Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
I’m not even worried about those Aliens in GT1. Granted, they’ll be in higher splits than me. But in an actual qualifying session where there is tire wear, and their session will be ruined if they go for broke, I’m expecting those same guys to be in the high 7:50’s low 8’s come game time. I know the ring tends to bring out a lot of dudes that are particularly fast at that course, but even at my bottom-feeder A+ level, I expect the fastest qually times in my lobby will be 8:06-:07. And even then, I’m not particularly worried about those guys.
Yeah. I'm not at all worried about going up against the aliens, but I often gauge my performance by how far off I am from their times. As a rule of thumb, on most 2-minute tracks I can often get within 3-5 seconds off the top times. Extrapolating that out to this 8-minute track, I'd be aiming to be 12-20 seconds off, or 8:03-8:11. Maybe that's possible. I did manage to get my best lap down to 8:14 last night. Optimum is now in the 8:12s, so it seems there is still some room to improve there, anyways.

I'm going to focus most of the rest of my practice on race conditions, though -- doing full-length custom races with 16 cars and rain. I feel like knowing how to drive the car in traffic with a full tank and tires wearing is going to be more important than the absolute fastest lap time.

As an aside, I wish the game had a way to filter the global rankings based on your bracket (GT1/2/3) or DR level. For the last Manufacturers Cup race, because of the Gr.3 / Gr.4 split, it was fairly easy to tell where I ranked among the racers I'd be up against. I liked that.

As an aside, I wish the game had a way to filter the global rankings based on your bracket (GT1/2/3) or DR level. For the last Manufacturers Cup race, because of the Gr.3 / Gr.4 split, it was fairly easy to tell where I ranked among the racers I'd be up against. I liked that.
You might find this website useful then as they offer graphs of free practice times versus DR with the ability to filter by specific cars. For example, this is what they have for Saturday.

The data doesn't tend to appear until the day before the race or so though.

Last edited:
Any thoughts about dampers and tyre wear? I stiffened them for the Porsche im Nurburngring and I think tyre wear increased significantly but not sure if that much

For those who have done races at the ring before, are there any quirks in how qualifying is done owing to the length of the track?

We have 12 minutes to qualify. If it works like other races, I would expect that gives us time for two laps: 1. the out lap, and 2. one hot lap. The out lap doesn't count towards qualifying, so we get one shot at the hot lap. Is that usually how it works?

Or do they somehow get the out lap to count for qualifying, too, on this track?

Besides the 12-minute timer, are there any additional time limits on when you have to complete the hot lap? That is, as long as you start the hot lap before the 12-minute mark, are you guaranteed to be allowed to finish it? Or do you have to finish it within some amount of time (eg. 90 seconds) after the first car completes their hot lap?

I like to leave a good buffer between myself and the car ahead when I'm qualifying to avoid getting into any battles on the hot lap, which usually means being one of the last to leave the pits. I'd hate to not have my hot lap count because I was too late starting it.

Any thoughts about dampers and tyre wear? I stiffened them for the Porsche im Nurburngring and I think tyre wear increased significantly but not sure if that much

Yeah, stiffening them up will definitely give you more tire wear, but might make the car slightly less comfortable to drive. That’s what I did with the Megane Trophy at Brands a few weeks ago, and it gave me about 2 more laps.

I think the maximum wait time after qualy finishes it's around 3 minutes... But it only start counting when the original 12 minute time expire AND someone crosses the line.

It's tight on this course alright so better not wait too much.

Stiffer suspension will increase tyre wear as the tyres will be doing more work trying to absorb the bumps, kerbs and cars pitch/roll. Nurburgring is tricky as you need a soft setup over the kerbs and bumps, but then you also need a bit of stiffness to help with the corner to stop the body roll.
Damper/springs would be soft and if anti roll bars were available I would run them stiffer.

For those who have done races at the ring before, are there any quirks in how qualifying is done owing to the length of the track?

We have 12 minutes to qualify. If it works like other races, I would expect that gives us time for two laps: 1. the out lap, and 2. one hot lap. The out lap doesn't count towards qualifying, so we get one shot at the hot lap. Is that usually how it works?

Exactly this. The overtime after the time limit on Nordschleife rounds is also very forgiving, so you can safely stay in the pits for quite a while waiting for a nice big gap to run in if you'd prefer that. At least, assuming they don't pull mid-qualifying weather shenanigans on us like some of us got at the Nordschleife round last season.

So I got the Acura (I'm from the states, it'll always be an Acura to me!) down to an 8:08.3. That's almost four seconds slower than my McLaren time! Ouch. The NSX feels okay, but it's just not fast. Thus far the TT times are:

650S: 8:04.5
RSR: 8:04.9
Viper: 8:06.8
NSX: 8:08.3

NSX is also pretty brutal on tires. Doesn't matter where I put the BB, the left-rear is hanging on to a sliver of while by the end of three laps.

