Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
Again, only got time for the earliest slot on Sat at Interlagos. EMEA GT1, 255 points full A+ lobby. Had #1 on my door (What does that actually mean? I saw everyone in this thread mentioned theirs). Did 1:31.6 in Quali which placed me 4th on the grid in the McLaren.

Came T1, the guy in 2nd braked a bit early and I took front end damage. Must be a serious one as I never managed to lap faster than 1:33.5 for the next laps. Gave up like 4 positions until I pit at Lap 7, then proceed to spin out at the last corner at the out lap. Then came next lap I avoided a guy coming out of pit and went wide at T4 and got a penalty. Was at 15th and 47 sec off P1, so decided to just quit as no way I will bring home more points than I did in the first 3 rounds.

Still this was the best GTWS series I have had in terms of points. I would gladly take the 6 mil credits but it would be challenging to achieve something similar in the Manufacturers Series in the McLaren!

IMG-8842.jpg

Last night summed up my season quite nicely...

Slot 1: Decided to use the Corvette because I was quickest with it in FP by quite a margin, and the tire wear wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I qualified 9th, 3 spots behind @Geauxgreddy even though I was less than 0.1s slower. In fact, much of the field was rather close in qualifying, which usually bodes well for me because it usually means a good chance of making up places since I'm usually better in race pace than in qualifying pace.

I got a great start in the Corvette (another reason I chose it), but by the time we got out of the Senna Esses, I was back where I started in 9th. I then made a stupid error in T4 and forgot to downshift into 2nd instead of 3rd, which caused me to understeer wide along with the 2 cars in front of me, causing me to lose a spot when I potentially could've gained 1 or 2. Thanks to @Geauxgreddy's battles further up front, I could see a bunch of potential positions right in front of me, but I couldn't make any inroads and was still running where I started on the final lap when 8th place ran wide at the exit of the penultimate corner and picked up a 1s penalty. The dirty tires that resulted allowed me to close in to under 1s and steal 8th place at the line when his penalty was applied for 229 points. That was below my 250-point goal, but I should've taken it...

Slot 2: Top Split and Door 14, so I knew I needed a miracle to make something happen. Qualified 13th and once again got an amazing start, but didn't make up any spots through the Senna Esses. Chaos happened in front of me though, and I was up to P10 by Lap 2 when my stupid car broke loose in T5, and I had to take to the runoff to save it, costing me a spot and giving me a 1s penalty. The penalty dropped me back to P15. Eventually worked my way up to P12 when it could've been a Top 10 without my car forgetting how to car. On to Slot 3...

Slot 3: My car still forgot how to car in qualifying - this time in the Senna Esses where it kept trying to kill me on both of my qualifying attempts, resulting in qualifying P13 of 14. I made my way up to 10th due to 3 crashes by the end of Lap 2. A Mercedes spinning at T2 on Lap 9 promoted me up to 9th. After pitting on Lap 12, I somehow caught up to the train of cars in front of me and was now at the back of a train extending up to 5th place, but yet again didn't have enough pace to threaten most of them. The Porsche ahead of me lost it in the final corner on Lap 18 and in rejoining forced me into the outside wall on the front straight to avoid contact, but somehow I escaped with no damage, although it cost me 3s and now meant instead of easily gapping him as he recovered, he was now right behind me. It now also meant the group we were a part of was now long-gone. The Mercedes that had been battling the Porsche then lost it at the final hairpin on Lap 20, gifting me P7. P6 then also made a mistake at some point and fell back into the clutches of our group on Lap 23, but unfortunately they were able to stay just enough ahead of me that I couldn't attempt a pass. On Lap 24, the Porsche that had forced me into the wall earlier was tired of sitting behind me and divebombed me into the first hairpin to force his way past. I wanted to pay him back, but the worse brakes on the Corvette (and wanting to avoid damaging myself) prevented that from happening, so I crossed the line in P8 for 222 points, which improved my points total by a whopping 4 points... at least I got a CRB somehow.

Now for the championship results:
Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 12.54.39 PM.png

On paper, not bad I guess, but after last season having 2 consecutive wins resulting in 2 consecutive 300+ points results, I can't help but feel disappointed that I followed up that season with this one where I got only 1 Top 5 resulting in 1 result over 250 points...

