GT6 disc no longer loading

United States
Alabama, USA
Christopher12284
Christopher0184
First off, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area.

Anyway, I tried to load GT6 this morning, but my PS3 didn't seem to be able to read the disc. The GT6 icon didn't even show up on the game selection screen. I looked at the disc, only to see that it had gained a very deep (irreparable) circular scratch overnight, so I went out and bought a new disc, hoping that it would fix the issue. After popping the brand new disc in, however, the PS3 still wouldn't read the disc, much less display any game info or the start icon.

Then I tried all of my other games, both disc-based and downloaded games, and they all work perfectly, which means that this problem is probably GT6-specific. I have been experiencing occasional freezes and crashes since the most recent update, so I suppose that could possibly be somehow related, but I honestly don't see why that would cause my PS3 to essentially REFUSE to even read the GT6 disc.

If it is any help, my PS3 is a CECH-4201B model.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as GT6 is one of my favorite PS3 games.

That is pretty odd.
You could always try deleting the GT6 file in the game data folder and patch the game over if you internet isn't too terribly slow.

Just don't delete the stuff in the game save folder.

That is pretty odd.
You could always try deleting the GT6 file in the game data folder and patch the game over if you internet isn't too terribly slow.

Just don't delete the stuff in the game save folder.
I was initially tempted to do just that after the brand new disc didn't fix the issue, but since I don't know if deleting the GT6 file in the game data folder will fix the problem, I am extremely reluctant to do so, as it might leave me with no way at all of re-patching the game in the even that the PS3 still refuses to read the new disc.

Yeah I just figured the possibility of it working outweighs having a patched version of a game that does nothing.
I would be curious what a downloadable version would do. Would hate to just throw money at it though.
Also I don't know if the save would carry over.
I know you have the model number but which PS3 is that? The super slim with the folding lid?

Yeah I just figured the possibility of it working outweighs having a patched version of a game that does nothing.
I would be curious what a downloadable version would do. Would hate to just throw money at it though.
Also I don't know if the save would carry over.
I know you have the model number but which PS3 is that? The super slim with the folding lid?
I believe it's a slim PS3 with a sliding disc cover on top, although I will admit that not 100% sure if mine is a slim, as I've never seen a slim PS3 side-by-side with a non-slim PS3.

I already threw about $30 on a new disc, and I honestly had no idea that GT6 was even available on the PlayStation Store, and to be completely honest, that annoys me even more, as I could have just gotten a card or two and downloaded GT6 directly to the hard drive.

This always happen to my games not just GT6. My fix is play some games or just leave them running for a while to warm up the lens drive. It always works for me.

too bad for you
my experience with the latest version of ps3 is:
the scratch on your disk is maybe not one
i used some cleaner and it was gone, looks like dust is collected in a circular way like you have
then for the disk not being recognized, it's probably the lens
the problem is that the recognition of GT6 is on the dual layer and if that part is failing, it's over, you need to change the lens block
all other games may work well because they don't use the dual layer, not many games do
and most if not all don't set the recognition on the second layer ... well done PD ..

It's weird though, because the PS3 tries to read the GT6 disc a few times, but then it just seems to give up and won't even attempt to read the disc anymore.
Not sure if this will help any, but my GT5 disc works perfectly, as do all of my other disc-based games as well as my downloaded games, as I mentioned before.

Your dual lens disk laser is shot.
I'm surprised, no one remembers GT kills PS3s...

If you aren't afraid of taking your ps3 apart, you can get a new lens for $45.
If you are nervous about opening it up, Sony will charge you $100 and they will send you a box, to ship it to them.

this probably isnt relevant but when discs develop circular scratches (from something rubbing on them as they spin, ie the laser) you can use a little bit of non acetone nail polish remover to rub out the scratches in a circular motion, if that doesn't work then you can use acetone based nail polish remover but you have to be very quick and use the smallest amount or the plastic can melt and make it even worse, just a little trick that works for PS2 discs and what not.

I decided to get the digital download version, but I'm wondering if the update data from the disc-based version of the game will work with the download-version, or if my system will end up re-downloading all of the game updates over again?

the scratch on your disk is maybe not one
i used some cleaner and it was gone, looks like dust is collected in a circular way like you have

Same happened to me a few weeks back... and as @Le_Manuz also found it - was just circle of dirt! - A quick clean using just a bit of saliva and a microfibre cloth fixed it.

Quick note: Saliva has enzymes that help break down most dirt and grime and will not damage your disc.

Back