GTMSA Presents: VW Golf IV Cup Season 2 - Preseason Discussion

• Thread starter LancerEvo7
  • 173 comments
United States
LMSCorvetteGT2's Mom's House
GTP_LancerEvo7
golfcupbanner.jpg

Welcome to the Volkswagen Golf IV Cup! This is a spec series using the VW Golf IV RM with a small power boost.

The Car - Volkswagen Golf IV GTi Cup Car
golfcuppartstobuy.jpg

Rules:
1. GTP's Online Racing Rules apply.
2. Cars must be run to the exact specs given.
3. Two tires must be on-track at all times. As these are longer races, minor off-track excursions are expected. Rejoin the field without disrupting other racers and no penalties will be given. Absolutely NO shortcuts.
4. Some contact due to lag and close racing is to be expected. It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to ensure the pass is completed cleanly. If you hit another driver and cause them to leave the track, you should allow them to regain their position ahead of you.
5. If a driver is catching you on a straight, you may change lanes twice to defend your position. Excessive blocking will be penalized.

Reporting Incidents:
If there is an incident you feel should be investigated, send me (LancerEvo7) a Private Message on the forums with the offending driver's PSN and the lap the incident occured. You have 5 days after the completion of the race to report incidents.

Schedule:

Round 1 - Indianapolis Road Course - 9/10 (75mi - 29 Laps)
picture.php

Round 2 - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - 9/17 (75mi - 35 Laps)
picture.php

Round 3 - Tokyo R246 - 9/24 (75mi - 24 Laps)
picture.php

Round 4 - Madrid Reverse - 10/2 (50mi - TBD Laps)
picture.php

Round 5 - Nurburgring 24H - 10/8 (100mi Enduro - Time & Weather Change - 8 Laps)
map4.jpg

Number of Laps for all races to be announced.

Race Procedure:

The race will take place in my lounge. Once you join, add GTP_LancerEvo7 on PSN.

Saturday:
7:00 PM GMT - Lounge Opens for Practice
7:45 PM GMT - Qualifying Begins
8:00 PM GMT - Race Begins
8:30 PM GMT (9:00 PM GMT For Endurances) - Approximate Finish Time

Click here to see the start time in your timezone.

The race is expected to take just over an hour, and around two hours for endurances.

If we get enough entries, knockout qualifying will be held the Friday before the race.

2nd: 40
3rd: 30
4th: 25
5th: 22
6th: 20
7th: 18
8th: 16
9th: 14
10th: 12
11th: 10
12th: 8
13th: 6
14th: 4
15th: 3
16th: 2
DNQ: 1
DSQ: 0

If you DNF you will receive last place points.
If you DNS you will receive half of last place points.

Weight Penalty:
Weight Penalty is cumulative. If you win the first race, you will carry 10kg of ballast for race 2. If you then finish 3rd in race 2, you will add a further 8kg of weight, for a total of 18kg. Weight is to be placed at 0 (center of car).

You must finish the race on the lead lap to have ballast added.

1st: +10kg
2nd: +8kg
3rd: +5kg
4th: +3kg
5th: +2kg
6th: +1kg
DNQ: -5kg (if applicable)
DSQ: +25kg

To Register:
Simply post in this thread in the following format:

#xx - Username (PSN Name) - Country - Car Color

Sign-Up List:
#43 - LancerEvo7 (GTP_LancerEvo7) - USA - Cyberia Blue *DIRECTOR*
#11 - Wardez (Wardez) - USA - Yellow *STEWARD*
#38 - CAMikaze (GTP_CAMikaze) - USA - Aqua Blue Titan Pearl Metallic *STEWARD*

#1 - toyotsupra (toyotsupra) - ENG - Black
#4 - tunernaut (tunernaut) - USA - Matt Black
#21 - FunkMuffin (FlexiDigit) - USA - Amaranth Purple

#22 - sethfraz22 (sethfraz22) - USA - Black
#24 - Ruta (Ruta_Barracuda) - USA - Green Collection Perleffekt
#27 - OwensRacing (OwensRacing) - USA - TBD
#31 - Elitedriver123 (gtamann123) - USA - Pathfinder Blue Pearlescent
#33 - Hummelracing33 (GTP_HummelRacing) - USA - Giallo Fly
#42 - rocko100 (spartyfan95) - USA - Hellblau
#64 - CMICK64 (CMICK64) - USA - Passionate Pink
#66 - bdubclub (bdubclub) - USA - Matte White
#77 - StigsHero (BrandonW77) - USA - TBD (Matte Black?)

