Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
The one thing that would have made the Daytona race interesting would be cars powerful enough to require throttle feathering in the turns.

Instead we get a race where the fastest way to qualify is to drive in the infield with two outside wheels on the yellow lines.

Where the early leader is an open top VGT car.

Ok, sure.

e: also, no liveries is disappointing

Last edited:
In classic PD fashion, the next nation round uses no new content and is gr.3 cars on Daytona Oval.
Ok then.

It's a custom BoP too, meaning that the cars are rental only and not from your garage.
Not only that, not all Gr.3 cars are actually available - the R30 Super Silhouette is noticeably absent.

For cars with variation liveries, the cars liveries are pre-chosen too:
  • Suzuki VGT: Black
  • RX-Vision GT3 Concept: Mazda Spirit Racing Gray
  • GR Supra RC: Variation (GR010 Livery)
  • GT-R '18: Regular
  • 991 RSR: Regular
  • RC F '17: Anest Iwata
  • Beetle: Variation (Global Touring Car)
  • R.S.01 GT3: Regular
  • M6 GT3: Variation (2019 M Power)
  • AMG GT3 '16: Variation (Bio-Circle)
  • Viper GT3-R: Variation (2014 Pirelli World Challenge)
  • Huracan: Regular
  • 650S: Regular
  • GT by Citroen: Variation (2016 WRC)
  • Genesis Gr.3: Variation (2020 WRC)
  • NSX Gr.3: Variation (Castrol)
  • 4C Gr.3: Regular
  • Peugeot VGT: Regular
  • F-Type Gr.3: Regular
  • WRX Gr.3: Variation (2020 WRX STI NBR)
  • RCZ Gr.3: Variation (#76 Blue)
EDIT: With that in mind, since I am on Nissan-only run this season and I have only two cars left in Gr.3 (R30 SS and R34 GT500) I have to run the R34 GT500 at Daytona. This means I'll run the R30 Super Silhouette in the Manufacturers finale.

Last edited:
VGT haters shouldn’t look at the early Daytona leaderboards.

Also, SR off for that round and no penalties for wall collisions. Seems like a recipe for ramming riding carnage. Nascar!

200w.gif

This Daytona race seems awfully wonky looking at the qualifying. Everyone in the top 650 times so far are all the same car and pretty much just hugging the outside wheels in the double yellow line at the bottom all the way around the track. I can't even try to make that happen on controller but I'm guessing that tactic is not going to work in the race hopefully, lol.

I tried out a few of the Gr.3 cars there in free practice now that it's open before giving the Suzuki meta a go. For the first few laps, I couldn't understand how the top-ranked times were getting under 50s, when I was consistently just barely breaking into high 51s. It's not like there are that many places on the track to eek out another 2s. Then I discovered the car has a 7th gear. :dunce: Brrrr! That thing goes!
I did the same thing. That's probably the exact reason it's so massively OP - it was tested without using 7th gear since there's plenty of revs left in 6th, likely by letting the AI drive it and adjusting the BoP until it could drive all of the cars within a few tenths of each other.

is it likely they disable that car before the race? If not it will be funny to see the split between knowing about the car/knowing about the car AND the gear/knowing neither.

is it likely they disable that car before the race?
Who knows? They did pull some cars out the first round of the Nations Cup when they were found to be faster than the rest, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

What other Gr.3 cars have a seventh gear? I think the Beetle does. Do any others? Anyone checked to see if they are unusually fast?

Who knows? They did pull some cars out the first round of the Nations Cup when they were found to be faster than the rest, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

What other Gr.3 cars have a seventh gear? I think the Beetle does. Do any others? Anyone checked to see if they are unusually fast?
It's not just that it has more gears, it's that it needs to be aggressively short-shifted to stay in its powerband. It quickly runs out of steam when you rev it out, even before you get to the redline. If you don't use 7th gear because you haven't yet redlined in 6th, you'll be sitting in 6th at high revs and not making any power, and the Suzuki is actually about the same pace as the rest of the field in those conditions. Using 7th drops the revs back into its powerband and suddenly it's got a massive power advantage over the rest of the field.

