Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
I just did some more laps in the Supra and knocked a second off my previous time; literally exactly one second. Down to 7:57.858 with so many mistakes. I don't know if it was colder this TT session due to clouds but man that car is a handful. It wants to kill you on every exit. I turned TC on at one point and am not even ashamed to admit it. This car on RH tires is a pig; if it weren't for its top end it'd be worthless. Regardless, might not be the META this time around; there are only three Supras in the top 40.

It is, however, still my fastest time. I need more laps in the other cars, though... hasn't been fair in that regards.
Check the slots! I'm only getting two!

GT1, South America region...
I just checked, I have three: 19:00, 21:00, & 23:00.

As much as I want this race to be pretty straight forward…

Man, PD really has an opportunity to do something special here. There’s so much room for them to make this a very interesting race. Pretty much any rain that’s hard enough to warrant a change to wet tires, has the potential to make this a 2-stop

@Zorz So I tried the 2011 AMG and you are right, it's definitely quicker. Only took one lap to beat my 20 AMG time. It was hitting 168mph as I was going under the bridge on Dottinger and the 20 AMG was at 161. I can't believe how top end slow the 20 AMG is. Leave it to PD to release an updated GT3 car and make it slower than an old one (again). The absolute lack of top end might make that 20 AMG a non-starter. I can't imagine giving up 10+ mph to the Supra down that whole straight. Now I am curious about the 16 AMG.

I am bummed because I was on a flyer of a lap, up 1.5 seconds over my previous best which would've had me in the 7s but completely screwed up the second half and lost it all. Then had a bad first half but a great second half. Anyway, there's a 7 in this car for me I think.

Resized_20230612_172101.jpeg

Last edited:
Could also be the more aggressive Aero of the newer car that’s holding it back in the straights. Just speculation tho. I’m more of an MR guy myself

I expect the rain to be random per lobby, that's how it was for the Le Mans race in the GT Cup. Also free practice is different each time you run it, so it's likely gonna be a dice roll on what weather you get. Think it's just running R01 weather preset. I've had practice sessions that are pouring rain and would require wets, others that IMs would be fine on, and other settings that were dry for multiple laps.

Guess we'll see how it works out, rain in the GT Cup worked in my favor well in GT3 because evidently a lot of people don't bother practicing for rain despite it being a possibility. So many people ran slicks in my race and did horribly as a result.

Ok, so some (really) dumb questions....

I imagine people are getting dry conditions to run free practice laps given those times....is it a complete lottery, or do you just park and wait for the rain to clear?

For the race, how do we tell what the weather is like at the start? I recall doing one where qualifying was dry, and I started on slicks but it was pouring rain when the race began....

I imagine people are getting dry conditions to run free practice laps given those times....is it a complete lottery, or do you just park and wait for the rain to clear?

For the race, how do we tell what the weather is like at the start? I recall doing one where qualifying was dry, and I started on slicks but it was pouring rain when the race began....
So what I did during my GT Cup race was jump into warmup before qualifier started, check the weather radar, adjust accordingly. The surface water level percentage on the lobby menu seems possibly inaccurate.

Also at the end of qualifying I checked the weather to see what to expect. At least in the GT Cup race, the weather at the end of qualifying seemed to carry over to the race, so I knew to run IMs. Not sure if it always behaves like that.

EDIT - oh and make sure to check the wind direction on the lobby menu so you know which way the clouds are roughly gonna move, to avoid changing to IMs or Wets if the rain is moving away from the track

Last edited:

Definitely a lottery.
As far as trying to get a no rain goes, I jumped into the free practice and checked weather radar as my lap began. A restart keeps the same weather so if you mess something up off the bat, a restart is fine.

To get different weather i clicked all the way out of manu page back to sport mode page and back in to see if the weather roulette was favorable.

It is also important to watch which direction the weather is traveling.
After about 15 tries and thinking I’d never get dry, I hit the jackpot with no weather on the radar whatsoever.