#80- TJC_69 (TJ_McBigCack ) - SCO - Tor Red
#99 - paulmac2k9 (paulmac2k9) - SCO - Vitamin C
#TBD - Johnnypenso (yuritardid) - CAN - TBD

News:
1. If anyone would like to take pictures to use as banners, feel free, send them to me via PM and I'll edit them as necessary. Also, if I missed anything, let me know.
2. A minor change in sign-ups has been made.
3. Wardez is now a Series Steward.
4. Congrats to bdubclub for winning the first race of the season by six thousandths of a second!
5. The Tokyo R246 race was shortened to 50mi due to a delay caused by a live timing error.
6. Beginning with Round 4 at Suzuka, sprint races will be 50 miles long, and endurance rounds will be 100 miles. Points will be doubled at endurances.
7. The season has been shortened in order to finish before the 2.0 Update.

Last edited:
Round 1 - Indianapolis

Qualifying
1. bdubclub - 1:42.543
2. tunernaut - +0:00.134
3. CMICK64 - +0:00.364
4. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:00.503
5. GTP_CAMikaze - +0:00.578
6. toyotsupra - +0:01.060
7. gtamann123 - +0:01.618
8. FlexiDigit - +0:02.157
9. o8jedi - +0:03.643
10. paulmac2k9 - No Time Recorded

Race:
1. bdubclub - 0'51:07.700
2. CMICK64 - +0:00.006
3. GTP_CAMikaze - +0:08.597
4. tunernaut - +0:08.667
5. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:31.939
6. gtamann123 - +1:16.310
7. o8jedi - +1 Lap
8. FlexiDigit - DNF (Disconnection)
9. paulmac2k9 - DNF (Disconnection)
10. toyotsupra - DNF (Disconnection)

Round 2 - Laguna Seca

Qualifying:
1. paulmac2k9 - 1:32.444
2. CMICK64 - +0:00.666
3. toyotsupra - +0:00.971
4. gtamann123 - +0:01.153
5. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:01.268
6. BrandonW77 - +0:05.403

Race:
1. CMICK64 - 55:56.703
2. toyotsupra - +0:04.606
3. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:09.882
4. BrandonW77 - +1 Lap
5. gtamann123 - DNF (Unknown Reason)
6. paulmac2k9 - DNF (Disconnection)

Round 3 - Tokyo R246
Race shortened to 50mi (16 Laps) due to delay caused by live timing error)

Qualifying:
1. GTP_LancerEvo7 - 1:52.900
2. paulmac2k9 - +0:00.062
3. toyotsupra - +0:01.584
4. CMICK64 - +0:01.634
5. GTP_CAMikaze - +0:02.594

Race:
1. GTP_LancerEvo7 - 30:58.499
2. toyotsupra - +0:09.947
3. CMICK64 - 0:09.994
4. GTP_CAMikaze - 0:20.172
5. paulmac2k9 - DNF (Disconnection)

Round 4 - Madrid

Qualifying:
1. CMICK64 - 1:33.347
2. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:00.066
3. GTP_CAMikaze - +0:00.699

Race:
1. CMICK64 - 38:25.072
2. GTP_LancerEvo7 - +0:08.164
3. GTP_CAMikaze - +1:01.884
4. toyotsupra - DNS

Round 5 - Nurburgring

Qualifying:
1. CMICK64
2. toyotsupra
3. GTP_LancerEvo7
4. GTP_CAMikaze

Race:
1. CMICK64
2. GTP_LancerEvo7
3. toyotsupra
4. GTP_CAMikaze

Final Points:
1. CMICK64 - 270
2. GTP_LancerEvo7 - 222
3. toyotsupra - 164.5
4. GTP_CAMikaze - 125
5. paulmac2k9 - 56
6. bdubclub - 50
7. gtamann123 - 42
8. tunernaut - 25
9. BrandonW77 - 25
10. o8jedi - 18
11. FlexiDigit - 16

Last edited:
#53 - o8_jedi (o8jedi) - USA - Flashrot

One note: Got the vehicle, purchased the upgrades and am at the required 197 HP and 980 kg before break-in, but only at 434 performance points. I may just be stupid, but I'm not sure what it means to go about "applying the racing exhaust."

EDIT: Nevermind, got the 441 PP by cranking up the aeros. Carry on.

Last edited:
Sign me up!

#24 - Ruta (Ruta_Barracuda) - Green Collection Perleffekt

Also, I'll be missing the first race (9/10) because I'm moving to a new apartment that weekend.

Yeah this would be perfect to run right after the GT4 Cup race on Saturday mornings. Love the car.

#11 - Wardez (Wardez) - Yellow

But I'm not sure about running Daytona with these cars, I don't really think it suits well - never had a good race there anyway. Indianapolis is sort of the same; it's mostly bad because it's so flat, the under steer would destroy my patience for life.

Why not something else if you don't mind considering? Here's some tracks I think would fit well:
Grand Valley - any configuration, but I'd prefer GVE Rev.