It's likely that when PD were making the BoP's for this brain-dead race, it used the AI to test the BoP, and the AI doesn't make any consideration for cars with weird power bands when shifting them, and just shifts them all at redline, so PD got fooled by their own creations due to the Suzuki powerband and the AI's driving being so out of sync. End result is this nonsense.

Not sure what difference it makes. If not the Suzuki, then something else will just become the META. Cream rises to the top and all that. Whether it's the Supra, Peugeot VGT, Ford GT, or whatever. For a track like Daytona, there aren't a lot of variables that could help one car make up for the lack of top end... it's basically just top speed.

Maybe the Suzuki is really bad on tires opening the gateway for other cars that have better tire wear? That is the only other variable here.

But enough about that... who's running laps at Catalunya?

Last edited:
Barcelona looks like we need lots of left front tire management 😂
Just did a practice lobby and kept smoking the left front on the 911.
Need to shift bb to the rear for me this race. Did 10m-10m-13h but prolly could have made the RM last another lap or two if I had known how bad front left was going to wear.

Last edited:
I did a test GT1 Catalunya run yesterday going 12M/8H/13M with the McLaren, running the Mediums right down to the front left having practically nothing left.

I'm honestly wondering if extending the Hard stint and doing a one-stop might be faster considering how long the pit loss is, and how much my lap times were dropping off towards the end of the Medium stints.

Unfortunately, I came in too hot for my second pit stop and slammed into the wall so I don't have an accurate gauge on how long it took me. 😅

I'm notoriously bad on tires, but at catalunya in the genesis (also bad on tires) I was able to do 9H/12M/12M. I also tried a 21H/12M run (testing only the first 21 laps). My overall times were slightly faster on the two-stop, but similar enough to be within any margin of error for consistency.

But, oh my, I ran out of front tire around lap 18 on the hards and those last laps were bleeding time and confidence. The meds lasted about 10-11 laps, but the last laps on bad med tires weren't nearly as bad as those hards. So likely a two-stopper for me. And start on hards to repair the inevitable aero damage I seem to always take on lap 1!

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Nations’ Cup R4 – Special Stage Route X

GT2 League - B / S Lobby – 125pts to winner

As I said at the end of my Nations’ R3 write-up…

[Round 4 at SSRX] is as valid a motor race as anything else we’ve had so no complaints, but now that I’ve got 3 half-decent scores, I’ll be less inclined to go into a race which could end well or end with a Talladega-with-restrictor-plates-style Big One and suffer a DR and SR hit into the bargain.

Now, I’ll admit that I only decided to enter this round when I found out that DR and SR were unaffected, meaning that the above didn’t apply and that I literally had nothing to lose – except, perhaps, my own sanity – by racing this round. However, you’ll find no anti-oval snobbery here – this race requires a skill set just like any other, it is however a different skill set so perhaps the scores for this round would be mixed up a little compared to what would normally be expected.

Preparation? I – er – didn’t do any. Actually, that’s a lie – I entered Daily Race A a few times a couple of weeks ago when it was an abridged version of this race, which did give me some practice in bump-drafting, avoiding crashes on the turns and when to hit the nitrous button for maximum effect. However, I hadn’t even been out in Free Practice mode in the week or so leading up to the race. I had decided on the AMG or Bugatti, while noting that the Pagani was quickest on its own but not very stable in high-traffic conditions. I wanted something that could – ahem – assert its position in a draft-train a little more robustly. The fact that the cars were in a special state of tune also meant that fuel/tyre runs in Custom Race with garage cars were a bit pointless.

No possibility of poor weather here, of course, so no need to get up early and look at CEEFAX page 360 – er, I mean look in this thread – for weather conditions. However, I look at early races on streams and I note that the AMG is the meta car with only a few Chirons to be seen. Perhaps something happens to the Bugatti on Lap 2 that makes the Mercedes the better choice? OK, go with that then.