My fellow GTPlanetorians!!! Join me, in a photographic journey of what might be (dramatic pause), the most epic race to occur in the history of the world!!! Ever.

20970701343471006.jpeg

Beginning our decent into 40 minutes of hell

20970474264631542.jpeg

Lap 2 if I recall correctly

20970611930395868.jpeg

This was pretty much my race for the first 11 laps

20970802733330309.jpeg

Best Job I've ever had....

20970417946901244.jpeg

Lap 7 or 8. the blue Ferrari got a run on me going into T4. I defended the inside and he went for a cutback, knocking me into the marbles and back to 5th place. He did not stop. I ended up getting back past him on lap 11, where he decided to go for the undercut

IMG_4312.jpeg

Don't think I don't know what your post-race plans entail tonight fellas. Screw this tire change up, and it's no illicit drugs and women of the night for you!!

20970418524496932.jpeg

Lap 23, still pushing

20970087300360987.jpeg

As the sun set behind the western grand stand, Yard_Sale, despite all odds, crosses the finish line in 2nd place to the raucous jubilation of cheers, celebratory high-5's, and bare chests - from spectators and race teams, alike

20970568981912281.jpeg

You're goddamn right..

Attachments

• 20970611930395868.jpeg
    20970611930395868.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Again, only got time for the earliest slot on Sat at Interlagos. EMEA GT1, 255 points full A+ lobby. Had #1 on my door (What does that actually mean? I saw everyone in this thread mentioned theirs). Did 1:31.6 in Quali which placed me 4th on the grid in the McLaren.

Came T1, the guy in 2nd braked a bit early and I took front end damage. Must be a serious one as I never managed to lap faster than 1:33.5 for the next laps. Gave up like 4 positions until I pit at Lap 7, then proceed to spin out at the last corner at the out lap. Then came next lap I avoided a guy coming out of pit and went wide at T4 and got a penalty. Was at 15th and 47 sec off P1, so decided to just quit as no way I will bring home more points than I did in the first 3 rounds.

Still this was the best GTWS series I have had in terms of points. I would gladly take the 6 mil credits but it would be challenging to achieve something similar in the Manufacturers Series in the McLaren!

IMG-8842.jpg
The door number is your race placement before the race. #1 means you were the top driver, DR wise, for that race.

The door number is your race placement before the race. #1 means you were the top driver, DR wise, for that race.
Really? Didn't know that and it's kinda strange. When I have a higher number (10+) I usually get better results then when I have a low number

Really? Didn't know that and it's kinda strange. When I have a higher number (10+) I usually get better results then when I have a low number
That’s only the case if yours DR B or higher, if I remember right. Door numbers get wonky below that. Because the number of DR is spelled out in letters, and ordered alphabetically. If that makes any sense. So if you are DR B or higher, door number is proper order of DR in the room, sometimes not if below B though.

What kind of times are you getting? I've spend more time at Nord than GV but need to do some more laps here; obviously the GV race is sooner. Sitting at a 48.3 which felt like a decent lap but I was purple on it so many times and couldn't manage to finish strong enough to stay there.

PS - McLaren
Current best is a 48.7. 48.3 is rapid.

Because the number of DR is spelled out in letters, and ordered alphabetically. If that makes any sense.
It doesn't - but that's not quite what alphabetic sorting is.

In essence the numbers are sorted as they would be if they were listed in a dictionary of numbers. Except backwards, because it's reverse alphabetic sorting.

For a dictionary of words, A is the first letter and Z is the last, so all the As come before all the Bs, and they're before all the Cs - all the way down to Z.

Similarly in a dictionary of numbers, 1 is the first number (okay, 0 is, but there's no numbers beginning with 0, so we'll just gloss over it at this point) and 9 is the last, so all the 1s come before all the 2s, and they're before all the 3s, all the way down to Z.

Within the As, "A" is the first word, as it's just "A" with nothing else after it. Aardvark is next, because it's "A" followed by another "a". All the other "Aa-" words are next, then the "Ab-" words (beginning with "aba", "abaca", "aback", etc.), then the "Ac-" words and so on.

