Torque: 278 ft-lbs
Weight: 1315 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive​

1969_Lamborghini_Islero_S_-_fvr.jpg

Lamborghini-Islero-S-Car-12.jpg

83_254_54.jpg

P1090857.jpg

Never heard of this Lambo before. Looks pretty cool with the smooth lines and has performance figures to to with it.

Solid cool.

I feel like I should vote just Cool, but I know I've given Sub Zero to cars which are WAY less cool than this.

Not as pretty as the earlier 350GT/400GT, but it's still very cool.

I love how you can see the kind of remit with this (as a development of the 350 and 400), Signor Lamborghini saying I want a classy GT car with a big very powerful V12 engine that can go very fast and give Ferrari a run for his money...and that's pretty much what you get.

I also remember my Dad, never as much of a car nerd as me, mentioning a road test (again not 100% sure if it was this or the 350 or 400) in Autocar or some other UK car mag of the day, where the reviewer remarked how he was able to quite easily spark up and smoke a cigarette with the window wide open, at speed, because of the car's aerodynamics. Sub Zero then, and I don't even smoke.

A Lamborghini overshadowed by it's more popular older brother the Miura.
Still a beautiful car, rather than the radical designs lamborghini have today.
Performance is good too, so SZ from me.

This nomination was an answer to a challenge from another member to find a European car to nominate that I found cool. (right before my last nomination, the Lunar Rover) I think it was @Liquid if I remember correctly.

It took me a while while to find one that hadn't already been nominated/polled. Then of course I saw something shiny and got distracted for a while, but here it is.

That being said, SZ from me.

Starting from SU:

Looks like a decent car, however a bit weird or od looking, if you don't know the manufactuer, becomes at least a bit Uncool.

Car was made in the 60's and had a fancy interior, goes up to Meh.

Then you find out it's made by Lamborghini, bumped to a Cool.

Lastly. The engine. A V12. And manual only. For this, I am truly sorry to not have known this car. RIGHT TO THE FREEZER.

Not necessarily one of the first cars you think of when you think Lamborghini, but it's still a classic Lamborghini that's a treat to see.

Cool.

This nomination was an answer to a challenge from another member to find a European car to nominate that I found cool. (right before my last nomination, the Lunar Rover) I think it was @Liquid if I remember correctly.

It took me a while while to find one that hadn't already been nominated/polled. Then of course I saw something shiny and got distracted for a while, but here it is.

That being said, SZ from me.

I appreciate you accepting my "challenge". 👍

I think it's very cool. It's the kind of car you wear a scarf in and have driving gloves and have a mustache. Cool. :cool:

"Wait, is this really a Lamborghini, or are you just playing games with me?"

Uncool. Not that the Countach/Diablo/Murcielago/Aventador/Gallardo/Huracan/the 🤬 ton of one-offs Lamborghini has made are any cooler.

1. Couldn't they have pulled more power out of that V12?
2. Why make a four-seater car with only two doors? That hurts its accessibility. It's better off being a 2 door, 2 seater.
3. It just doesn't appeal to me.

#3 puts it at a Meh, the other two put it down to Seriously Uncool.

2. Why make a four-seater car with only two doors? That hurts its accessibility. It's better off being a 2 door, 2 seater.

ok on 3rd and 2nd.

But, for it's time, this was decently powered. Comparing to muscle cars, it had a smaller engine with similar power and competition from Europe was generally weaker. Also it's a GT, they don't need more power to make the ride as smooth as possible. It's also lighter than most of modern GTs, also the contemporary GTs.

EDIT it's luxury sports car not a GT

3 is fine, but being a four seater makes it SU? The Ferrari Daytona that was out at that time put out 347 BHP also out of a V12.

3 is fine, but being a four seater makes it SU? The Ferrari Daytona that was out at that time put out 347 BHP also out of a V12.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a 4 seater...with four doors.

Coupe + 4 seats = difficult to drive people around.

350 hp from a smaller V12 than the Colombo found in a Ferrari 365 which produced the same amount of power. At the time this was as much as one could wish for in a usable road car.

That said, they eventually did get a little more from the V12 later models until they pegged it back to 350 hp in the late '70s Countach.

Some wealthy folk wanted sporty styling without entirely doing away with (infant) passenger accommodation.

Ferrari catered to their desires with the 330 and Lamborghini wanted in on the action. Originally they offered the 350 GT with an optional 2+1 seating but once the size increased with the 400 GT (of which the Islero was a re-body with an even roomier interior), they added the second rear seat. Even if adults couldn't fit without leg removal, it was likely seen as more versatile and roomy than having a simple rear shelf taking up what little space was available.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a 4 seater...with four doors.

Coupe + 4 seats = difficult to drive people around.

I'm not sure why you're raising this issue now when it hasn't swayed your vote in the past. Unless this is a case by case thing and you're not just generalising coupes as "uncool because guaranteed rear passenger leg pain".

I'm no fan of the rearward styling. So I can at least see where the appeal can be lost.

Though to me that just means it isn't quite SZ material. Easier to use and more refined than its predecessor but noticeably less elegant other than the front.

Cool.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're raising this issue now when it hasn't swayed your vote in the past. Unless this is a case by case thing and you're not just generalising coupes as "uncool because guaranteed rear passenger leg pain".
This is a case-by-case deal, sir. I just find the 4 seats in a 2 door Lamborghini pointless - especially if it was at the top of what was possible, power wise, at its time.

I'm no fan of the rearward styling. So I can at least see where the appeal can be lost.

Though to me that just means it isn't quite SZ material. Easier to use and more refined than it's predecessor but noticeably less elegant other than the front.
The other thing is Lamborghinis just irritate me for whatever reason. Haven't figured out why.

Putting aside the fact that digging around for old quotes to construct an argument comes across as obsessive, borderline creepy to me, saying the Fiat Coupe is a bit fugly but likeable isn't really a heartfelt endorsement of two-door, four seater cars in every possible iteration/month/poll, even if I have no problem with them myself.

Back