I kinda wish I had picked a different Manu for the #4 account, just so I could try different cars in different races. If I could change, I'd go Ford. I've picked Ford a few times in the past, and even last time Nord was on the table but I've always run the LM II. Would've been cool to try out the Stang or 18 GT. Oh well, too late now...!

I'm also not a fan of the tuning, even if it is just some suspension settings. I am not good/consistent enough to know whether or not my tweaks are doing anything. Make a couple changes and run a lap... it's slower... was it slower because of the changes or was it slower because I biffed a few of th 87,000 corners?

So it is... almost time to roll!

Yeah, stiffening them up will definitely give you more tire wear, but might make the car slightly less comfortable to drive. That’s what I did with the Megane Trophy at Brands a few weeks ago, and it gave me about 2 more laps.
Softening them gave you 2 more laps?
Stiffer suspension will increase tyre wear as the tyres will be doing more work trying to absorb the bumps, kerbs and cars pitch/roll. Nurburgring is tricky as you need a soft setup over the kerbs and bumps, but then you also need a bit of stiffness to help with the corner to stop the body roll.
Damper/springs would be soft and if anti roll bars were available I would run them stiffer.
I felt stiffness helped cornering, like having more understeer, maybe cause in front was a bit softer, or maybe it was placebo.

So with anti roll bars not available what would you do with damper? keep it as stiff as possible while maintaining a good tyre wear?

So I got the Acura (I'm from the states, it'll always be an Acura to me!) down to an 8:08.3. That's almost four seconds slower than my McLaren time! Ouch. The NSX feels okay, but it's just not fast.
I thought it was just me being slow (ok, that’s a big reason) until I checked the comparison times on gt-engine for my DR. The NSX is an absolute snail round the Ring.

I felt stiffness helped cornering, like having more understeer, maybe cause in front was a bit softer, or maybe it was placebo.

So with anti roll bars not available what would you do with damper? keep it as stiff as possible while maintaining a good tyre wear?
Stiffening the suspension IMO helps with tire wear. But this is completely subjective, and ultimately depends on how PD modeled their suspension characteristics.

The reason I feel going stiffer helps with tire wear, IS because of less body roll. With less compression, you’ll get more body roll, which in turn….in high g-force corners (the kind that kill your tires)…the exaggerated body roll will —> transfer more weight to the tires, increase tire wall flex —-> which increases the contact patch —-> which causes more friction —-> which builds more heat —-> which leads to faster tire degradation.

But like I said, this is all just my opinion.

If I were you, I’d just tune for whatever will make you the most consistent. It’s the small slides over the course of an 8 minute lap that will kill your tires.

Last edited:

Stiffening the suspension IMO helps with tire wear. But this is completely subjective, and ultimately depends on how PD modeled their suspension characteristics.

The reason I feel going stiffer helps with tire wear, IS because of less body roll. With less compression, you’ll get more body roll, which in turn….in high g-force corners (the kind that kill your tires)…the exaggerated body roll will —> transfer more weight to the tires, increase tire wall flex —-> which increases the contact patch —-> which causes more friction —-> which builds more heat —-> which leads to faster tire degradation.

But like I said, this is all just my opinion.

If I were you, I’d just tune for whatever will make you the most consistent. It’s the small slides over the course of an 8 minute lap that will kill your tires.
Also engine displacement needs factoring into this too.
Porsche is a RR cars so with the engine been over the rear, naturally you will have a more oversteery car. In the Porsche you will probably want a stiffer setup all round to help control that body roll as Yard_sale mentions, but also the cars pitch under braking.
Where as in a FR (Nissan GTR) I’m running a more softer setup in the rear but stiffer front.
Also driving style affect how you setup a car too. People like understeer more, or oversteer.
PD should have really given us the Anti Roll bars & Natural Frequency option to change too. Having those two options just allows you have a little more control on how the car rides.

This is quite A handy guide. Bump/Fast Bump is your Compression and Rebound/Fast Rebound is Expansion on GT7. Spring/Wheel Rate is Natural Frequency.
Dampers/Anti-roll bars