Qualifying starts and, for once, I could understand those who rush for the pit exit – it’s probably not common knowledge that slipstreaming isn’t turned on in qualifying, if it had been then getting into a train would have been the only way into a decent grid position. I set off a few seconds after the rest and, pausing only to make a mental note of the change-up points for each gear in mph as I accelerate away from pit lane, set off for a 2-lap (60 km!) run which is high in speed and low in drama – and, some would argue, pretty pointless as the 11km run to turn 1 would determine position more than the grid, and even then there were still 3 more straights to get through. Anyway, Q10, last in a group of 8 AMGs – only 0.35s off the first of that group, but we were all 0.5s off two Paganis that headed the field. After me came a Bugatti, another 2 AMGs, a Mazda, a further Bugatti and a Nismo brought up the rear. In fact the most interesting thing in qualifying was the fact that I couldn’t fail to notice the number emblazoned proudly on the front of my car.

It was 16.

I don’t think I’ve ever been lowest-ranked in a GTWS race before – had I somehow lucked into the basement of a higher ranked lobby than my usual races? A quick look at the points on offer confirmed that, yes, I had – 125 is 10 or 15 points more than the winner gets in my usual races. It would be quite the haul if I could get up the sharp end somehow. This is where the different skills required from a normal road race may work in my favour – if we had been at, say, Sainte-Croix or Big Willow then I would have made sure I left some chalk lying around for someone to draw round my body after this field has absolutely murdered me, but here all bets could be off.

So to the race itself. Races here can be split into 3 phases: The acceleration phase (start to T1), the slipstreaming phase (T1 to beginning of the last turn) and the boost phase (last turn and run to the finish line).

As we drove to the start I was concerned that the AMG wouldn’t have the acceleration of the Bugatti behind me – when I had driven the Chiron it had been very easy to work up to 1st at T1 from 12th on the grid. I needn’t have worried however since as soon as we got control of the cars I was off up the field – draft, pull out and pass, draft, pull out and pass, rinse and repeat. It seems that a few folk didn’t realise that even when these cars are accelerating up to top speed they are still going very fast so you can gain by slipstreaming even in the acceleration phase. We passed one of the Paganis that had been left out to dry just past the crest of the hill and the other Huayra, predictably enough, gets sideways in T1 and falls back. By this time I am P3 and bump-drafting P2 while P4 is equally willing to play trains - together, we pull out to pass P1 and they have no choice but to let us all by and rejoin the world’s quickest queue in P4.

From there it was a case of staying in the draft at all costs and making sure that you are still high in the order at the last turn while never letting yourself be suckered into P1. The bumper of the car in front looked more battered by the minute – good job SR was turned off, did anyone get the CRB in any of these races I wonder? – but I was determined to just bump and run and bump and run all the way to the final turn. I could see on the radar repeated examples of cars coming up behind us, pulling out then immediately falling back – it really was a case of draft or die.

Eventually the last turn was upon us and I was still P2. Follow the leader into the turn, wait until we are settled then hit the button – I move to the inside, the leader tries to cover me but I squeeze through on the inside and I’m away! Out of the turn, just a quick glance at the radar as I enter the tunnel and there’s no-one in radar range! I’m going to win! I’m going to win! I’m going to… finish second to that car that came up my outside right on the line. Beaten by 0.008s (eight one-thousandths of a second!). Ah well – keeps up my record of P2s (all of my qualifying scores in Nations’ Cup are now from P2 finishes, and my sole Manufacturers’ outing resulted in P2 as well!). The driver who led going into that final corner ended up in P5. This P2 was worth 120pts which is a nice replacement for my lowest-scoring round, the 92 from my P5 at Lago Maggiore – so well worth doing in the end. And yes, I do still feel like I slipped away from that race through the fire exit with 120 points hidden up my pullover while the higher-ranked drivers were scratching their heads wondering where the points had gone to.

I really didn’t fancy a re-run as I would probably have been back in my normal ranking lobby where even winning wouldn’t have matched the points I already had.

While I am still glad that SR was unaffected, that result makes me wish that DR had been turned on – but who in their right mind would hold an oval race with SR off but DR on? It’d make for a right mess.

