Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
Yea, people don't use common sense. One of the qualis, during the out lap, I had a Lambo right in front of me who was struggling. I was on his arse for half of a lap, often bumping his rear bumper as he was braking a bit too early. It was never enough to push him off, but he was obviously impeding me and basically costing both of us pace. He refused to just let me go... and, again, this was the OUT LAP! Bro, just move over so our fast lap doesn't get messed up!

I was getting pretty frustrated and getting to the point I would've pushed him before the fast lap if I had to (don't judge, it wouldn't been better for both of us). But, he binned it at the first carousel so it was a non-issue.

Ghosting can be distracting, but it's better than contact and/or being slowed by another driver. As I said before, everyone being invisible would be the best! If everyone was respectful - especially on an out lap - it'd be a moot point. But, when it's time for your one and only hot lap, I can't blame people for not pulling over; they're trying for their best time as well. The ghosting in races can be a crap-shoot as you never know when that car will unghost, but if everyone was perma-ghosted for quiali that would be a non-issue.

I just walked passed my rig and got sad this race is done. :(
I would like the ghost, or better, invisible in qualies. My race yesterday was a perfect example. Coming onto the final straight, a car had binned and I had to take evasive action. This was the worst possible place to go into the grass because of that loooong straight. Even if he was a considerate driver, and I don't fault him, there was nothing he could do to get of my way in that moment.
I timed my pit exit to give me ~9 seconds to go through the outlap and had everything set up. I was last out by about a minute. (I had posted an 8:09 in free practice, so I had the pace for this lobby.) Could have Qd in the top 5. Who knows, maybe if I get through turn 1 in a better position, I don't get stuck behind traffic where I didn't feel great about my passing chances in the wet and I kept slowly falling back from the leaders.

(I know, I know, there is always a 'what if'!)

I feel, we practice a lot with ghosts, I've gotten pretty good about ignoring them when they are right on top of me!

Edit: 9 minutes! not 9 seconds!

Last edited:
This is really annoying and I tend to exit the pit last, but yesterday it was me who made a mistake, slowed down too much in the straight to leave more space in front of me and the guy behind caught up few meters after me, i was hoping to be faster but no, he was so I end up off road to let him pass lol... worst qualify ever for me.

But given these problems, I wouldn't like ghosting, that would make the game less realistic. I'd even eliminate ghosting from the races completely.

I'd rather it have either: more realistic penalites/damage without ghosting in qualifiers OR the current state of the game with ghosted qualifiers. But given the caveat of "the game as it currently exists", qualifiers are a clownshow in the series races.

Like i don't have enough words for how not OK it is to get very obviously intentionally punted (he did one of those comical movie chase side slams on me on a straight and pushed me off into the grass) and then be the one to get an actual official time penalty for track limits in the current quali system.

I’d be all for solo qualifying. Had a dude in the Lago Maggiore nations race sideswipe me as I got a better exit on the back straight on my final hot lap. Ruined what would’ve been a faster lap for me and top 5 start. Luckily, he didn’t use all the right tires in the race, and I ended up on the podium anyway.

Just checked the leaderboards and I somehow managed to weasel my way to number 1 for the Toyota lads. Though I can't imagine it'll hold until the end of this season I'll take it for now 😂

IMG_2445.jpg

I’d be all for solo qualifying. Had a dude in the Lago Maggiore nations race sideswipe me as I got a better exit on the back straight on my final hot lap. Ruined what would’ve been a faster lap for me and top 5 start. Luckily, he didn’t use all the right tires in the race, and I ended up on the podium anyway.
Same thing here for this weeks race, guy who punted me qualified 4th, started on slicks, went straight into the wall and DNFed. I was in P3 by the entry to turn 2. Karma.

I dunno. I like the qually as is. The way I see it….you win some, you lose some. I was 2 for 2 yesterday in catching someone up despite leaving at least an 8 second cushion. First race the guy let me through. Second race I wasn’t so fortunate and spun. You can be damn sure if someone was an outright jerk about not letting me through, I’ll remember it come race time.

But if anything, I enjoy the extra layer of realism, and the heightened pressure it adds to perform. I will say though, that PD taking away slipstream in qualifying was a god send

Good to be back after having to skip Rd2 for IRL reasons!

