GT7 PS4 Pro and PS5 Versions - My Thoughts So Far

• Thread starter Zero7159
  • 6 comments
Zero7159
I have at least ten hours into the game and here are my thoughts so far regarding both the PS5 and PS4 Pro versions of the game.

Graphics are amazing, particularly on PS5, which does a full 4K at 60 FPS with no noticeable slowdown. The graphics on the PS4 Pro are a definite step down, both in terms of resolution but also aliasing, which is prevalent, and slowdown due to lower FPS. But the graphics on PS4 Pro are definitely good overall and so do not let them deter you. The PS4 Pro version runs at a checkerboarded 1800p. Tracks and cars look great on both versions, but again, there is definitely a difference. The series staple fantasy tracks they added, Deep Forest, Trial Mountain and High Speed Ring, all are great fun and of course they have never looked better.

The controls on the PS5 version with the dual sense controller are best ever IMO for a racing game with a controller, in that the dual sense allows you to feel so much more than a typical controller - rumble strips, collisions, lack of grip, its all here. On the PS4 Pro I am playing with my Accuforce using GIMX and the FFB is great. Its very strong and I can feel weight transfer and the car losing grip, but no curb feeling unfortunately.

I am doing the single player mode on PS5 and its good fun. There is a cafe with a bunch of menus that basically introduce you to the different parts of the game while offering nice rewards. Its a great way to show you around. I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. Progression is pretty good, I have not felt the need to buy any cars yet. I already have 2.2 million credits, which includes the 1.6 million I got via purchasing the digital deluxe version of the game.

Multiplayer via GT Sport mode, which is somewhat similar to iRacing's SR/iRating system, is hit and miss right now. I say that because the set ups are open which means there is a huge imbalance between the dudes that figured out how to get the car to 295 HP and as low of a weight as possible. The setups should be fixed, just like GT Sport. This is a console racing game, not iRacing. The racing also seems rougher than GT Sport, not sure why that is.

Sounds seem improved from earlier GT games, no more vacuum cleaner sounds like we had before. We are not yet to the level of Race Room or ACC, but overall the sounds are nice. My Sony Pulse 3D wireless headset works very nicely, plenty of volume and the spatial audio works well. For example, when a car is beside me, it sounds like it is beside me.

The game runs and plays quite well, its the most polished PS5 game I have played. Moving between menus and load times on PS5 are really fast, somewhat slower on my PS4 Pro which has an SSD installed.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for how. I am sure I will be playing this one for years. I may not stick with the PS4 Pro set up, however, I am just not very happy about the changes to GT Sport mode and the downgrade in graphics is very noticeable. Moreover, the controller experience with the PS5 version has wildly exceeded my expectations. This one may end up being just a controller game for me and I will give my son the PS4 Pro so he can play Spiderman and other Sony games he likes.

In any event, buy with confidence!!!

I ended up giving my son my PS4 when I was able to finally source and buy my PS5 a year ago. I've been ale to benefit from it's more powerful hardware even with my PS4 games that are optimized for it in relation to more solid frame rates, etc. ....and for those titles that are enhanced for it, it made a big difference not to mention the games that have dedicated next-gen releases.

GT7 is one of the first games to really take advantage of the DS controller haptic features, etc. There are a couple other I've been impressed with but maybe not as much as in GT7.

I'm the opposite of most folks in that I've inherited my son's PS4 Pro after he bought a PS5.

That being said, I was able to pay a bit on his PS5 while he was at work. He doesn't have a 4K TV, so the upgrade in visuals compared to the PS4 Pro (playing on my 4k setup) wasn't too great. Where I really found the greatest difference was the feeling of the PS5 controller. Now I finally understand what people were talking about with all the haptic feedback marketing. It's a world of difference from the PS4 controller.

Once PS5 consoles eventually become readily available, I'll be picking one up for sure. Until then, the PS4 Pro is still a nice way to go and I really don't feel like I'm missing out since GT7 is a vast improvement over GT Sport. Granted, if my son had a 4k TV I might feel differently.

From the digital Foundry deep dive essentially the ps4 pro is missing some extra foliage, trees, slightly less detailed shadows and anti aliasing but nothing really that will affect the actual racing. The only issue I have come across on my pro was heavy rain with a lot of cars in close proximity and the frame rate bogged down a bit but once folks spread out a few seconds later it was back to normal.

The racing is good and it looks good on my last gen machine so in that regard I am quite impressed but I do have issues with other parts of GT7 but I won't derail this thread going into them.

I'm the opposite of most folks in that I've inherited my son's PS4 Pro after he bought a PS5.

That being said, I was able to pay a bit on his PS5 while he was at work. He doesn't have a 4K TV, so the upgrade in visuals compared to the PS4 Pro (playing on my 4k setup) wasn't too great. Where I really found the greatest difference was the feeling of the PS5 controller. Now I finally understand what people were talking about with all the haptic feedback marketing. It's a world of difference from the PS4 controller.

Once PS5 consoles eventually become readily available, I'll be picking one up for sure. Until then, the PS4 Pro is still a nice way to go and I really don't feel like I'm missing out since GT7 is a vast improvement over GT Sport. Granted, if my son had a 4k TV I might feel differently.
The improvements are beyond just the resolution though. When you see a side by side comparison, you realize just how different the two versions are.

Back