Cape Ring Inside - a lot funner than you'd think, great undulation character for FF cars.

Eiger Nordwand - I think this track would be a must. It's always a supremely good track for FF cars since it would pull us around the rough track easily and keep them on edge.

Deep Forest - Just makes sense. Reverse configuration could be a nice change, big uphill challenge.

And Nurbugring GP/D -
I mean
CfwdP.jpg

come-on.

It's a Germ... It's a Gerhaaa... It's a good track. Might be a little on the understeery side but it could be a great choice.

Other than that, love the choices, love the city-circuit love.

Cheers, can't wait to put it all out thar!

Last edited:
^I'm trying to keep the selection to real or could-be-real tracks. Anything in the first post is subject to change. I might drop Daytona for the 'Ring GP/D.

Also, minor thing, to make the cars look like true cup cars, rim paint isn't allowed.

All sign-ups have been added.

Edited and noted, thanks. No problem sticking with stock rim color 👍.

But ok, real or could-be-real tracks... hmm so... Tokyo's not really a track! and neither is Madrid?

Ok they're real in the sense that they're real places. So! With that logic at my behest I'd like to further suggest the possibility of including Eiger NordWand, since it IS a place!

*waits anxiously*

btw: I changed my car color to Pantone 109, aka "yellow."

^The in-game city tracks use real roads, and although they aren't real racetracks, it would be possible for them to be. I don't believe Eiger could host a race in real life. The 'Ring GP/D has replaced Daytona on the schedule. I agree, it would be a much better track.

LancerEvo7, can you cancel my registration please i just found out my schedule won't work with this Series unfortunately:(((((((

Would anyone be interested in running a preseason race this weekend?

Departmental picnic this Saturday at the normal race time, then Camaro series in the evening, then hoping I don't get hit by the hurricane. So, I probably wouldn't be able to do a pre-season this weekend.

I'll have a room open around 3 EDT on Sunday. All are welcome to attend.

this would fit nicely between my fun series on a saturday Ferrari Challenge ends around 8:20 GMT so i could jump straight in after its finished i have a Golf RM already (Used in previous series on different website) but its got all upgrades i know i can remove them but would it be better for me to buy a whole new Golf RM for the series ill sign up after i know this ;)

Yeah, I'll be the guy to ask again:

Why can't we choose our own wheels / wheel colour? :/

I'll answer the same as before:

So the cars look consistent with each other. Look at the Clio/mm-R/Lupo/Beetle Cup Cars.

I'll answer the same as before:

So the cars look consistent with each other. Look at the Clio/mm-R/Lupo/Beetle Cup Cars.

Those are all Standards, though. If PD wanted all the wheels to be "consistent," they wouldn't let us choose from a plethora of different wheels. The proof of that being that for the Corvettes and the Lotus RM, they don't let us change the wheels.

ok no prob Lancer ill get a new one then update you with number and car colour ;)

MÜLE_9242;5799693
Those are all Standards, though. If PD wanted all the wheels to be "consistent," they wouldn't let us choose from a plethora of different wheels. The proof of that being that for the Corvettes and the Lotus RM, they don't let us change the wheels.

800px-Motorland_Arag%C3%B3n._2009_Renault_Clio_Cup.jpg

Note how all the cars have the same rims. I'm not going by what PD wants, but by what would be the most realistic.

we have Clio Cup and Minis in Uk they also look like that 👍

I'm in!

#21 FunkMuffin (FlexiDigit) - USA - Amaranth Purple

Think this could be really fun, since I had a 2001 GTI IRL.

I'll also weigh in that I think it could be pretty cool if we could at least color coordinate our wheels. Perfectly OK with not changing the wheels, but would like to change the color.

Last edited:
For verification from a third party, based upon my calculations of time-zones (I am +10GMT) this puts it at 9am Sunday mornings for me, right? If so, I should be there..

Only thing I can't work out... I have applied the upgrades as per the initial post and only have 189BHP???

1. Bought the base Golf IV from the NCD.
2. Applied upgrades as per initial post.
3. Have not driven it.

Any suggestions as to what I may have missed?

Well if you're in Queensland Rumb then the start time for you will actually be around 5:00AM Sunday Morning.

I'll also weigh in that I think it could be pretty cool if we could at least color coordinate our wheels. Perfectly OK with not changing the wheels, but would like to change the color.

Yeah, at least let us change the color. On the pic you show, the wheels of the cars are different colors ;)

Well if you're in Queensland Rumb then the start time for you will actually be around 5:00AM Sunday Morning.

Pract @ 5, qual @ 5:45, race @ 6 right? Do they have DLS?

I have a lovely matte pink car for this, 6am is a bit rough though :(

PS: What about the BHP difference?

Last edited:
Back