Found myself door 12 in mostly the same lobby I've been racing lately, which I'm sure is too fast for me, but the rain chaos helped. @OutlawQuadrnt was there and suffered from that very chaos on L1 partly because of me (sorry, I had no idea Jara was re-joining ahead)

My Qualy was OK, but in this lobby only good enough for Q7. Laps 1 and 2 were chaos and I had bumper damage front and back. I proceeded to pit at the end of L2 for Inters, which was perfect. That got me out of the slow, risky, tight pack and I was able to go much faster than the train. I caught them up, passed some, switched to softs, died at the pit exit but was still P2 after all that!

In P2 I put a wheel out of the dry line and had a massive spin, had to reverse back on track and carry on...losing loads of time but ultimately staying in P3. After the last stop I rejoined in P4 behind Outlaw but he was nursing older tyres so a couple of laps later I was able to pass cleanly and take the podium.

P3 and 320 points, which is a new record for me in Manufacturers. Super super happy with that 😁 Livery originally made by @Michelin Man , but I did adapt it a little bit, added a couple of Spider-Man logos to arguably make it worse 🤪

View attachment 1295478View attachment 1295479View attachment 1295480

It's rare I see someone using a livery I've made, so I'm very humbled ❤️. Plus you've not ruined it all, you personalised it with your own touches, looks superb. My liveries are there to be used after all :cheers:.

Also you pedal the RX-V very well, given your MR background it suits you well. It's a nice car to drive isn't it? Plus a great soundtrack to boot.

Next race is the Nations Cup Gr. 1 (Saturday 21st October):

Track: 24 Heures du Mans Racing Circuit

- Useable Tire & Types: Racing: Soft
 - Required Tire Type Change: None
 - Minimum No. of Pit Stops: None
Fuel Consumption Rate (Qualifier): Off | Tire Wear Rate (Qualifier): 2x [GT1 League] / Off [GT2 & GT3 Leagues]
 - No. of Laps: 17 [GT1 League] / 8 [GT2 & GT3 Leagues]
 - Fuel Consumption Rate (Final): 2x | Tire Wear Rate (Final): 2x
 - Mechanical Damage: Heavy [GT1 League] / Light [GT2 & GT3 Leagues]

What car will most of you use and with 2x on Fuel/Tire Wear will the faster Group C cars use more fuel and wear out the tires faster than the more modern Hybrid LMP1/Hyper Cars (LMH) for instance, they can't keep up with the Nissan R92CP on the long straights and with possible rain, wouldn't the LMP1/LMH be overall better or faster?

I'm in GT3, so that means 8 laps, think I have to do a custom race and see how long fuel and tires last.

Edit.

With the Porsche 919 Hybrid, Fuel and Soft Tires will hold for this race, only need to pit if it starts to rain and I won with over 6 sec, but that was against AI and not people.

Last edited:
I think that more scripted rain for Le Mans is a near certainty given the suspiciously simple tire rules. It sounds like the 4WDs have a big advantage in the rain so I'll probably go in that direction.

I dunno. I like the qually as is. The way I see it….you win some, you lose some. I was 2 for 2 yesterday in catching someone up despite leaving at least an 8 second cushion. First race the guy let me through. Second race I wasn’t so fortunate and spun. You can be damn sure if someone was an outright jerk about not letting me through, I’ll remember it come race time.

But if anything, I enjoy the extra layer of realism, and the heightened pressure it adds to perform. I will say though, that PD taking away slipstream in qualifying was a god send
The nature of the Nurburgring pretty much guaranteed anyone outside the A+ splits was going to catch somebody during their hot lap if they didn't crash. There was around a minute pace differential from pole to 10th in my A/S split.

Ideally each driver would get a separate qualifying session like iRacing, but if they're going to continue doing this one shot qualifying format with all the cars there should be some sort of timed release from the pits, similar to how superpole at the 24h of Spa works, or how qualifying at the world tour events works? :confused:

I had some time to try out some cars for this week's Nations Cup earlier today. Only in the ideal conditions of the "free practice" feature of the event, for now.

