Body Style:
1-door semi-monocoque concept
Engine: 5.0 L V12
Power Output: 550 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 900 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: Made by Pininfarina, this was based on one of the 25 512 S racers Ferrari built for homologation purposes. Over this racing chassis Pininfarina very tightly draped a squarish and ultra-low body. All wheels were partly covered, which made it impossible to turn the front wheels. One of the most striking features is the canopy style roof that slides forward to allow access to the cabin. The 550 bhp V12 engine could be admired through 24 big holes in the engine cover. Pininfarina received universal acclaim and multiple awards for the striking concept that still dazzles the crowds 35 years after its launch. Pininfarina retained the car and has showcased it on numerous events allowing many generations to appreciate the exceptional design.​
Ferrari-512-S-Modulo.jpg

Ferrari-512-S-Modulo.jpg

Ferrari-512-S-Modulo.jpg

Ferrari-512-S-Modulo.jpg

Concept cars are fine by me, and it's interesting but not being able to turn the wheels lets it down completely.
Being a conversation starter saves it from Seriously Uncool.

Pininfarina retained the car and has showcased it on numerous events allowing many generations to appreciate the exceptional design.
But not how it drives...

That would be uncool enough, but this crowns it:
All wheels were partly covered, which made it impossible to turn the front wheels.
You couldn't actually drive it even if you wanted to and had all the necessary clearance to do so, because it can't be driven. It's not really "exceptional design" if it is fundamentally impossible for it to function as the thing it's designed to be.

So this is literally just a sculpture.

Looks like something that the sandmen out of Logan's Run would drive.

Dribble, dribble, dribble............stunning SZ 45year old car.

Supercars today should be as imaginative as this was in 1970.

Supercars today should be as imaginative as this was in 1970.

Wedge was already in vogue when this was put together. Peninfarina was actually the last of the Italian design houses to join the fight, and Gandini had the even crazier Stratos Zero out only a few months later.

This thing always annoyed me as a child because I couldn't work out how one could possibly drive it if there was no space for the wheels to turn in.

By virtue of the way the front fenders are already separate entities for wheel/tire installation, it could have been made to work...

p6271758.jpg

...and the above is limited by the original car's use of a beam front axle. I have no doubt there are other means of making the fender move out of the way of the tire for purposes of steering. Heck, even an elaborate cycle fender setup that allows for air to reach the brakes when the leading edge of the fender is away from the front bodywork could've been employed.

Not sure where the OP info is from, but I understood it did have some steering clearance, just not very much, as evidenced (but only just!) in that video. Also the front "fenders" do appear to be separate, potentially moveable parts, along the lines of TexRex's post above. Anyway it works in a manner of speaking, and probably a lot more effectively than some much older cars, so for me it's a car, and on a personal level, an SZ one.

So you want them to ban concept cars too? are the SUBRC guys getting bored now?

Anyways

cool engine, bad body.
Meh.
The Seriously Uncool Because Concept Car trope is used by a lot of people here on GTPlanet, such as the legendary @Famine. I don't however apply this trope to race cars.

The Seriously Ubcool Because Concept Car trope is used by a lot of people here on GTPlanet, such as the legendary @Famine. I don't however apply this trope to race cars.

I was somewhat disappointed to see race cars go, and I don't want to see concept cars go either, they have value, they showcase the future of automotive design and tech, and they make some pretty sweet roadcars too. Plus it's fun to see the occasional zany car come through here to liven things up.

I don't mind how the car looks as a whole, but covering up the front wheels is just a big no-no.

Would have been a high Cool but gets an SU just for that.

It's been pulled off...

autowp.ru_nash_rambler_custom_airflyte_1.jpg

...just not in this particular instance.

yeah I know another car that has its front wheels covered up. One of the first cars Saab ever made (can't remember its name but I do recall the shape). The reason for that is to make the shape of the car more aerodynamic, but it ultimately failed (classic case of a badly-executed good idea) because if the car was driven on snow, snow would literally build up under the wheel arches and then the car couldn't steer anymore.

Back