Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
Like when they removed the F40 from round 1. The grid went from a probable 16 F40s to 16 Ford GTs. Six of one, half dozen the other IMO.
Not strictly true, I used the Mercedes-AMG and finished 3rd, the winner was also running it.

I'm wondering if for Daytona it's not going to be so simple. What if the Supra is becoming the Meta because it's got the lowest drag. Will it still be best in the slipstream when drag isn't so critical, quite likely most other cars will keep up with the pack no problem. The question then could be which gives the best slingshot finish for the sprint to the line?

Or which uses the least fuel, giving a faster pitstop and a chance to jump to the front of the pack? Maybe another car gives a better slipstream than the Supra, with a bit of bump drafting that might make it faster overall in the race. Currently the Supra is 0.166s faster than the best NSX, over 30 laps that's a mere 4.98s total.

More to the point, how the hell do we test any of these theories and pick the right car? Guess we don't, unless you're in the Asia Pacific region, we can watch the early streams instead.
It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Daytona in the schedule. I thought they will make a race with that new Charger, that has been added recently, and we gonna paint them with some cool old school NASCAR liveries. But no... It's just odd GT3 race...
I'm wondering if this is lawyers at work. Sony might be worried about Nascar suing their arse off if they let it turn into a NASCAR race full of unlicensed NASCAR liveries.

I'm wondering if for Daytona it's not going to be so simple. What if the Supra is becoming the Meta because it's got the lowest drag. Will it still be best in the slipstream when drag isn't so critical, quite likely most other cars will keep up with the pack no problem. The question then could be which gives the best slingshot finish for the sprint to the line?
I agree. Now that the Suzuki is gone, it could make a lot of cars competitive. Whatever the meta ends up being, there are going to be at least a handful of cars that can keep up in slipstream. That wasn't the situation when the Suzuki was in the race. It was just going to leave everything in the dust.
More to the point, how the hell do we test any of these theories and pick the right car? Guess we don't, unless you're in the Asia Pacific region, we can watch the early streams instead.
There's the million dollar question -- or the 20,000 Cr. one, as payouts go for online races.

I've only done a little bit of testing on this so far, but the few cars I did look at seemed pretty close to their BoP equivalents. I'm guessing the changes have been mainly to the downforce settings, but of course there's no way to know for sure. You might be able to get a decent approximation by doing Gr.3 BoP custom races. That's what I'm planning to do, anyways.

Enough about next week's Nations Cup race, though. What's going on with this week's Manu Cup at Catalunya?

I see that GT Engine has posted the Lap time - DR correlations chart for this round: https://gt-engine.com/gt7/races/race-stats/lap-time-dr/23-24-ex1/lap-time-dr-23-24-ex1-rd5.html. Happy to see that my best lap (1:42.951) is sitting above the line for my DR.

I had my suspension tune and strategy (16H) figured out last week, since the SSRX race required no preparation. I've been spending most of my prep time this week doing custom races against the AI.

Can I just say how nice it is to be getting a decent payout on these since the upgrade came out? It may not be the million-credit payout from the rubber-band trick at Daytona, but it sure is better than the ~38K it used to be.

I really wish Sophy was available at this track and for custom races, though. I feel like I've figured out the quirks of the regular AI drivers now. I know some lines to get around them, but I don't know how helpful that is going to be against real human drivers. I have my doubts. Oh well, it is what it is.

Are you guys doing a one stop for ManuCup this Saturday?
GT1, or GT2/3? I'm running no-stop for GT2, though I'm surprised how many people in practice lobbies keep running 1 stoppers with the massive pit-lane loss. Maybe it will work for some, but I can't gain enough time on the mediums to justify it when I can just run 1:44.xxx for 16 laps on hards.

I've run a couple GT1 lobbies just for fun (I like the longer race), and I think I could stretch a 1 stopper going 20H/13M but haven't tried. The left front would be cooked at the end of both stints (AMG '20), at least with my driving, so I'd be hesitant without trying it in a practice race a couple times myself.

All assuming no weather issues of course :)

GT1, or GT2/3? I'm running no-stop for GT2, though I'm surprised how many people in practice lobbies keep running 1 stoppers with the massive pit-lane loss. Maybe it will work for some, but I can't gain enough time on the mediums to justify it when I can just run 1:44.xxx for 16 laps on hards.