Again, on the same basis, within the 1s, "1" is the first number, as it's just "1" with nothing else after it. 10 is next, because it's "1" followed by the actual lowest number "0". All the other "10-" numbers are next (100, 1000, 10000, 100,000, 10,001, 10,002, 10,003 etc), then the "11-" numbers (beginning with 11,000, 11,001, 11,002, etc), then the "12" numbers, and so on.

Once all the As have been exhausted, the dictionary then moves onto the Bs and repeats the process - as does our number dictionary - until it gets to the end. Turns out the zygote did it (etc. etc. etc.).

Obviously in GT, the higher the number the better, so its actually sorted in a reverse fashion and the 9s are put first - and as it turns out, this doesn't give us any trouble at all for about 90% of players.

That means we start with the 9iest number that there is: 99,999. Next down is 99,998, followed by 99,997, and so on down to 99,990. But the next value in the list would be 9,999. Then it would be 99,989. You would be looking at something like this:

Values from high to low in GT7's eyes:

99,999 - A+
99,998 - A+
99,997 - A+
99,996 - A+
99,995 - A+
99,994 - A+
99,993- A+
99,992- A+
99,991- A+
99,990- A+
9,999- C
99,989 - A+
99,988 - A+
99,987 - A+
99,986 - A+
99,985 - A+
99,984 - A+
99,983 - A+
99,982 - A+
99,981 - A+
99,980 - A+
9,998 - C
99,979 - A+
99,978 - A+
99,977 - A+
99,976 - A+
99,975 - A+
99,974 - A+
99,973 - A+
99,972 - A+
99,971 - A+
99,970 - A+
9,997 - C

And so on...

For practical purposes, A+ drivers aren't paired with drivers at C, and D outside of exceptional circumstances, so the fact that C drivers' score values are interspersed with A+ drivers' is of no concern. It could also affect a driver maxed out at 100,000, as they'd be ranked #16 in pretty much any A+ lobby other than one with other drivers at 100,000.

Buuuuuuuuut it does come into effect more as you drop into the lower reaches of A, and at B, as you see more C and D drivers when there's bad SR at play and fewer drivers in that particular race.

Here's how a numbers-plucked-at-random-then-tweaked-to-fit A-D lobby that'd probably never happen could look with regards to door numbers:

1 - C - 8,841
2 - C - 6,226
3 - C - 4,194
4 - A - 41,932
5 - A - 36,724
6 - D - 3,418
7 - D - 3,178
8 - A - 30,450
9 - B - 29,205
10 - D - 2,900
11 - B - 28,137
12 - B - 27,902

You can see an example of how this works in older version of Windows, if you put 1-6 digit numbers at the end of otherwise identical filenames - Untitled10 comes between Untitled1 and Untitled2, as would Untitled100.

In essence the numbers are sorted as they would be if they were listed in a dictionary of numbers. Except backwards, because it's reverse alphabetic sorting.

For a dictionary of words, A is the first letter and Z is the last, so all the As come before all the Bs, and they're before all the Cs - all the way down to Z.

Similarly in a dictionary of numbers, 1 is the first number (okay, 0 is, but there's no numbers beginning with 0, so we'll just gloss over it at this point) and 9 is the last, so all the 1s come before all the 2s, and they're before all the 3s, all the way down to Z.

Within the As, "A" is the first word, as it's just "A" with nothing else after it. Aardvark is next, because it's "A" followed by another "a". All the other "Aa-" words are next, then the "Ab-" words (beginning with "aba", "abaca", "aback", etc.), then the "Ac-" words and so on.

Again, on the same basis, within the 1s, "1" is the first number, as it's just "1" with nothing else after it. 10 is next, because it's "1" followed by the actual lowest number "0". All the other "10-" numbers are next (100, 1000, 10000, 100,000, 10,001, 10,002, 10,003 etc), then the "11-" numbers (beginning with 11,000, 11,001, 11,002, etc), then the "12" numbers, and so on.

Once all the As have been exhausted, the dictionary then moves onto the Bs and repeats the process - as does our number dictionary - until it gets to the end. Turns out the zygote did it (etc. etc. etc.).

Obviously in GT, the higher the number the better, so its actually sorted in a reverse fashion and the 9s are put first - and as it turns out, this doesn't give us any trouble at all for about 90% of players.

