Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 3.6L water-cooled twin-turbocharged H6
Power: 476 hp
Torque: 470 lb-ft
Weight: 1430 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Porsche 911 GT2 tops out at 315 kilometers per hour, according to Porsche-196 mph, and more to the point, a shade faster than the 911 Turbo, which is all through at 192 mph. But there's a distinction that's obviously academic. The real difference between the two Porsche missiles lies in the sensations the GT2 generates en route to these celestial velocities, and in its behavior on demanding mountain roads. With more power spooling out of its twin-turbo 3.6-liter flat-six, and less weight-about 220 pounds-to propel, the GT2 is quicker than its more civilized cousin. According to the factory estimates, it should do 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.1 seconds, 0 to 100 mph (160 km/h) in 8.5, and 0 to 124 mph (200 km/h) in 12.9. (Source: Caranddriver)​

996-gt2-06.jpg
Porsche-GT2-008.jpg
Porsche-911-996-GT2-Coupe.jpg
18-IMG_1043.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, goes down to a Meh because of that front end... looks sort of disconnected to the rest of the car.

I've always had a soft spot for the 996 911s, the "egg" headlamps are polarizing but I don't find them neither pretty or ugly. They do help in making it look different from a :censored:ing Käfer, it looks classier than the 997, more sedate but the classical swooping lines and dat ass make it look sexy, that subtle yet imposing spoiler being just the cherry on top.

I'd reckon it's a high cool. A girl would think it's cool since it's not so recent and show-offy, so she wouldn't think you're a poser or a show-off. Plus, if you manage to control a RR car with close to 500HP chances are you're a pretty cool guy already.

meh, a boring RR car

Each of your opinions in the Cool Wall posts is more ignorant than the other. Congratulations!

Between the "oh crap we just realized this looks too much like Boxster" emergency headlight change and that stupid front valance that drew direct attention to it, it's easily the least cool of what was already a fairly uncool vehicle.

Fantastic cars, and to me, one of the best looking 911's of all time. I'd love one.

But Porsche's aren't cool. They aren't quite at the same level of desperately uncool as Ferrari though.

Uncool.

Fantastic cars, and to me, one of the best looking 911's of all time. I'd love one.

But Porsche's aren't cool. They aren't quite at the same level of desperately uncool as Ferrari though.

Uncool.

Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to hear why the GT2 is worth having or why its wing is big. People don't think that sort of thing is cool.

It's a shame, because it's a fantastic car, really.

Uncool.

Sub zero if the only factor was its nickname - the widowmaker.

Unfortunately its the ugliest generation 911 with the ugliest rear wing to ever grace a 911. And all those holes in the bodywork, supremely functional as they may be, makes it look like a cheap aftermarket effort.

Uncool, almost seriously so.

Never quite saw the point in the 996 GT2. The regular Turbo was only a touch slower, but did 'useable road car' better. The GT3 did track car/Sunday morning fast road car better. It was probably the most ungainly looking 996 too. Meh.

Simply not as charming as 993 or rutheless as 997. not bad, but there are better Porsches.

I'll agree on the charming bit, but not much in the Porsche lineup was more ruthless than this when it was new. It's missing all of the electronic safety nets the more modern GT3's have, was the first application of Porsche's ceramic brakes, and is known as the Widowmaker. I don't recall a single review ever referring to it as docile.

When Porsches became toys for the yups and the footballers.

No, that'd be the Turbo.

It's not a looker, but I appreciate the no-nonsense approach. I imagine it'd take quite a long time to truly learn the car, and while that's appealing to me, it doesn't really make the car cool. As others have said, a modern classic, but it needs some more time.

I look at the headlights and I just can't see it. I still think it's one of the best looking modern Porsche's besides the Carrera GT and 918. Had they copied-pasted these lights indefinitely instead of the 997's, I would be a bit more excited to see a new 911 drive by.

Its place in the model hierarchy as ultimate performance 911 seals the deal for me. One of Porsche's greats.

Simply not as charming as 993 or rutheless as 997. not bad, but there are better Porsches.
Uh, no. Talk to an actual owner. This was probably the most handful of a Porsche built for the public before the Carrera GT.

These have a high learning curve to go fast in when you have to manage the turbo boost from kicking in at the wrong time. A lot of these were wrecked in Europe making the US models more desirable.

An absolutely brutal car I wouldn't hesitate to take a spin in or own outright. But to the world I would be another snob in a Porsche...

Very, very good car - certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed. Fantastic from the inside as long as you can get used to people thinking it's a Boxster from the front. I've always preferred the GT2s to the GT3s and Turbos, so this has to be a solid cool. If it had been the 997 then it would have been an easy SZ as it has everything the 996 has plus the looks and better interior.

Sub-zero to me. It's the generation that everyone loves to hate (because of the headlights I guess?), but it's my favorite generation and the GT2 is one of the best models. The 996 GT2 is more hardcore and is better looking than the boring (by comparison) 997 version. I won't even compare it to the original 993. Can never beat the original.

Back