GT7 one month in for me, experiences so far

• Thread starter redhed17
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
The Pool Of Life.
One month into GT7 for me, and my impressions so far, just to get it off my chest. If some of the things I have issues with, there is a setting to change, or something I have got wrong, please let me know. I'm not here to argue or create controversy, just the experiences of someone who has been playing GT games for 25 years.
  • Firstly, it has to be pointed out that this is an online game like GT Sport, but even more so sadly, as nothing seems to work without an internet connection. :banghead: So this will not be a game that will probably be able to be played in the future.
  • I’ve liked the number of challenges for some of the tracks. It would be nice to see more added to some tracks with updates, as some tracks just have one or a couple challenges so far.
  • I liked the clubhouse thing with the challenges and the added info on the cars/brands, but it did take away the classic GT experience of working through a lot of lower cars first, slowly improving. With that, a lot of the cheaper ‘lower level’ cars that may have been used in previous GT games, will probably not be used as much, if at all by many, because of the design of the game, and the linear ‘role playing’ route through the game.
  • The replays of races are not as good as GT Sport and previous GT games imho. GT replays have always been the best from any racing game, but I’m not sure what has changed this time. The views chosen, the panning, the cutting from shot to shot, I can’t put my finger on why I don’t think they are as good. There seems to be more times when the car that the replay is following goes out of view for too long, and ‘action’ is sometimes missed, and you’re looking at not very much. 🙄
  • And talking of replays, if I watch a replay and decide that something looks like it could be a nice photo, and go back 10 seconds, the game chooses different views 😲 making it almost impossible to get the view that initially caught the eye without repeating the same previous 10 seconds a number of times hoping that game shows the same view again that caught the eye.
  • It would be nice to set defaults for the settings when taking a pic, as I always seem to have to turn down the Glare, and widen the aperture to blur the background.
  • The Livery Editor doesn’t seem to be working as well as in GT Sport, with some decals not reacting as they did in the previous game when placed on a surface. I put a decal with the word Porsche on a surface, and the decal started distorting slightly like an upside-down smiley face, which it didn’t do in GT Sport.
  • There is still no way to organise the decals you favourite in any way, by date acquired, by name etc. The option to rename to organise would have been good too.
  • If you decide to look for a decal whilst editing, the decal you choose is not added to your favourites, so if you want to use that decal on a different aspect of the car, you have to search for it again.
  • I've been very disappointed with the number of decals that have been uploaded, as it seems to be a fraction of what GT Sport had at the same point after release.
  • Great that they allowed you to bring your decals from GT Sport. It would have been nice to also populate your favourites with decals from GT Sport if the user who created the decals in your GT Sport favourites gas also transitioned to GT7. It would also massively increase the number of decals available.
  • It would have bee nice for all of the VGT cars to have an interior view.
I'm still enjoying it so far, but fear I may be getting to a point where something more is needed, be that cars, tracks, challenges or improvements in some areas mentioned above that are stating to irritate.

There are some challenges which I know I just won't be able to do, as I do not have the skill or patience from when I was younger. And even then I may bot have been able to do the too. I still have all the Human Comedy challenges waiting, but want to get better at tuning, and have the time to concentrate on them.

Anyway, just wanted to share to see if anyone feels the same way about any of the above, or has solutions to make them better that I have missed. None of my friends are into video games, so here is for like minded people interested in the same game(s).

To me, this game needs more work and should have been released by fall 2022, not to mention the majority of single-player career mode's races, where the contestants are lined up on single-file rather than double-file when it comes to the rolling start of each race, unfortunately.

I really wished GT7 featured all races that consist of a double-file lineup during grid and rolling starts in single-player career mode.

Last edited:
Totally agree about the replays, although I will say I personally think some of the trackside replay cameras are better than GT Sport.....only a few on some tracks though.

I love the way, and is a good feature, the fact it will seemingly record any length of race in it's entirety, so why not give us complete control of them? Like some sort of editing features.

It would be perfect to be able to place/move trackside cameras around and edit the amount of time it tracks/stays on that view.
Maybe like some sort of 'walk mode' or 'spectator view' ....I mean we already have pretty much that in the replay photo mode, it's just missing a 'play' button.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the race game I had years ago where you could do all of the above, whatever it was, it was over 10 years ago.

Another gripe of mine is that the audio needs work in places for trackside cameras in replay; sounds that are extremely loud IRL and you immediately notice: the curbs/cobble run off areas are way too quiet and the wrong tones. (watch some Auto Addiction vids - especially the Brunnchen view)
Also no hot brake squeak, no scrape sound when cars bottom out, and some generally need work with exhaust note and volume.

I could talk all day too about the tiny improvements they could make to the Nordschleife to bring it upto date and 100% accurate, would even save memory and improve performance for some too, but I've already written an essay.

The Livery Editor doesn’t seem to be working as well as in GT Sport, with some decals not reacting as they did in the previous game when placed on a surface. I put a decal with the word Porsche on a surface, and the decal started distorting slightly like an upside-down smiley face, which it didn’t do in GT Sport.
Make sure you're using the correct projection option, there's either camera or surface. Depends where you place the decal as well, personally I haven't faced a lot of problems.

Totally agree about the replays, although I will say I personally think some of the trackside replay cameras are better than GT Sport.....only a few on some tracks though.

I love the way, and is a good feature, the fact it will seemingly record any length of race in it's entirety, so why not give us complete control of them? Like some sort of editing features.