I've run a couple GT1 lobbies just for fun (I like the longer race), and I think I could stretch a 1 stopper going 20H/13M but haven't tried. The left front would be cooked at the end of both stints (AMG '20), at least with my driving, so I'd be hesitant without trying it in a practice race a couple times myself.

There is no weather at Catalunya

I'm wondering if this is lawyers at work. Sony might be worried about Nascar suing their arse off if they let it turn into a NASCAR race full of unlicensed NASCAR liveries.
Too stretchy for that imo - the two dailies they had at Daytona oval (American Gr.3s one time, C8s another) invited NASCAR liveries (difficult to judge on my end though since I am in low DR Asia region).

I’m in GT1 but my other members are GT2/3 drivers… are you suggesting for them to just stay on the hards for the whole 16 Laps? Yea I’m thinking of going 21 laps and then 12 on mediums.. I didn’t think of just doing a one stop until I saw some streamers practicing for it.

I’m in GT1 but my other members are GT2/3 drivers… are you suggesting for them to just stay on the hards for the whole 16 Laps? Yea I’m thinking of going 21 laps and then 12 on mediums.. I didn’t think of just doing a one stop until I saw some streamers practicing for it.
Yes, I'm suggesting a no-stopper on RH for GT2/3.

I gain about 1-1.5 seconds a lap on RM, so I'm gaining about 10-15 seconds before switching to the RH. The pit loss is like 40 seconds or something huge like that, so the math doesn't work out. I can't get 3-4 seconds a lap between RM and RH to get it to work out.

For example, I ran in a lobby last night to verify my testing. I started pole, dropped to 2nd immediately to a guy on RM. I think he was in a 911, I'm in the AMG. I dropped back to about 8 seconds off the lead, until around lap 9, then I started gaining time back as his tires fall off. Lap 12 he pits, his mediums were basically trashed and my RH were at 50%, and I was 4-5 seconds back.. I ended up winning by ~30 seconds, 30% tire life left, with no drop off in pace.

As always YMMV, but I don't see a pit stop working out. I guess if your car is hell on tires and you can't get the RH to last maybe it's different, but that's not my case.

Edit: I'm not a GT1 driver, but I like your plan if the tires will last, based on the one race I did with GT1 guys. I gotta say, I'm jealous of the longer races, it was fun putting a race together like that.

Last edited:
I agree. Now that the Suzuki is gone, it could make a lot of cars competitive. Whatever the meta ends up being, there are going to be at least a handful of cars that can keep up in slipstream. That wasn't the situation when the Suzuki was in the race. It was just going to leave everything in the dust.

There's the million dollar question -- or the 20,000 Cr. one, as payouts go for online races.

I've only done a little bit of testing on this so far, but the few cars I did look at seemed pretty close to their BoP equivalents. I'm guessing the changes have been mainly to the downforce settings, but of course there's no way to know for sure. You might be able to get a decent approximation by doing Gr.3 BoP custom races. That's what I'm planning to do, anyways.
Looks like it's the NSX Gr3 car and the Supra GT500 to the top of the leaderboards.

GT2/3 is almost certainly a no-stop on Saturday even if you're driving on full red tyres at the end - Barcelona's pit lane loss is one of the more egregiously long ones and you'll have no real chance of clawing the time back on the mediums.

I don’t know why I picked Ferrari other than the cars sound nice, but MR having an advantage on tire wear this week is nice. I felt like I had a decent tire wear advantage at GVH1 too but that is literally just a feeling.

Can't blame you going with Ferrari, the Gr. 4 458 is nice. I generally get on better with FR cars at this point, but as MR goes I really like it and the NSX. and yeah, the sound of the 458 never gets old. I used to default to he 458 in Gr. 4, and the RX Vision in Gr. 3 for non-stop screaming engines :)

Mainly on the plains. Never on the track.....

The rain in Spain falls on the plain. There is joy and also pain, but the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

Time's a sheet, life's a stain,
All the things we know will change and all those things remain the same, but be ye mad or only sane, the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

We walk in love but fly in chains
. And the planes in Spain fall in the rain.

Not strictly true, I used the Mercedes-AMG and finished 3rd, the winner was also running it.
15.87598 Fords per race, on average, overall. That better?

Doubt it. There are already hundreds of NASCAR liveries out there (as well as F1 liveries, IMSA liveries, etc., etc., etc.) being used all the time.

