• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
1951-1958 Pegaso Tipo Z-102 nominated by @Snikle

1955-pegaso-tipo-z-2-thumb-960xauto-70475.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coup, 2-door convertible
Engine: 2.5 liter V8, 2.8 liter V8, 3.2 liter supercharged V8
Power: 160-175 hp (N/A), 360 hp (supercharged)
Torque: 159 lb-ft
Weight: 990 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Info: Built in Spain. The supercharged versions could reach 151 mph, making it the fastest production car in 1951, beating the Jaguar XK120 for the title - They were built with little thought to expense, and production ended due to costs in 1958 - Pegasos were bodied mainly by Carrozzeria Touring, but some were also done by Saoutchick along with a few other coachbuilders - Production believed to have been 84, but some sources vary between 71 and 86 - The only road car made by the Spanish company, who usually made heavy trucks - Project of former Alfa Romeo chief engineer Wifredo Ricart.

Wire wheels. Instant SU.

On a serious note though, Sub Zero. It's gorgeous! 'Nuff said.

Though I will say this: it's about as anonymous as anonymous can get, and this is the case with many '50s and '60s sports cars made by small, dead manufacturers. It's not a Ferrari, Jaguar, or Aston, therefore no one will have any clue what it is having seen one in public, even most car enthusiasts. Ordinarily, having to explain what kind of car your car is to people on the regular isn't very cool, but in this case, it only increases it's coolness, as it adds to the car's mystique. People would be delighted to know that this car was made by a small, exclusive company from Spain of all places- you don't quite get these reactions after telling a crowd that your "Porsche 911" is actually a RUF BTR.

I first found out about this car from an old coffee table book my Granddad gave me. The book was mostly 30s cars (Which in retrospect might be why I love those so much), but there were a few 50s cars featured as well. Reading about this car was pretty interesting, and going online and finding many, many more pictures of it was even better. As @GranTurNismo said, they do look a but anonymous, or at least some of them do. The Carrozerria Touring (3rd and 4th additional pictures) ones are the most generic, and they do look a bit anonymous, but I still think they're beautiful cars. Then we have the Saoutchick ones -- the lead image and the convertible image. Those are my absolute favorites. The topless one was my wallpaper for a while. It might be my favorite looking 50s car, although that's probably just because I'm thinking about it now. Sub Zero all day.

The Touring bodied ones are quite pretty but the Saoutchick are ungainly to say the least. Still a cool.

small dead manufacturers

Pegaso? They blended into Iveco eventually but their output of all kinds of vehicles was fairly prodigious.

It's not a Ferrari, Jaguar, or Aston, therefore no one will have any clue what it is having seen one in public, even most car enthusiasts.

You're not looking at the Pegaso bit though, you're looking at a Zagato body. Some people will probably misidentify this as a Ferrari, Maserati or Alfa on that basis but there's nothing about this other than the badge that gives an identity for the chassis. Just like many Ferraris, Maseratis and Alfas of that era.

Anyway... it's gorgeous. Sub-zero.

Gave it a meh. Just above a Meh. Lots going on in that design. From the OP angle, the greenhouse looks like a Karmann Ghia, bonnet scoop like a Thunderbird, also the front lights like a Thunderbird or Sunbeam Tiger and the bottom belt line like a Ferrari of some sort.

Pegaso? They blended into Iveco eventually but their output of all kinds of vehicles was fairly prodigious.

You're not looking at the Pegaso bit though, you're looking at a Zagato body. Some people will probably misidentify this as a Ferrari, Maserati or Alfa on that basis but there's nothing about this other than the badge that gives an identity for the chassis. Just like many Ferraris, Maseratis and Alfas of that era.

Anyway... it's gorgeous. Sub-zero.
Pegaso officially died in 1994. They stopped producing sports cars long before that. that's what I was referring to by "dead brand".

Back