It would be perfect to be able to place/move trackside cameras around and edit the amount of time it tracks/stays on that view.
Maybe like some sort of 'walk mode' or 'spectator view' ....I mean we already have pretty much that in the replay photo mode, it's just missing a 'play' button.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the race game I had years ago where you could do all of the above, whatever it was, it was over 10 years ago.

Another gripe of mine is that the audio needs work in places for trackside cameras in replay; sounds that are extremely loud IRL and you immediately notice: the curbs/cobble run off areas are way too quiet and the wrong tones. (watch some Auto Addiction vids - especially the Brunnchen view)
Also no hot brake squeak, no scrape sound when cars bottom out, and some generally need work with exhaust note and volume.

I could talk all day too about the tiny improvements they could make to the Nordschleife to bring it upto date and 100% accurate, would even save memory and improve performance for some too, but I've already written an essay.
To me, GT7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot are also kind of taking some of the likings of Driveclub's cinematic feel.

In that case:
  • GT7 cinematic feel occurs before the race starts, at the end of the race and replay.
  • Forza Motorsport Reboot has a cinematic feel during the gameplay's third-person/rear view but the first-person/cockpit view hasn't shown up yet I'm still hoping it will feel much like GT7 in terms of handling, not Driveclub.
In my personal opinion, Gran Turismo & Forza Motorsport series are like brothers as we better show respect for both, not imaginary console wars.

However, there is no doubt that Gran Turismo 7 & Forza Motorsport Reboot's crash physics & damage model is inferior to Wreckfest, because Gran Turismo & Forza Motorsport series are both designed to be pure Simcade racers while Wreckfest is born to be a demolition derby and a banger racing game.

Last edited:
And talking of replays, if I watch a replay and decide that something looks like it could be a nice photo, and go back 10 seconds, the game chooses different views 😲 making it almost impossible to get the view that initially caught the eye without repeating the same previous 10 seconds a number of times hoping that game shows the same view again that caught the eye.
Just cycle back and forth with the AI cars in front or behind, there's only like 3 camera settings for each place on the track.

Frankly I'd prefer to have cameras that aren't stuck to a car but just a turn.

Last edited:
Make sure you're using the correct projection option, there's either camera or surface. Depends where you place the decal as well, personally I haven't faced a lot of problems.
Thanks, I will try that.

Just cycle back and forth with the AI cars in front or behind, there's only like 3 camera settings for each place on the track.

Frankly I'd prefer to have cameras that aren't stuck to a car but just a turn.
Thanks, I will try that next time. 🙂

The game shouldn't be changing the replay in any way if you go back, as logic would suggest, if you are going back, it is to see something you liked, and want to see it again. 🙄 :banghead:

Thanks, I will try that next time. 🙂

The game shouldn't be changing the replay in any way if you go back, as logic would suggest, if you are going back, it is to see something you liked, and want to see it again. 🙄 :banghead:
BTW....not sure if you're aware of this undocumented feature in replay, (trackside cameras) but if you hold down Triangle button, it zooms in slightly on your vehicle.

BTW....not sure if you're aware of this undocumented feature in replay, (trackside cameras) but if you hold down Triangle button, it zooms in slightly on your vehicle.
Thank you JP76, 🙂 I did know about it, but I have found that the zoom does not zoom in as much as in GT Sport, and does not seem to be as 'focused' on the car you are watching.

If you decide to look for a decal whilst editing, the decal you choose is not added to your favourites, so if you want to use that decal on a different aspect of the car, you have to search for it again.
Press triangle, you’ll get an option pop up: “add to favourites”.

• Firstly, it has to be pointed out that this is an online game like GT Sport, but even more so sadly, as nothing seems to work without an internet connection. :banghead: So this will not be a game that will probably be able to be played in the future.
  • And talking of replays, if I watch a replay and decide that something looks like it could be a nice photo, and go back 10 seconds, the game chooses different views 😲 making it almost impossible to get the view that initially caught the eye without repeating the same previous 10 seconds a number of times hoping that game shows the same view again that caught the eye.
  • The Livery Editor doesn’t seem to be working as well as in GT Sport, with some decals not reacting as they did in the previous game when placed on a surface. I put a decal with the word Porsche on a surface, and the decal started distorting slightly like an upside-down smiley face, which it didn’t do in GT Sport.
  • If you decide to look for a decal whilst editing, the decal you choose is not added to your favourites, so if you want to use that decal on a different aspect of the car, you have to search for it again.
Good post. It's neat to see what those who have gotten the game later have to say. I thought I'd provide some info on some of your issues/points.

- It does suck that it's online only, but I hold out hope that it and other games will be migrated to consoles before servers shut down. We'll see I guess.

- In replays you always have the option to pause, take a picture, and choose the "feet" option which allows you to move around the entire environment you paused in. Music replay also has different camera views than standard replay, but no time (FWD/REV etc) options. Makes no sense to me.

- In Livery editor you have to make sure that the area highlighted in the crosshairs (the space you are looking directly at) is framed in your screen before choosing the decal. For some reason this game has a limited area that is acceptable, and decals get all kinds of crazy when you try to place them outside the area you selected them from. Very unusual to work with sometimes.

- If you search for a decal, press triangle before choosing it, and that will allow it to be saved to your collection for future use. You can then add it to your favorites. For searching, if you accidentally back out and want to go back to your previous search results, just leave the search bar blank, hit search, and it will bring up your previous search.

Hope this helps a little. I know for me livery editor is half the fun of the game.

Latest Posts

Back