[Looks at Round 5 rules]

Oh. Ah well, I’ll give it a go – after all, at least the SR is off at a track where it’s going to be really hard, nay impossible, to dive-bomb anyone…

PS: For sale – Job lot of front and rear bumpers for 2020 Mercedes-AMG Black Series. Only used once. May require slight correction to paint finish. All enquiries c/o Polyphony Digital.

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Nations’ Cup R4 – Special Stage Route X

GT2 League - B / S Lobby – 125pts to winner

As I said at the end of my Nations’ R3 write-up…

[Round 4 at SSRX] is as valid a motor race as anything else we’ve had so no complaints, but now that I’ve got 3 half-decent scores, I’ll be less inclined to go into a race which could end well or end with a Talladega-with-restrictor-plates-style Big One and suffer a DR and SR hit into the bargain.

Now, I’ll admit that I only decided to enter this round when I found out that DR and SR were unaffected, meaning that the above didn’t apply and that I literally had nothing to lose – except, perhaps, my own sanity – by racing this round. However, you’ll find no anti-oval snobbery here – this race requires a skill set just like any other, it is however a different skill set so perhaps the scores for this round would be mixed up a little compared to what would normally be expected.

Preparation? I – er – didn’t do any. Actually, that’s a lie – I entered Daily Race A a few times a couple of weeks ago when it was an abridged version of this race, which did give me some practice in bump-drafting, avoiding crashes on the turns and when to hit the nitrous button for maximum effect. However, I hadn’t even been out in Free Practice mode in the week or so leading up to the race. I had decided on the AMG or Bugatti, while noting that the Pagani was quickest on its own but not very stable in high-traffic conditions. I wanted something that could – ahem – assert its position in a draft-train a little more robustly. The fact that the cars were in a special state of tune also meant that fuel/tyre runs in Custom Race with garage cars were a bit pointless.

No possibility of poor weather here, of course, so no need to get up early and look at CEEFAX page 360 – er, I mean look in this thread – for weather conditions. However, I look at early races on streams and I note that the AMG is the meta car with only a few Chirons to be seen. Perhaps something happens to the Bugatti on Lap 2 that makes the Mercedes the better choice? OK, go with that then.

Qualifying starts and, for once, I could understand those who rush for the pit exit – it’s probably not common knowledge that slipstreaming isn’t turned on in qualifying, if it had been then getting into a train would have been the only way into a decent grid position. I set off a few seconds after the rest and, pausing only to make a mental note of the change-up points for each gear in mph as I accelerate away from pit lane, set off for a 2-lap (60 km!) run which is high in speed and low in drama – and, some would argue, pretty pointless as the 11km run to turn 1 would determine position more than the grid, and even then there were still 3 more straights to get through. Anyway, Q10, last in a group of 8 AMGs – only 0.35s off the first of that group, but we were all 0.5s off two Paganis that headed the field. After me came a Bugatti, another 2 AMGs, a Mazda, a further Bugatti and a Nismo brought up the rear. In fact the most interesting thing in qualifying was the fact that I couldn’t fail to notice the number emblazoned proudly on the front of my car.

It was 16.

I don’t think I’ve ever been lowest-ranked in a GTWS race before – had I somehow lucked into the basement of a higher ranked lobby than my usual races? A quick look at the points on offer confirmed that, yes, I had – 125 is 10 or 15 points more than the winner gets in my usual races. It would be quite the haul if I could get up the sharp end somehow. This is where the different skills required from a normal road race may work in my favour – if we had been at, say, Sainte-Croix or Big Willow then I would have made sure I left some chalk lying around for someone to draw round my body after this field has absolutely murdered me, but here all bets could be off.

So to the race itself. Races here can be split into 3 phases: The acceleration phase (start to T1), the slipstreaming phase (T1 to beginning of the last turn) and the boost phase (last turn and run to the finish line).