Was in a practice lobby last night (which was set to 16 laps) and was able to make them all pretty easy on a set of RH tires in the NSX. The lefts were hurting by the end, but there was still life left in them.

Last edited:
Is that a real stat? I'm surprised, I ran the ran twice and had a three or four each time. Is there a stat for winning or podium percentages?
No, I was being facetious trying to convey my original point that if the current META is removed from the list, another will just take its place to which most people will use.

Would be cool if we could see that info, though!

Last edited:
Can't blame you going with Ferrari, the Gr. 4 458 is nice. I generally get on better with FR cars at this point, but as MR goes I really like it and the NSX. and yeah, the sound of the 458 never gets old. I used to default to he 458 in Gr. 4, and the RX Vision in Gr. 3 for non-stop screaming engines :)
it really was just "engine go vroom". i used the R92CP in the nations race for meta purposes but was laser focused on the sound of any 787B that came near me

this is my first foray into the competitive series' and also my first heavy MR use and I have to say I am loving the oversteer i can generate from shifting the weight of the car. I was basically an occasional daily race A driver if there was a fun car and still have fewer than 50 sport mode races. i actually avoided the 911RSR (and other non front engine cars) in favor of the AMG in the few GT3 dailies i did because i wasn't comfortable with the increased instability, i am now

couple VR videos from prior races:

Manufacturers Round 2, got torpedoed twice and went from like 3rd or 4th to last, and both guys who got me quit so I was pissed but not at anyone in front of me. The little drift got my heart rate up.

Manufacturers Round 3, was following this guy for two laps and finally got my chance. I feel like he tried to rub me out twice but only half-heartedly so. you can see me kind of road rage out on the final straight and shake my head and say "you better not shadow realm me at the end of tiergarten"

The rain in Spain falls on the plain. There is joy and also pain, but the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

Time's a sheet, life's a stain,
All the things we know will change and all those things remain the same, but be ye mad or only sane, the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

We walk in love but fly in chains
. And the planes in Spain fall in the rain.

… Poor Professor Higgins!
Poor Professor Higgins!
Night and day
He slaves away!
Oh, poor Professor Higgins!
All day long
On his feet;
Up and down until he's numb;
Doesn't rest;
Doesn't eat;
Doesn't touch a crumb!
Poor Professor Higgins!
Poor Professor Higgins!
On he plods
Against all odds;
Oh, poor Professor Higgins!
Nine p.m.
Ten p.m.
On through midnight ev'ry night.
One a.m.
Two a.m.
Three...!
Quit, Professor Higgins!
Quit, Professor Higgins!
Hear our plea
Or payday we
Will quit, Professor Higgins!
Ay not I,
O not Ow,
Pounding pounding in our brain.
Ay not I,
O not Ow,
Don't say "Rine, " say "Rain"
… The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain!
… By George, she's got it!
By George, she's got it!
Now, once again where does it rain?
… On the plain! On the plain!
… And where's that soggy plain?
… In Spain! In Spain!
… The three
The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain!
… In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire...?
… Hurricanes hardly happen.
How kind of you to let me come!
… Now once again, where does it rain?
… On the plain! On the plain!
… And where's that blasted plain?
… In Spain! In Spain!
… The three

I'm notoriously bad on tires, but at catalunya in the genesis (also bad on tires) I was able to do 9H/12M/12M. I also tried a 21H/12M run (testing only the first 21 laps). My overall times were slightly faster on the two-stop, but similar enough to be within any margin of error for consistency.

But, oh my, I ran out of front tire around lap 18 on the hards and those last laps were bleeding time and confidence. The meds lasted about 10-11 laps, but the last laps on bad med tires weren't nearly as bad as those hards. So likely a two-stopper for me. And start on hards to repair the inevitable aero damage I seem to always take on lap 1!
Why don't you just run the hards for 10/11 instead of 9? That way you don't have to struggle on empty mediums. That's what i'm doing, i'm in the AMG which is FR = bad and i'm also bad on tires.

PMK
Why don't you just run the hards for 10/11 instead of 9? That way you don't have to struggle on empty mediums. That's what i'm doing, i'm in the AMG which is FR = bad and i'm also bad on tires.
yeah, I thought of that and I might do it - that's where some improvisation comes in. If I need to repair anything, I'll go in around 9, if not and I might stay out for another lap or two. I didn't find driving the wasted Meds to be nearly as horrendous as the hards. An 11/11/11 sounds nice and easy to remember!

Back