Engines:
3.6L Twin Turbo I6 (Lotus-Opel C36GET)
Power: 377 hp
Torque: 419 lb-ft.
Weight: 1633 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan
Additional Info: "Lotus Carlton is Lotus tuned version of a Vauxhall Carlton/Opel Omega. The engine is originally based on a 3.0 Opel I6 engine, Lotus increased the displacement to 3.6 liters and added twin turbocharger with an intercooler system. Also the steering and the suspension were tuned by Lotus. The Lotus version can be distinguished from a standard Carlton/Omega by small Lotus badges, bodykit, vents on the bonnet and a rear spoiler. It was only available in very dark green. Only 950 were made before the production was discontinued, due to low sales."​
78439065_o.jpg

Lotus-Carlton.jpg

vauxhall_lotus-carlton-1990-92_r13.jpg

vauxhall_lotus-carlton-1990-92_r12.jpg

Vauxhall-Lotus-Carlton-1990-1992-Photo-11-800x600.jpg
lotus-carlton-interior-1.jpg

These things are seriously sub zero. Down here everyone would think you're a bogan in a modified Commodore with a beer maker's sticker on the back. I will not let their ignorance sway my vote.

Send it to the fridge with the other Carltons', and grab me one while you're there, Bruce.
cold1-thumb-400x224-135983.jpg

I will not sugar coat it: I absolutely ADORE this car. Am I biased? Perhaps, but tell me what does this car have that it's not good.

Top Speed? Faster than most performance sedans of its era, and even faster than certain supercars. Handling? Hardly an example of refinement, but it is a major riot to drive (powerslides everywhere). Chav vibe? Okay, it may have a bit of that, but rising prices will put off most of the possible chav owners before they even look at the car.

Ok, so it's a Carlton with flared wheel arches and a spoiler, but it is not a job done by a spanner. It uses a Corvette ZR1 gearbox, and two turbochargers. It's the transformation of a grandfather's car into a bonafide perfomance monster that makes this car so cool.

Give me a fridge, quickly. I don't mind the chav vibes because deep down, this is inmense fun. And that's what I want from a car like this, a fun time.

Oh yeah, there's also the fact that it was a tremendous middle finger to police forces around Europe. Don't forget that the British police had just received a fleet of Senators from Vauxhall at the time of th Carlton's release, that were unable to keep up with the Carltons. How tremendously ironic, huh? :lol:

Also, here's another video, an old Top Gear video featuring Tiff Needel. And some powersliding...

I'm not being consistent here, as I've voted lesser cars as cool (Mazdaspeed6, Type R Accord), but my gut says uncool for this. Vauxhall for one, and the just absurd amount of power for two. Probably actually makes good use of the wing, but that doesn't help its coolness either...

The sleeper of choice and the one we all love. Not even Vauxhallness takes away it's cool status, because you can call it simply a Lotus Carlton.

Very cool, bordering Sub-Zero

Ok, let's see if I get the meaning of this picture... It's either a "no sh:censored:" moment, or something that tells me that it hard to believe. One of the two...
More like a "You're picking me up for our date in that!?!" reaction.

It's Kristin Scott Thomas.

Initially, part of the Top Gear Cool Wall coolness factor rested on the extent to which the presenters believed each car would impress English actress Kristin Scott Thomas.

More like a "You're picking me up for our date in that?" reaction.

Initially, part of the Top Gear Cool Wall coolness factor rested on the extent to which the presenters believed each car would impress English actress Kristin Scott Thomas.

That wouldn't work on me for the following two reasons;

1 - I would NOT be picking her up for a date.
2 - If I get asked that question, she'll be left where she is, date over. My response would be "If you're judging me by what I drive I have no time for your snobbiness love".

Oh, come on, it doesn't look bad at all. It's not like it's a SL65 Black Series or something, this looks sporty but sedate.

I never said it looked bad. But cool? As much as I like them, no Carlton holds that accolade.

Let's not forget that we're also talking about a Vauxhall (Opel) here. The internal Lotus upgrades are the only thing keeping this above the lowest possible voting option for me.

More like a "You're picking me up for our date in that!?!" reaction.

Ah, I remember that, faintly but I do. In a way, I can see the KST factor being rather slim for a Lotus Carlton. Mind you, picking up girls isn't really an objective for a performance sedan to accomplish, if you ask me. That's more of a job for a supercar, really.

Still, a LOTUS Carlton has far more of a KST factor than a normal, "granddad" Vauxhall equivalent...

Back