Here are the results so far, FWIW:

TestCarLapsOptBestAvgWorst
1R92C43:25.0503:29.4493:33.4793:41.962
2C933:24.9623:26.628NANA
3919 Hybrid33:29.0103:29.1093:31.5103:33.036
4LM5533:27.3573:28.3723:28.8363:29.227
5GR01033:28.0103:29.2473:34.8133:41.205
6787B53:24.7953:25.3893:27.9163:30.737
7XJR-943:24.6653:24.8213:26.9333:27.702
8962C53:24.3313:25.3053:26.5613:27.385
9908i43:27.2123:28.0403:30.2003:34.435
10McLaren VGT33:28.5203:29.7833:30.3513:31.215
11Hyundai VGT33:25.1843:25.8393:27.1893:28.700
12R92C43:23.2573:26.0383:26.4273:28.151

Unsurprisingly, my fastest optimal time is in the Nissan R92C, but I really struggle to drive it consistently. It is a lot of car. I just can't seem to keep it in the track limits. Next closest were the Porsche 962C, Jaguar XJR-9, and Mazda 787B.

My best lap was in the Jaguar XJR-9. I found it and the Porsche were both a much more manageable drive than the Nissan.

Of the 4WD cars that I tried, I was fastest in the the Hyundai VGT, which surprised me. But it is a pleasant drive, that one.

I'd like to take the Sauber Mercedes C9 for another spin as it was one of first cars I tried. I feel like now that I've done some more laps on the track, if I were to drive it again, my optimal time would probably be better.

I've only done a couple full length 8-lap GT2/3 races -- with the 962C and GR010 -- but from what I can tell, tires and fuel are not going to be an issue. They both easily last the entire race. Looks like another no-pitter unless there is a change in weather during the race.

I think that more scripted rain for Le Mans is a near certainty given the suspiciously simple tire rules. It sounds like the 4WDs have a big advantage in the rain so I'll probably go in that direction.

I was going to say, if the weather is scripted that will play a big part in car selection. As I mentioned in an earlier post.....6 second difference in laptime in the wet for me.

It's rare I see someone using a livery I've made, so I'm very humbled ❤️. Plus you've not ruined it all, you personalised it with your own touches, looks superb. My liveries are there to be used after all :cheers:.

Also you pedal the RX-V very well, given your MR background it suits you well. It's a nice car to drive isn't it? Plus a great soundtrack to boot.
Thank you, sir! I do like the Mazda very much! Since GTS it has always been one of my favourite cars, handling wise. I have never used it in FIA or GTWS because I'd have to deal with the Gr4 AWD Atenza and my brain can't drive that kind of car to save my life.

When PD made GT1 a Gr3 exclusive, I knew I had to go with Mazda for this exhibition season.
(Il probably go back to my beloved and extremely good looking 😉 McLaren in the future, but I'm glad I had this opportunity to try the Mazda for an extended period of time)

Man, I am not seeing myself enjoying this next race. Le Mans is one of my least favorite tracks to drive already between the track limits, off-camber corners, long straights throwing off my rhythm, and then you throw in the extra variables of Gr.1 cars that I haven't driven, need to buy to practice properly with, possible rain, setup... But, as a newly minted top 10 US player (lmao) I'll tough it out for everyone's sake.
I see some noise around the Hyundai N, but I just tried the Mazda LM55 briefly and really liked the handling. Not sure about straight-line speed, but maybe downforce tweaks would help with that.

Nations Race next week looks very glitchy! I’ve watched a few of the TT laps and the Mclaren requires you to run the race with your foot on the brake as it’s trick the hybrid, and the Porsche 919 people are running the lowest aero to gain more straight line speed but it’s not as fast in the corners. Didn’t watch the group c laps as I have zero interest in using them.

Be interesting to see how people set up the cars for this…

I had some time to try out some cars for this week's Nations Cup earlier today. Only in the ideal conditions of the "free practice" feature of the event, for now.

