotels booked and equipment carried).

Any idea where we can get tickets for Montreal? I might try and make it to watch live!

Edit: if that's a thing for qualifiers?
I’m keeping a lookout for that, If I get info I’ll post it, probably like all events these days though ticket master. Don’t think they have posted yet the venue in Montreal

Last edited:
At the same time cost changes will be negligible in change given there's four live events instead of just two (but with less hotels booked and equipment carried).
Hm, good point.

Well, in any case, if these events are anything like last year's with live audiences, I hope they really consider putting on a Daiki Kasho music concert for the Tokyo event. Would be a total missed opportunity if they didn't.

Only question for me as I don't have PS+ anymore: When and how much singleplayer special events/races will spark from the GTWS this time. :)

A lot of the regular drivers are pissed because there's so few Nations slots now and it means not only fewer chances to qualify but less racing at the events. The World Final has always* whittled down the 24ish finalists - with nation limits - over two semi-finals and a repechage to the final 12, but if they're starting with 12 there's no need... which also means no crazy repechage :(

We might get three races at the WF, but as it looks like each of the three previous live events are one day only I suspect it'll be two or even just one grand final race. It could be that the WF is two days (or three; Toyota GR GT Cup hasn't yet been announced, and I don't even know if it's on again), so we may get a 12-point race and a 24-point race (to go with the three previous 6-point races) in Nations and three very short sprints and a final in Manu.

But the "Gran Turismo family" aspect of it can't be overlooked. Half as many finalists means a quarter as much emotion. There's plenty of English- and Spanish-speaking players (and Japanese; the ASOC Manufacturers representatives will probably be 10+ Japanese players), but if the Italian, French, or German player (or Finnish or Dutch player) wins it, they're not going to have a lot of people there to mob them at the line and celebrate with them. As noted above, without a country cap in Nations, it could be 80-100% of the EMEA finalists are Spanish...

I'm personally more bewildered at the short online season of six races. The four events' finalists in July, August, September, and probably November are decided by the end of April in Nations and the end of May in Manufacturers? Really?

Here's how I'd do it... :D

Online Season 1 - Montreal - April to May 2024

Keep the calendar as it is.
Top 12 Nations qualify for Montreal only.
Global manufacturer ranking determines the 9 12 Manufacturer finalists for Montreal only, and only the 12 NSCA representives attend the live event.

Online Season 2 - Praha - June to July 2024
Six more rounds:
Nations: 1/6, 5/6, 8/6, 12/6, 16/6, 19/6 - top 12 qualify for Praha only.
Manufacturers: 23/6, 26/6, 30/6, 3/7, [Gap for WT1], 10/7, 13/7 - Global manufacturer ranking determines the 9 12 Manufacturer finalists for Praha only, and only the 12 EMEA representives attend the live event.

World Tour 1 - Montreal - July 6 2024
Nations: Semi-final, final; Points from 6pt for 1st to 1pt for 6th. Winner qualifies for World Final.
Manufacturers: Semi-final, final; Points from 6pt for 1st to 1pt for 6th. Winning brand qualifies for World Final.

Online Season 3 - Tokyo - July to August 2024
Six more rounds:
Nations: 20/7, 24/7, 27/7, 31/7, 3/8, 7/8 - top 12 qualify for Tokyo only.
[WT2 takes place here]
Manufacturers: 14/8, 17/8, 21/8, 24/8, 28/8, 31/8 - Global manufacturer ranking determines the 9 12 Manufacturer finalists for Tokyo only, and only the 12 ASOC representives attend the live event.

World Tour 2 - Praha - August 10 2024
Nations: Semi-final, final; Points from 6pt for 1st to 1pt for 6th. Winner qualifies for World Final.
Manufacturers: Semi-final, final; Points from 6pt for 1st to 1pt for 6th. Winning brand qualifies for World Final.

Online Season 4 - World Final - September to October 2024
Six final rounds:
Nations: 7/9, 11/9, 14/9, 18/9, 21/9, 25/9 - Cumulative scores [across best 12 finishes?] in the entire 24-round season take remaining qualifying spots for World Finals (pending WT3 outcome) to make 12 finalists.
[WT3 takes place here]
Manufacturers: 2/10, 5/10, 9/10, 12/10, 16/10, 19/10 - Global manufacturer ranking [across best 12 finishes?] in the entire 24-round season determines the remaining Manufacturer finalists for the World Final, all regional representives attend the live event.

World Tour 3 - Tokyo - September 28 2024

World Final - "Mystery Location" - Some time in November/December 2024 probably
Nations: Winners of WT1, WT2, WT3, and the remaining best finishers from all four online seasons. Semi-final with 12pt for 1st down to 1pt for 12th, double-points final. Overall points leader from WT1-WF wins.
Manufacturers: Winners of WT1, WT2, WT3, partner brands, and remaining best finishers from all four online seasons. Three solo rounds each featuring points from 12pt for 1st down to 1pt for 12th, double-points team final. Overall points leader from WT1-WF wins.

1712327385990.png

Maybe a "greatest hits" exhibition season (best-attended six races in the previous 24 for each) in the gap from October 19 to whenever the World Final is.

And none of that requires any changes from a logistical point of view. While there's still a small number of finalists, there's four separate chances to get yourself into the top 12 and not just one six-race season...

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back