GL

Did some testing in both the 458 and Corvette, way off the pace as expected. I'm okay for the first half of the lap but after the Karussell I really struggle. Just too many corners and sectors where I can't remember when I need to slow and when I can be flat out. On my own it's ok but in a race with others I would become a liability.

As I've never raced the B variant of Sardegna with Gr3 cars, I'm going to skip tomorrow and just concentrate on practicing that layout for Saturday instead. Much more chance of a good result and less chance of causing a pileup.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

Last edited:

As others have said, it's a crapshoot. I had to exit and re-enter many times to get a dry track. Worst part is, when you start on a dry track, are having a great lap, and six minutes in it starts raining!

I really wish you could choose what you want before a practice lap: dry, IM level mid-tier wet, full wet, or even just dynamic. Of course, I want a dry lap to try and set a purple time. But I also want to practice in the wet as well! So I'll likely be doing the same as above until I get some rain.

On the race, you gotta be quick. As soon as you can, do the 'free run' before the race starts and check the radar. That's the only way to know what the weather will be like... at race start anyway.

Did some testing in both the 458 and Corvette, way off the pace as expected. I'm okay for the first half of the lap but after the Karussell I really struggle. Just too many corners and sectors where I can't remember when I need to slow and when I can be flat out. On my own it's ok but in a race with others I would become a liability.

As I've never raced the B variant of Sardegna with Gr3 cars, I'm going to skip tomorrow and just concentrate on practicing that layout for Saturday instead. Much more chance of a good result and less chance of causing a pileup.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
Just remember, unless you're a king alien, no one does a good lap around Nord. Your best laps is just basically your least worst lap. :lol:

Last edited:
When they started to do weather races the weather in the race mimicked the qualy weather.

The absolute lack of top end might make that 20 AMG a non-starter. I can't imagine giving up 10+ mph to the Supra down that whole straight. Now I am curious about the 16 AMG.
The ‘20 AMG is so nice on the rest of the track though. Other than the lack of straight line speed, do you feel the ‘20 AMG is as good or better than the others?

I did a little testing in the wet on inters and it was very predictable and relatively easy to drive too. Much better than a lot of GT3 cars in the rain. Still very difficult to get a mistake free, fast lap though.

The surface water level percentage on the lobby menu seems possibly inaccurate.
What is happening here, I'm pretty sure, is that the surface water percentage is correct for the exact moment the race loads. But then the weather system, like with fuel, is also acting between that loading frame and the actual start of the race (and for GTWS this time gap is very long as it includes the grid walk). So if it's raining at the beginning, you can get a race that is "0%" surface water on frame one but inters-ready by the time the race actually starts.

Looking forward to this next round of the Manufacturers cup, quick Q, has anyones GR3 and GR4 cars that you own and used in the Nations cup series, gone missing after it ended?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread

The ‘20 AMG is so nice on the rest of the track though. Other than the lack of straight line speed, do you feel the ‘20 AMG is as good or better than the others?

I did a little testing in the wet on inters and it was very predictable and relatively easy to drive too. Much better than a lot of GT3 cars in the rain. Still very difficult to get a mistake free, fast lap though.
I've only tried three cars, for my three manufacturers on my three accounts because for some reason PD won't let you test with any car at any point, regardless if you've picked a Manu or not.

Anyway, you can see from my screenshot the 20 AMG isn't on it. My best time in the 20 AMG was an 8:02.002. Honestly, the 11 was not only quicker on the straight but the rear seemed more planted; although, it had more understeer.

Depending on how much time I have tomorrow, I might run the 20 AMG anyway as it's my 2 account so I am not worried about it. But, the stopwatch doesn't lie. Super bummed because I really like the 20 AMG otherwise (it's the reason I picked AMG for Manu!) and had good success with it at Grand Valley.

I think the McLaren is the sleeper of the group. I only did three laps in it, whereas the Supra I did probably eight. There's a mid 58 or better for my in that car for sure.

Looking forward to this next round of the Manufacturers cup, quick Q, has anyones GR3 and GR4 cars that you own and used in the Nations cup series, gone missing after it ended?