As we drove to the start I was concerned that the AMG wouldn’t have the acceleration of the Bugatti behind me – when I had driven the Chiron it had been very easy to work up to 1st at T1 from 12th on the grid. I needn’t have worried however since as soon as we got control of the cars I was off up the field – draft, pull out and pass, draft, pull out and pass, rinse and repeat. It seems that a few folk didn’t realise that even when these cars are accelerating up to top speed they are still going very fast so you can gain by slipstreaming even in the acceleration phase. We passed one of the Paganis that had been left out to dry just past the crest of the hill and the other Huayra, predictably enough, gets sideways in T1 and falls back. By this time I am P3 and bump-drafting P2 while P4 is equally willing to play trains - together, we pull out to pass P1 and they have no choice but to let us all by and rejoin the world’s quickest queue in P4.

From there it was a case of staying in the draft at all costs and making sure that you are still high in the order at the last turn while never letting yourself be suckered into P1. The bumper of the car in front looked more battered by the minute – good job SR was turned off, did anyone get the CRB in any of these races I wonder? – but I was determined to just bump and run and bump and run all the way to the final turn. I could see on the radar repeated examples of cars coming up behind us, pulling out then immediately falling back – it really was a case of draft or die.

Eventually the last turn was upon us and I was still P2. Follow the leader into the turn, wait until we are settled then hit the button – I move to the inside, the leader tries to cover me but I squeeze through on the inside and I’m away! Out of the turn, just a quick glance at the radar as I enter the tunnel and there’s no-one in radar range! I’m going to win! I’m going to win! I’m going to… finish second to that car that came up my outside right on the line. Beaten by 0.008s (eight one-thousandths of a second!). Ah well – keeps up my record of P2s (all of my qualifying scores in Nations’ Cup are now from P2 finishes, and my sole Manufacturers’ outing resulted in P2 as well!). The driver who led going into that final corner ended up in P5. This P2 was worth 120pts which is a nice replacement for my lowest-scoring round, the 92 from my P5 at Lago Maggiore – so well worth doing in the end. And yes, I do still feel like I slipped away from that race through the fire exit with 120 points hidden up my pullover while the higher-ranked drivers were scratching their heads wondering where the points had gone to.

I really didn’t fancy a re-run as I would probably have been back in my normal ranking lobby where even winning wouldn’t have matched the points I already had.

While I am still glad that SR was unaffected, that result makes me wish that DR had been turned on – but who in their right mind would hold an oval race with SR off but DR on? It’d make for a right mess.

[Looks at Round 5 rules]

Oh. Ah well, I’ll give it a go – after all, at least the SR is off at a track where it’s going to be really hard, nay impossible, to dive-bomb anyone…

PS: For sale – Job lot of front and rear bumpers for 2020 Mercedes-AMG Black Series. Only used once. May require slight correction to paint finish. All enquiries c/o Polyphony Digital.
I am impressed with how much you managed to write on a two lap circle race.

I'm notoriously bad on tires, but at catalunya in the genesis (also bad on tires) I was able to do 9H/12M/12M. I also tried a 21H/12M run (testing only the first 21 laps). My overall times were slightly faster on the two-stop, but similar enough to be within any margin of error for consistency.

But, oh my, I ran out of front tire around lap 18 on the hards and those last laps were bleeding time and confidence. The meds lasted about 10-11 laps, but the last laps on bad med tires weren't nearly as bad as those hards. So likely a two-stopper for me. And start on hards to repair the inevitable aero damage I seem to always take on lap 1!
What’s the pit loss time?

I haven’t been able to do any tire testing for this…and my work schedule is only going to allow me 1 day of practicing before this race. Even though this isn’t quite the tire-shredder track that interlagos is, the multipliers will line up to be similar in strategy to the interlagos round last year.

I take it that a splash of fuel will be required with x2 fuel?

What’s the pit loss time?

I haven’t been able to do any tire testing for this…and my work schedule is only going to allow me 1 day of practicing before this race. Even though this isn’t quite the tire-shredder track that interlagos is, the multipliers will line up to be similar in strategy to the interlagos round last year.

I take it that a splash of fuel will be required with x2 fuel?
huh, I don't really remember, maybe 20ish secs? Or someone else could chime in. You will need fuel in GT1, I didn't take fuel until my pit at lap 21 in either the one-stop or two stop test. And then only needed about 10 laps-worth to get to 33. I was burning fuel like nothing since no amount of saving would get you 33 laps.