Here are the results so far, FWIW:

TestCarLapsOptBestAvgWorst
1R92C43:25.0503:29.4493:33.4793:41.962
2C933:24.9623:26.628NANA
3919 Hybrid33:29.0103:29.1093:31.5103:33.036
4LM5533:27.3573:28.3723:28.8363:29.227
5GR01033:28.0103:29.2473:34.8133:41.205
6787B53:24.7953:25.3893:27.9163:30.737
7XJR-943:24.6653:24.8213:26.9333:27.702
8962C53:24.3313:25.3053:26.5613:27.385
9908i43:27.2123:28.0403:30.2003:34.435
10McLaren VGT33:28.5203:29.7833:30.3513:31.215
11Hyundai VGT33:25.1843:25.8393:27.1893:28.700
12R92C43:23.2573:26.0383:26.4273:28.151

Unsurprisingly, my fastest optimal time is in the Nissan R92C, but I really struggle to drive it consistently. It is a lot of car. I just can't seem to keep it in the track limits. Next closest were the Porsche 962C, Jaguar XJR-9, and Mazda 787B.

My best lap was in the Jaguar XJR-9. I found it and the Porsche were both a much more manageable drive than the Nissan.

Of the 4WD cars that I tried, I was fastest in the the Hyundai VGT, which surprised me. But it is a pleasant drive, that one.

I'd like to take the Sauber Mercedes C9 for another spin as it was one of first cars I tried. I feel like now that I've done some more laps on the track, if I were to drive it again, my optimal time would probably be better.

I've only done a couple full length 8-lap GT2/3 races -- with the 962C and GR010 -- but from what I can tell, tires and fuel are not going to be an issue. They both easily last the entire race. Looks like another no-pitter unless there is a change in weather during the race.
My method of car selection involves elimination:

1. Top speed test (until braking point of first chicane).
All Group C cars default DF (800/1400).
All other cars minimum DF (surprisingly most cars also at 800/1400 except the TS030/908 at 1000/1400, the Nismo LM 800/800 and the GR010 700/800).
Any car that cannot reach 340 km/h is eliminated. Even if you have better handling and acceleration you won't make up the time lost on the straights.
That leaves the 5 Group C, McL VGT, Alpine, Hyundai and LM55.

2. Group C test - I did an extensive comparison last time we had Le Mans Daily C. The Jag and Porsche is just slow. C9 is best handling and braking but eats rear tyres. So it boils down to R92CP (better top speed and braking) vs 787B (better traction, handling, fuel and tyre wear).

3. Rain test - Group C is terrible. McLaren and Alpine better but RWD so still sketchy. Hyundai and LM55 just flies in the wet due to 4WD and smooth power delivery.

4. Final selection.
If the race is mostly dry, go with R92CP or 787B. But if it rains you'll be in a whole world of trouble.
McLaren is fast coming out of turns due to hybrid but managing it over the whole race is stressful. Also has weird high speed understeer. Not great in the wet either.
Alpine is basically McLaren without hybrid. Also not great in the wet.
Hyundai and LM55 are the choice for people who are not comfortable in the wet. Acceleration is sluggish compared to above but if it rains traction reigns supreme. Hyundai has top speed but heavier so worse handling/braking/tyre/fuel. Mazda has lower top speed but better handling/braking/tyre/fuel.

In the end it's just a matter of how much of the race will be wet and how confident you are driving Group C in the rain. Unless you're an alien it's better to go conservative with the 4WD cars I think. In GT1 it's a 1 stop race if dry so the tyre/fuel differences aren't going to matter from car to car. Consistency is.

Also I haven't touched the suspension settings at all but I doubt it will make too much difference to the pecking order. Downforce is the main setting here.

This could be one of the most interesting races in a while if PD gets the weather right. Can't wait to see how it all plays out :)

Last edited:
My method of car selection involves elimination:

1. Top speed test (until braking point of first chicane).
All Group C cars default DF (800/1400).
All other cars minimum DF (surprisingly most cars also at 800/1400 except the TS030/908 at 1000/1400, the Nismo LM 800/800 and the GR010 700/800).
Any car that cannot reach 340 km/h is eliminated. Even if you have better handling and acceleration you won't make up the time lost on the straights.
That leaves the 5 Group C, McL VGT, Alpine, Hyundai and LM55.

2. Group C test - I did an extensive comparison last time we had Le Mans Daily C. The Jag and Porsche is just slow. C9 is best handling and braking but eats rear tyres. So it boils down to R92CP (better top speed and braking) vs 787B (better traction, handling, fuel and tyre wear).