Are you sure you owned them? When you sign up with a Manu, you're provided with a Gr3 and Gr4 car from that manufacturer. Once the series is over, they are 'taken back' so to speak and you lose them. If you purchase them from the dealership, you'll have them forever.

Last edited:

The cars you get loaned from your chosen manufacturer get taken back at the start of the next series. I haven't seen cars I've actually bought disappearing.

The cars you get loaned from your chosen manufacturer get taken back at the start of the next series. I haven't seen cars I've actually bought disappearing.
Only if you choose another manufacturer. If you don't the cars stay in your garage until you choose a different one. If you don't sign up at all, the cars are still in your garage.

I turn up TC if it's rainy. I usually run online with TC 1, but depending on how bad it is I ramp it up. One spin out that could have been saved from an additional level of TC in crappy conditions should save more time than would have been gained otherwise, is my thinking.

I'm not a high level driver though, so if you can handle it in the rain go for it, that's just personally what I run. I use TC 1 online for the same reason, risk-reward. Offline I run no TC.

If you're struggling in the wet, don't hesitate to turn the TC on/up. I know people say using the assists is slower than not but if you're not confident driving the car, that in itself will cost you more time, especially if you lose control!

I personally go to TC3-5 whenever it starts getting wet, depending on how bad the conditions are, and I'm in A+. Would much rather survive!

Depends on what tires you're on at the time. If you're on RH tires and it starts to rain then TC probably would help. If you're on IM or W you shouldn't really need it. Although countersteer assist @ weak can also help a bit depending on the car you're in.

ok, so I think I'm somewhat ready for this, haha! Did 3 laps this morning on a dry track, and managed an 8:03 with an optimal of 7:56. A bit off the pace of some of my A+ colleagues (nice lap @D_Dragline), but I think this will be a matter of survival rather than pace if we have rain.....

I'm trying to learn the wet line, starting to get it down, but I'm wondering - at the karussell and kleine karussell, is it still faster to take the banked turn on the inside? I haven't had the chance to try it just yet, gonna try it next time I'm on. But generally I've been sticking to the higher points of the track Was thinking since the camber is so high on those turns, and since they're concrete, maybe the water drops off quick letting you keep more grip than usual when taking the insides while it's wet. I'm driving RWD (RC F)

Took the outsides last I tried and man it's slow.

So I made an accidental discovery regarding the 20 AMG. I was doing some wet weather driving (bar was up to the 2nd rung) and while going down Dottenger I was short shifting to avoid aquaplaning. That's when I noticed rather than 161mph while going under the bridge, I was hitting 166! So I did some more laps in the dry, and got the same results.

So, I'd recommend not winding it out to redline, rather shifting at 7k rpm. There may be a better shift rpm, but when I shifted at 7k I was getting ~5mph down the back straight. Game changer for this car on this track IMO.

Under eight mins!

Resized_20230613_212950.jpeg

Last edited:
Is the amount of water at the start of the race random? The pre-race screen said there was 0% water on track so I picked RH, however once we crossed the start line the track became wet. Myself and a bunch of other players ended up quitting. Do we just have to pick IM and hope for the best?

Is the amount of water at the start of the race random? The pre-race screen said there was 0% water on track so I picked RH, however once we crossed the start line the track became wet. Myself and a bunch of other players ended up quitting. Do we just have to pick IM and hope for the best?
What kind of weather did you have in qualifying? I could be wrong, but my understanding is that dynamic weather races begin with the same weather pattern that qualifying did.

Thus if it's actually raining, the 0% surface water will quickly change.

Last edited:
What kind of weather did you have in qualifying? I could be wrong, but my understanding is that dynamic weather races begin with the same weather pattern that qualifying did.

Thus if it's actually raining, the 0% surface water will quickly change.
That's good to know, i'll give the next slot a go and see what happens. In qualifying the outlap was wet, but by the time the actual lap started there was a dry line.

Back