That means we start with the 9iest number that there is: 99,999. Next down is 99,998, followed by 99,997, and so on down to 99,990. But the next value in the list would be 9,999. Then it would be 99,989. You would be looking at something like this:

99,999 - A+
99,998 - A+
99,997 - A+
99,996 - A+
99,995 - A+
99,994 - A+
99,993- A+
99,992- A+
99,991- A+
99,990- A+
9,999- C
99,989 - A+
99,988 - A+
99,987 - A+
99,986 - A+
99,985 - A+
99,984 - A+
99,983 - A+
99,982 - A+
99,981 - A+
99,980 - A+
9,998 - C
99,979 - A+
99,978 - A+
99,977 - A+
99,976 - A+
99,975 - A+
99,974 - A+
99,973 - A+
99,972 - A+
99,971 - A+
99,970 - A+
9,997 - C

And so on...

For practical purposes, A+ drivers aren't paired with drivers at C, and D outside of exceptional circumstances, so the fact that C drivers' score values are interspersed with A+ drivers' is of no concern. It could also affect a driver maxed out at 100,000, as they'd be ranked #16 in pretty much any A+ lobby other than one with other drivers at 100,000.

Buuuuuuuuut it does come into effect more as you drop into the lower reaches of A, and at B, as you see more C and D drivers when there's bad SR at play and fewer drivers in that particular race.

Here's how a numbers-plucked-at-random-then-tweaked-to-fit A-D lobby that'd probably never happen could look with regards to door numbers:

1 - C - 8,841
2 - C - 6,226
3 - C - 4,194
4 - A - 41,932
5 - A - 36,724
6 - D - 3,418
7 - D - 3,178
8 - A - 30,450
9 - B - 29,205
10 - D - 2,900
11 - B - 28,137
12 - B - 27,902

You can see an example of how this works in older version of Windows, if you put 1-6 digit numbers at the end of otherwise identical filenames - Untitled10 comes between Untitled1 and Untitled2, as would Untitled100.
TYVM for the correction Sir. 🍻

I was gonna tag you, but I didn’t wanna bother you, and I kinda I had a feeling you’d not be far behind with a proper explanation anyways lol.

My head is spinning a bit now 😅

Wednesday starts the manu cup so I thought I try a bit of free practice on GV Highway 1. A track where I, at most, have 10 laps under my belt in this configuration.
Safe to say that I will skip race 1 😂 I thought I'm bad at Bathurst but this is a whole new level of bad for me. With nightshift this coming week there will not much practice possible so better focus on the next races I guess 🥲

Did a few laps of GV this evening... I see the track limit penalties are as annoying as always. My tactics in GT2 might involve being a slow arse to avoid them and hope the hot lap warriors pick up three of them per lap.

Last edited:
You must be in GT2/GT3… in that league damage is set to light. This means after 20 seconds or so the damage will go away. Only GT1 drivers A+/A get heavy damage which only gets repaired in the pits.
No, this is GT1. I was looking at it because it was an incident where I got permanent front and rear aero damage.

There was a big concertina and the car in front of me got rear aero damage and this car (behind me) got this split second damage before it miraculously disappeared, but my rear damage stayed.

I genuinely think there is something not right about the damage algorithm. I’ve seen this over and over again where one car sustains permanent damage and the other gets nothing in the same hit.

No, this is GT1. I was looking at it because it was an incident where I got permanent front and rear aero damage.

There was a big concertina and the car in front of me got rear aero damage and this car (behind me) got this split second damage before it miraculously disappeared, but my rear damage stayed.

I genuinely think there is something not right about the damage algorithm. I’ve seen this over and over again where one car sustains permanent damage and the other gets nothing in the same hit.
Yea my bad I should have seen the 25 laps… Yea that’s insane I never saw that before!

So that lap 1 carnage I was in left us two innocent bystanders with aero and suspension damage while the 650 caused our damage got no damage at all. I have the replay and was wondering why he carried on and was back up to speed and he had zero impact from the crash that ruined both my and the amg race in the opening lap.

I still can't decide on a manufacturer. I've done Ferrari and McLaren so far, feel pretty comfortable with both. Trying to decide between giving Porsche a shot now that the GR4 has been buffed a little, Peugeot as a wildcard because it looks strong after the BOP update, or just re-running with McLaren or Ferrari.