3. Rain test - Group C is terrible. McLaren and Alpine better but RWD so still sketchy. Hyundai and LM55 just flies in the wet due to 4WD and smooth power delivery.

4. Final selection.
If the race is mostly dry, go with R92CP or 787B. But if it rains you'll be in a whole world of trouble.
McLaren is fast coming out of turns due to hybrid but managing it over the whole race is stressful. Also has weird high speed understeer. Not great in the wet either.
Alpine is basically McLaren without hybrid. Also not great in the wet.
Hyundai and LM55 are the choice for people who are not comfortable in the wet. Acceleration is sluggish compared to above but if it rains traction reigns supreme. Hyundai has top speed but heavier so worse handling/braking/tyre/fuel. Mazda has lower top speed but better handling/braking/tyre/fuel.

In the end it's just a matter of how much of the race will be wet and how confident you are driving Group C in the rain. Unless you're an alien it's better to go conservative with the 4WD cars I think. In GT1 it's a 1 stop race if dry so the tyre/fuel differences aren't going to matter from car to car. Consistency is.

Also I haven't touched the suspension settings at all but I doubt it will make too much difference to the pecking order. Downforce is the main setting here.

This could be one of the most interesting races in a while if PD gets the weather right. Can't wait to see how it all plays out :)
It just so happens the 787B is available now (at an inflated price of 3,300,000 Cr.), and the R92CP is due next in Hagerty's rotation (down to the launch price of 2,000,000 Cr.). The Jag will be disappearing momentarily (and likely will be gone by the time you see this), while the Sauber is also available now. Unless you already have the 962, forget about it - it's not due again until December, so if it's not the upcoming special pick, you won't be able to get it.

Did some more testing and I found that in the dry I'm a tad over 2 seconds a lap faster in the R92CP than the LM55. I lowered the Mazda's DF all the way and it still drove reasonably well and allowed it to get up to 214mph on Mulsane which is respectable, and RPM to spare for slipstreaming.

However, as I tested before......in moderate rain the Hyundai (and I assume the Mazada would be similar here) was 6 seconds a lap faster. I also softened the Mazda's suspension a bit to make it more compliant over the kerbs (didn't try that in the Nissan yet). I'm torn now as the Mazda also feels generally easier to drive as well.....and I feel like they're going to HAVE TO include rain in this race.

I tried a few of the cars in some 3-lap races with rain yesterday, and the results confirm what many of you have already been saying.

CarHeavy rain (R07); Wet tiresModerate rain (R04); Intermediate tires
Porsche 962 C12:41.16611:04.156
Toyota GR01012:39.15111:08.562
Mazda LM5512:11.12511:02.304

The LM55 is a monster in the rain. The heavier the rain, the bigger the advantage, it seems.

In moderate rain, the LM55 still wins, but not by much. In fact, moderate rain seems to be something of an equalizer between the Gr.C cars and the others.

I chose the Porsche somewhat arbitrarily as representative of the Gr.C cars. I'm sure they all vary to some degree, but I don't really feel it is worth the time to try them all.

I'm curious how the Hyundai VGT would do here. I didn't test it yet because I don't own one. But I think I'll pick one up later and give it a go.

I'm convinced we are going to get rain in the race, so I'm leaning toward going with the LM55 or Hyundai as my go-to car for the rest of the week. We'll see how the Hyundai compares when I do my rain tests.

Chaos and mayhem sums up America slot 1 in GT2. Hard to tell if it was dirty driving or stupid driving, but got spun out, rammed out or pushed out all race long. Went from Q3 to P8 running IM the whole race. There was a time or 2 when full wets would have been better. Oh well, may run again.
It seems this was a common theme the whole day.

I only had time for the last slot in GT2. It was a mess. I should’ve had P8, but made a mistake in Galgenkopf on lap 3 and got passed for a P12 finish. Talk about frustrating when only having one shot at the race.

