Gregg Allman Dead at 69

• Thread starter Parker
  • 4 comments
United States
Kentucky, USA
James_Page
PageyTheSquid
I sort of expected this since not too long ago he canceled the rest of a tour due to his health, but this is still a huge loss. The original Allman Brothers Band (with Duane) is one of my favorite bands of all time, Live at Fillmore East is one of the greatest albums of all time, so this one definitely hurts.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7759662/gregg-allman-dead

Now he can finally jam again with Duane, Berry and Butch. Rest in peace, sir.

When Chris Cornell's death gets a huge reception and Gregg Allman barely gets a nod, Houston we have a problem.....

Was it because Duane Allman overshadowed his brother? Probably. I was thinking about this today, what would it actually be like to be the older brother of an iconic, one of the all time best guitar players and be overshadowed by a legend? The obvious comparison is Jimmy Vaughan, older brother to Stevie Ray Vaughan. To be fair, I truly don't think Jimmy Vaughan or Gregg Allman cared about it all that much, but it's still an interesting topic to think about.

The obvious difference here is that Gregg Allman was kind of the frontman of the band and his legendary voice is behind all of their mainstay tracks, their greatest musical achievements whereas Jimmy Vaughan was not the frontman of the band until after Stevie died. Ironically, most of the Allman brother's commercial success came after Duane Allman's death. But enough of that and on to Gregg...He was a pioneer, if not 'thee pioneer' of southern rock, enough that so many successful acts that followed in his footsteps were influenced heavily by Gregg Allman's songwriting style which is featured in songs like Whipping Post and Midnight Rider and Ain't Wasting Time No More.

Though his death comes as no surprise because his of his battle with cancer, I am still sadden by it because we lost a great American Song Writer, Musician and Vocalist. RIP Gregg and thank you for great melodies, your music will live on.

Last edited:
When Chris Cornell's death gets a huge reception and Gregg Allman barely gets a nod, Houston we have a problem.....

Was it because Duane Allman overshadowed his brother? Probably. I was thinking about this today, what would it actually be like to be the older brother of an iconic, one of the all time best guitar players and be overshadowed by a legend? The obvious comparison is Jimmy Vaughan, older brother to Stevie Ray Vaughan. To be fair, I truly don't think Jimmy Vaughan or Gregg Allman cared about it all that much, but it's still an interesting topic to think about.

The obvious difference here is that Gregg Allman was kind of the frontman of the band and his legendary voice is behind all of their mainstay tracks, their greatest musical achievements whereas Jimmy Vaughan was not the frontman of the band until after Stevie died. Ironically, most of the Allman brother's commercial success came after Duane Allman's death. But enough of that and on to Gregg...He was a pioneer, if not 'thee pioneer' of southern rock, enough that so many successful acts that followed in his footsteps were influenced heavily by Gregg Allman's songwriting style which is featured in songs like Whipping Post and Midnight Rider and Ain't Wasting Time No More.

Though his death comes as no surprise because his of his battle with cancer, I am still sadden by it because we lost a great American Song Writer, Musician and Vocalist. RIP Gregg and thank you for great melodies, your music will live on.

Very sad & a great loss, one of the best voices in one of the best bands that ever was. Gregg was the younger brother though.
I think they both contributed equally to the classic sound of the band, each in their own unique way.
Gregg was also a damn good keyboard player to boot.

Last edited:
Very sad & a great loss, one of the best voices in one of the best bands that ever was. Gregg was the younger brother though.

I always thought of Gregg as the older brother for some reason, maybe it's because he was the first to leave and try to make it on his own in LA. Gregg's voice made the band what is was, he had one of the most soulful voices in rock music. This truly is a tragic loss to music.

I think they both contributed equally to the classic sound of the band, each in their own unique way.
Gregg was also a damn good keyboard player to boot

I like all of them, especially Dickey Betts. Ramblin Man is one of my favorite ABB songs int he entire catalog. Dickey wrote and sang that one and the dualing lead guitars between him and Les Dudek are some of the band's best work in the post Duane Allman era.

Oh and a suggestion to all, if you guys haven't seen the documentary Muscle Shoals then I highly, highly recommend it. Gregg and Duane are both in it and Duane's session work on albums (from famous artists like Wilson Pickett and Aretha Franklin) is just awesome. Last time I checked a few weeks ago it was still on Netfilx.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ramblin' Man is a great song, and Dickey is still one hell of a guitarist - the perfect foil for Duane really.
I've seen Muscle Shoals, brilliant doco, loved it. There is also a fantastic doco on the ABB I've got called "Song of the South - The Rise of Duane Allman and the Allman Brothers Band ".......it is definitely a must see for any lover of the ABB.

Back