Or maybe AMG to get myself more familiar with FR drivetrains. Choice paralysis.
I've gone with Peugeot on my alternate account for the Gr3 rounds at Bathurst and Nord. I know the RCZ is a bit slow on top-end speed but it's one of the few cars I think I can get up & down the mountain crash-free. Should be okay on the evil monstrosity as well.

For the proper season (that'll hopefully follow soon after this one ends) I am almost certainly going with Lamborghini. Never used them in GTWS before, barely driven them in daily races but the Gr3 Huracan in particular just feels so good at the moment.

Whose dumb idea was it to sign with Volkswagen, anyways? Oh right, mine.

I'm really struggling to get any pace out of the Scirocco at Grand Valley. The best laps I've been able to muster in FP have been in the low 1:58s. I can't even win practice races against AI drivers with it. In those, I'm lucky to get laps in the 1:59s.

Wednesday could be interesting.

Despite writing all the articles, I forgot that Saturday's EMEA slots are two hours earlier than Wednesdays, so sat down for one run at 7pm to find I was already an hour late for the last one... :ouch:

Still, with a good Cappuccino result and the turdrace, I got enough points to scrape 3.6m credits together.

If you mean the results page, it gets put into event archives as soon as the last race is completed. 🍻

View attachment 1336047
No, actually I meant if there's a ranking of Nations of some kind.
I'm new to this and thought we are racing and gathering points for the "Nations" like in the Manufacturers Cup there is a leaderboard for all the participating car brands for which we are gathering points I suppose and we know which Manufacturer eventually won.

I guess there isn't one, but why is it called Nations Cup then?

No, actually I meant if there's a ranking of Nations of some kind.
I'm new to this and thought we are racing and gathering points for the "Nations" like in the Manufacturers Cup there is a leaderboard for all the participating car brands for which we are gathering points I suppose and we know which Manufacturer eventually won.

I guess there isn't one, but why is it called Nations Cup then?
Oddly, there isn't one, but even more oddly it's not scored like that even in Manufacturers and I haven't seen an official ranking of Manufacturers provided for any season in years.

Edit: Okay, so I've just rechecked as we were discussing this last year with regards to live event qualification and it seems like Nations Cup rankings are the top-ranked player only rather than the converted points system of Manufacturers or another ranking method.

As a result, the Nations Cup rankings would be:

Europe - 1 Spain, 2 Hungary, 3 France, 4 Italy, 5 Netherlands
N. America - 1 USA, 2 Canada (only two nations!)
S. America - 1 Argentina, 2 Chile, 3 Brazil, 4 Chile, 5 Guatemala
Asia - 1 Japan, 2 Hong Kong, 3 China, 4 Singapore, 5 Malaysia
Oceania - 1 Australia, 2 New Zealand (also only two nations...)

The global picture isn't massively relevant, as qualification is grouped by region. I'd expect the huge A+ pool of European players to make big points more common in Europe and the top-ranked European nations to also be most of the top-ranked globally. But...

1 Spain 885, 2 Hungary 866, 3 USA 841, 4 France 840, 5 Japan 821

Just checked back and the 19th ranked EMEA nation is ahead of the 2nd ranked Asia nation by this metric...

Last edited:

99,999 - A+
99,998 - A+
99,997 - A+
99,996 - A+
99,995 - A+
99,994 - A+
99,993- A+
99,992- A+
99,991- A+
99,990- A+
9,999- C
99,989 - A+
99,988 - A+
99,987 - A+
99,986 - A+
99,985 - A+
99,984 - A+
99,983 - A+
99,982 - A+
99,981 - A+
99,980 - A+
9,998 - C
99,979 - A+
99,978 - A+
99,977 - A+
99,976 - A+
99,975 - A+
99,974 - A+
99,973 - A+
99,972 - A+
99,971 - A+
99,970 - A+
9,997 - C

And so on...

1 - C - 8,841
2 - C - 6,226
3 - C - 4,194
4 - A - 41,932
5 - A - 36,724
6 - D - 3,418
7 - D - 3,178
8 - A - 30,450
9 - B - 29,205
10 - D - 2,900
11 - B - 28,137
12 - B - 27,902

TMI :gtpflag:

Latest Posts

Back