I'm curious how the Hyundai VGT would do here. I didn't test it yet because I don't own one. But I think I'll pick one up later and give it a go.
So I did, and it turns out the N 2025 (a.k.a Hyundai VGT) is even better for me in the rain than the LM55. In the moderate rain on IMs, I finished my 3-lap test in 10:54.754 (versus the LM55's 11:02.304). In the heavy rain with Ws, 12:03.275 (versus 12:11.125).

It seems I've found myself a car for the week.

Next up, tuning and practice custom races.

I tried a few of the cars in some 3-lap races with rain yesterday, and the results confirm what many of you have already been saying.

CarHeavy rain (R07); Wet tiresModerate rain (R04); Intermediate tires
Porsche 962 C12:41.16611:04.156
Toyota GR01012:39.15111:08.562
Mazda LM5512:11.12511:02.304

The LM55 is a monster in the rain. The heavier the rain, the bigger the advantage, it seems.

In moderate rain, the LM55 still wins, but not by much. In fact, moderate rain seems to be something of an equalizer between the Gr.C cars and the others.

I chose the Porsche somewhat arbitrarily as representative of the Gr.C cars. I'm sure they all vary to some degree, but I don't really feel it is worth the time to try them all.

I'm convinced we are going to get rain in the race, so I'm leaning toward going with the LM55 or Hyundai as my go-to car for the rest of the week. We'll see how the Hyundai compares when I do my rain tests.
What are the Hyundai and LM55 like in dry weather? You just know that PD will throw in dynamic weather and if it is dynamic weather does that influence your car choice?

I was looking forward to this race, but the more information I keep finding out about the more I’m losing interest in it for some reason.

What are the Hyundai and LM55 like in dry weather? You just know that PD will throw in dynamic weather and if it is dynamic weather does that influence your car choice?
I find both cars very pleasant to drive in dry weather. Both do well in the corners, but lack the top speed of the Gr.C cars, at least with the default settings.

The Hyundai was the fastest car for me outside of the Gr.C cars. I was hitting a 3:25.184 optimal time with it versus 3:24.xxx for most of the Gr.C cars.

I couldn't get the LM55 around the track as fast. I was only hitting 3:27.357 optimal time with it. But that was with the default settings. I think somebody mentioned earlier in the the threat that they had managed to tune it to be close to the R92C, though,
so it might just be a matter of tweaking the settings to get there.

As for dynamic weather, my plan is to check in on this thread first thing on Saturday morning to find out what happened in the earlier Asia and Europe slots. If the races are predominantly dry, I might decide to switch to a Gr.C car and try to get some practice in before
the races start in the Americas.

I find both cars very pleasant to drive in dry weather. Both do well in the corners, but lack the top speed of the Gr.C cars, at least with the default settings.

The Hyundai was the fastest car for me outside of the Gr.C cars. I was hitting a 3:25.184 optimal time with it versus 3:24.xxx for most of the Gr.C cars.

I couldn't get the LM55 around the track as fast. I was only hitting 3:27.357 optimal time with it. But that was with the default settings. I think somebody mentioned earlier in the the threat that they had managed to tune it to be close to the R92C, though,
so it might just be a matter of tweaking the settings to get there.

As for dynamic weather, my plan is to check in on this thread first thing on Saturday morning to find out what happened in the earlier Asia and Europe slots. If the races are predominantly dry, I might decide to switch to a Gr.C car and try to get some practice in before
the races start in the Americas.

On the LM55 try dropping the downforce as low as it will go (this will get you more top end speed) and soften the dampers 4-5 clicks on compression and up the rebound 2-3 clicks and see how that works for you. The softer compression will let it run over the kerbs a bit more without upsetting the car as much. See how that feels for you.

I love Le Mans and Group 1 cars, so this should be fun.

My fastest FP lap is a 3:18.1xx in an aero tuned Hyundai. I can get the R92CP around in a mid 18, but that was with only some very perfunctory aero tuning, so I suspect 17s are possible. The 787B is also good for a high 18.

The LM55 will do a low 19 for me, but the settings are right on the edge for my driving style and I don't think it will be a stable option for me in-race.

I can't get any of the hybrids below 3:21.

I was very surprised to find that there is around 5 seconds per lap to be gained just by adjusting downforce.

I expect I will end up in the Hyundai as it's quick in the dry and should be much better to manage in the wet if that proves to be a factor.

Back