• Bump – Bump (or compression) damping controls how quickly the damper compresses and controls how the wheel moves upwards. The wheel will move upwards during cornering on the outside wheels, under braking on the front wheels and under acceleration on the rear wheels. Soft damping (0) allows the damper to compress quickly; stiff damping (10) resists the damper compressing making it stiffer.
  • Fast Bump – Fast bump is the same as high speed bump (or compression) damping. It comes into effect over bumps or kerbs out on circuit and alters how quickly the damper compresses over these sections. Again low numbers make the damper softer and higher numbers make the damper stiffer.
  • Rebound – Rebound damping controls how quickly the damper is able to extend. The damper will need to extend after the wheels have been compressed or during cornering on the inside wheels as the car leans, under braking on the rear wheels and on acceleration on the front wheels. Low numbers make the damping soft, allowing the damper to extend quickly with low resistance. High numbers stiffen the damping and resist the damper extending.
  • Fast Rebound – Fast rebound is the same as high speed rebound damping. It comes into effect over bumpy sections after the damper has been compressed rapidly and needs to extend equally quickly to maintain contact with the road surface. Low numbers allow the damper to extend quickly and high numbers resist the extension.
  • Spring or Wheel Rate – The spring rate is the stiffness of the coil spring. This determines how stiff the ride of the car is and plays a part in the cornering stiffness of the car. The higher the number the stiffer the coil spring and the lower the number, the softer the coil spring. Wheel rate is the effective spring rate present at the wheel. It uses the installation ratio of the spring to determine the stiffness at the wheel. Due to the leverage that the wheel has over the spring, the wheel rate is often softer than the coil spring that is installed.
  • Anti-roll Bar Stiffness (ARB) – The anti-roll bar, ARB or sway bar stiffness refers to the spring stiffness of the anti-roll bar. The anti-roll bar only comes into effect when cornering and stiffens the front or rear axle in a cornering situation and prevents roll. The higher the value for the ARB, the stiffer the anti-roll bar is. The lower the number, the softer it is.
They is a lot more details in this article about suspension that’s useful.
https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/sim-racing-suspension-set-up-guide/

———————————————————————

Just done a quick practice race with R03 as the weather to anticipate any weather for tomorrow.

So I initially went out on softs even thought it was slightly raining as the radar showed it was due to stop fairly quickly. When I hit the Nordschleife the grip just went. Could hardly keep the car going forward. I reset the lobby and went on Imters. The rain stopped as I predicted about 1/4 into my lap, but the track remained wet for 2 laps. Lap 2 was a strange lap as some parts were really wet and some just dipped under the inter line on the track wetness guide. Lap 3 I pitted as it fully dried out.
If it rains tomorrow it’s going to be defiantly the one who is the bravest to gamble on the right tyre.

If there's a small amount of rain, with the length of the track I can see there being a "no good options" pit choice between surviving the GP section and the first part of the Nordschleife in the wet on dry tyres, or having to deal with burnt out inters on a drying second half of the Nords. That'll be fun.

I visited the Ring today and took my friend's MR2 for a spin so I can give you guys some real life insights for the GTWS round tomorrow;)

In a moment of pure irony, we had almost planned to go on saturday, which would mean i'd miss the Manu Cup round at Nurburgring, to go to the Nurburgring!

I forgot this week is Manufacturers at N24, not Nations at Le Mans, so I've spun the Gr.3 randomizer wheel for this round.
1697259569296.png

Last edited:
I found an Asian stream and it is fixed weather again, same weather in 2 different slots. Qualifying is dry, then in the race it rains for about the first 2.5 laps, then there's a big dry patch, and maaaybe rain at the end for GT1. I haven't been able to find anyone streaming GT1 yet, the first slot should be about now right?

Last edited:
How good is the autopilot when in traffic? As a controller guy I'm quite bad at tyre saving so the best strategy would be to let autopilot do the outlap in about 9:30 and then take over at Döttinger Höhe.

That would translate to the slow group (me) that does 3 laps, 1 lap wet, change to hard, tiptoe 2nd lap, profit last lap?
Nah. It's wet for the entire 3 laps of your race. Nowhere near dry enough for changing to be an option. Your only choice is between IMs and wets, because it's close to the border for most of the race.

Apparently I was way off and GT1 doesn't start for another couple hours, so, guess I'll learn after I wake up...

Another fun fact: Because of the rain, even high-level GT2 races are ending just a couple minutes before the hour. Guess they don't care so much about the slots fitting after all...

I found an Asian stream and it is fixed weather again, same weather in 2 different slots. Qualifying is dry, then in the race it rains for about the first 2.5 laps, then there's a big dry patch, and maaaybe rain at the end for GT1. I haven't been able to find anyone streaming GT1 yet, the first slot should be about now right?
How hard was the rain? Full wets, or inters? Or was it like Suzuka where it was a coin flip.

Can’t wait! Probably gonna skip the first oceanic slot so I can get a few hours of rest, but I’ll be there at 0500 West Coast time for the second slot!!

Another fun fact: Because of the rain, even high-level GT2 races are ending just a couple minutes before the hour. Guess they don't care so much about the slots fitting after all...
Group 1 will only be a max of 2 attempts because it will easily overrun in to the 2 hour mark with a 15-20 min qualy, countdowns, intro, and a 90-100min drive.

That's assuming you finish. I would put high dollar values on people leaving to get the second slot if the first isn't going as planned.

Last edited:
Group 1 will only be a max of 2 attempts because it will easily overrun in to the 2 hour mark with a 15-20 min qualy, countdowns, intro, and a 90-100min drive.

That's assuming you finish. I would put high dollar values on people leaving to get the second slot if the first isn't going as planned.
If it’s intermediate conditions for 3/4 laps, they’ll make the next slot…barely

Back