It’ll be an interesting one. From what I’m gathering, even the MR cars are having front tire-wear issues. So that means the FR cars will struggle even more - regardless of what tire they’re on. I reckon most people will be in a 2-stop

I’m in 458 and I can get about 12 laps on the mediums. I will push my first stint with the mediums, but I’m going to extend my RH stint so I can get a nice 10 laps when I go back to mediums. I’m really good on the RH tires so hopefully I can make up some time on them.

Well....finally figured out why the Suzuki crushing everything else @ Daytona 😂

My closest next best time was with the GT-R 500 and it was a full 2 seconds slower per lap. Can't see how you could take anything else in the race, even with the slipstream won't the other cars run out of RPMs?

My closest next best time was with the GT-R 500 and it was a full 2 seconds slower per lap. Can't see how you could take anything else in the race, even with the slipstream won't the other cars run out of RPMs?
Yeah. Unless some other cars are dramatically better on fuel/tires so they can pit fewer times than the Suzuki, I can't see any reason why anybody would pick anything else.

Judging from the fuel and tire multipliers, I fully expect -- though I haven't test yet -- that the GT2/3 league races will be a no-stopper for all the cars, so pitting isn't going to be a consideration. Maybe things are different in GT1.

FWIW, IIRC, my best non-Suzuki time was in the Ford GT '18 Race Car. Still, not anywhere close to the Suzuki.

Yeah. Unless some other cars are dramatically better on fuel/tires so they can pit fewer times than the Suzuki, I can't see any reason why anybody would pick anything else.

Judging from the fuel and tire multipliers, I fully expect -- though I haven't test yet -- that the GT2/3 league races will be a no-stopper for all the cars, so pitting isn't going to be a consideration. Maybe things are different in GT1.

FWIW, IIRC, my best non-Suzuki time was in the Ford GT '18 Race Car. Still, not anywhere close to the Suzuki.

Figured I'd give it a test run. It looks like the Suzuki can run 17 laps with no fuel savings and it's right rear tire is basically fried (for me anyway) the other 3 are fine and could run the whole race no stopping. The computer AI car was a Peugeot VGT, and it pitted right after me.....I was @ 4% fuel, he was 3%. Total race time for 30 laps was 25:07.233

....make of that what you will :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
If I were PD, I'd change the Daytona race to use any of these cars for a NASCAR style event:
  • Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
  • Silvia TC (with the ducktail spoiler)
  • Superbird vs Charger
  • Wicked Fab Ford 51 (Hudson Hornet look alike)

Or if they want to make it Gr.3, then at least allow us to use the rarely used Silhouette. The Suzuki would've been interesting but idk what the meta is now and I don't feel like testing lest the race will just be a demolition derby and hours of my life wasted.

This season started with lots of promise with longer races and dynamic weather but feels like PD just gave up towards the end just when things start getting good. Pretty much GT7 in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Odd they removed the Suzuki as it doesn't really matter. As I said before, the community will now find a new META and there will be 16 of them instead of the Suzuki. Not sure what difference it makes...

Like when they removed the F40 from round 1. The grid went from a probable 16 F40s to 16 Ford GTs. Six of one, half dozen the other IMO.

Last edited:
If I were PD, I'd change the Daytona race to use any of these cars for a NASCAR style event:
  • Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
  • Silvia TC (with the ducktail spoiler)
  • Superbird vs Charger
  • Wicked Fab Ford 51 (Hudson Hornet look alike)

Or if they want to make it Gr.3, then at least allow us to use the rarely OP Silhouette. The Suzuki would've been interesting but idk what the meta is now and I don't feel like testing lest the race will just be a demolition derby and hours of my life wasted.

This season started with lots of promise with longer races and dynamic weather but feels like PD just gave up towards the end just when things start getting good. Pretty much GT7 in a nutshell.
It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Daytona in the schedule. I thought they will make a race with that new Charger, that has been added recently, and we gonna paint them with some cool old school NASCAR liveries. But no... It's just odd GT3 race...

Back