Body Style: 2-door roadster
Engines: 2.2L L4 Ecotec Z22SE, 2.0L L4 turbocharged Z20LET
Power : 145 hp, 200 hp (Turbo)
Torque: 150 lb-ft, 184 lb-ft (Turbo)
Weight: 870-930 kg
Transmission: Getrag F23 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
Based on the Lotus Elise platform, the Speedster was a light-weight, agile vehicle powered by 4-cylinder gasoline transversely mid-mounted engine that could drive the car to a top speed of 135 mph and go from 0 to 62 in under 6 seconds. Although its lack of horsepower placed it below supercars like Ferraris, Lambos or Porsches, lightweight construction proved to be an immense aid in tight cornering. 2003 saw the introduction of a new, more powerful turbocharged engine. The turbo version was able to reach a top speed of 242 km/h (150 mph) and accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds. The car was hailed by the motoring press as a great drivers' car and won several accolades, including Top Gear's Car of the Year in 2003. The 2.2 NA (naturally aspirated) version was considered the easier drive of the two standard variants.​

opel-speedster_1923_1.jpg

Opel-Speedster_Turbo-2003-1600-07.jpg

Opel-Speedster_Turbo_2003_1600x1200_wallpaper_0e.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
My uncle took my for a spin in a VX220 when I was younger. Good lord it was small to get into. It might be fast, light and fun, but it's still a Vauxhall.

Uncool.

The Lambo doors are a modification, as far as I can tell. They had regular doors as standard.

image4.jpg

I love these, but most would just see a 2 seater Vauxhall, so Uncool it is.

Its a fun little car that doesn't weigh much and is based on a very capable platform. Solid cool. Also, possibly the only Vauxhall in existence that has not been a target for boy racers and the stance or camber crowd, so that bumps up the scores a little bit.

Last edited:
In the spoiler images, the last car is in Europa Blue. Only this car and my Astra Coupe SE2 were offered in this colour by Vauxhall.

The car itself is a solid cool.

A heavy Elise...isn't that a bad thing (even if it is only 20kg or so)? Pug fugly--Meh.

Back when I was four, maybe five, I had an Opel Speedster Matchbox car that was green, and I was pretty attached to it. I liked to call it "Bugster" (I didn't know anything about this car then).

Anyhow, the "Bugster" has many things going for it. It's attractive, it has a great power-to-weight ratio (especially the Turbo), it looks mighty fun to drive, and it's quite cute looking.

High cool.

The result of an Elise project car by GM.

Uncool.

I don't care if people think that Opels or Vauxhalls are ricer grounds. If that was so, then it would be SU.

If it wasn't for the Elise, I may have given a vote for cool. The Elise just does it so much better.

Uncool it is.

Quite like these. Light, reasonably well built, quick enough.

Better as a road car than on track though... Did some laps at Bedford in a turbo and found it far too soft at the rear... horrible roll oversteer on turn in.

Cool.

Awesome car. Looks sharp, handles sharper. However, as has been mentioned before...

"So, what do you drive these days?"

"Ah, well, it's like a Lotus underneath, but it's faster and looks better..."

"Well, what is it?"

"Er... it's a Vauxhall."

Two problems there, first is that it's a Vauxhall, second that it requires a justification of "it's a bit like a Lotus" to make it sound less uncool - and that is in and of itself, quite uncool.

And thus: uncool (but I love them).

Poor mans Lotus Elise. Probably a great car to drive though. But they're now getting a touch rare, can't remember the last time I saw one. Low cool.

Maybe this car looks a little awkward, maybe the base model doesn't have enough power, maybe it's an Opel, maybe the interior is a tad wacky, maybe the Elise did things better, but even with all of those flaws, I still can't hate this fun, happy little car.

Cool.

Yes it's how I got my name, yes I loved the car ever since I saw it, yes I would buy one over an Elise.
I honestly love the look of this car, I don't care if it's the "poor man's Elise" or "Oh it's an Opel/Vauxhall bleh!" I personally love this car and (almost) everything about it ^^
One thing I would criticize is:
...they're now getting a touch rare, can't remember the last time I saw one.
Agreed, they're rare as heck, haven't seen one in Australia and I would love to see one let alone buy/drive it.
Cool

The reason why you haven't seen one is because they are only available via personal import (ie. You live in the UK and own one of these cars for over a year, then you can bring it over to Australia).

There is currently a naturally aspirated VX220 on Carsales for $40k.

Back